2023 Fatass Thread of Dominance

Lurch

On 1/18/2023 at 5:38 AM, Goofyboy said:

Sitting at 232. Goal is smaller waist - maybe 36”. No idea what weight will be but guessing around 205.

Not sure how tall you are, but I got into some 36" jeans at around 210 or so.  215 I could get them on but buttoning them was a bit "uncomfortable".  210 they're still a bit snug but nothing I can't handle through a full day.

• Drool 1

That kind of looks like what happens to me as I get down into the mid/lower 180's lb range.  At 5'-11" (age 56) breaking into the 170's is damn near impossible.  I kind of think something has shifted in my body, because at age 52, I was in the upper 170's and felt very little difference from how I felt in my 30's even though I weighed about ten lbs less back then, which is saying something because I was able to run a sub 5:00 minute mile in my 30's.

A couple of years ago, I had gained some weight up to 200 lbs and I set out to lose weight by at what I thought would be a modest 2lbs per week goal.  I gave up alcohol, dedicated each day to walk an hour, and try to stick to one meal a day (a big salad) during the week. Weekends I  was free to eat sensibly.  To my surprise, my weight came off in a linear fashion to the tune of 4lbs/week until I got down to 184, at which point it predictably slowed.  At that point, being more than happy with things, my plan was to slow things down and get into the 170's with a less drastic approach, but that never materialized and i eventually gained the weight back.
Even though I know, eating is probably about 80% of losing weight, I think once a man gets under 20% body fat, that we need some kind of movement related motivational factor to keep things going.  That could be a race you want to do in a few month's, or a ski trip to get ready for, or some activity that you just want to get better at like cycling, or rock climbing, surfing, skiing etc.  However, as I have gotten older, doing those fun things has become more difficult.  There is a stiffness and struggle component there that was not there when I was just a few years younger.  Joints hurt more, mobility is less, minor injuries occur all the time from seemingly out of nowhere caused by the most minor and random of movements.  What was fairly easy to do just a few years prior has become something like pushing a rock up a hill.
It has been a major adjustment for me not having that extra motivational factor out there and within just a few month's reach.  I still think I can get there, but I have really had to slow my roll and adjust my timelines, which does not always work as your graph has pointed out.

Well I’m 5’ 11’’ and age 57 so this hits close to home. Started November 27 at 196 and hit 180 today (2 months in). Body fat percentage has gone from 23 to 18.5.

Gonna fight like hell to get to 166 by end of March but know it’s gonna be tough for reasons you’ve laid out. I’ve been doing HIIT 6 days a week, strength training 3-4x and walking about 13-15k steps a day. No booze, limited carbs and averaging about 1750 calories a day. I’m retired so fortunate to have the time to do all of that. No way I could have when I was grinding it out in corporate America. Damn it’s hard the older we get.

Keep plugging away everyone. ad7f5d07aeeaf1706b4f61bc84048e2e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Figured I would start here with this question.

I have a home gym that includes two Kettlebells (45 & 65lb respectively)

I have a great app I am using for strength training and often it asks for KB Bench. I have to wrap a Tshirt around my wrist to give myself some type of cushion from the weight of the KB on my wrist bones.

I have gloves for lifting but they don't do anything for my wrist in terms of keeping the weight from just bruising the shit out of me.

Y'all do anything different, have better approach?

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Figured I would start here with this question.

I have a home gym that includes two Kettlebells (45 & 65lb respectively)

I have a great app I am using for strength training and often it asks for KB Bench. I have to wrap a Tshirt around my wrist to give myself some type of cushion from the weight of the KB on my wrist bones.

I have gloves for lifting but they don't do anything for my wrist in terms of keeping the weight from just bruising the shit out of me.

Y'all do anything different, have better approach?

Harbinger wrist wraps.

So I've been running a hell of a lot more over the past 6 months (ran my first Marathon in Houston a few weeks ago) and I've got a few more races left - a 15k in early March and a half marathon in late March.  I've obviously decreased my mileage after finishing marathon training (long runs would be 16-20 miles) but over the last few weeks, I've been back in the gym more often (decreased gym to 3x per week when I was doing marathon training) and holy shit, I've lost a lot of strength. 

