Best High School Fight Song

El Moco

On 1/23/2023 at 3:12 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Hey now!  For a pretty pedestrian football history, we did have a couple Super Bowl participants (if not stsrrers), the year the titans  played the Rams. Aggie Safety and Tony D’s boy.   When I was there we were a swimming, AC decathalon and soccer school. 

We had one year when I was there we tied a school who didn't lose until the state championship game.  We also tied another school who went 0-9-1.  Very Jekyll and Hyde.  We did have a couple of all SWC players come off that team.  A few years later we had the Aggie/Oiler D lineman.  Think he played about a dozen years in the NFL, frequent all pro.  We were good at soccer and swimming then and probably the best public HS academically in the state.  We had the start of a good cross-country team (unfortunately the top 4 teams in the DFW region were in our district that year) and they got really good just after I graduated..

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, bullet said:

We had one year when I was there we tied a school who didn't lose until the state championship game.  We also tied another school who went 0-9-1.  Very Jekyll and Hyde.  We did have a couple of all SWC players come off that team.  A few years later we had the Aggie/Oiler D lineman.  Think he played about a dozen years in the NFL, frequent all pro.  We were good at soccer and swimming then and probably the best public HS academically in the state.  We had the start of a good cross-country team (unfortunately the top 4 teams in the DFW region were in our district that year) and they got really good just after I graduated..

Sounds like you got me by a few years; that lineman you are referring to,Childress, was my neighbor.  

On 1/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, Ghost of LL said:

I have no idea what Highland Park's fight song was.  It wasn't a college fight song (to my knowledge).  It was just kind of like they gave someone a few bucks and say "write a generic football fight song," and that's what we got.

Yeah I have no idea where it came from and it wasn't for a lack of looking around, either. The alma mater is based on a song from the Broadway musical The Red Mill, but it seems the fight song is, as you suggest, completely made up.

Apparently, Pflugerville HS uses Kentucky's fight song.  Someone already did the homework for us:

https://www.6atexasfootball.com/forum/off-topic/366141-texas-fight-songs

04-09-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by lionelkid456 View Post
so obviously i am a band geek but i also enjoy football as much as I do band but i was just curious if anyone knew (or remember) their school's fight song. here are some examples of some high school's with college fight songs (that i know) in the Central Texas/Austin Area and teams that i know:

Round Rock High/Georgetown East View/CP Vista Ridge/Schertz Clemens - On Wisconsin
RR Cedar Ridge/Leander Rouse - Northwestern
RR Stony Point - Abilene Christian
Belton/Hutto/Austin Bowie - Texas Fight (Bowie's is altered)
Taylor/Bastrop - Baylor
Austin Anderson - USC
Temple - Notre Dame/Northwestern
Coppell/Austin High/Leander High/Longview - Notre Dame
The Woodlands/Klein Oak/Flower Mound - Michigan
Allen/Georgetown/Austin Westlake/Klein Collins - Ohio State (Across the Field)
Pflugerville - Kentucky (key of Eb)
Hendrickson - US Coast Guard Song
Judson - Cincinnati (seems in the key of Bb)
Cedar Park - Kansas
Vandegrift - LSU

that's all i can remember haha if anyone has anything that i missed feel free to chime in
As you said, Longview's is Notre Dame's.

Others I remember (not all 6A)
Lufkin/Wylie/Gilmer/Diboll/Winnsboro/Southlake Carroll - On Wisconsin
Rockwall/Lancaster/Spring Hill - Aggie War Hymn
Mesquite/Henderson/Canton - Texas Fight
Mesquite Horn - Kansas State
North Mesquite/Whitehouse/Palestine Wesstwood - Coast Guard
Marshall/Garland/Dallas Bryan Adams - Sped up version of the Rice School Song
Tyler Lee - Waitin' for the Robert E Lee (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omp051t3rs)
John Tyler - A version of Big Bad John
Pine Tree/Bullard - You're A Grand Old (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZFW8bCFP8)
McKinney Boyd - Michigan
Hallsville - Dixie
Wylie East - Texas Tech
Jacksonville/Paul Pewitt/Tatum - Notre Dame
Carrollton Newman Smith - Pony Battle Cry (SMU)
South Garland's used to be Dixie, but I'm almost positive they've changed it recently
Lake Highlands - USC
Daingerfield - Eye of the Tiger
Palestine - Army

Edited by PvilleStang

28 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Yeah I have no idea where it came from and it wasn't for a lack of looking around, either. The alma mater is based on a song from the Broadway musical The Red Mill, but it seems the fight song is, as you suggest, completely made up.

And the alma mater is the same tune as the Okie State fight song (though obviously Okie State plays their fight song at a significantly swifter tempo).