Mindy Kaling ruins Scooby Doo

GoPokes83

Re: Kaling.  She’s an interesting producer, and like many show runners, she’s hit or miss.  As an on screen talent, she’s like Seth Rogan: if you are centering a project on her, that’s usually not a good thing. She’s a second or third, not a lead.  Sometimes actors don’t have “it.”

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That still doesn't really answer the question.  There was that movie and God knows how many sequels, prequels, spinoffs, reboots and series there were, because they have to suck every comic book absolutely bone dry.

I did some googling because of that pic and what I came up with was Margot Robbie full frontal.

I’m sorry, what was the question?

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i started a thread here (or maybe on shaggy) a few years ago about how modern comedies just aren't really good anymore, and one of my bigger points on that was this trend where writers think that raunchy automatically = funny, and that women being raunchy is simply the zenith of comedy. 

The reason shows like Big Mouth can get away with being super raunchy is because it’s, well, actually funny. And relatable. Everyone has gone through puberty, everyone gets it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i started a thread here (or maybe on shaggy) a few years ago about how modern comedies just aren't really good anymore, and one of my bigger points on that was this trend where writers think that raunchy automatically = funny, and that women being raunchy is simply the zenith of comedy. 

Amy Schumer made a career out of it, and she's said to be the funniest person alive!

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Re: Kaling.  She’s an interesting producer, and like many show runners, she’s hit or miss.  As an on screen talent, she’s like Seth Rogan: if you are centering a project on her, that’s usually not a good thing. She’s a second or third, not a lead.  Sometimes actors don’t have “it.”

it's popular and probably fair to shit on Rogen but imo he actually has a pretty solid record. If you judge moveis like Neighbors, The Night Before, etc for what they are they're perfectly fine. Long Shot is actually surprisingly good. I can understand how he's irritating to people as a person and a persona but if he does a thing I'll watch it. I can't think of films that have tried to make him into Chris Pratt.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Mindy Kaling was never funny. Like not even funny on the Office. 

Again, your opinion on yet another topic is pure garbage. She delivered some pretty fucking funny, one-off lines (usually directed at Ryan) on The Office.

That said, this doesn't look all that interesting to me. I've got too much other shit to watch in the queue.

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Which I think is maybe the point, and has only become more so in the current streaming service game of thrones we're living through? Streaming services really provide the opportunity to wring dry every bit of IP that a media company has available, and for Marvel, Star Wars, DC, there's a huge demand and also a lot... juice to squeeze? I'm not a Batman guy and I thought that Suicide Squad was one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. But.. Batman is Batman - the only comparable superhero is Superman, who is fucking lame in comparison. There have been kids shows, but there have been gritty comics and blockbuster movies every couple of years since the early 90s. The Dark Knight trilogy is probably arguably the greatest comic book cinema ever made?

And then fuckin Scooby Doo over here. I know they've made shows forever and they had the movie with Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini, but broadly I'd say that every single bit of Hanna-Barbera everything was completely fucked out before I was even born. It's like Batman if Batman had only ever been the 1960s TV show and remakes of the 1960s TV show and every episode ended exactly the same. There was no juice to squeeze to begin with, if they tried to do the same thing with Yogi Bear it would suck even if they did a good job. If they tried to do the same thing with... TMNT or Power Rangers or some kids series from the 90s or 2000s it would probably also suck but at least the people nostalgic about it wouldn't be members of AARP.

What?

• Haha 1

If you were to try and compare individual superheroes from... general comic book lore, Superman and Batman stand above the rest. The Marvel guys are awesome, but Iron Man isn't quite the same thing as an individual entity in terms of cultural importance and impact as Batman or Superman. I don't know who else you would compare, again as an individual superhero in that context. But I'm not a comic/action hero expert guy so and I'm sure people could make different arguments.

Superman is lame in comparison to Batman. This is as self evident as... a Bugatti Veyron is cooler than a Toyota Solara. Can't help you if you don't see it.

38 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

I’m not sure I 100% agree with your police work there, Lou. 

She probably had the single best line in This  Is The End. 

54 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it's popular and probably fair to shit on Rogen but imo he actually has a pretty solid record. If you judge moveis like Neighbors, The Night Before, etc for what they are they're perfectly fine. Long Shot is actually surprisingly good. I can understand how he's irritating to people as a person and a persona but if he does a thing I'll watch it. I can't think of films that have tried to make him into Chris Pratt.

I don’t hate Rogan, he just needs to be used in an ensemble cast.  Knocked Up and Pineapple Express both had about 50% too much Rogan. 

