88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So our waiting-to-be-tried-on-felonies GOP Attorney General is calling on our alcoholic GOP speaker to resign for being intoxicated on the floor of the statehouse?

Third world country 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

While its funny that Lt Dan has already shot himself in the foot with this tenure ban bill (hey dumbass, conservative professors want tenure too) its infuriating that all of the states public schools of higher education are all going to suffer from this. All gonna start trending towards being Aggy diploma mills because thats the level of faculty and researchers you are going to be able to attract. How can these doofuses at the Capital give out all kinds of extravagant tax breaks to large corporations on the backs of the tax paying public on the promise of "hey they are bringing jobs here, its worth it, trust us bro" and then turn around and do the exact opposite and drive away all the good faculty from your public universities because you gotta "own the libs" and not offer tenure...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So is Texas considered a oligarchy now?

44 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Is this just outright voter suppression? Harris county votes worth 3/5 next on the agenda?

It means the Texas Republicans are officially scared shitless that Harris County will flip the state. We know Harris County has the numbers already, and those numbers are only increasing.

It's iffy it could flip next year (Trump can still mobilize MAGA), but if they can take Harris County out of the equation, there is definitely no chance in hell of it happening.

If Democrats in Texas were competent, they'd be going hard in the paint on this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I don't even have a kid! If parents get $8000 to NOT send a kid to public school, where's MY money?

I think you're kidding but at this point I'd bet money on the ability for people to opt out of school property taxes if they don't have a kid in public schools at least being discussed in the next session. That's where this thing is headed. The religious private school crowd would love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Haven't even officially touched tenure and it's already creating issues.

"Daniel Brinks, chair of the government department at UT-Austin, told lawmakers at a public hearing earlier this month that he made six job offers to fill two positions this spring and was turned down every time.

“People turn down jobs for lots of reasons, but from what these candidates told me, the uncertainty around tenure was a big factor in our failure to hire this year,” he told the House Higher Education Committee."

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It means the Texas Republicans are officially scared shitless that Harris County will flip the state. We know Harris County has the numbers already, and those numbers are only increasing.

It's iffy it could flip next year (Trump can still mobilize MAGA), but if they can take Harris County out of the equation, there is definitely no chance in hell of it happening.

If Democrats in Texas were competent, they'd be going hard in the paint on this.

I'll admit that I don't really understand the move. Sounds like Harris, like many counties has an appointed election coordinator. The state is kicking him out, and it instead administering elections goes back to two other positions (where the power used to reside not that long ago).

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it? To me, it just seems like it's the state firing the guy.

This isn't the bill where they can call a new election is they "think there might be" some reason to do so.

45 minutes ago, wreckatx said:

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1661125746742394881?s=46 

House General Investigating Committee just announced they have been investigating the Office of the Attorney General. Paxton was trying to get out in front.

Excellent. Texas desperately needs its Rs to develop a capable circular firing squad. They initially would be elated by the plethora of firepower, at least until they noticed the absence of good guys with guns.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Excellent. Texas desperately needs its Rs to develop a capable circular firing squad. They initially would be elated by the plethora of firepower, at least until they noticed the absence of good guys with guns.

They just want to replace Paxton with another MAGA type that isn't under felony indictment, that's all.  He's too embarrassing and drawing too much attention, and not in a good way.

I was going through a box of books from when I was a kid, that my mom dropped off the other day, and came across a bunch of my Texas-related books (Davy Crockett, Alamo, etc.).  Obviously rose-colored glasses were involved, and I moved around a lot outside of Texas because of my dad's job so for a period my views on Texas tied to oil and gas or space-related stuff, but I always had kind of a larger-than-life view of Texas as a kid up through my teen years in the 80s and into my 20s. Adulthood came along, other things were more important, etc., etc., so I didn't think about it much (and getting involved in politics in my 20s on the campaign side really ramped up my cynicism) so the tarnish wore off.

My elementary-aged kids - they have none of that larger-than-life view of Texas. Yes, they read about the Alamo, visit the various museums, cemeteries, etc., read up on various personalities and all of that, but when I think about my views of Texas at their age and how they view Texas now, it's nothing more to them than where they were born and raised.

When the news in regards to Texas politics, intrudes into their lives, it's not a good thing - they do not have that optimistic view of Texas I had in the 80s and into the 90s (and again, I know, I had rose-colored glasses on and a lot of the horrible shit was hidden away from public view, unlike now). They know that Texas politicians who are running the state are all about hate of various other Texans.

This came up, because one of the classmates with two moms is moving out of state this summer and they were doing a goodby party for her this week, and the kids have been talking about. They know the parents are moving them because Texas Republicans don't want their kind around. The parents may not be saying some things out loud (and my wife and I are very careful about what we say around our youngest), but kids pick up on stuff, and they have conversations with other kids, and even first graders wonder why the governor hates some of their classmates, etc. 

Granted, I had kids later in life, but it's just fascinating thinking about my view of Texas as a kid at their age, and their views - for all intents and purposes, it's just a place they live these days, and they'd be fine with moving to another state, and are even interested in it.

