2023 Fatass Thread of Dominance

Lurch

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Goddammit I have that numbskull on ignore for a reason. Now you quote him and I have to read about how salt is bad for you? Holy fuck it’s not 1996, the evidence is out there salt is actually good for you unless your doctor has specifically instructed you to stay away from it. Next he’s gonna tell us that aspartame causes cancer , the post workout anabolic window is real, and fasted cardio is superior.

Yep. I hate myself for reading the whole post. Typical pointless bloviating. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I got none of these pro-tips, shortcuts, hidden secrets, cool ideas in the corner of the magazine kinda shit to offer up.  Except one.  And only 'cause it's so fucking basic.  Y'all sub what you're gonna sub.  Twist, manipulate, change out, switcheroo, what have you.  I got nothing on you.  Just a guy working a mid-life reboot to the systems.  

But one thing I did years ago that helped a fuckton and put me at least in a small position to succeed at much more monumental tasks in my mid-40's was this:

Don't add salt to your meals.  That's it.  Just don't put out a salt shaker at home and don't use the one at a restaurant.  I ain't saying to track sodium in your meals, on your shopping cart, whatever.  My simple suggestion is keep eating what you eat, cook what you cook, order what your order, dine out where you dine out.  One small thing you can avoid that makes a huge fucking difference is just be you, eat like you eat...just don't add salt.  It can be something high in sodium already, but just decide not to shake anything extra onto it.  At home or out in public, just don't pick up the shaker.  Eat the fuck outta whatever you ordered or cooked in your kitchen, just skip the salt shaker.  Tiniest fucking change makes the biggest fucking difference.  And best of all, your food already salted to death...you don't even notice you skipped it after a week.

I buy quarts of kosher salt. Use that shit on everything. Even in my oatmeal. Any doctor who recommends eating less salt is a fucking moron. Salt. Isn’t. Bad. For. You. 

Didn’t say it was that bad, I use it especially in dry rubs.  Never said it made everybody Lose weight.  

I just cut it way down. for myriad purposes and for me personally, been good for my health and weight loss.  YMMV.  Of course sodium isn’t bad all by itself.  It’s the crazy high amounts we use in America.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 1:37 PM, Storm the Field said:

Down 7 lbs since 1/2. Almost back to a number starting with a 1. 200.8 when I got back from the gym this morning.  

Current goalposts:

197 by end of January.

193 by birthday in early March.

<190 by Memorial Day beach trip. 

I'm late 30's, 6'0, and with my build, mid to high 180's is a good weight for me. I'm not trying to drop down to a 32' waist or develop a six-pack. Just want to get back 190 or less for the first time in 4+ years. 

Welp, it's my 39th birthday today. Just got home from the gym and felt like checking in. 

Unfortunately, I didn't hit my initial weight target for today. Have pleateaued around 198 the last month or so, almost certainly due to bad habits on the weekends. That said, I'm not too bummed about it, because I'm at a much improved muscle/fat ratio (easily a good 5% drop in body fat). Have been pretty religious about hitting the gym at a minimum 4 times a week, often 5. I'm currently stronger and have more muscle mass than at any point since my mid-20's.

Clothes are fitting great. Feel better physically than I have in a long time. Just gotta keep at it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Welp, it's my 39th birthday today. Just got home from the gym and felt like checking in. 

Unfortunately, I didn't hit my initial weight target for today. Have pleateaued around 198 the last month or so, almost certainly due to bad habits on the weekends. That said, I'm not too bummed about it, because I'm at a much improved muscle/fat ratio (easily a good 5% drop in body fat). Have been pretty religious about hitting the gym at a minimum 4 times a week, often 5. I'm currently stronger and have more muscle mass than at any point since my mid-20's.

Clothes are fitting great. Feel better physically than I have in a long time. Just gotta keep at it.

Since I got out of the embarrassingly round doughball stage, I’ve been much more concerned about how clothes fit than what the scale says. Not that the scale is unimportant, necessarily, but it’s not the be-all, end-all it was before. 