Crazy how much long-distance running will impact strength.  My goal for 2023 will be to continue running through the summer and be able to pick back up with marathon training later in the fall of 2023.  I don't want to take the entire summer off running.  I've already signed up for the marathon next year and really want to improve my time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Closing out January down 13 lbs (225 down to 212 this morning). Walk 4.5 miles either early morning or late evening six days/week plus extra steps during the day, totaling around 12,600 steps. Last two weeks trying to also incorporate some body weight exercises twice a week, probably need to be doing more with strength training.

Cut out alcohol during the week and I've been trying to track calories with a goal of keeping calories under 2280/day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I was single until 40 and worked out all the time, never having a lazy week in my life but never watching what i ate while consuming probably 25-30 drinks/week for 24 years in a row.  But when I finally got hitched, I realized my entire motivation for keeping a decent body was for vanity to get some.

Now in monogamy, I find it hard to motivate. Luckily, I've only gained 8 lbs in 7 years while continuing to eat like a 20 year old but my body just isn't same.  This thread of 92% bitches makes me more motivated than others just from relatability since I'm at 188 at 6'0".  

My question.....a few have mentioned walking.  Does that really work?  I feel like my back would prevent me from doing Insanity and running and other stuff from the past.  I do like yoga but haven't done it in forever because I have a hernia.

Hell yeah it works. I burn 1600-1900 calories walking ~6 miles when playing golf.

For me, though, an elliptical has been key to my success. 650 calories in 45 mins. No knee or back strain. I couldn’t run if my life depended on it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't run at all either. Even when I was in my best shape back in my mid-20's I couldn't run more than a couple miles comfortably. Absolutely hated it.

I start off each gym session with 30 minutes of cardio, either a brisk uphill walk on the treadmill (~3.3 mph/9% grade) or the elliptical. I sweat my ass off on the elliptical. Good for 300-400 calorie burn. Also try and take my dogs on long walks in the morning when the weather cooperates and have been riding my bike again on the weekends. I intend to start biking more often after the time change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:03 AM, Hornbeliever said:

I was single until 40 and worked out all the time, never having a lazy week in my life but never watching what i ate while consuming probably 25-30 drinks/week for 24 years in a row.  But when I finally got hitched, I realized my entire motivation for keeping a decent body was for vanity to get some.

Now in monogamy, I find it hard to motivate. Luckily, I've only gained 8 lbs in 7 years while continuing to eat like a 20 year old but my body just isn't same.  This thread of 92% bitches makes me more motivated than others just from relatability since I'm at 188 at 6'0".  

My question.....a few have mentioned walking.  Does that really work?  I feel like my back would prevent me from doing Insanity and running and other stuff from the past.  I do like yoga but haven't done it in forever because I have a hernia.

I was like that way, except I worked out heavily in my 20s until I got married at 29, and then my 30s saw a slow and steady decline of my overall fitness.  Thankfully I had a good metabolism and didn't put on much weight, but I had no muscle tone.  I didn't care much though, because like you and other married guys I got into a period of complacency.

But as I approached 30 I started noticing my metabolism slowing down, and I wanted to get into shape for better overall well being in my older years.  Going back to the gym seemed like a chore, so I thought I'd take up running.  The biggest mistake I made was running 2-3 miles right from the start, without building up any muscle strength or flexibility.  I ended up getting a stress fracture which sidelined me for a while, and it took a physical therapist to explain that I simply needed to start with stretching and walking, then incorporating a run/walk routine, eventually building up to running and adding distance as I built up strength.  

That worked out great for about six months, and I was up to about 15-20 miles a week thinking I might start training for a half marathon, until I started getting some nagging injuries, which was my body's way of telling me that running sucks and I shouldn't do that anymore.  So I hit the weights and have been lifting ever since as my main form of exercise.  

Regarding your back, is it the hernia or another issue?  It may just be that you're older and out of shape, and building up some core strength could help with the back, and you could then work in some weight training.  If it's something more, then maybe try an elliptical machine.  It can be a great cardio workout, and is so much better on your back and lower body joints than running.   

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Regarding your back, is it the hernia or another issue?  It may just be that you're older and out of shape, and building up some core strength could help with the back, and you could then work in some weight training.  If it's something more, then maybe try an elliptical machine.  It can be a great cardio workout, and is so much better on your back and lower body joints than running.   

