Post-Beard #3: Tech @ Texas, 7pm ESPN

Js1

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

I don't get the Texas offense here. Admittedly I didn't see a bunch of the Beard games earlier this year, but has the offensive style just completely changed. Is it shittier defense and fewer opportunities? 

Whatever it is, this ain't good basketball.

We're slower to adjust to pretty much anything on both ends now, the competition is generally better, and Hunter has fallen off a cliff and hit every rock on the way down. 

There also seem to be more boneheaded player decisions, and the team in general just seems like it's playing with less energy. Players can definitely have great nights, but we're relying on individual skill rather than more cohesive team play.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

At the end of the day Terry isn't going to come out there and play defense and execute on O for you. 

But legitimately, what is the offense they should be executing? I see pass up top, swing it around and shoot with 3 seconds left. It's Shaka-esque.

At one point all 5 horns were on one side of the floor. No spacing, no movement, no inside-out, no screens. Nothing. That's coaching.

And no timeouts to rip them if they aren't doing what they're coached to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

But legitimately, what is the offense they should be executing? I see pass up top, swing it around and shoot with 3 seconds left. It's Shaka-esque.

At one point all 5 horns were on one side of the floor. No spacing, no movement, no inside-out, no screens. Nothing. That's coaching.

Tyrese has left close to 10 points on the floor. Including the very first play of the game. 

Sure the scheme and direction isn't good but that doesn't excuse sloppy turnovers or not making an obvious basketball play. 

Like I said - these guys aren't 15. They know how to play basketball. Figure it the fuck out. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Like I said - these guys aren't 15. They know how to play basketball. Figure it the fuck out. 

And if they truly are incapable of figuring it out then fuck it - just call it a season. 

5 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Texas lost discipline play.  

We don't play with the same defensive intensity, fundamentals and attention to detail.  This tells me Terry doesn't hold players accountable on that end.  Rice needs to get much more playing time, Beard made sure he was one of our key offensive cogs.  The only thing holding this team together is experience.  It sure as shit ain't coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Carr is such a weird player, knocks down a three, falls down and turns it over, passes up a wide open rice for a drive and a hard fall away jumper. I mean I’ll take it but I’d like to see the extra pass there.

He's a volume scoring guard on a team that needs one. His decision making this season has honestly been pretty consistent and predictable. And good, for the most part. 

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

We need a point guard who can get to the fucking hole and score or dish. 

This is what Morris should be doing. To the point of actually forcing it. He's so inside his head right now and is just an observer on the offensive end of the court. He's the sort of talent that could put us over the top if he were ever to reach his potential this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is what Morris should be doing. To the point of actually forcing it. He's so inside his head right now and is just an observer on the offensive end of the court. He's the sort of talent that could put us over the top if he were ever to reach his potential this year. 

Agree with this.