Post-Beard #3: Tech @ Texas, 7pm ESPN

Js1

2 hours ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

They haven't seen some of the posts here.

Guilty. My emotional investment in Beard as the coach at Texas for the remainder of my life turned out not to be a healthy approach. I feel like I've had the fandom virtually strangled right out of me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Guilty. My emotional investment in Beard as the coach at Texas for the remainder of my life turned out not to be a healthy approach. I feel like I've had the fandom virtually strangled right out of me. 

I hear ya. 

I really do. 

But I'm young enough to be willing to throw all of that shit out of the window and reassess and get way too emotionally invested in both the current and future brand of Texas basketball. 

I mean at the end of the day you're either a fan or you aren't. 

Come be a fan regardless of what happens. Yeah it may suck but live your life with some integrity. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I hear ya. 

I really do. 

But I'm young enough to be willing to throw all of that shit out of the window and reassess and get way too emotionally invested in both the current and future brand of Texas basketball. 

Come be a fan regardless of what happens. Yeah it may suck but live your life with some integrity. 

I have no idea what that means. 

I'm waiting to see who the next coach is. I know who Terry is, and he ain't it. Maybe he gives everyone a magical season this year with a deep tourney run. Stranger things have happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Great comeback win tonight, Horns.

1.  Did something really happen to Phlegm in real life?  

2.  What is the actual deal with the SRO tickets for big games?  Asking for my priest.

1. Marcus Carr is that nigga.

2. Moody was fucking rocking tonight. Whatever the policy is let's keep it that way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm waiting to see who the next coach is. I know who Terry is, and he ain't it. Maybe he gives everyone a magical season this year with a deep tourney run. Stranger things have happened. 

What it means is buy in and let the chips fall where they may. Support this team and program and trust that the higher ups know what they're doing. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What it means is buy in and let the chips fall where they may. Support this team and program and trust that the higher ups know what they're doing. 

No. This team is not fun to watch for me, especially given their potential. They are winning, though, so that's good. But I preferred when there was a semblance of a plan and a vision. Hopefully next year. But I'm not going out of my way to bitch. That's the best I can do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But, you are. 

So - I don't know - quit bitching? 

Oh, fuck off. I made a cheeky reply to someone talking about people taking the Beard fuck up hard. Everything since then has been replies to you. If you don't want to hear my bitching, quit trying to lecture me on how to approach things. If you'd just ignored me, you wouldn't have had to listen to me say shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Oh, fuck off. I made a cheeky reply to someone talking about people taking the Beard fuck up hard. Everything since then has been replies to you. If you don't want to hear my bitching, quit trying to lecture me on how to approach things. If you'd just ignored me, you wouldn't have had to listen to me say shit. 

Or you could just quit being a pussy. 

I mean you literally said:

"This team is not fun to watch for me"

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

This is the most fun to watch team we have had in about 10 years in my opinion. I like literally all of the players.

They are all Jekyl and Hyde jobs though.   Every one of them does infuriating stuff for stretches of the game and then has stretches that are fun to watch.   Except maybe Brock.   He’s pretty steady.  One thing that bugs me about this team is we lose a lot of possessions by stopping and bringing the ball down low in the paint then getting surrounded.  Half the time it gets knocked out or we dribble it off a leg.  Be decisive.  Make a move or pass it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I hear ya. 

I really do. 

Ha. You telling people to live their life with integrity 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Agree that Terry should not be HC for next season.  Glad he has held team together well enough to beat tcu and tech at home.  Both were good comeback wins...  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Great comeback win tonight, Horns.

1.  Did something really happen to Phlegm in real life?  

2.  What is the actual deal with the SRO tickets for big games?  Asking for my priest.

#2 we were on campus heading to the game and we're trying to figure why hundreds upon hundreds of students decked out were heading the opposite way. They didn't get in.....  Turing down the student in droves is not how you build your basketball fan base, especially given that you have 5k empty brand new seats available. 