My back is related to my lack of core.  From the 90s through 2015, I was more like a green avocado but in 2023, more like that samr avocado about 10 days later.

Has the avocado grown in size?  No.  But was it firm when you bought in ten days ago and now super soft?  Yes.

Good idea on elliptical.  I'll check out how much those cost and heck, maybe someone around here bought one during covid and now never uses it and I buy it at deep discount.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, Lurch said:

The body can only be so stubborn. If you consume less than you burn, you will drop weight. Water weight fluctuation may “hide” weight loss for a few weeks, but actual body mass was still being reduced behind the scenes. This eventually shows up as a “miraculous” weight loss one morning, but if you chart your data religiously the trend-line eventually proves right. Laws of Thermodynamics and shit

This is the way. I don’t bother with them anymore, but when I was a fat fuck I frequented a few weight loss forums associated with apps I was trying out for calorie tracking. The people running those forums were pushing particular diets or supplements or whatever and I was, for the purposes of weight loss, very strongly about “calories in, calories out.” This always ended up in a “you’re not losing weight because you’re not following our method (paying us money)” versus my “you’re not losing weight because you’re eating too much” face off. Their forums, their rules, their moderation, so those always ended the same way.

Thirteen years ago, my doctor told me I was thisclose to high blood pressure meds. I was like, “oh, hell no” and when I left his office I sat in my car and downloaded My Fitness Pal and Map My Walk. Ordered a food scale and activity tracking band from Amazon. Ordered an activity I weighed 335 and not in a good way. Even at 6’9” I was right at obese level 2.

I’m a big fan of over-analyzing stuff and I love me some Excel, so you can imagine how that went. One of my daughters weighed 120 at the time, so I decided to shoot for losing 120 pounds. I started weighing the hell out of everything I ate. Tracked calories in, calories out, and weight every day. All kinds of charts. I walked every day, rain, sleet, snow, hail, heat, cold, whatever. I’ve always hated running, but did Couch to 10K just to say I did. 

Went to the doctor the next year at 205. The PA told me someone mistakenly recorded me at 335 instead of 235 the previous year. “No, 335 was right.” Doctor said BP meds were off the table. Every crappy thing about my blood work, etc. was now good to go. 

205 was probably a little low, so I settled around 220, which was still good enough for 34” waist pants. I put on a little weight after each summer and try to go a little harder on the weights, but I’m old AF so I don’t know that it makes much difference. I’m shooting to be back at 215-220 by tax day. 

I have a 1200+ day streak of closing all rings on my Apple Watch — it would be about double that, but for a day and a half the damned thing refused to register that I was standing up — that I want to keep going for the rest of the year. Also intend to walk 2000 miles this year and run 0 miles. 

TLDR: I lost 120+ pounds over a decade ago and have kept it off since then. If I can do that, y’all can hit your goals, too, just by being too fucking stubborn to fail. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

On 1/31/2023 at 8:03 AM, Hornbeliever said:

I hate running. Always have. 

Walking really works. IMO, it works better if you’re walking as briskly as you reasonably can.

My back used to hurt pretty often. Partly from being tall I guess. Partly from crap posture. Partly from being a fat fuck. Partly from no core strength. Losing weight and moving more made a ton of difference. I’m not a big elliptical fan because cardio inside is like the 12th ring of boring Hell for me, but I think it would probably help if you’re up for that. 

My core strength was awful because I was being lazy. I got stabbed in the abdomen way back in the day, so I steer clear of squats, but the tension I get from leg presses has made a big difference. As has walking outside subjected to the nearly nonstop Texas wind. My back pain is gone, at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not a big elliptical fan because cardio inside is like the 12th ring of boring Hell for me, but I think it would probably help if you’re up for that. 

The iPad was a game changer for me. I get on the elliptical and immediately start watching recorded sports (soccer is best for this, imo, because of near no stop action for 45 mins), or some long form tv series and the time flies by.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

The iPad was a game changer for me. I get on the elliptical and immediately start watching recorded sports (soccer is best for this, imo, because of near no stop action for 45 mins), or some long form tv series and the time flies by.

I hear you but, even watching sports or something interesting, an hour inside seemed like three outside to me. I’m sure it would work really well for some people, though. 

