Raffle prize suggestions

txhorns

I’m going to do a raffle to fundraise for the little league baseball organization that I run this year.  I did it last year and it went well so am doing it again.  I prefer a raffle as I don’t have to buy and manage a bunch of products for kids to run around trying to sell.  We did a raffle last year and our prizes were:

1st prize - $300 rolling Igloo ice chest, $100 Academy gift card, and $100 Specs gift card

2nd prize - $150 Yeti cooler bag, $50 Academy gift card and $50 Specs gift card

3rd prize - custom made wood baseball bat

I will do the baseball bat again for the 3rd prize but need ideas for the first two prizes.  Would like to keep the value around the same if possible but can go up if needed for a good prize.  Bonus if the prize relates to baseball.  I’ve considered a smoker or grill for the top prize, especially if I can get a store to give me a great deal on one.  I need more ideas though.  Any help is much appreciated.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, txhorns said:

I’m going to do a raffle to fundraise for the little league baseball organization that I run this year.  I did it last year and it went well so am doing it again.  I prefer a raffle as I don’t have to buy and manage a bunch of products for kids to run around trying to sell.  We did a raffle last year and our prizes were:

1st prize - $300 rolling Igloo ice chest, $100 Academy gift card, and $100 Specs gift card

I will do the baseball bat again for the 3rd prize but need ideas for the first two prizes.  Would like to keep the value around the same if possible but can go up if needed for a good prize.  Bonus if the prize relates to baseball.  I’ve considered a smoker or grill for the top prize, especially if I can get a store to give me a great deal on one.  I need more ideas though.  Any help is much appreciated.

First, you are talking about spending money for the raffle.  You go sell sponsorships to area businesses, whose name can appear on the ticket or on your promotional website!!!!  You can get a shit ton of nearby businesses to give you $100 bucks or at least $100 in product.  You just need to explain how their business will be recognized. If the drawing is at an event? If there is an event for the drawing then the ways to get sponsorship dollars go up dramatically.  You are honestly thinking too small!  You have a great product and I would start with every place where the kids and parents might go post game for sponsorship money.  You will be shocked at how many folks will be willing to help you out in money or product because they see your kids in their places, or just want to support kids.  Dentists and orthodontists, can be easy $3-500 a pop if you can get them on.

I would sell sponsorships based on being part of a coupon flyer.   They give you sponsorship money CASH, and you print their name on a coupon and they get some advertising and hopefully some foot traffic for their goodwill.  Gotta find something to put their name on, coupons, banner, T-shirts or whatever.

Good luck, but you can raise an easy $2K by knocking on a few doors.  I used to sell $500, $200, and $100 sponsorships for the back of Soccer tournament T-shirts.  We were selling the shirts for $10, that were more than paid for by the sponsorships.  A raffle is different, but figure out a way to get some advertising for sponsors (on the website?) and knock on a few doors. 

HOW are you going to sell the tickets?   

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

First, you are talking about spending money for the raffle.  You go sell sponsorships to area businesses, whose name can appear on the ticket or on your promotional website!!!!  You can get a shit ton of nearby businesses to give you $100 bucks or at least $100 in product.  You just need to explain how their business will be recognized. If the drawing is at an event? If there is an event for the drawing then the ways to get sponsorship dollars go up dramatically.  You are honestly thinking too small!  You have a great product and I would start with every place where the kids and parents might go post game for sponsorship money.  You will be shocked at how many folks will be willing to help you out in money or product because they see your kids in their places, or just want to support kids.  Dentists and orthodontists, can be easy $3-500 a pop if you can get them on.

I would sell sponsorships based on being part of a coupon flyer.   They give you sponsorship money CASH, and you print their name on a coupon and they get some advertising and hopefully some foot traffic for their goodwill.  Gotta find something to put their name on, coupons, banner, T-shirts or whatever.

Good luck, but you can raise an easy $2K by knocking on a few doors.  I used to sell $500, $200, and $100 sponsorships for the back of Soccer tournament T-shirts.  We were selling the shirts for $10, that were more than paid for by the sponsorships.  A raffle is different, but figure out a way to get some advertising for sponsors (on the website?) and knock on a few doors. 

HOW are you going to sell the tickets?   

We sell sponsorship banners to go on the outfield fence at $300 a banner.  I will likely get at least 25 banners this season.  I figure out what I want to raffle, then budget to buy those at regular cost coming out of banner money, then ask the store if they can donate or help out.  Typically the store at least gives me a big discount 30-40% off up to just donating it to the league.  Then I get the kids to sell the raffle tickets and have the drawing on opening day.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, txhorns said:

We sell sponsorship banners to go on the outfield fence at $300 a banner.  I will likely get at least 25 banners this season.  I figure out what I want to raffle, then budget to buy those at regular cost coming out of banner money, then ask the store if they can donate or help out.  Typically the store at least gives me a big discount 30-40% off up to just donating it to the league.  Then I get the kids to sell the raffle tickets and have the drawing on opening day.

OK.  What I used to do was use tiers of sponsorship.  Where a top tier $500 sponsor might get a banner for the outfield, a 1/4 page coupon or ad on the advertising flyers given to each kid with their uniforms, and a pop up in rotation on the website. A $300 banner only since you have already been selling those, and add a 1/8 page ad as a bonus. But you can pull stacks of $100 dollar donations, if you can somehow tie it advertising.  Uniform kit flyers are super cheap and allow sponsors to get some advertising into the hands of each kid (parent).  So maybe for $100 you get to include a 1/8 inch ad/coupon in the flyer.  

I used a gold, silver and bronze sponsor level.  Hit up the trophy place, the decal place, the team photo place, the uniform place, anyone that makes a dime off of the kiddos. 

I don't know about your ability to run tournaments, but I think my best fundraiser was like $17,000 after the tournament fees, T-shirt sales, and clean profit sponsorship dollars.  Good Luck!  My tag line to close sales was a grinning, "it's for the children!" Most everyone can part with $100 to help out. 

The sponsorship sales were actually easier than I thought, because damnit sponsoring kids is an easy product to sell.  The way I looked at it, was every dime I raise past the costs of producing the even were pure profit to the association.  But find ways to add advertising opportunities to the donations and you will sell a shit ton. And be a hero! Thanks for doing this for the kids.  I know how much time and effort it takes, but it really is worth it!

On 1/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, txhorns said:

I'd skip the raffle ticket thing and just do a silent auction, but it might be too late for you to pivot.    The league my kids used to play in did this as part of opening day when you had all the teams there from T-Ball to Junior League.    Set it up in the high traffic areas in your complex  or next to your concession stands and you have the parents and grandparents looking at that stuff to past time until the ceremonies start or their kid plays later.   We had each team either put together a basket of some sort with a theme or they would solicit a business to donate an item, event, trip with a nice monetary value to start the bidding at.    For example, a team might decide to do a camping basket and utilize a cooler as the basket and fill it with camping items.  As a parent I had no problem donating an item or money for them to buy items for the basket.    And I imagine for the league officers, it was easier to collect money and the such from the sale of a few dozen baskets and donated items vs trying to corral ticket stubs and money from the team managers and moms.