Just now, ajax said:

Does anyone really love Scooby Doo enough to watch a reboot? The original was pretty bad. It seems like they're stirring up a lot of stuff to get eyeballs and it seems like it's working.

There was a half-decent Scooby Doo movie for the kids and long-time fans, Trick or Treat Scooby Doo, released a few months ago, that poked fun at all of the previous Scooby Doo movies/shows - basically that one person was making the costumes for all of the previous costumed villains that the gang had captured, and that all of the previous villains were being held in one prison, and because they caught the costume maker, all of their cases dried up and they were forced to take on boring shit to pay the bills.  And yeah, they played up the Velma = lesbian part.

Spoilers

Spoiler

Mystery Incorporated are summoned to a Nepal ski resort under siege by a cat monster. After the gang captures it by triggering an avalanche, it's revealed to be one of the owners of the resort, trying to keep her step-mother out of the business. Mystery Inc. takes and analyzes a whisker from the cat costume, learning that it is made with the same materials as costumes used by villains in their previous mysteries. They determine that the costumes were made by the same person, Coco Diablo, a high-end Halloween costume designer. 

We are introduced to both Coco and her assistant, Trevor (who can only make Dracula costumes). Coco berates Trevor for his lack of imagination, feeding his recent outfit design to a pit of alligators. 

To capture Coco, Scooby-Doo and Shaggy disguise themselves as a potential buyer, and when Coco agrees to give them a costume in exchange for killing Mystery Inc., they reveal themselves. Velma is instantly attracted to Coco, but it's too late, because Coco is off to the Coolsville Penitentiary. 

A year passes with Fred, Daphne and Velma growing more and more depressed by the lack of truly difficult mysteries, while Shaggy and Scooby are having a much better time. After solving a tax scheme, only for the perpetrator to get away with it, Fred makes a wish in a wishing well for more mysteries. 

The gang attends a local carnival and are attacked by a ghost that resembles Fred and blows up the Mystery Machine. Desperate for leads, they go to Coolsville Penitentiary (where every criminal they caught is imprisoned) to interview Coco Diablo, and meet the sadistic warden, who calls himself their biggest fan. He allows them to meet Coco, and when they can't give her any details about the costume, the warden agrees to let them take Coco out, as long as one of them wears a bracelet that will monitor Coco's heart rate and alert the police if she gets too far away from it. 

After finding a clue at the carnival in the remains of their booth, the gang goes to do research at the local library, joined by Coco and Esteban, her highly intelligent cat. At the library, they are attacked by ghosts that resemble the entire gang, but escape and go to confront Trevor at his new shop when Coco determines that the costumes matched his style of design. 

Trevor reveals that he sent four costumes of Victorian-era style to Coolsville Penitentiary, and the gang discoverers that Coco broke her heart monitor and escaped. They follow her to her factory and trap the ghosts with the alligator pit, revealing that the ghosts are robots in costumes. 

Coco offers a false confession, but the gang sees through it and determines that the warden is holding Esteban hostage and is behind the whole thing. He confesses and is arrested, but when trying to assure Mystery Inc. that they were never in any real danger, he accidentally releases all the inmates at the penitentiary. They escape, and to round them up, the gang dresses up in costumes of criminals from their past cases. After re-capturing the inmates, Shaggy and Scooby reluctantly return the candy the inmates stole to the trick-or-treaters and Trevor gives them a large bag of candy while reveals himself to be a surfer using a disguise while Coco willingly returns to prison.

• Like 1

The treatment of Scooby Doo as some sacred cow is strange.

As far as Harley Quinn, there’s a cartoon on HBO Max that is batshit insane and is often really funny. It’s honestly surprising with the violence and cursing that DC just let’s it go. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but season 3 lost me some. Hope they’re back for 4th.

Good voice team with Kaley Cuoco, Lake Bell, Deidrich Bader, JB Smoove, Tony Hale, Alan Tudyk, etc. Bane is the best character.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

She was meant to be an annoying, vapid, super bubbly girl obsessed with Ryan, and that was her character. She has some great quips and one liners, but she was not a main character. Most of her stuff was something to do with Ryan, but she was good in that role. I felt like the writers kept her usage low enough to where it didn't interfere with enjoying the show. 

10 minutes ago, Stringer said:

The treatment of Scooby Doo as some sacred cow is strange.

As far as Harley Quinn, there’s a cartoon on HBO Max that is batshit insane and is often really funny. It’s honestly surprising with the violence and cursing that DC just let’s it go. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but season 3 lost me some. Hope they’re back for 4th.

