88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

If the GQP simply decides to void the election results in the 4th largest city in the country….shit should burn. If you want to know how you incite a justified populist violence, that’s how you do it.

It’s a page right out of Lulaschenko’s Manila in Belarus. Bela-fucking-rus, people. That’s what we’re dealing with.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m so glad that dems have upped their game since then in midterm elections, but man 2010 and 2014 were costly as fuck elections. We lost them because democrat voters were lazy and happy with Obama being president.

2010 hurt so bad because of it being a red wave in a year at the start of a new decade. The maps were ratfucked all over the country and some haven’t recovered.

2014 we lost a bunch of senate seats and the senate itself which led to McConnell hoarding judge slots to deliver to trump in 2016 on a silver platter.

2020 was worse. 7-9 seats in the State Ledge poling within the margin of error and a chance to blunt the redistricting fuckery and we didn't pick up a single seat, which allowed the R's to reinforce almost all of their at risk seats for another decade. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Absolutely bizarre how often I hear Republicans claim they are against Corporate Welfare and sweetheart tax breaks that never seem to create the number of jobs they claim they will, but then they go and trip all over themselves to vote for it in the Texas House...

I have absolutely no fucking idea what is trying to be conveyed in that tweet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I didn't realize that companies moving to Texas and getting tax breaks like Elon Musk's Tesla were "woke."  Or maybe this is an example of when idiots interject the term "woke" into something they think they're not supposed to like.

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I have absolutely no fucking idea what is trying to be conveyed in that tweet.

Anytime anybody around me says "woke" I ask them to define it and give me three examples.  Everybody reading this should do that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Hm I don’t find it funny. But I guess you had to be there. But then you might get sexually assaulted by Rep Slanton. So maybe I’m fine not getting it 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anytime anybody around me says "woke" I ask them to define it and give me three examples.  Everybody reading this should do that.

If someone is going to use “woke” to my face, I’m most likely just walking away 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Absolutely bizarre how often I hear Republicans claim they are against Corporate Welfare and sweetheart tax breaks that never seem to create the number of jobs they claim they will, but then they go and trip all over themselves to vote for it in the Texas House...

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Everything I don't like is WOKE A BOOK FOR BASIC DICKHEADS "This engine is woke. ERLEMEMES PUKEMEMES HIP'

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/4/2023 at 9:19 AM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Will admit I'm probably a bigger 2A/gun guy that the average Surly Cloak Room denizen but all of these seem like perfectly reasonable amendments to me. The fact that these all got shot down on pretty strict party line votes just further shows that the system and more specifically the Republican Party is totally broken/lost. 

Every once in a while when I have the TXLege house video feed on in the background some Rep goes on and on about how each of them are representing the will of aprox. 200,000 Texans and every time shit like this happens I just imagine these Reps must think they are all prince/princess of their own little fiefdoms doing whatever the big man above them wants, not what us peasants want.

Yeah, as a big second amendment proponent myself I read those and thought they all sounded perfectly reasonable at face value, so there must have been some sort of poison pill language in them to cause them to be shot down. Then I remembered this is the modern republican party we are dealing with...

It is odd how many folks here want so desperately to disarm poor people (the practical outcome of the policy positions the propose), yet somehow hope that there will be some sort of populist uprising when the pubs toss out the Harris County election results.

Has it occurred yet to these MAGA Texans that once you overtake urban elections, even your dumbest fucking base will go from “election integrity!” To “wait, how do we blame everything on liberal, colored cities if we control them now?” In about ten minutes.  You’re broadcasting too loudly that you’ll get rid of the boogeyman and have nobody else to frighten them with. Your flex is your demise. The illusion/delusion only works if a solid red state government has a few blue opponents to fault when shit goes sideways.  And shit often goes sideways.  

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, as a big second amendment proponent myself I read those and thought they all sounded perfectly reasonable at face value, so there must have been some sort of poison pill language in them to cause them to be shot down. Then I remembered this is the modern republican party we are dealing with...

It is odd how many folks here want so desperately to disarm poor people (the practical outcome of the policy positions the propose), yet somehow hope that there will be some sort of populist uprising when the pubs toss out the Harris County election results.

Wanting the ability to mow down 30-40 people in less than a minute off the streets and out of schools isn’t a disarming. You need home protection, personal protection, you want to hunt, nothing stops that. 

and I don’t really know anyone that wants armed conflict, we don’t want voter suppression, we want winners win fair and square but Jan 6 style violence isn’t the answer on either side.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Has it occurred yet to these MAGA Texans that once you overtake urban elections, even your dumbest fucking base will go from “election integrity!” To “wait, how do we blame everything on liberal, colored cities if we control them now?” In about ten minutes.  You’re broadcasting too loudly that you’ll get rid of the boogeyman and have nobody else to frighten them with. Your flex is your demise. The illusion/delusion only works if a solid red state government has a few blue opponents to fault when shit goes sideways.  And shit often goes sideways.  