It sounds like you’re kicking ass. That’s a huge win and meeting goals will flow from that. 

On 2/12/2023 at 12:55 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Yep. I hate myself for reading the whole post. Typical pointless bloviating. 

Only time I worry about you is when you quit bitching.  

Did not realize this was separate thread from the one on DT, plus we got Wulaw's deal going on.  Perhaps we should merge them for convenience?  Obviously there's a more healthcare component to all this, and then exercise/diet.  But glad to see folks supporting one another and sharing best practices since, in the end, we're all middle-aged curmudgeons with red meat/drinking problems  ;)  

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Happy birthday.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:24 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

No shit.  We got a manlet in here whining about being 155ish.

Hey man at 5'7, if I get to 159.4lbs that's "overweight". Of course, individual results vary with muscle mass and adding muscle as a manlet is relatively easy (visually anyway). 

Seeing that calorie count for 6'9 is just amazing by the way. I only burn around 1,400 calories on freaking half marathons.

Edited by SimonBolivar

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hey man at 5'7, if I get to 159.4lbs that's "overweight". Of course, individual results vary with muscle mass and adding muscle as a manlet is relatively easy (visually anyway). 

Seeing that calorie count for 6'9 is just amazing by the way. I only burn around 1,400 calories on freaking half marathons.

Imagine how high it was when I was a fat fuck hauling around 335 pounds. 

• Drool 1

On 1/31/2023 at 7:34 AM, Lurch said:

Broke through 220 (219.7) this morning, down from 265. LFG

210 unlocked.  All of my 42” and 40” pants and shorts are gone.  38”s need a belt and 36” is comfortable.  

BMI is officially “healthy” rather than “overweight”.  

Adding protein powder to my diet somehow because I’m coming in at an avg of 85g daily rather than my 150-200g target

25 lbs until my target by mid-June … 13 weeks left

Stick to the plan

Edited by Lurch
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

210 unlocked.  All of my 42” and 40” pants and shorts are gone.  38”s need a belt and 36” is comfortable.  

Adding protein powder to my diet somehow because I’m coming in at an avg of 85g daily rather than my 150-200g target

Stick to the plan

85g per day?  Are you a vegetarian?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Stick to the plan

Kickass. 

My 220 by tax day is on track. Next is to get back to 34” with a belt and 36” with an IWB holster. I think getting there by the time fall practice starts should work, but I haven’t looked too closely. 

I just ran into the same thing with protein. I started eating more eggs and less ham/chicken/steak with breakfast and that skewed me more toward fat and away from protein. I’d given my blender bottles to my daughters so I had to order another one. 

I use Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream and Double Rich Chocolate. Anyone have any other recommendations?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hit some new gym milestones I'm pleased with this week. 

Every Monday I hit my office gym after work and get in some cardio to sweat out the weekend and also use the chest press machine, which has a max weight of 200. When I first started working out again back in April last year, I started at 30 reps of 150/160/170.  Did 50 x 200 yesterday for the first time.

Similarly, did 40 x 75 on the curls machine at the Y this morning for the first time. Started at 30 x 45. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

85g per day?  Are you a vegetarian?

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, how?

For me, protein powder with coffee + breakfast + post gym protein shake is usually ~75-85g before I’ve even touched post-gym snack (20g), lunch, afternoon snack (15g) and dinner. 

42 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I just ran into the same thing with protein. I started eating more eggs and less ham/chicken/steak with breakfast and that skewed me more toward fat and away from protein. I’d given my blender bottles to my daughters so I had to order another one. 

I use Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream and Double Rich Chocolate. Anyone have any other recommendations?

The primary reason I'm coming up short is that Im in a 1000/day calorie deficit.  I'm only getting 1600-2000 calories a day on days when I just do the elliptical and its hard to find 185g there with my regular meals.  I typically get 10-20g from breakfast, 50g from lunch and then another 10-30g from dinner.  

I'm going to see how it goes inserting a mid-morning and mid-afternoon shake.  Sadly, it means I'll have to cut calories elsewhere and/or add more exercise to stay on track with my calorie deficit.