Edit: As a kid in high school, we got to go to Austin and visit the Governor, and it was interesting.  These days, the kids don't give a shit about the governor and even look down on him.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

my niece will graduate from UNT next year and she has said on multiple occasions 'im getting the fuck out of this shitty state so fast, like a slingshot!'

it would make me sad...except i pretty much did the same thing last year 💔 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Unless I want to relocate back to the Bay Area, work is keeping me here in Austin and starting grad school in the fall. I still believe strongly that I should stay here and fight and help out. But it’s tempting to entertain thoughts of moving somewhere else. Also realistically, I would need the economy to improve a bit before I can explore moving again.

• Hook 'Em 2

Infuriating that so many Dems are selling LGBTQ folks down the river 

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/23/legislature-fractured-democrats-lgbtq/

Republican blitz on LGBTQ issues exposes fractures among Texas Democrats

The defections have sparked feelings of betrayal and promises of retribution, particularly as Republicans in the Legislature have presented a unified front.

• Rage+1 1

Screen-Shot-2023-05-21-at-12.32.07-PM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2023-05-21-at-12.57.05-PM.jpg

So if your kid dies it’s your fault for not reading this book.

Fucking hell

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Wtf @ Winnie the Pooh ????

7 minutes ago, YChang said:

I think the non Disney version is public domain now. So hooray let Pooh bear and friends teach kids how to survive. 

Correct, as demonstrated by this (which is topical because it makes me think of living in this dumbfuck state now)…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Didn't realize it until just now, today is 1 year since Uvalde massacre/massive display of cowardice.  Wonder how the Legislature will mark the anniversary.  

I think Abbott will ignore it, Phelan will drink through it, and Dan Patrick will commemorate it with a new pants suit from Lane Bryant.  

Fucking disgrace.  It's my two daughters' second to last day of school.  And I don't think of what they accomplished and learned this year, or what we'll do this summer, all I can do is hope and pray that make it a little longer without being murdered at school.  What a time to be a Texan. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

He might be liking it. Can call a special session or few and load up more bullshit to to stay in the news

I don't know.  He really needed this now to use as his springboard into the presidential race of '24.    Having to hope to get it done in special session will delay that.  I think he was hoping the public would be asleep at the switch and let this glide through.  But now everybody will have time to eviscerate him for everything he sacrificed to get his precious vouchers.  If he can't read the room in Red Texas on this, then how can anyone expect him to be effective on a national level?  

I'm hoping he calls a special session on this, because it will expose him.  And forces are already gathering to put up much stronger grassroots opposition to vouchers.  He didn't do himself any favors with the teachers and rural folks who depend on those schools and Friday night lights.  

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Didn't realize it until just now, today is 1 year since Uvalde massacre/massive display of cowardice.  Wonder how the Legislature will mark the anniversary.  

I think Abbott will ignore it, Phelan will drink through it, and Dan Patrick will commemorate it with a new pants suit from Lane Bryant.  

Fucking disgrace.  It's my two daughters' second to last day of school.  And I don't think of what they accomplished and learned this year, or what we'll do this summer, all I can do is hope and pray that make it a little longer without being murdered at school.  What a time to be a Texan. 

Abbott called for flags to fly at half staff.  How noble of him.

I was thinking about the hammering message this session of "Schools should focus on the fundamentals of learning...3 R's/STEM/whatever the fuck trop they were pulling out this year."  

And we had another deal last so we couldn't attend.  But we stayed up to listen to our School Board meeting.  And because of our statewide leadership and legislature, the entire meeting had nothing to do with fundamentals of learning or STEM or curriculum or teacher retention or anything related to fucking SCHOOL!  It was entirely about armed guards, doors, library books, bathrooms, trans sports, and keeping DEI/CRT out of our district.   Not entirely board's fault, lotsa parents/'advocacy' groups were there. 

So for a group of elected officials so fucking concerned about basic learning in schools, they sure as shit veer into some pretty fucking bizarre territory. 

"Hey, how about some rainy day money for faster internet, teacher bonuses, or new musical instruments?  NAH, we gotta check bathroom stalls."   

• Rage+1 1

I'm a straight, white, cis male. I own property. That's a shitload of privileges. I've always figured that if anyone needs to stick around and keep voting, it's me.

But fuck, I have school-age kids. It's plain as day that the state government is openly hostile to secular education at this point, and actively seeking to undermine it. I've got to do what's best for my family first above all else, right?

Of course, that's the point. I'm sure that state leaders are more than happy for any voter that doesn't agree with them to pack up and leave.

• Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Of course, that's the point. I'm sure that state leaders are more than happy for any voter that doesn't agree with them to pack up and leave.

In the short term, yes.  In the long term, they are fucking the state by driving people away.  But they don't care - Abbott and Co. can only see November of 2024 and November of 2028 (and maybe November of 2026).  That's all they care about.  They need to keep Harris County down and out, and they need libtards to move out of the state as quickly as possibly.

Well, Abbott cares about the primaries next year, but somewhere along the line between his being on the Texas Supreme Court and being the Attorney General of Texas, and his last few years as Governor of Texas, he has forgotten how to read the room with his fellow Republicans as well as not understanding that he's hit his ceiling - he will only ever be Governor of Texas from here on out.

Still blows my mind that that dumb fuck thinks he won't embarrass himself rolling for President, and it still blows my mind that somebody like him doesn't realize that he will at most, come in third in Texas to Trump, a Yankee from New York City, and DeSantis, a meatball in high heels from Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1