Eh whatever Fox News tells them, they’ll switch to that argument 

and I don’t really know anyone that wants armed conflict, we don’t want voter suppression, we want winners win fair and square but Jan 6 style violence isn’t the answer on either side.

When you have a government that actually just voids real votes to declare the chosen party the winner, that is EXACTLY how you get political violence. I don’t want that to occur. I’m just telling you that we’re on a fast train to that happening, and that it’s actually the only rational response.
As compared with Jan 6, which was just a temper tantrum insanity by a sore loser and his rather large cult. They acted AS IF their votes were voided, but with one rather glaring problem: they weren’t. At all. Not even a tiny bit. They were just sore losers who will not accept an election result.
Which gets us back to the foundational problem. When one side in a political system refuses to accept an election result, and either insists that it was the result of fraud OR uses its political power to just throw out the votes it doesn’t like, you no longe have a democracy. You have fascism. And fascism always ends with violence. Always.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas Dems do a horrible job communicating how the Texas GOP dictates how the major cities are run, to the point of not allowing the city majority to make decisions for themselves.

republican voters are the minority so they want the GOP to run the city. it's a losing argument.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you have a government that actually just voids real votes to declare the chosen party the winner, that is EXACTLY how you get political violence. I don’t want that to occur. I’m just telling you that we’re on a fast train to that happening, and that it’s actually the only rational response.
As compared with Jan 6, which was just a temper tantrum insanity by a sore loser and his rather large cult. They acted AS IF their votes were voided, but with one rather glaring problem: they weren’t. At all. Not even a tiny bit. They were just sore losers who will not accept an election result.
Which gets us back to the foundational problem. When one side in a political system refuses to accept an election result, and either insists that it was the result of fraud OR uses its political power to just throw out the votes it doesn’t like, you no longe have a democracy. You have fascism. And fascism always ends with violence. Always.

don't want it though.  if it ends in that, okay, but I'm hopeful gen z that has been forced to be activist because their earliest memories of the broader world were not the ruskies and war games (i.e. an external threat), it was school shooters on a monthly basis and the burning of the planet.  my hope is armed conflict isn't the answer but kids telling their parents they are fucking idiots and taking over the electoral process.  I don't think it will happen the moment they turn 18, but unlike other generations, they are being forced into activism.  I'd also say many are kids of Gen X - a generation that isn't afraid to call a spade a spade but a generation that for the most part sold out due to cynicism and lack of numbers.  I don't think thse kids are cynics I think they are more aware and due to parental involvement (yay latch key kids for stepping up) they are less cynical.  I actually believe gen z will be the greatest generation (there's a compelling theory generations run in cycles of 4 from the greatest (WWII gen), worst (okay boomer), not good (X), better (Y), greatest again (Z)).

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

Yeah, 2010 was really shit - feels like people don't realize how important elections are to redistricting.
I don't know what Dallas/San Antonio/Bexar/Austin/Travis look like in terms of voter registration and increases in the numbers voting over the last 20 years, but something has clearly been happening in Houston/Harris County that is scaring the Texas Republicans.
I'm a little more optimistic about things after looking at the numbers in HC and seeing how scared Abbott, Patrick, etc. are of people voting.  If they move to toss out Harris County, then that means the state has flipped.  They can fuck around with 2024, but if the Dems realize the state is flipping, it could energize the hell out of them going forward.

The Houston/Harris County thing is two-pronged. One is recency. County government was red until 2018. Second is size. Harris County is a lot bigger than any other county. Before it was Harris, the state was focused on picking on Travis County. It’s just a bigger target.

Dan Patrick is also out of Houston and I imagine there’s a personal aspect for him, as well as GOP leadership as a whole given it’s a young Latina who is playing the role of foil. Easy to rile up the with that.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That was Carrie Isaac.  She came across better than I expected.

I mean in all honesty, take being a Republican or Democrat out of it, but who watches that cunt speak and says to themselves, “yeah, she should be running my local, state, county, whatever, government because she seems smart?”.  She shouldn’t be in charge of your local McDonalds let alone voting on laws for a state.  The people of TX that elect idiots like her (yeah I know there are hundreds of idiots like her in our state legislature) are the cause for this country’s decline.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It was also a huge disappointment to see Ellen Troxclair behind her.  She is a right-wing Republican, but Ellen is smart as hell and good people.  To watch her stand and entertain the complete dumbing down of Texas is fucking sad as shit.  