I listen to podcasts in Spanish to try to improve my comprehension. I focus on them and, outside, the time goes by pretty quickly. The few times I try to get in some extra steps at the gym because the weather is going to be particularly crappy, it just doesn’t work. 

6 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Same. Always have something queued up for my Tuesday/Thursday cardio. Either an hour long show or two 30 min show a

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

This is the way. I don’t bother with them anymore, but when I was a fat fuck I frequented a few weight loss forums associated with apps I was trying out for calorie tracking. The people running those forums were pushing particular diets or supplements or whatever and I was, for the purposes of weight loss, very strongly about “calories in, calories out.” This always ended up in a “you’re not losing weight because you’re not following our method (paying us money)” versus my “you’re not losing weight because you’re eating too much” face off. Their forums, their rules, their moderation, so those always ended the same way.

Thirteen years ago, my doctor told me I was thisclose to high blood pressure meds. I was like, “oh, hell no” and when I left his office I sat in my car and downloaded My Fitness Pal and Map My Walk. Ordered a food scale and activity tracking band from Amazon. Ordered an activity I weighed 335 and not in a good way. Even at 6’9” I was right at obese level 2.

I’m a big fan of over-analyzing stuff and I love me some Excel, so you can imagine how that went. One of my daughters weighed 120 at the time, so I decided to shoot for losing 120 pounds. I started weighing the hell out of everything I ate. Tracked calories in, calories out, and weight every day. All kinds of charts. I walked every day, rain, sleet, snow, hail, heat, cold, whatever. I’ve always hated running, but did Couch to 10K just to say I did. 

Went to the doctor the next year at 205. The PA told me someone mistakenly recorded me at 335 instead of 235 the previous year. “No, 335 was right.” Doctor said BP meds were off the table. Every crappy thing about my blood work, etc. was now good to go. 

205 was probably a little low, so I settled around 220, which was still good enough for 34” waist pants. I put on a little weight after each summer and try to go a little harder on the weights, but I’m old AF so I don’t know that it makes much difference. I’m shooting to be back at 215-220 by tax day. 

I have a 1200+ day streak of closing all rings on my Apple Watch — it would be about double that, but for a day and a half the damned thing refused to register that I was standing up — that I want to keep going for the rest of the year. Also intend to walk 2000 miles this year and run 0 miles. 

TLDR: I lost 120+ pounds over a decade ago and have kept it off since then. If I can do that, y’all can hit your goals, too, just by being too fucking stubborn to fail. 

Props.  5 years ago, I was 316 at 6'2".  I lost 120+ pounds and got to 180 lbs.  Decided I needed to actually gain a bit of weight and am eating around 3,200 calories a day.  I love food.  I love being able to walk into a store and actually buy clothes off the shelf.  Due to my love of eating food, I have to have a high activity so I run (a lot) or lift weight every day.  I'm also 34 (soon to be 35) years old and want to live a lot longer than I would have if I was 300+ pounds.  I'm also a numbers guy and weigh all my meals and track everything.  I'm a little OCD but I don't care.  It gives me peace.  I splurge every now and then and hit up Mr. Gatti's with my wife and son or buy something sweet to indulge in because I'm human and have to have some pleasantries.  But 99% of my diet consists of rice, potatoes, chicken, beef/steak, oatmeal, eggs, avocados, peanut butter and homemade bread.  I have very little to no sugar, at all. 

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Props.  5 years ago, I was 316 at 6'2".  I lost 120+ pounds and got to 180 lbs.  Decided I needed to actually gain a bit of weight and am eating around 3,200 calories a day.  I love food.  I love being able to walk into a store and actually buy clothes off the shelf.  Due to my love of eating food, I have to have a high activity so I run (a lot) or lift weight every day.  I'm also 34 (soon to be 35) years old and want to live a lot longer than I would have if I was 300+ pounds.  I'm also a numbers guy and weigh all my meals and track everything.  I'm a little OCD but I don't care.  It gives me peace.  I splurge every now and then and hit up Mr. Gatti's with my wife and son or buy something sweet to indulge in because I'm human and have to have some pleasantries.  But 99% of my diet consists of rice, potatoes, chicken, beef/steak, oatmeal, eggs, avocados, peanut butter and homemade bread.  I have very little to no sugar, at all. 