• Hook 'Em 1

#2 we were on campus heading to the game and we're trying to figure why hundreds upon hundreds of students decked out were heading the opposite way. They didn't get in.....  Turing down the student in droves is not how you build your basketball fan base, especially given that you have 5k empty brand new seats available. 

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

No. This team is not fun to watch for me, especially given their potential. They are winning, though, so that's good. But I preferred when there was a semblance of a plan and a vision. Hopefully next year. But I'm not going out of my way to bitch. That's the best I can do. 

Double digit comeback wins aren’t fun to watch for you?

May I suggest you start betting on the +200 moneyline at halftime like I did last night?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Monkey went pro in something other than Marketing.

Odd about students getting turned away. Surely someone is figuring out how to prevent this. At least lock in the number of students given tickets a day or two before a game so they don’t show up and can’t get in.

Here is a novel idea for students - show up to stand in line earlier if you want to go to the game.
  • Hook 'Em 4

45000 students. 10,000 seat venue- many of which are sold as season tix to the public. 

do you think all of the students that want into a Kansas or UNC or Duke game get a seat?

do you think it was discussed during design that it would be this way in order to create the atmosphere wanted for games?

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Odd about students getting turned away. Surely someone is figuring out how to prevent this. At least lock in the number of students given tickets a day or two before a game so they don’t show up and can’t get in.

Isn't it standing room only at the top for students?  I don't have the numbers but the student section is a very large percentage of the overall seats. I don't think they're being cheated on any way

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jesus @chemHORN I really appreciate the negs but holy fuck your post history is something else.

You realize that this dude is the only thing in between this team remaining relevant in the B12 and completely collapsing following Beard getting canned, right? He is putting up phenomenal numbers on the season and was great again tonight.

I mean holy fuck man I'll complain about players with the best of them but at least I do it when it's deserved. You have absolutely fucking no idea what you're talking about and apparently get really offended when someone tells you that. 

Yeah those were all in the last 2 games when he was hero balling it into 3 on one's and throwing the ball terribly at the backboard/turning it over.  I get what you are saying but we would be even better if he played with more control and would drive and dish a little more often.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jesus @chemHORN I really appreciate the negs but holy fuck your post history is something else.

You realize that this dude is the only thing in between this team remaining relevant in the B12 and completely collapsing following Beard getting canned, right? He is putting up phenomenal numbers on the season and was great again tonight.

I mean holy fuck man I'll complain about players with the best of them but at least I do it when it's deserved. You have absolutely fucking no idea what you're talking about and apparently get really offended when someone tells you that. 

Also over the past 2 games when I posted those comments he is shooting 35 percent from the floor and 25 percent from 3.  He also did hit some big shots in those games but I would contend if he threw a few more assists in, the need for him to hit big shots wouldn't be quite as great.  

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Completely understandable.

Hate what happened--total gutpunch--as it seemed Beard was laying the foundation for a dynasty ... but the players, Terry, and the rest of the program deserve our support. They are balling out and finding ways to win despite suffering a huge kick to the nuts.

Plus, those Jabari headfakes are the gift that keeps on giving!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There weren’t 5,000 empty brand new seats because the game was sold out. I’m not sure why you can’t comprehend this.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

The student section was sold out. That’s why they couldn’t get in. The number of student seats is already “locked in” so what you’ve typed makes no sense.

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

What?

Supply and and demand. How does it work?