Also, is somebody gonna explain to the GOP that you can't shout "DON'T CALIFORNIA MY TEXAS!" when your leader, Governor Abbott can't go 10 minutes without mentioning how he's bringing all these California conservatives to Texas for a better life?  Get your fucking stories straight you fucking morons.  You're confusing the fuck outta the 9 brain cells your average voter has on full function.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I mean in all honesty, take being a Republican or Democrat out of it, but who watches that cunt speak and says to themselves, “yeah, she should be running my local, state, county, whatever, government because she seems smart?”.  She shouldn’t be in charge of your local McDonalds let alone voting on laws for a state.  The people of TX that elect idiots like her (yeah I know there are hundreds of idiots like her in our state legislature) are the cause for this country’s decline.

But she's the spouse of a former GOP legislator!  They don't even live in the district she represents and never have, lost her first foray into politics, so then they gerrymandered San Marcos out of her district so she just has NB and Wimberley, and her only real work experience is starting up a "veterans' organization" which accepted a huge donation from one person and never actually spent anything to benefit veterans.  IOW, the poster child for the GOP!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

I actually believe gen z will be the greatest generation (there's a compelling theory generations run in cycles of 4 from the greatest (WWII gen), worst (okay boomer), not good (X), better (Y), greatest again (Z)).

Wait, what did us Gen-Xers do wrong?   Don't put that Boomer evil on us.

And I think the WWII generation should get a lot of shit for what they did post WWII.  They fucked up the Boomers something fierce.

• Hook 'Em 1

And I think the WWII generation should get a lot of shit for what they did post WWII.  They fucked up the Boomers something fierce.

What we’ve done wrong is that we haven’t done nearly enough to fight this evil bullshit. As a generation, we poll pretty close to 40-45% pro-MAGA. In short we are shit, but yes, we aren’t as shit as the boomers. So…yay.

Not to derail, but WW2 fucked up a lot of Greatest gen folks.  What they had, there in the 50’s, politically, was nearly unprecedented unity.  Unity for the majority.  So, the gg enforced Jim Crow, got us into Nam, and raised such wonderful boomers as tfg.  No gen yet is free of our inherent evils.  

Slaton's starting to remind me of the guy in "Airplane II: The Sequel" who confesses to the priest next to him that, "I had an affair with these two young women from work.  And I had to steal money from the company to pay for their abortions."  And then he sneezes and the priest "Bless you."  And the guy thinks he's been absolves, "Oh, thank you father!  Thank you!" 

On 5/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, Brisketexan said:

If the GQP simply decides to void the election results in the 4th largest city in the country….shit should burn. If you want to know how you incite a justified populist violence, that’s how you do it.

It’s a page right out of Lulaschenko’s Manila in Belarus. Bela-fucking-rus, people. That’s what we’re dealing with.

my precinct has to be on the GQP hit list. I’m in SJL’s district by one block. Sylvia Garcia’s district is a block away. Trump, Abbott, Patrick are hated in this hood

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Well, we Gen-Xers don't actually exist - didn't you get the memo? 

Generation-X-Lost-Forgotten-Omitted-Gene

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

Polls broken out by age typically show Gen X is the most GOP generation out there, which tracks with coming of age under Reagan-Bush. So there’s that.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

At best, a person can be two of these three things at once. This is delusional.

it's like the classic creative triangle: speed, precision, cost - pick two. you can't be smart and good AND be a right-wing Republican. that is a state of being that is more fairy tale than most religions

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

1 hour ago, safe sex said:

My guy, maybe she's not such good people after all

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

At best, a person can be two of these three things at once. This is delusional.

I know.  She really was a voice of reason on a batshit insane City Council.  And she has an entirely new agenda that I woefully disagree with.  But I've know her and her family a long time and she's really putting on a show to appeal to the lowest common denominator.  And I know that's just as bad as actually believing the moronic shit her party is trying to implement right now.  I'm just trying to see better in people as a way to see better in myself and get through my own shit.  

But as per usual in the last 6 years, looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue with Republicans.  

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

she's really putting on a show to appeal to the lowest common denominator.  And I know that's just as bad as actually believing the moronic shit her party is trying to implement right now.  I'm just trying to see better in people as a way to see better in myself and get through my own shit.

It's worse.  Cleetus actually believes that Trump and the Republicans are going to help him. He may have shit opinions, sure, but he actually believes in them. People like Foxy Troxy that perpetuate that myth are taking advantage of uneducated/ill-informed people.

I get trying to see the good in people, and I try with some MAGA family members, but at the end of the, Troxclair is just doing what Trump does, just on a smaller scale.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1