Congrats and well done. I don’t track like I used to. At this point, if my pants are a little tighter, I’m messing up. When I did, the math helped me fight back the frustration when water weight or whatever caused my weight to stay the same or even increase. “Just keep going. It can’t not work.”

Outside of Wrangler jeans, I have a hard time buying clothes off the shelf, but I can identify. Long sleeve shirts are a no-go, but being able to buy off the shelf from brands that have tall sizes is nice. Sometimes 38” inseam dress pants work, but I hate sitting down in them. 

Tex-Mex is my splurge. I “gain” about 8 pounds from all the carbs, salt, and tea but it goes away. Food-wise, making everything from scratch has helped. I eat pretty much the same things I always ate, just extra on the meat and asparagus, a little less on the potatoes. I was drinking 600 calories a day in sweet tea and Dr Pepper. Splenda is my friend now. At almost 59, my maintenance is right at 3500. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had stopped buying Tall shirts because most XXL were sufficiently long enough, but now they all wear like tents on me! I’ve recently bought quite a few LT and even a MT shirt. I forgot how frustrating it was to even find them, but luckily there are a few good options online now.

20 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Long sleeve shirts are a no-go

Not a dress shirt, but I’ve found True Classic brand to be the most flattering and well fitted long sleeve regular everyday shirts I’ve ever found or tried. They fit perfectly in the arms, shoulders and chest while not being too slim or tight in the stomach and sides. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Not a dress shirt, but I’ve found True Classic brand to be the most flattering and well fitted long sleeve regular everyday shirts I’ve ever found or tried. They fit perfectly in the arms, shoulders and chest while not being too slim or tight in the stomach and sides. 

My problem is that I need a 38.5” sleeve. Even the freak stores stop at 38”. The only way I can get a sleeve long enough is for the shirt to be too big such that the seam between the body and the sleeve is off my shoulder. I don’t mind it for sweatshirts and the like but it’s kind of funky on dress shirts. I, therefore, very rarely wear a long sleeve dress shirt. I don’t even have occasion to wear them enough to get some new ones tailored, so I make do with some XXLT Izods and spend the whole time tugging on my cuffs. 

I’ll take a look at the True Classic brand and see what’s what. Thanks. 

Thought I'd chime in on here for moral support since so many of us are about the same age with similar goals.  I dropped 35 pounds in the back half of 2022.  Meant to do about half of that and then some medical shit got in the way too.  I'm following mainly the same regiment, but need to add more cardio.  But am absolutely stuck on the same weight, give or take literally just 1 pound, for the last 2 months.  I know plateaus and stagnation at my age (46) is totally normal, but I mean I'm varying wildly in caloric consumption and exercise and there's the scale just laughing at me.  Blood pressure is down a bit, bowel movements are more regular, drinking more water, etc.  

I think it may also have to do with sleep.  When I was shredding weight last year, I was sleeping pretty good or at least better than I had in a few years.  But sleep is back to shit and I know that's part of it.  What I don't understand though, is why?  Am back into 34" pants and a 44R jacket.  Weight is coming off my head and my middle.  Chest is still a bit barrel-esque and as always, due to genetics on my dad's side, I carry more weight in my legs than almost any guy my size (I'm 6'1" but only a 31" inseam with a proper belt).  I'm due for another wave of buying new dress shirts but I know as soon as I buy a smaller size...I'll fuck myself over.  I'm a 16.5-35 there, but that's already loose.  I don't know if I should bump down to 16 or keep 16.5 and do 34 since the sleeves/side vents are a bit flowy on me.  

I have so many other health goals to reach this year, and I know weight is only one of those and can mask/expose lots of other shit...but I'd just like to get down to 185-190 again for the first time since college and it's finally within sight.  Heroin maybe?  Anybody know where I could score some?  

6 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Hold on....your caloric maintenance is 3,500 calories?   I don't log calories but that seems high, especially at that age.  You must have an unreal metabolism or run a 10k while doing bicep curls every day.

59. 6’9”. 235. Walk about 7 miles a day at about 13:15 per mile. 

What number do you come up with?

