88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

I've moved three times in the last five years within Austin. It costs plenty for someone in my position, and interstate moves are way worse. Getting a job will not be a problem, but getting life to stop kicking me (and every other poor queer person in Texas) in the ovaries is. It's insanely expensive to be poor.

Move in with family maybe? Oops, they're in Oklahoma and Ohio, neither of which are any better in their attitude or political trajectory.

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

42 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I mean, working on it, but $$$

Oh, I've built my professional career here -- it's not really mobile.  And the hell of it is, I help real Texans, who really need it.  I have to do that in SPITE of what this state has become.  So, for a variety of reasons, I can't leave tomorrow.  But, as soon as we hit the point where we CAN....we will.  And we are far, far, far from alone.

The recent influx of intellectual capital (largely tied to the tech sector) will end.  And the intellectual capital -- you know, this state's resource of the future, because a long-term plan to be an extraction economy is a plan for failure -- that's presently here is picking up the pace of its exodus and importantly, we aren't drawing in intellectual capital the way we once could.  And all of those will only get worse (see their plans to absolutely gut the University of Texas as an objectively quality higher education institution).

Texas is working its way towards being a state governed by a few rich petroleum extractors, and those who get rich appurtenant to them.....and the labor class who works for them.  Every other sector of the economy will at best stop growing and over time, start shrinking.  That's the Texas we seem to want.  It's a stupid vision, but we're executing the everloving shit out of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’ve never really considered relocating, and with a family farm and two single digit aged kiddos, I am not sure it’s feasible. And that is setting aside the money issue. 

This state is running off productive and valuable citizens (from all walks of life) for the furtherance of general fascism and specifically white hegemony. If you are a Republican voter in this state you are directly contributing to the pain and suffering of wide swaths of your neighbors, friends, loved ones, and millions more that just want to exist without having to fight tooth and nail for a basic right to pursue and maintain happiness. 

you may have been born here, your family roots may run deep, and you may consider yourself a True Texan. But you’d be wrong. You are a cancerous growth, and whether benign or malignant via your words/actions, you make this state a worse place to live/work/build a family. 

fuck the GOP. Fuck Republican voters in this state. And fuck the traitorous cunts in the Senate and House chambers actively looking to disenfranchise and hurt citizens of this state. 

We’ve gone from “Texans helping Texans” as at least an aspirational ethos to “Texans hurting Texans and gleefully proud of it.”
It’s the goddamndest thing. What the fucking hell is wrong with you that you dedicate this much effort, and take this much pleasure in, inflicting pain on “the other?” What the fucking hell is fucking wrong with you?
  • Hook 'Em 6

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

If you don’t have an exit plan for getting the fuck out of this state, which has gone full-tilt into fascism, you aren’t planning well. They are literally putting in place a mechanism to void elections in any place where people are likely to vote for the opposition party. This is banana republic bullshit, and it’s exactly what Texas is now.

This state is a joke. And when, 25 years from now, it’s lost a huge chunk of its intellectual capital that 1) will have left, and 2) won’t migrate here, we’ll be suffering for it.

Well, I won’t. I’ll be long fucking gone. My kids already are, and they ain’t coming back. We already can’t recruit obstetricians to come here. It’s going to get a lot worse here in fascist Bible-land. A lot worse.

I started my exit plan in motion a couple of weeks ago, and it's really fucking liberating.  I can read this thread and watch these assholes burn down this state without feeling terrible about it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

I’ve never really considered relocating, and with a family farm and two single digit aged kiddos, I am not sure it’s feasible. And that is setting aside the money issue. 

This state is running off productive and valuable citizens (from all walks of life) for the furtherance of general fascism and specifically white hegemony. If you are a Republican voter in this state you are directly contributing to the pain and suffering of wide swaths of your neighbors, friends, loved ones, and millions more that just want to exist without having to fight tooth and nail for a basic right to pursue and maintain happiness. 

you may have been born here, your family roots may run deep, and you may consider yourself a True Texan. But you’d be wrong. You are a cancerous growth, and whether benign or malignant via your words/actions, you make this state a worse place to live/work/build a family. 

fuck the GOP. Fuck Republican voters in this state. And fuck the traitorous cunts in the Senate and House chambers actively looking to disenfranchise and hurt citizens of this state. 

Florida is about to see it, the best and brightest will head out of state very soon, for college 

I started my exit plan in motion a couple of weeks ago, and it's really fucking liberating.  I can read this thread and watch these assholes burn down this state without feeling terrible about it.  

We have to wait 8 more years since my wife works for the state. For better or worse that coincides with our youngest graduating. Assuming schools still exist at that point.

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

We have to wait 8 more years since my wife works for the state. For better or worse that coincides with our youngest graduating. Assuming schools still exist at that point.

My wife works for the state too.  She's getting another job.

