If you like Texas football and open this thread. Be prepared to spend 1K on NIL

immamac

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Man that's not how I meant it at all, I've been steadfast in saying that yall are doing amazing work and I'm truly impressed. 

If you will notice I said "we've got to do something as an AD" which pretty directly points out I'm not talking about yall at all.  I don't know what it is that the AD would need to do to get the money flowing. I suspect it might be as simple as a direct pitch to the benefactor that "hey- this is really important- any money you contribute here will directly benefit the program more tangibly than any other money you can contribute" but that would require the AD to be selfless as pertains to turf battles and alturistic in looking out for the best interests of the program.  So, just the want to I suspect would be able to get it done.  Beyond that- making Texas One donations equivalent to LHF points (I know yall are working on that but again- that shouldn't have to be your battle) would certainly help for some of the $200 donor (really more like the $5,000-$10,000 class in there I would think), while if the big money guys need to see their name put on something then put their name on something for a big enough donation to Texas One.  Instead of spending $5,000,000 to have the tennis center named after you (or whatever it is) name the Tennis Center after the guy that endows the Tennis program with a $5,000,000 endowment that kicks off $300,000 in income every year to pay $100,000 to our Top 3 tennis players and I bet you would get the top 3 tennis players over having the nicest tennis facilities.  You can always put 2 names on the building (or name the damn court or something) and get to the same place.   

You're misunderstanding my initial comment. I didn't take your point as criticism...more naivete. But particularly not criticism of us. Some of these Billionaires, as CTJ has said, are opposed to NIL and paying collegiate players on general principle of their own worldview. A worldview that sees the benefit of having their names on buildings, plaques, etc., but view paying players to be evil and corrupt. I'm sure some view it as a sign of a failing society and a sign of the apocalypse. Just like every other generation that was confronted with massive changes in their status quo had a huge percentage of detractors that hated said change. You think there is some way to "get over" or "get past" this, as where I see a bunch of rich guys with strong opinions and all the leverage of their money with no balancing leveraging on the scales...because there isn't. 

Let me go ahead and skip you past the rest of your paragraph. The AD has pitched these guys. The AD is actually unified. The LHF has folks pushing the NIL agenda to donors. They're being met with crickets and slammed doors. You think there's some dynamic here or pressure point that will have folks see things differently. I simply do not think that is the case. Generational divide and personal prejudices and worldviews are real things. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're misunderstanding my initial comment. I didn't take your point as criticism...more naivete. But particularly not criticism of us. Some of these Billionaires, as CTJ has said, are opposed to NIL and paying collegiate players on general principle of their own worldview. A worldview that sees the benefit of having their names on buildings, plaques, etc., but view paying players to be evil and corrupt. I'm sure some view it as a sign of a failing society and a sign of the apocalypse. Just like every other generation that was confronted with massive changes in their status quo had a huge percentage of detractors that hated said change. You think there is some way to "get over" or "get past" this, as where I see a bunch of rich guys with strong opinions and all the leverage of their money with no balancing leveraging on the scales...because there isn't. 

Let me go ahead and skip you past the rest of your paragraph. The AD has pitched these guys. The AD is actually unified. The LHF has folks pushing the NIL agenda to donors. They're being met with crickets and slammed doors. You think there's some dynamic here or pressure point that will have folks see things differently. I simply do not think that is the case. Generational divide and personal prejudices and worldviews are real things. 

That's a bummer.  Thanks for the education on that.  I'm actually kind of stunned to think that the AD is acting selflessly and making the pitch and it's falling on deaf ears.  I figured if the AD was onboard they ought to be able to get those donors on board.  I suppose the access is still being promised?  Maybe it's just a matter of time. If we go to the SEC and get our brains kicked in while being at a talent defecit that's legal (as opposed to illegal) that could be eye opening I suppose.  Or maybe we will just have to wait until I win the power ball and don't have enough to purchase the Astros but do have enough to buy a title winning football team for my own amusement.  I suppose there is always the nuclear option of not being able to get Sark or CDC or the like on the phone when they want to and not having the same level of access that they used to have.  I'm not suggesting that should be the play but I know for damn sure I'd rather have a shitty practice bubble and all conference skill players than the other way around. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know you talk about this all the time and I appreciate the sentiment but charity is a personal thing.  We do 5 figures through compassion international (and other similar charities with direct aid to registered impoverished) a year- that goes to feeding a kid for $50 a month, then you can give a yearly gift of $1,000, you can give birthday gifts of $100, shit like that.  We got 5 because we all picked someone with our birthday and we write to them, and pray for them and the like.  When we get back pictures of the cow they bought so they now have economic security, or the tin roof shack so that they don't have to live in the mud anymore, or see the micro businesses they are starting with chickens and goats and selling shit there is no way I'm putting paying Texas football players in front of that- if it's an either/or.  So I totally and completely get the idea that a Billionaire has bigger fish to fry with their charitable giving than Texas One, or anyone on here. 