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

What’s your base caloric burn and the daily deficit you’re targeting? Are you tracking calories consistently and weighing daily?

That's an issue for me.  Some days, I literally lift weights, swim, standing desk, and do robust yardwork (I do all my own shit on a half acre which is rare for my 'hood), and walk/bike with the family.  It can add up to 4 hours a day sometimes.  Other days, I literally wake up, sit at the desk before dawn and don't get up to move around except to use the bathroom and go to bed at midnite.  On top of that, as I said my caloric intake is just bizarre and depends on how I'm coping with not drinking.  I go multiple days taking on 1,200-1,600 calories and that's even hard for me to ingest.  Other days, I easily consume 3,500+ calories.  Some days, I literally eat nothing but water.  I know consistency is key.  My GP said it will even out as my body makes the long adjustment but he insists I need more sleep which does seem to help.  Trouble is, sleep is hard to come by for me.  

14 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Hold on....your caloric maintenance is 3,500 calories?   I don't log calories but that seems high, especially at that age.  You must have an unreal metabolism or run a 10k while doing bicep curls every day.

Taking a look at the data in the Health app on my phone, the last three years I’ve averaged 3,734 calories a day. That’s 2,344 resting and 1,390 active. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

59. 6’9”. 235. Walk about 7 miles a day at about 13:15 per mile. 

What number do you come up with?

Ahhh, 6'9" and 235 is pretty far right on bell curve.  I'm 6'0" and couldn't tell you maintenance # because I don't log all items but lately, more and more restaurant have calories listed on menus so its giving me a clue.

For example, I had First Watch for breakfast and was floored that what I ate, which was yogurt and some peanut butter toast, was listed at 940 calories.  Then I had Xochi for lunch and that was probably 1,000 calories (their version of shrimp n grits).  Probably 500 calorie dinner at home. This was standard weekday (no alcohol as saving it for tmrw and super bowl) and I don't gain weight so to answer your question....maybe I'm 2,500 without working out a ton??

I'm not a fatass but I have certainly been one multiple times in life.  I'm in my early 40s (strike one), 5'8 (strike two), and love crappy food and IPAs (strike three).  I have to work really hard to stay lean and fit.  One of the things I enjoy doing is taking foods I love and finding ways to make them healthier.  Monk Fruit in place of Sugar, Greek Yogurt as a substitute for Sour Cream, Almond Flour, etc.  Below are a few products I always keep in my house and absolutely love.  They help me feel like I'm not on a perpetual diet

180 Calories, 7g Net Carbs, 13g Fiber, 24g Protein image.thumb.png.02ffa4b4820e37b7c71875d6e9767bb8.png

image.png.1a3eb092b600b30f21ac17d3f1377bf2.png50 Calories, 2g Carbs, 2g Protein, 4g Fat

image.thumb.png.0621471afb53dd0cbc1f468786d9fd5b.png 50 Calories, 4g Net Carbs, 11g Fiber, 5g Protein 

Edited by Bodhi
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Ahhh, 6'9" and 235 is pretty far right on bell curve.  I'm 6'0" and couldn't tell you maintenance # because I don't log all items but lately, more and more restaurant have calories listed on menus so its giving me a clue.

For example, I had First Watch for breakfast and was floored that what I ate, which was yogurt and some peanut butter toast, was listed at 940 calories.  Then I had Xochi for lunch and that was probably 1,000 calories (their version of shrimp n grits).  Probably 500 calorie dinner at home. This was standard weekday (no alcohol as saving it for tmrw and super bowl) and I don't gain weight so to answer your question....maybe I'm 2,500 without working out a ton??

Yeah, I think 6’9” is right at three standard deviations.

Mother of God, the calories on breakfast menus, especially First Watch, are frightening AF. My breakfast, every day but Sunday, is 4 large eggs (320), 2 pieces of bacon (180), and toast with preserves (180). That’s a reasonable amount, imo, but that 680 barely scratches the surface of anything short of egg white omelettes (fuck right off with that nonsense) at restaurants. I do the eggs in the bacon grease, so that adds a chunk of calories, but still. 

It’s not hard to see why it’s so easy to gain weight and so hard to lose it if you don’t focus on that calorie dense stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

By way of comparison, I’m 47, 6’6”, 217# and my base rate is 2,025

That’s about what I’d expect. 

