Leopard missing from Dallas Zoo

Pokoloco

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Unlike most criticisms of Dallas, the zoo is in Dallas proper, and yeah, it's not a real nice hood down there. It's not awful-awful, though.

As a card-carrying member of the Dallas Zoo, it is awful-awful.

I remember one time years ago my kids goaded me into going to the janky McDonald’s with the zoo theme next door and it was no different than the McDonalds across from The State Fair. Filthy, disgusting and drug-addled. I’ve heard that area is a huge risk for getting your catalytic converters stolen as well.

4 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

As a card-carrying member of the Dallas Zoo, it is awful-awful.

I remember one time years ago my kids goaded me into going to the janky McDonald’s with the zoo theme next door and it was no different than the McDonalds across from The State Fair. Filthy, disgusting and drug-addled. I’ve heard that area is a huge risk for getting your catalytic converters stolen as well.

Well, it has improved somewhat.  It's not Preston Hollow, obviously, but there are far worse areas of Dallas.  I meander through the area on the way back from Oak Cliff Nature Preserve and it isn't all that bad.  West University Park and Highland Park, by the tollway, were great places to get your cats swiped, or the third-row seats out of you Tahoe/Suburban.

14 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lol at "leopard!"...it's a clouded leopard. They weigh like 30lbs-40lbs not much bigger than a bobcat. I wonder if some fuck is going to turn it into a coat? Assholes everywhere.

Go on and get you some bobcat-sized leopard, tough guy.  

Hope you can hold a pencil between your toes for when you write your findings in the report.  

BD201BAD-BB9E-413A-9915-4002AA3A7E78.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Pods said:

She's got a two-day head start on them, which is more than she needs. That leopard's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. She speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. She'll blend in, disappear; you'll never see her again. With any luck, she's got her Whataburger already.

She got lost in her own zoo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sounds like a botched theft.  Someone cut into the habitat and thought they could just scoop up this wild animal.  These things may not big leopards, but they eat small prey.   I wonder if there is blood on the scene.

As far as the neighborhood, there are some gems in that area (Beckley Club Estates with the roaming peacocks is lovely), but right around the Zoo is rough, for now.  The new Southern Gateway Park, to be built on a deck over I35 (think Klyde Warren) right at the zoo is already transforming the area.  If you hate gentrification, look away.  If you've got a couple of million to buy some land, go for it, but you are way too late for anything close.

4 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Sounds like a botched theft.  Someone cut into the habitat and thought they could just scoop up this wild animal.  These things may not big leopards, but they eat small prey.   I wonder if there is blood on the scene.

As far as the neighborhood, there are some gems in that area (Beckley Club Estates with the roaming peacocks is lovely), but right around the Zoo is rough, for now.  The new Southern Gateway Park, to be built on a deck over I35 (think Klyde Warren) right at the zoo is already transforming the area.  If you hate gentrification, look away.  If you've got a couple of million to buy some land, go for it, but you are way too late for anything close.

As demonstrated by that video above, a housecat can fuck you up pretty good and a bobcat or something bigger is not to be trifled with.

I was camping out at Perdenales and there's a squirrel up in a tree about 50 yards away just bitching his little head off. I thought damn little man, I'm way over here.

Next thing this fucking bobcat pulls a 16 ft vertical out of the brush and yoinks that yappy bastard right off the tree. /dontfuckwithcats

Edited by MissingInAction
Undefeated
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...