But, and this is a huge ass but, if they are giving money hand over fist to the athletic department b/c they care about Texas winning and being good at sports they just HAVE to reconsider Texas One.  No facility in the world is going to attract top talent if somebody else is paying that top talent.  The idea that they give $5M to stroke their own ego with a naming right on something that doesn't move the needle and sit out funding the pay to players while guys like yall and Immamac are carrying a big load is just bullshit and we have got to do something as an AD to get over whatever is causing that rift and point out to the benefactors that talent is the lifeblood of the program and it's money a lot better spent to get a few missing pieces in the portal or on the recruiting trail than to buy out 8 win Estaban, because 8 win Esteban might have been 11 win Steven with Addison and a sack machine in the portal smoothing out our two biggest areas of need.  I know I'd rather see the checks written for success to players than chasing buy outs on guys who can't get it done because they are outmatched and outgunned on the talent front.  

That's the response to the Billionaire.  The response to the guy on this part of the site that hasn't contributed is - why the hell not?  You are kind of being a bad person, if you use this site all the time, value the community it creates, and can't fork over the inconsequential amount of $9.99 a month.  Don't be a free rider.  Contribute to Burnt Endz.  or Texas One.  But it's just really shitty that you would take something that gives you this much joy and give back nothing in return. I honestly don't understand that sentiment at all.  We've got 60,000 unique users.  It shouldn't be asking too much for Surly alone to be pumping 7 figures into the Texas One or Burnt Endz account.  I just don't understand people. I don't understand the docs and lawyers with 20,000 posts on this site that can't be bothered to set up a 10 a month contribution.  People are strange and I don't understand them. 

To be clear, I don't feel entitled to tell other people how to spend their money. I've had points in my life, including all of the first 25 years of it, where paying for more than one monthly sub of $9.95 would have been too much. I know how hard it is for folks. 

That considered, yeah, I hope charitable spend from folks is going to higher priorities for the most part than NIL. But the hope and desire is, for those who are able to give healthily to charities on a yearly basis, that they consider a small part of that for NIL if they give a shit about seeing their programs win. That includes billionaires who absolutely could do as much and have a massive impact. To each their own, however. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, goathumper said:

Yeah they are.  They also own 98% of the internet space for aggy (who values conformity) while we have a jillion different sites competing for eyeballs.  Even accounting for that I think they are probably whipping us.  

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, I don't feel entitled to tell other people how to spend their money. I've had points in my life, including all of the first 25 years of it, where paying for more than one monthly sub of $9.95 would have been too much. I know how hard it is for folks. 

That considered, yeah, I hope charitable spend from folks is going to higher priorities for the most part than NIL. But the hope and desire is, for those who are able to give healthily to charities on a yearly basis, that they consider a small part of that for NIL if they give a shit about seeing their programs win. That includes billionaires who absolutely could do as much and have a massive impact. To each their own, however. 

Oh I got that part about you not telling other people how to spend their money. I was acknowledging my appreciation of the fact that you talk about it with every post and point out that these guys have other commitments that are really really important.  That shines through clearly. 

That's what the BUT was about in my second paragraph. IF those guys don't want to give because they are busy solving real world problems for people good for them and I support that fully- that's where most of my charitable giving goes.  To the extent that they are giving money to the AD but refuse to give to NIL efforts is where I have a problem with what they are doing.  That problem isn't from a moral sense it's from a strategic sense. More like- hey dumb dumb, how do you not get that paying $5M to buy out a coach is a terrible investment compared to paying $5M to buy an AA edge and an All Conference WR, TB and LB.  Do the latter and you won't have to do the former. If it's about your ego then that's shitty. Make it about what's most helpful to the program. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know you talk about this all the time and I appreciate the sentiment but charity is a personal thing.  We do 5 figures through compassion international (and other similar charities with direct aid to registered impoverished) a year- that goes to feeding a kid for $50 a month, then you can give a yearly gift of $1,000, you can give birthday gifts of $100, shit like that.  We got 5 because we all picked someone with our birthday and we write to them, and pray for them and the like.  When we get back pictures of the cow they bought so they now have economic security, or the tin roof shack so that they don't have to live in the mud anymore, or see the micro businesses they are starting with chickens and goats and selling shit there is no way I'm putting paying Texas football players in front of that- if it's an either/or.  So I totally and completely get the idea that a Billionaire has bigger fish to fry with their charitable giving than Texas One, or anyone on here. 

