88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s what it’s becoming. That’s not what Texans are historically. Shit man, Beto “take your guns” O’Rourke won the native Texan vote. The Texan spirit is amazing and friendly and hopeful and optimistic, it’s how Austin became what it was. That puto isn’t one of us. 

damn right

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I live in a Heavy Dem district. SJL is my congress woman. I’m digging in 

I live in MAGAland and my Texas-roots goes generations deep. My bones are going to be buried here. The Dan Patricks, Chip Roys and every other Johnny Come Lately In A Cartoon Cowboy Hat masquerading as a local can EABOD and DIAF.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I live in MAGAland and my Texas-roots goes generations deep. My bones are going to be buried here. The Dan Patricks, Chip Roys and every other Johnny Come Lately In A Cartoon Cowboy Hat masquerading as a local can EABOD and DIAF.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

my family has lived under all the flags 

fuck the Texas maga gqp and anyone that supports them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Tejas means friend. If you don't get it, move along and good luck.

I was going to say Texas “the friendly state” isn’t supposed to just be a marketing slogan. All this hate is fucked up, it’s not us. It’s just not who we Texans are.

• Hook 'Em 3

Donna Howard, Vikki Goodwin, Gina Hinojosa, Lulu Flores... all old-style Austin liberals who voted against SB 1412 (by right ADU). NIMBY bullshit ain't gonna help Austin affordability, but I guess it helps with the Karens in the neighborhood associations. I hope they all get primaried for some Dems who actually give a damn about the housing crisis. Caveman degrowthers shit up just means another 20k of sprawl in Liberty Hill.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

I was going to say Texas “the friendly state” isn’t supposed to just be a marketing slogan. All this hate is fucked up, it’s not us. It’s just not who we Texans are.

It's not. It's been pointed out to me repeatedly by visitors. And fuck these flies who thought my home was their nesting place.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I vaguely remember some rumblings about Talarico. I think he’s going to be a huge presence in years to come. Loved this exchange he had, shows he does his homework, didn’t seem like he was talking at, but with. 

I'll say this for Talarico, who I expect to get primaried by a Hispanic once his constituents realize he's Italian and not Mexican, but he has the BEST hairpiece of anyone in the Texas House. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Is Abbott in Ulvade ?

That place is now a third rail for the man. NOTHING good has come out of him being involved in that situation... for him or those involved. When it comes to those families, he seems to be persona non grata.

11 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I vaguely remember some rumblings about Talarico. I think he’s going to be a huge presence in years to come. Loved this exchange he had, shows he does his homework, didn’t seem like he was talking at, but with. 

Wait, the 10 commandments bill actually didn't pass?

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Talarico was my rep before the most recent redistricting. He's smart and capable and understands social media. Seems like every session he finds some common sense bipartisan legislation to push through. Last session it was insulin price caps, this session in was the mail order prescription thing. He would have been a great candidate for the old Tx31, before they redid the gerrymander and pushed it back to R+15. I guess John Carter is going to die in that seat so the governor can appoint one of his grandkids or something. Now I don't know what the next logical step up for him will be, but I hope the Ds don't do that thing where they take an up and comer with a little name recognition and immediately run them for a statewide position and hang an L on them early in their career. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Donna Howard, Vikki Goodwin, Gina Hinojosa, Lulu Flores... all old-style Austin liberals who voted against SB 1412 (by right ADU). NIMBY bullshit ain't gonna help Austin affordability, but I guess it helps with the Karens in the neighborhood associations. I hope they all get primaried for some Dems who actually give a damn about the housing crisis. Caveman degrowthers shit up just means another 20k of sprawl in Liberty Hill.

I think it's possible that vote goes differently if local control hadn't been on such constant attack this session. 

Here's another observation.  I work downtown, drive past and through various routes to the Capitol each morning.  Thus, every session, I regularly see groups of people heading over there to do business during the session.  The bulk of them are lobbyists, either formal (paid) or informal (just advocating for something).

To be clear, the crew of people at the Capitol has always been dominated by old white guys.  But this session....that's functionally ALL I saw.  I used to see small groups of hispanic men, or women, sometimes even black people, heading over there to try to get something done.  I can't remember seeing any of those this session.  So much so that I truly have started looking for a non white male headed that way the past few weeks...and I haven't seen one.

