Mindy Kaling ruins Scooby Doo

GoPokes83

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i keep seeing references to this "harley quinn" show, like everyone just knows what that is. ive never heard of it. what is harley quinn?

It's a grownup cartoon on HBO - actually pretty funny and does a good job making fun of the source material in a loving way 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i guess she had an animated show and it flopped? what network/service was it on? 

She was invented for the WB Batman animated series in the 1990s, as Joker's... well, she thinks she's his girlfriend; he finds this amusing.

It was a massive hit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

The OG was on cartoon network into the late 90s/early 2000s.

Then there was a What's New Scooby-Doo? from '02 to '06. 

Also the live-action movies in 02 and 04. 

But the youngest kids that Scooby-Doo still resonated with would be around my age - the last of the millennials. I had a Scooby-Doo birthday party and scooby doo bedding at one point. I doubt that's true for any gen z. 

What’s new scooby doo slammed and went hard. And I used to watch the OG on Boomerang as a kid too.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

You know that’s not what they care about here 

This is such bullshit! If you need to have trans friendly or other “inclusive” characters in a show with established beloved characters then introduce them as supplemental characters. Nobody would have an issue with that. This show is fucking with the cast that’s been in place for 54 years just to fuck with them. It’s being done for shock value only!
  • Hook 'Em 5

As which character?

Johnny. And he solves problems with a machine gun and kicking ass. And maybe a car that transforms into a robot with an Alexa voice. While driving an IROC z28 that has gulf wings and can fly. Haji can be rebooted as a test-tube baby that has blue skin and sings “la la lah lah la la, la lah la lah lah” when she drinks mushroom tea and kicks a cat named Azrael. I recommend Zoe Saldana as she seems to be contractually obligated to have body paint. Gargamel can lead V.E.N.O.M who has joined with Skeletor.

Nick Cage plays Azrael
Not sure who to cast as Gargamel, any suggestions?

23 hours ago, Rimbo said:

The trouble with a show like this is I can't always tell if a bad review is coming from an anti-woke SJW/incel, or if it's really that bad of a show.

Well. Saying "Mindy Khaling has never been entertaining" definitely falls into that former group.

I should add.

Not because she acted in it, but because she wrote for and executive produced The Office.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Johnny. And he solves problems with a machine gun and kicking ass. And maybe a car that transforms into a robot with an Alexa voice. While driving an IROC z28 that has gulf wings and can fly. Haji can be rebooted as a test-tube baby that has blue skin and sings “la la lah lah la la, la lah la lah lah” when she drinks mushroom tea and kicks a cat named Azrael. I recommend Zoe Saldana as she seems to be contractually obligated to have body paint. Gargamel can lead V.E.N.O.M who has joined with Skeletor.

Nick Cage plays Azrael
Not sure who to cast as Gargamel, any suggestions?

Gargamel should be either Patrick Stewart or Kristen Stewart.  Or both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Not because she acted in it, but because she wrote for and executive produced The Office.

Kaling has the ability to write very funny material when she’s writing for interesting characters. She wrote some classic episodes of The Office, including “The Dundies.” But since then, she has written mainly for an uninteresting, annoying protagonist (herself), resulting in works of off-putting solipsism.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One of the dumbest things I saw was the showrunners basically saying they left Scooby out because they couldn’t figure out a way to include a talking dog in an animated adult cartoon based on a show about a talking dog.

So, they’re not very creative at the very least.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Asian Daphane pics ???

You get to see her ass, and the asses of a bunch of other high school girls in a locker room, with everything else covered by suds.

velma1.jpg

23 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

There’s no dog?  The fuck?

Two episodes in, so who knows.   Everybody raging are not the target audience, and HBO still had the original movies and series up, so it’s not like the new series is actually replacing everything.

And they just released an amusing movie for the kids that deconstructed the original series a bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

They aren’t even friends / a group yet. I’ll guess the dog shows up last episode 

Tx3putt: "this shit sandwich isn't really shit, it tastes great, besides the shit. I swear I'm good with it even though my breath smells like shit. It's good and all of you are wrong for not liking shit. Well, not shit even though it's progressive shit" YUM

Hungry Fat Bastard GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, demos said:

One of the dumbest things I saw was the showrunners basically saying they left Scooby out because they couldn’t figure out a way to include a talking dog in an animated adult cartoon based on a show about a talking dog.

So, they’re not very creative at the very least.

They’d have Elmer Fudd wandering around in the woods all by himself regardless of the hunting season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

We watched about an episode and a half. It’s just not funny. Like they tried to rely on the raunchiness to make it all funny. Didn’t work. I don’t know, maybe I’ll go back and see if I can keep going. Doubt it tho

i started a thread here (or maybe on shaggy) a few years ago about how modern comedies just aren't really good anymore, and one of my bigger points on that was this trend where writers think that raunchy automatically = funny, and that women being raunchy is simply the zenith of comedy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That still doesn't really answer the question.  There was that movie and God knows how many sequels, prequels, spinoffs, reboots and series there were, because they have to suck every comic book absolutely bone dry.

Which I think is maybe the point, and has only become more so in the current streaming service game of thrones we're living through? Streaming services really provide the opportunity to wring dry every bit of IP that a media company has available, and for Marvel, Star Wars, DC, there's a huge demand and also a lot... juice to squeeze? I'm not a Batman guy and I thought that Suicide Squad was one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. But.. Batman is Batman - the only comparable superhero is Superman, who is fucking lame in comparison. There have been kids shows, but there have been gritty comics and blockbuster movies every couple of years since the early 90s. The Dark Knight trilogy is probably arguably the greatest comic book cinema ever made?

And then fuckin Scooby Doo over here. I know they've made shows forever and they had the movie with Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini, but broadly I'd say that every single bit of Hanna-Barbera everything was completely fucked out before I was even born. It's like Batman if Batman had only ever been the 1960s TV show and remakes of the 1960s TV show and every episode ended exactly the same. There was no juice to squeeze to begin with, if they tried to do the same thing with Yogi Bear it would suck even if they did a good job. If they tried to do the same thing with... TMNT or Power Rangers or some kids series from the 90s or 2000s it would probably also suck but at least the people nostalgic about it wouldn't be members of AARP.

• Hook 'Em 1