I ordered several different flavors of Dymatize ISO100.  25g at 120kcal.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

The primary reason I'm coming up short is that Im in a 1000/day calorie deficit.  I'm only getting 1600-2000 calories a day on days when I just do the elliptical and its hard to find 185g there with my regular meals.  I typically get 10-20g from breakfast, 50g from lunch and then another 10-30g from dinner.  

I'm going to see how it goes inserting a mid-morning and mid-afternoon shake.  Sadly, it means I'll have to cut calories elsewhere and/or add more exercise to stay on track with my calorie deficit.

My GF has lactose issues so there’s usually almond milk around. I think it’s 30 calories for 8 ounces. Way more tolerable than using water. 

Yeah, I remember the days of 1000 calorie deficits. I was doing 1500 when I was over 300. Fat free Greek yogurt with protein powder for lunch was a pretty low calorie way to get 55g or so and it was pretty filling for what it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, how?

For me, protein powder with coffee + breakfast + post gym protein shake is usually ~75-85g before I’ve even touched post-gym snack (20g), lunch, afternoon snack (15g) and dinner. 

This is how I am.  I do early morning workouts.  My breakfast is around 700-800 calories (3 whole eggs, cup of oats with 2 tablespoons of PB and protein powder) after gym.  Two lunches (combined 1100 calories of beef/rice and chicken/rice), dinner around 600 calories, then snack at around 9PM.

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

If you're looking to lose weight, the number 1 thing you should focus your entire diet around is your protein intake.  Looks like you're doing that now.  Also, make sure you get sufficient fat intake (at least 80g per day).  Fill in the remaining amount with carbs or more fats.  Great job on the loss so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

If you're looking to lose weight, the number 1 thing you should focus your entire diet around is your protein intake.  Looks like you're doing that now.  Also, make sure you get sufficient fat intake (at least 80g per day).  Fill in the remaining amount with carbs or more fats.  Great job on the loss so far.

I've not been paying attention to Fat, but i've got a ton of history in LoseIt and it shows me in the 75-100g per day range most days.  I grabbed some mixed nuts from Costco that I can use to fill in if I'm coming up short any days.  

I usually target about 33% from fat, ~200g from protein and fill the rest with carbs. It’s usually not hard to hit the fat target, but protein can be a bitch if I’m not eating at home where I can get a lot of protein without associated fat (Greek yogurt, grilled chicken).

43 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

My GF has lactose issues so there’s usually almond milk around. I think it’s 30 calories for 8 ounces. Way more tolerable than using water. 

I switch between flax milk (60 calories per cup and 8g protein) or Ripple (80 calories per cup and 8g protein) for plant-based milk options, as i am also LI. Almond milk doesn’t give you much protein (1g per cup)

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

I switch between flax milk (60 calories per cup and 8g protein) or Ripple (80 calories per cup and 8g protein). Almond milk doesn’t give you much protein (1g per cup)

It’s just a convenient carrier for 24 or 48g of protein from the powder, anyway, and it’s already in the fridge. 

My evening snack typically includes homemade bread with avocado and greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder (will sometimes add a serving of walnuts for extra fats).  NF greek yogurt is pretty gross to me so I doctor it up with a few splenda and protein powder.  This typically gets me to 200g protein, 80/90g fat, and 350g carbs per day.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

My evening snack typically includes homemade bread with avocado and greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder (will sometimes add a serving of walnuts for extra fats).  NF greek yogurt is pretty gross to me so I doctor it up with a few splenda and protein powder.  This typically gets me to 200g protein, 80/90g fat, and 350g carbs per day.

Nonfat Greek yogurt with vanilla ice cream protein powder, some Splenda, and a bunch of strawberries is greatness, in this context. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Lurch said:

I just cracked open the Fruity Pebbles and it’s dead on. Strong recommend

Trying the fruity pebbles for the first time probably next week after I finish off the tub of salted carmel MyProtein.  I ran a race a few weeks ago and picked up about 75 individual servings for free from a vendor.  I came up to him wearing my longhorn headband that I wear for running and he just loaded me up with free samples.  Told me that I could take as much as I wanted because I was a longhorn lol

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agreed dead on flavor. The cocoa pebbles is hands down my favorite though. Will go back to it after I finish the fruity pebbles I'm on now.

