Jeff Beck RIP

Rip76

Wow. One of the greats who has an unimpeachable place among the most influential guitarists but whose catalog I know hardly anything about. He's up there with Rory Gallagher shredding on some songs I've still never heard but, if the rest of the guitar playing community is any indication, are probably pretty damn awesome. RIP

• Hook 'Em 2

Damn. That sucks.

Saw him in Tucson a couple of years ago on a double bill with ZZ Top. Odd pairing but very cool show. Outdoor arena and a monsoon blew up just new fire he took the stage. Went out and ripped away in the driving rain. Just tore it up. Great show.

RIP man.

Edit: probably not popular but always dug his playing on Rod Stewart’s version of People Get Ready.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

Wow. One of the greats who has an unimpeachable place among the most influential guitarists but whose catalog I know hardly anything about. He's up there with Rory Gallagher shredding on some songs I've still never heard but, if the rest of the guitar playing community is any indication, are probably pretty damn awesome. RIP

This is me.  I recognize him as top tier, and I couldn't name a song.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

This is me.  I recognize him as top tier, and I couldn't name a song.

I think you would probably know Bolero or Freeway Jam if you pondered it.

Beck is interesting though because he probably the one guy who doesn't really even have a song I like yet I respect immensely.

• Hook 'Em 2

Three things about Beck that I admire and appreciate.

He as much as any player had his own unique voice on the guitar.  He could play one note, and if you heard it, you knew exactly who was playing.

He made his music, with little regard for commercial success.  That even his most well known songs are still pretty esoteric is evidence that he never really compromised what he wanted to write and play in pursuit of a fat paycheck.

He was a player’s player.  Take your top 5 favorite guitarists, and Jeff Beck will be among their favorite guitarists.  He may not have had catchy songs and hits that span the ages, but multiple generations of great guitarists admired and studied his work.  The Berkeley college of music even has a Jeff Beck lab in its course offerings. 

That’s a hell of a legacy, and he was able to do that for 50+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Just poured a tall glass of bourbon and put "Blow by Blow" on the turntable. 

And enjoy. Had the opportunity to see him play in Austin with SRV along with Carlos Santana in Portland, OR years later. He was a “kind of acquired sound/guitarist”. Loved all of his musical endeavors.

RIP Jeff 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He seemed pretty selfless.  He was happy to bring Tal Wilkenfeld out when she was barely out of her teens.  He didn't seem to need the spotlight, lord knows he knew she was gonna grab a ton of it for herself, and deservedly so.

He reminds me of Zappa a bit (without the vocals of course)

They would surround themselves with the best musicians and not care at all about just being part of the band.