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

Makes sense. Need someone to administer last rites to the children bleeding out.

Speaking of Chaplains, I have to confess to you...I'm stealing this line and using it at political/education events through the end of the calendar year.  Happy to buy you lunch as a thank you.  

I thought to myself, "The only place you see Chaplains on active duty outside of houses of worship are theaters of war."  Oh wait...and elementary schools.  

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Speaking of Chaplains, I have to confess to you...I'm stealing this line and using it at political/education events through the end of the calendar year.  Happy to buy you lunch as a thank you.  

I thought to myself, "The only place you see Chaplains on active duty outside of houses of worship are theaters of war."  Oh wait...and elementary schools.  

Go right ahead. Fair use. I'll pass on the lunch, thanks. I'd like to maintain my amateur status 

• Haha 2

Remember folks, keep reminding your non-Catholic relatives that support this shit, that Catholics are the largest group, and if we're gonna get religion in the classrooms, it'll be the Catholic version and by God you don't want state-mandated religion in the classrooms because your child does not kneel for no Pope in Eye-tal-ee.

Senate Education Committee hearing SB 1515, which would require all classrooms to have a copy of the 10 commandments posted on the wall. What a fucking joke.

Can we post the 11 Satanic Commandments? They’re way more applicable to modern life. If we must only post 10, we could leave out the one forbidding harming children to make it palatable to American Christians.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2023 at 11:27 AM, Brisketexan said:

We’ve gone from “Texans helping Texans” as at least an aspirational ethos to “Texans hurting Texans and gleefully proud of it.”
It’s the goddamndest thing. What the fucking hell is wrong with you that you dedicate this much effort, and take this much pleasure in, inflicting pain on “the other?” What the fucking hell is fucking wrong with you?

You already know what is "wrong." We all do, at least those not in denial.

It's called a fascist theocracy. Run by MAGA-GQP. The goal in Texas (and America) is to colonize, conquer, and convert—with legalized violence and malevolence toward the non-converted and a list of "enemies" and "others" not favored in their sacred scrolls. The goal is to rule with pain and humiliation, the Christian playbook for 2000 years, along with endless grifting. Peace and charity come after conquest/conversion. Not before. Pain, then peace. Then some more pain ... just for good measure. 

The goal is for MAGA-GQP to stand astride the vanquished and conquered, with Texas flags flying, AR-15s and crosses held high, all as they gaze upon their carnage and into the sky, thinking their unseen Sky Daddy is nodding in approval and their rapture is imminent.

-----------

Meanwhile, NASA and the James Webb Space Telescope peer across 100 billion light years and no Sky Daddy is anywhere to be seen. Hell, this Sky Daddy is too lazy to even photobomb one image of a distant galaxy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have not lived in Texas in over 25 years, but I seriously doubt the big city flagship newspapers are calling it what is — fascism or theocracy. Same with the local TV stations. They always offer brainless, toothless "both sides" perspective that only empowers the fascists/theocrats. The Texas Tribune enables this as much as the Dallas Morning News or other mainstream news outletswith their supposedly "objective" (both sides) perspective that is ultimately Orwellian in its subtle doublethink. Of course, this is happening in the mainstream news media all across America. 

The terms "conservative" ... "far-right" ... "extremist" ... are no longer accurate. Those were terms used in the Reagan era in the 1980s. Forty years later, MAGA and the GQP are far far beyond what Reagan jump-started. Even the term "Christian nationalism" sets off very few alarm bells for most people. There is no way to stop or slow down MAGA-GQP until it is properly identified and addressed. Even then, it might be too late or not enough. 

Of course, Beto and the Democrats are too weak and brainwashed to call it what it is. "Can't risk offending anyone's religious beliefs..." Religion's free pass will be the downfall of Texas/America. At least as a secular democracy.

Margaret Atwood saw it coming with A Handmaid's Tale

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 2:48 PM, nbmishoid said:

Where is the boundary between fucked up state and complete laughing stock?

Used to be the Sabine River to the east and Red River to the north. Now we're all just one big fucked up laughing stock.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I don’t follow or keep up with these psychos, but have they made a bill that’s coming after delta 8 yet?  These folks are miserable and don’t want anyone to be happy or have any fun.

If they do, I'm gonna order about $7K worth of gummies.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Gotta love it when the guy who's pushing all the anti-trans and anti-drag show stuff to "protect the children" is about to get arrested for sexual assault of a staffer who isn't much older than said children...

1280px-Bryan_Slaton_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

That's a rough 45. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I don’t follow or keep up with these psychos, but have they made a bill that’s coming after delta 8 yet?  These folks are miserable and don’t want anyone to be happy or have any fun.

I drove our Delta 88 (the big car) to prom.  Much nicer than the Plymouth Signet (the little car).