Which actually makes sense.  Among this group, sending over a minority to lobby for something?  Way to torpedo your cause.  Send over a woman?  She's not going to be taken seriously.  Yes, there's always been a place for pretty young female staffers for the legislators to leer at and take advantage of, but there ALSO has been a window for women of substance to actually present policy ideas and get fair consideration.  Doesn't seem to be nearly the case anymore.  This lege is of, by, and for the old white guy power structure, and by the legislation they are passing, their mission is to goddamn well remind you of that, and who's in charge around here, boy/missy.

• Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Tell me more, sensei.

I know a guy who retired there. Everything was really cheap. Bought him a golf cart and drives from bar to bar each day. Says he only spends about $2000 per month. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But how will kindergartners know not to cheat on their wives?

. . . or not covet their neighbor's ass. 

Wait, is that sort of redundant?

Edited by dcbc

17 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Just reminding you all that you Belize has a great retirement option at 45 y/o.

Jungle, mountains, caves and beaches. 

English is the language.

Fixed conversion rate of 2:1 BZ to USD 

and hopefully will soon cut themselves off from King Charles and the Commonwealth

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, the 10 commandments bill actually didn't pass?

You wouldn't know it from the doom and gloom here but lots of the senate's bullshit dies in the house.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fun ven diagram exercise.  Texans who know the 2nd Amendment.  Pretty sizable.  And that's fine, any civic knowledge is a good thing.  And then Texans who know the 2nd Commandment.  Now you'd think it'd be an almost perfect overlay.   But I bet it barely hits 10%.  Yet they think they're the same fucking people.  Show me I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I think it's possible that vote goes differently if local control hadn't been on such constant attack this session. 

That's fair. And I understand the NIMBYs because I used to be one. But it seems like the Austin contingent of D legislators either failed to identify that the cost of housing as the #1 non-abortion issue (or at least highly important), or recognized it but didn't offer a single solution. And that's worthy reaspn to primaty them in 2024. 

22 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I've also been impressed with Senator Roland Gutierrez.  He was the gentleman who called out the hateful three of Abbott, Patrick and Paxton in the press conference posted above.   

you guys take it to PM. I don't want my retirement plans ruined by a buncha surly assholes driving up the property values before I get down there. 

Don’t be a gatekeeper - we’re good people!

And think of the Surly meet ups we could have!
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

More of this!

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Given that it's Katy, I expect their school board is full of maga nuts who are now going to run him out of town.

Yup. They just elected a bunch of MAGA lunatics in an election with like 8% turnout. That dude is about to be fired. 

11 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Warning: There will be puns...

What's he running for in the next session. He has my vote.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:17 PM, WBT said:

You wouldn't know it from the doom and gloom here but lots of the senate's bullshit dies in the house.

Yes but aren’t pastors replacing school guidance counselors sitting on Dead Legs desk waiting to be signed?

On 5/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, Beau Vine said:

I'm planning on retiring next spring at the latest.  I am seriously considering doing something to blatantly violate the SB17 faculty requirements just to create a shitstorm.

Update:  I am almost disappointed...the version of SB 17 that's headed to Abbott's desk is remarkably trimmed down -- from 2900 words to 1000 words.  The whole section on faculty requirements is gone, and there's nothing about the procedure for firing employees who violate SB 17.  I had really warmed to the idea of getting fired in my last year and my wife was OK with it and I confirmed that getting fired wouldn't make me ineligible for retirement insurance or anything like that, so I still wouldn't mind getting myself fired over something like this, but it won't be SB 17.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Update:  I am almost disappointed...the version of SB 17 that's headed to Abbott's desk is remarkably trimmed down -- from 2900 words to 1000 words.  The whole section on faculty requirements is gone, and there's nothing about the procedure for firing employees who violate SB 17.  I had really warmed to the idea of getting fired in my last year and my wife was OK with it and I confirmed that getting fired wouldn't make me ineligible for retirement insurance or anything like that, so I still wouldn't mind getting myself fired over something like this, but it won't be SB 17.  

Well then, you're just going to have to sleep with multiple students. 

• Like 1