I discovered these a few months back. Love the fruity pebbles. Its so much better than any pre-made shake. I usually mix with almond milk or fair life.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed dead on flavor. The cocoa pebbles is hands down my favorite though. Will go back to it after I finish the fruity pebbles I'm on now.

Fudge brownie gets the edge over cocoa pebbles for me, though it’s still damn good. I’ve got both choc peanut butter and strawberry on the way. This has been quite an enjoyable taste-off so far

If you want great tasting protein powder, Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein is the way to go. I have their blueberry muffin, chocolate peanut butter cup, and honey granola. Absolutely delicious

Looks to be about 50% more expensive per serving. Any reason it’s worth that other than taste for you?

Stuck on one of those bullshit “plateaus” where the weight appears not to be coming off. Same weight as seven days ago, which is annoying AF, even though not terribly unusual. Even so, still down a reasonable amount over the last three weeks when I started focusing a little more. I expect one of those WTF drops of 3-5 pounds any time now.

I guess the upside is that I know I can still do ~4000 calories a day pretty comfortably despite nearly my penalty-free IRA withdrawal age. 

Looks to be about 50% more expensive per serving. Any reason it’s worth that other than taste for you?

If you want what the label claims is in the product, you get what you pay for. Dymatize, among others, is notorious for not meeting their label claims. Nitrogen spiking being one of several misdeeds of theirs.

Mutant and HTP are the two that I know for a fact to be truthful and quality.

42 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

What you need to understand is that the drop in weight the first couple weeks is water and glycogen. You were never burning fat. Now that you have removed the inflammation, the scale will move much more realistically (slowly). Absolutely nothing to be discouraged about

I’ve lost 125 pounds. I’m familiar with the process. This is why I put “plateau” in quotes and said it’s not terribly unusual. I’ve been cutting since January so this has nothing to do with the “first couple of weeks,” though. 

10 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You've lost 125 pounds since January? 

From my highest. I ate above maintenance after ~ 7/4/22 to try to lift heavier and meet some lifting goals… which gave me some weight to lose. I started low key moving more after Thanksgiving and eating a little less after 1/1. About 3 weeks ago, I started purposefully moving much more and eating less. The inflection on the chart shows this. The last date logged was a week ago which was my current low, which I matched again this morning.

3ECD9C44-7A8B-479C-B679-C029CD01FD2C.jpeg

Edited by Doc Daneeka

If you want what the label claims is in the product, you get what you pay for. Dymatize, among others, is notorious for not meeting their label claims. Nitrogen spiking being one of several misdeeds of theirs.

Mutant and HTP are the two that I know for a fact to be truthful and quality.

Damn. I’ll read up on that.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m looking for a recumbent bike. Our 15 yo scwinn bit the dust. I don’t need anything fancy with trails and VR, just something that is comfortable that i can park in front of our tv in the exercise room. Want magnetic adjustment. Lots of stuff in the $200 range at Amazon and Walmart and academy. I just don’t want something that won’t fall apart. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ProForm-Cycle-Trainer-400-Ri-Stationary-Exercise-Bike-Compatible-with-iFIT-Personal-Training/510619215?athbdg=L1300&from=searchResults

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Exerpeutic-Bluetooth-Easy-Step-Thru-Magnetic-Recumbent-Exercise-Bike-with-Extended-310lbs-Weight-Cap-and-My-cloud-fitness-App/505752992?from=searchResults

It’s been a rough few weeks for me, hunger wise. Sitting at 204 (from 265 in Aug) and 20lbs away from my goal, I’m going to switch to maintenance calories for two weeks as a diet break. Will still have 10 weeks following that to drop the final 20lbs, and I’m hoping this will give my body a bit of a boost from the reset. I’m keeping my exercise routine going so I don’t break from habit, so I’ll be eating 3-4K calories per day which is incredibly welcome right now!