Good voice team with Kaley Cuoco, Lake Bell, Deidrich Bader, JB Smoove, Tony Hale, Alan Tudyk, etc. Bane is the best character.

This. Harley Quinn is the gold standard of reimagining a well known and beloved universe in a hilarious, innovative way.  It’s worth it Lake Bell’s Poison Ivy alone. She has some next tier cursing rants. The violence is first rate, the female characters are hot, the story lines clever AF.  Kaley Chico voices Harley and is the executive producer, which is the inverse of our current debate: I don’t find her live acting to be particularly compelling, but that’s mostly because Big Bang Theory is a meh show for dumb people to feel smart.

Maybe that’s what  Kaling was going for here, but it sounds like it didn’t land. I’ve already got too much to stream and I don’t give a fuck enough about Scooby Doo to put this in the que, unless it were getting Andor level reviews.

Edited by Bateshorn

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Again, your opinion on yet another topic is pure garbage. She delivered some pretty fucking funny, one-off lines (usually directed at Ryan) on The Office.

That said, this doesn't look all that interesting to me. I've got too much other shit to watch in the queue.

Her best moment imo. 

questions-mindy-kaling.gif

She's fine. She doesn't move 5he needle for me but my wife likes her. She's not a number 1 but she's good in a supporting role. 

If you were to try and compare individual superheroes from... general comic book lore, Superman and Batman stand above the rest. The Marvel guys are awesome, but Iron Man isn't quite the same thing as an individual entity in terms of cultural importance and impact as Batman or Superman. I don't know who else you would compare, again as an individual superhero in that context. But I'm not a comic/action hero expert guy so and I'm sure people could make different arguments.
Superman is lame in comparison to Batman. This is as self evident as... a Bugatti Veyron is cooler than a Toyota Solara. Can't help you if you don't see it.
Ummm Spider Man ain't no slouch chief!

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Ummm Spider Man ain't no slouch chief!

Yeah probably spider man is the biggest Marvel superhero and is the best direct comparison. And i much prefer Spider-Man to Batman. I’m probably biasing my “cultural importance” measure too much for older stuff as well - in my lifetime DC is second tier to marvel outside of the Dark Knight trilogy.

for Mindy on The Office - she was a huge part of the writers room I think. And Kelly did have some of the best lines.

54 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Scooby Doo was never a good show to begin with, so who cares.

Scooby Doo is/was a kid’s cartoon to watch on Saturday mornings. I would think that it was not written or produced to be critiqued by adults, acting and viewing it as adults. When was the last time you got up on a Saturday morning, got a bowl of cereal, and planted yourself in front of a TV to watch cartoons for an hour or so before you went outside to build a fort in the woods, ride your bike, play army or cowboys and Indians with your friends until it was time to come in for the evening?

It is/was great viewing for a kid.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

If you were to try and compare individual superheroes from... general comic book lore, Superman and Batman stand above the rest. The Marvel guys are awesome, but Iron Man isn't quite the same thing as an individual entity in terms of cultural importance and impact as Batman or Superman.

Sexy Spider-Man GIF

The Hulk Reaction GIF

15 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

When was the last time you got up on a Saturday morning, got a bowl of cereal, and planted yourself in front of a TV to watch cartoons for an hour or so before you went outside to build a fort in the woods, ride your bike, play army or cowboys and Indians with your friends until it was time to come in for the evening?

Awkward Kid GIF

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Scooby Doo is/was a kid’s cartoon to watch on Saturday mornings. I would think that it was not written or produced to be critiqued by adults, acting and viewing it as adults. When was the last time you got up on a Saturday morning, got a bowl of cereal, and planted yourself in front of a TV to watch cartoons for an hour or so before you went outside to build a fort in the woods, ride your bike, play army or cowboys and Indians with your friends until it was time to come in for the evening?

Thats what i mean, its a dumbass show for 8 year olds, with a few adult jokes thrown in for whoever was babysitting(scooby and shaggy being stoned all the time, etc). There was nothing to ruin lol

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Thats what i mean, its a dumbass show for 8 year olds, with a few adult jokes thrown in for whoever was babysitting(scooby and shaggy being stoned all the time, etc). There was nothing to ruin lol

but muh nostalgia must be protected at all costs! 

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

When was the last time you got up on a Saturday morning, got a bowl of cereal, and planted yourself in front of a TV to watch cartoons for an hour or so before you went outside to build a fort in the woods, ride your bike, play army or cowboys and Indians with your friends until it was time to come in for the evening?

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 3