But, and this is a huge ass but, if they are giving money hand over fist to the athletic department b/c they care about Texas winning and being good at sports they just HAVE to reconsider Texas One.  No facility in the world is going to attract top talent if somebody else is paying that top talent.  The idea that they give $5M to stroke their own ego with a naming right on something that doesn't move the needle and sit out funding the pay to players while guys like yall and Immamac are carrying a big load is just bullshit and we have got to do something as an AD to get over whatever is causing that rift and point out to the benefactors that talent is the lifeblood of the program and it's money a lot better spent to get a few missing pieces in the portal or on the recruiting trail than to buy out 8 win Estaban, because 8 win Esteban might have been 11 win Steven with Addison and a sack machine in the portal smoothing out our two biggest areas of need.  I know I'd rather see the checks written for success to players than chasing buy outs on guys who can't get it done because they are outmatched and outgunned on the talent front.  

That's the response to the Billionaire.  The response to the guy on this part of the site that hasn't contributed is - why the hell not?  You are kind of being a bad person, if you use this site all the time, value the community it creates, and can't fork over the inconsequential amount of $9.99 a month.  Don't be a free rider.  Contribute to Burnt Endz.  or Texas One.  But it's just really shitty that you would take something that gives you this much joy and give back nothing in return. I honestly don't understand that sentiment at all.  We've got 60,000 unique users.  It shouldn't be asking too much for Surly alone to be pumping 7 figures into the Texas One or Burnt Endz account.  I just don't understand people. I don't understand the docs and lawyers with 20,000 posts on this site that can't be bothered to set up a 10 a month contribution.  People are strange and I don't understand them. 

Here's an idea. Make every Surly user contribute $9.95/a month and 100% goes to NIL. Boom. 

2 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Here's an idea. Make every Surly user contribute $9.95/a month and 100% goes to NIL. Boom. 

I don't think you could do that for obvious reasons. I think it would have to be on the users to create a culture of shame for those who do not.  Even then you have to realize that you are talking about 600 active users, 6000 people that comment occasionally and 60,000 people that lurk.  The best that can be done, imo, is positive peer pressure from the owners of the site and expectations from posters that you should contribute, and I don't see that happening. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't think you could do that for obvious reasons. I think it would have to be on the users to create a culture of shame for those who do not.  Even then you have to realize that you are talking about 600 active users, 6000 people that comment occasionally and 60,000 people that lurk.  The best that can be done, imo, is positive peer pressure from the owners of the site and expectations from posters that you should contribute, and I don't see that happening. 

You would be surprised how motivating shame can be.  

If you don't have $9.95 to contribute each month then you probably shouldn't be wasting time on this site.  

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah they are.  They also own 98% of the internet space for aggy (who values conformity) while we have a jillion different sites competing for eyeballs.  Even accounting for that I think they are probably whipping us.  

Basically this. Aggy weakness and strength is that they are a cult herd who does whatever their (yell) master tells them 

I'm currently paying for my oldest daughters Quinceanera, no way I can pay 1k for this. But I do contribute to the One fund every month. This topic brought an interesting point as far as donations.. I need to up my donation for Burnt Ends.. which I will do later today.

#HookEm

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm currently paying for my oldest daughters Quinceanera, no way I can pay 1k for this. But I do contribute to the One fund every month. This topic brought an interesting point as far as donations.. I need to up my donation for Burnt Ends.. which I will do later today.

#HookEm

If you invite me and @immamac to get drunk at your daughters Quincenera I can guarantee you can have one of the spots at the HCC. I can’t think of a more fair trade

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

#HookEm

So it turns out Thiefery is a vato. Who knew?

I attended a few Quinceaneras back in the day. Good luck with it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Ok, went ahead and registered. That took all of 2 minutes and most of that was putting my tiny pecker back in my pants and typing in my credit card number.