This is exactly what we should all hope for and want to see at every game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

They are all Jekyl and Hyde jobs though.   Every one of them does infuriating stuff for stretches of the game and then has stretches that are fun to watch.   Except maybe Brock.   He’s pretty steady.  One thing that bugs me about this team is we lose a lot of possessions by stopping and bringing the ball down low in the paint then getting surrounded.  Half the time it gets knocked out or we dribble it off a leg.  Be decisive.  Make a move or pass it.  

brock does infuriating shit all the time.  just last night he bricked a wide open, point blank layup late in the game.  he redeemed himself by hitting the huge 3, but brock is an extremely infuriating player a lot of the time.

the guy you should have mentioned as the exception is SIR Jabari Rice.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, HookEm said:

This is the most fun to watch team we have had in about 10 years in my opinion. I like literally all of the players.

before Beard got canned this was the most fun Texas team to watch since December 2009. since then this team reminds me of a (maybe) better version of many of Barnes's later teams as well as Shaka's teams here- unreliable. the level of discipline that we played with (and obviously trained and practiced with) under Beard has all but disappeared. at this point i would favor last year's team to beat this year's team on a neutral floor, no doubt about it.

before beard blew this whole thing up it truly was a joy to watch this team just smother people on D and then run a really efficient offense that played with tempo. now we score 100 one game, we score 50 the next game, we get down by 15-20 points in the 1H to inferior opponents...it's just a totally different team, and while i love and support all of these players, the product on the court has been much more difficult to watch, and the knowledge that this team's ceiling and floor are now both much lower than they were a few weeks ago has just really sucked a lot of the joy out of watching this team for me.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

I like this team much better than last year’s team. Rice is more clutch than anyone on that team. Carr is playing better off the ball. Disu is better.  The freshmen are supremely athletic and fun to watch. The team is finding ways to win.

Those damn Shaka teams would have like 10 losses by <5 points. This team is winning those games.

Hunter is the difference in the team being good or being special. I think he will pull it together.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hunter on the court down the stretch means Carr or Rice is not.  Because they are going to put one of Brock, Bishop, or Disu on the floor for rebounding plus one of Allen or Mitchell as a scoring option.  Hunter has never been a good shooter and has always been turnover prone.  So I’m wondering what he brings that the others don’t when he “gets it going”.  He’s not a better defender than Rice.  He’s a better defender than Carr but not a better scorer.  What exactly are we waiting for him to do?  Drive to the basket and kick?  That’s a good skill to have on a team that can actually shoot threes.

Tyrese Hunter at his best might be the best player on this team. What's more, we need him handling the ball in critical situations so that Carr can play off the ball. watching Carr pounding the air out of the ball only to throw up wild shots throughout the last two minutes vs ttu was rough, even if he did hit the third of his three wild attempts. Hunter is a very good player who for one reason or another is in a funk. nothing more. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I see no value in the Chris Beard "what ifs?"

I mean maybe the team would be on point dominating winning by 25 every game if Chris Beard was still the coach. But I doubt it. More likely they'd be 7-1 or worse. He lost plenty of regular season games, as has been well noted on here before.

To me it's like after you break up with someone. Move on and drop the "what ifs?" No need to idealize the person who fucked you over and is no longer around.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Hunter on the court down the stretch means Carr or Rice is not.  Because they are going to put one of Brock, Bishop, or Disu on the floor for rebounding plus one of Allen or Mitchell as a scoring option.  Hunter has never been a good shooter and has always been turnover prone.  So I’m wondering what he brings that the others don’t when he “gets it going”.  He’s not a better defender than Rice.  He’s a better defender than Carr but not a better scorer.  What exactly are we waiting for him to do?  Drive to the basket and kick?  That’s a good skill to have on a team that can actually shoot threes.

They went small against Tech with Carr, Hunter and Rice. 

Terry actually did a really good job with rotations at the end of the game. Went really small on that Brock 3 with him at the 5. It spaced the court and led to a wide open 3. 

I'm not saying I want Terry to be the coach but I do think he has some decent basketball common sense. 

On that Brock 3 he saw that Aimaq was at the 5 and went to Brock to exploit it. He put Carr and Brock in PnR knowing that Aimaq didn't have the mobility to switch. Aimaq go caught hedging too hard which led to a wide open 3. 

Say what you will but not every coach would have exploited that.