Doing well with protein targets now and also adding in 2x weekly dumbbell workouts to minimize further muscle loss. Once I hit my weight target, I plan on switching to a bulking regimen so this will be a good introduction for that.

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

It’s been a rough few weeks for me, hunger wise. Sitting at 204 (from 265 in Aug) and 20lbs away from my goal, I’m going to switch to maintenance calories for two weeks as a diet break. Will still have 10 weeks following that to drop the final 20lbs, and I’m hoping this will give my body a bit of a boost from the reset. I’m keeping my exercise routine going so I don’t break from habit, so I’ll be eating 3-4K calories per day which is incredibly welcome right now!

Doing well with protein targets now and also adding in 2x weekly dumbbell workouts to minimize further muscle loss. Once I hit my weight target, I plan on switching to a bulking regimen so this will be a good introduction for that.

Sounds like a good idea. Maintenance isn’t going to kill anyone and there’s a theory that doing such a thing contributes toward cutting cortisol which contributes toward releasing water can lead to the “whoosh” loss.

Back when I was losing weight from my initial peak of being a fatass — as opposed to the bulking and cutting known fluctuations since then — I had been cutting fairly aggressively from April into November and it had worked really well. Then I kind of flattened out which, at the time, annoyed me more than it should have. Then Thanksgiving rolled around and I took the “we don’t get fat from eating on a few holidays a year” maxim to heart. I ate more than I had at any point in the last seven months. And lost 4.2 pounds from Thursday morning to Monday morning. 

My seven day rolling weight is also about 20 pounds from where I want to be. I have about 12 weeks from my self-imposed July 4 target. Should be doable despite the recent scale frustrations. 

I’ve been looking for an app that looks good for maintenance. Everything I’ve found is too focused on gaining or losing. Therefore, I’ve started a spreadsheet for that and calculating TDEE to see how it lines up with my intake and supposed burn as I get closer to maintenance. If anyone has any app suggestions, I’ll take a look. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Jeff Nippard consulted on a new app, MacroFactor, but I haven’t tried it yet. He’s all about science based diet and bulking (body builder) so I would guess it covers exactly what you’re looking for.

The reviews are glowing. I’m going to check it out. Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Look him up on YouTube if you enjoy that kind of content. Ive learned quite a bit from him.

I like Jeff nippard. He’s a no BS kinda guy that promotes full body exercises. He does tend to concentrate more on the bodybuilding aspect of fitness which I’m not really into any longer but a lot of his diet information is very good. 

On 4/10/2023 at 1:42 PM, Lurch said:

Look him up on YouTube if you enjoy that kind of content. Ive learned quite a bit from him.

So I’ve been reading all I can about this app. It appears that the core of it flows from a spreadsheet written in 2015. The ideas in the spreadsheet — and some of the problems with it — sound almost indistinguishable from the spreadsheet I created for myself even before that. Maybe that’s why I’m liking the app so much. 

Way back then, arguing with people on MFP, and other forums, about TDEE, supposed calorie burn from exercise, sedentary vs. active, and all that BS, it was my position that all of that was not Scripture, it was just a starting point, and — and this is really what set them off — your logging didn’t have to be accurate, it just needed to be precise. Over time, it didn’t really matter whether you used “cooked weight” or “raw weight” or whether whether the potato salad you were logging exactly matched the potato salad you were eating. As long as you did this stuff consistently, your weight and calorie intake would tell you your TDEE — over enough time — in the context of how you measured food. The raw number wouldn’t be transferable to anyone else, but it would be rock solid for you. “Your” calorie measurements would help you meet your goals even if they’re weren’t accurate. 

People wailed, and gnashed teeth — and banned me — all while I kept losing weight and they kept failing and couldn’t figure out why. I really like the method behind this app, mostly because it’s my method, albeit with a lot more polish and with a lot more algorithmic sophistication than anything I wrote for myself. Me gusta. 

• Like 1