Ironically that day I’ll be in Austin for work lunch, but was planning on driving back that afternoon so I may still go. If I don’t end up needing the ticket or don’t feel like going I’ll DM someone my name etc. 

Hook’em

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, SydneyCarton said:

That link works, but you might want to consider:

1) Not sponsoring 1 of the 10 Immamac has already agreed to cover. Because 11 is more than 10. 
2.) You might want to register for the actual event in question, not just the general one fund link you have above, and then just no show the event or tell another surly person to show up and give your name. Or register in their actual name and pay the 1k. 

On #1, are the 10 full already, and/or is it still better to do #2 (lol)?

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

As far as I know almost on one has taken immamac up on his offer. 

yes. 

Cool; I just IMed Immamac, I’ll gladly shell out for a seat, just need to know if that’s the preferred route vs another one.  Im in the heart of cracker-ass Dawg land so I can’t make it no matter where it is….

probably the wrong place to ask but does anyone know the EIN for Texas One Fund? There is nothing on their website and not a real good place to ask. I'm trying to see if I can get them setup with my firm as a matching donation organization but I need that number.  Looks like they are a 501c(3) on the website, but cant find them on the IRS search either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

probably the wrong place to ask but does anyone know the EIN for Texas One Fund? There is nothing on their website and not a real good place to ask. I'm trying to see if I can get them setup with my firm as a matching donation organization but I need that number.  Looks like they are a 501c(3) on the website, but cant find them on the IRS search either. 

It's horns with heart. They changed the name to Texas one externally 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

It's probably not the wrong place to ask. 

Texas One Fund is a re-brand of the original Horns With Heart 501c3 filing. Someone still with One Fund would have to confirm, but I'd bet years off the back end of my life that it's still the HWH EIN #, etc. 

image.thumb.png.521ed6cecfa8fda2ad767be8951b7d0f.png

• Hook 'Em 3

yea that looks like what it is still. Also - while it is outside of my specialty - if you big swinging dicks with connections to this ever hear they need tax advice let me know. It's not my specialty but I probably have some exempt entity folks that are alumni that would likely advise on things pro bono just to help. 

• immamac unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Everyone from Surly who shows up should just coalesce around @RGBIII. He should be obvious to anyone here, as he looks like Tom Herman and there's a better than one chance in three he will be loudly inebriated by approximately 4:18. This will have the added utility to keeping him from stumbling around and potentially running into affluent boosters and calling them "penny pinching little bitches with small cocks," which is a refrain I've heard him repeatedly just shout out randomly, like a kid with Tourette's. 

Reminder to all, the event starts at 4, but doesn't get interesting till about 530. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everyone from Surly who shows up should just coalesce around @RGBIII. He should be obvious to anyone here, as he looks like Tom Herman and there's a better than one chance in three he will be loudly inebriated by approximately 4:18. This will have the added utility to keeping him from stumbling around and potentially running into affluent boosters and calling them "penny pinching little bitches with small cocks," which is a refrain I've heard him repeatedly just shout out randomly, like a kid with Tourette's. 

Reminder to all, the event starts at 4, but doesn't get interesting till about 530. 

lol you think I wont be inebriated before 4pm...? Do you even know me my friend? I will be drinking with Mike at the bar in Pinkertons starting at lunch before the event. Also while I look like Tom Herman, please make it of note that all the weight that he lost was sent directly to me, it's like some kind of caloric Dorian Gray situation. He loses weight and its transported directly to my ass and head

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

lol you think I wont be inebriated before 4pm...? Do you even know me my friend? I will be drinking with Mike at the bar in Pinkertons starting at lunch before the event. Also while I look like Tom Herman, please make it of note that all the weight that he lost was sent directly to me, it's like some kind of caloric Dorian Gray situation. He loses weight and its transported directly to my ass and head

Never once did I say, or even imply that you’d be sober upon your arrival. I simply highlighted some notable times for the rest of the gentry here. I’d say I know you pretty well buddy, hence the accuracy of my post. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Never once did I say, or even imply that you’d be sober upon your arrival. I simply highlighted some notable times for the rest of the gentry here. I’d say I know you pretty well buddy, hence the accuracy of my post. 

This feels like an awfully good time to repost RGB's Ginuwine karaoke from the Alabama game. Complete with defiling my camping chair. Can be a bit of a teaser trailer as to what to look forward to from public events with him.

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Haha 3