As far as usernames go, my voice is deeper than most which combined with my height and age meant many was the supposed comedian who called me Lurch. 

“No, I don’t play basketball. Do you play miniature golf?”

That’s about what I’d expect. 
As far as usernames go, my voice is deeper than most which combined with my height and age meant many was the supposed comedian who called me Lurch. 
“No, I don’t play basketball. Do you play miniature golf?”

Yeah I heard it all through Jr High so in HS I just embraced it as my nickname

I got none of these pro-tips, shortcuts, hidden secrets, cool ideas in the corner of the magazine kinda shit to offer up.  Except one.  And only 'cause it's so fucking basic.  Y'all sub what you're gonna sub.  Twist, manipulate, change out, switcheroo, what have you.  I got nothing on you.  Just a guy working a mid-life reboot to the systems.  

But one thing I did years ago that helped a fuckton and put me at least in a small position to succeed at much more monumental tasks in my mid-40's was this:

Don't add salt to your meals.  That's it.  Just don't put out a salt shaker at home and don't use the one at a restaurant.  I ain't saying to track sodium in your meals, on your shopping cart, whatever.  My simple suggestion is keep eating what you eat, cook what you cook, order what your order, dine out where you dine out.  One small thing you can avoid that makes a huge fucking difference is just be you, eat like you eat...just don't add salt.  It can be something high in sodium already, but just decide not to shake anything extra onto it.  At home or out in public, just don't pick up the shaker.  Eat the fuck outta whatever you ordered or cooked in your kitchen, just skip the salt shaker.  Tiniest fucking change makes the biggest fucking difference.  And best of all, your food already salted to death...you don't even notice you skipped it after a week.

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I got none of these pro-tips, shortcuts, hidden secrets, cool ideas in the corner of the magazine kinda shit to offer up.  Except one.  And only 'cause it's so fucking basic.  Y'all sub what you're gonna sub.  Twist, manipulate, change out, switcheroo, what have you.  I got nothing on you.  Just a guy working a mid-life reboot to the systems.  

But one thing I did years ago that helped a fuckton and put me at least in a small position to succeed at much more monumental tasks in my mid-40's was this:

Don't add salt to your meals.  That's it.  Just don't put out a salt shaker at home and don't use the one at a restaurant.  I ain't saying to track sodium in your meals, on your shopping cart, whatever.  My simple suggestion is keep eating what you eat, cook what you cook, order what your order, dine out where you dine out.  One small thing you can avoid that makes a huge fucking difference is just be you, eat like you eat...just don't add salt.  It can be something high in sodium already, but just decide not to shake anything extra onto it.  At home or out in public, just don't pick up the shaker.  Eat the fuck outta whatever you ordered or cooked in your kitchen, just skip the salt shaker.  Tiniest fucking change makes the biggest fucking difference.  And best of all, your food already salted to death...you don't even notice you skipped it after a week.

Is this supposed to make me healthier or lose weight or make food taste better or…?

I eat a metic fuckton of salt. Like, to the point where I don’t use a salt shaker at home, but a salt cellar. I’d never have gotten a job with Henry Ford because I salt my food before I taste it. I’d tell him that it’s more efficient because if they’re serving it to other people, it doesn’t have enough salt for me.

Nothing negative shows up in any medical tests I get. That all went away when I lost the weight. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

People add salt to food from restaurants? That’s horrifying

My favorite Tex-Mex restaurant brings me salsa in a big bowl like they use for soup. I take the lid off the shaker so it doesn’t take me forever to salt it enough. 

9 minutes ago, Lurch said:

For the context of this thread, excess salt contributes to water weight so it might skew your short term results. Otherwise it doesn’t really play into weight management as far as I’ve seen.

Agreed, in the very short term. I’m good for an extra eight pounds and even I don’t eat eight pounds of chips and salsa. 

Goddammit I have that numbskull on ignore for a reason. Now you quote him and I have to read about how salt is bad for you? Holy fuck it’s not 1996, the evidence is out there salt is actually good for you unless your doctor has specifically instructed you to stay away from it. Next he’s gonna tell us that aspartame causes cancer , the post workout anabolic window is real, and fasted cardio is superior.

• Hook 'Em 1