Post-Beard #3: Tech @ Texas, 7pm ESPN

Js1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

No. The rotation is fine. you need bench scoring.

The rotation is fine if Rice is playing more than 24 minutes a game which is what he was averaging coming into this one.

He's our best or 2nd best player. 16 minutes on the bench isn't going to cut it against this type of competition. Maybe that's going to change after tonight and TCU. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah they made it one season before reverting back to their historical mean of being average as fuck. 

But 4 of the losses are sooooo close! 

though it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they win their next 6 now that they have the Canadian Muslim jokic back. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

This team has cajones 

Thats SIR Jabari Rice to you!

Go home and get your shine box, tech. 

Always been a Fran fan, but he’s starting to wear on me  

Someone slap Tyrese on the back of a milk carton

Good job @Js1 on the game thread. 

3-0 with my threads 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

The rotation is fine if Rice is playing more than 24 minutes a game which is what he was averaging coming into this one.

He's our best or 2nd best player. 16 minutes on the bench isn't going to cut it against this type of competition. Maybe that's going to change after tonight and TCU. 

He's clearly behind Allen and Carr.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No. He isn't. I love Rice but let's take a step back. He's asked to do a lot less than Carr and Allen who are clear-cut the 2 best players on this team. 

Go see who was guarding Texas Tech's best scorer in the 2nd half. 

It wasn't Carr. Carr and Hunter were getting cooked by Isaacs. Offensively for sure but in the 2nd half they're putting Rice on the best scorer. Go see who was guarding Miles in the 2nd half against TCU. It was Rice again. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Carr can be the best and worst player on the court in the same night.  

Carr is pretty plainly the best player on the team. Pretty sure you shit on Courtney Ramey most of last season - you seem to not understand how roles or positions on a basketball team work. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe but there isn't much separation at all between those 3. Rice is also a really good defender. 

Rice is a fantastic auxiliary player but he doesn't demand the attention that Carr and Allen do. He thrives off of catching the D off guard as a 2nd or 3rd option. 

Sure he's a good defender - so is Carr. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Carr is pretty plainly the best player on the team. Pretty sure you shit on Courtney Ramey most of last season - you seem to not understand how roles or positions on a basketball team work. 

Rice is a fantastic auxiliary player but he doesn't demand the attention that Carr and Allen do. He thrives off of catching the D off guard as a 2nd or 3rd option. 

Sure he's a good defender - so is Carr. 

Pretty sure you are grasping at straws.  Carr can be good, he can also be the worst player on the court at times.  You think dribbling into 4 dudes and throwing the ball at the backboard is a good play?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Go see who was guarding Texas Tech's best scorer in the 2nd half. 

It wasn't Carr. Carr and Hunter were getting cooked by Isaacs. Offensively for sure but in the 2nd half they're putting Rice on the best scorer. Go see who was guarding Miles in the 2nd half against TCU. It was Rice again. 

Yeah - that's great. But he isn't playing as many minutes or being asked to do what Carr is. I mean it's amazing that I'm defending this guy to this degree after shitting on him so much last season but he really has done a 180 and I'm not sure a lot of posters here understand how irreplaceable he has been this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think the best 3 players on the team are Rice, Carr, and Allen in some order. 

They all do different things but Rice getting 24 minutes a game has to change. That's really all that matters. 

I agree. And I repped you during the game for suggesting that Rice play more. 

Apologies if I'm being cunty or combative - I appreciate the reasoned discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't really agree but we're going down a rabbit hole. When you're putting Rice on the best offensive player and giving him the ball in the clutch that's not an "auxiliary player."

Either way, we are arguing over dumb shit since Allen, Rice, and Carr all do different things. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I agree. And I repped you during the game for suggesting that Rice play more. 

Apologies if I'm being cunty or combative - I appreciate the reasoned discussion. 

Yeah, that's fair. I think we are saying similar things just disagreeing on smaller points. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I meant on offense. 

Personally, I think more of the offense needs to run through Rice. 

He draws fouls and the pump fake gets other guys good shots.  I have no advanced stats to back this up but to me Rice looks like the most efficient offensive player on the team the way he gets to the FT line and the way he creates shots for others. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Rice is only our third-best player, we should win a whole bunch more games. 

The ceiling of this team comes down to Hunter. 

When Hunter is playing like he did at the beginning of the season this team can beat anyone. Right now we're beating good teams with Hunter playing like shit which tells you all you need to know about the ceiling of this team if they can get Hunter playing like the Big 12 FR of the year again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Personally, I think more of the offense needs to run through Rice. 

He draws fouls and the pump fake gets other guys good shots.  I have no advanced stats to back this up but to me Rice looks like the most efficient offensive player on the team the way he gets to the FT line and the way he creates shots for others. 

That just isn't how that works though. A lot of that opens up for Rice because the focus is on other players. Carr is putting up 17-18 a game on very good shooting splits - he is the defense's number one priority on the perimeter. Allen is the defense's number one priority whenever he catches the ball inside the arc. Rice is allowed to operate outside of that and do damage more efficiently because he is playing off of other experienced, dangerous players. 

They are all great players. But Rice is not a primary option and shouldn't be. That just isn't his arena. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Of course, Texas Tech brings Aimaq back for the 1st game of the season against Texas.

Schools always get pissed when Texas says "we are their super bowl" but it's true. You're telling me this guy wasn't ready to play a few minutes earlier in the week? Schools will continue to deny it but Texas is just a bigger game for them. 

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

First time at Moody. Much improved atmosphere over Erwin. Confused on the limited seating for students though had tons of kids SRO in the rafters because of limits down low and the 5k seats upper deck blocked off??

You don’t seem confused about the seating. That’s exactly how it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The ceiling of this team comes down to Hunter. 

When Hunter is playing like he did at the beginning of the season this team can beat anyone. Right now we're beating good teams with Hunter playing like shit which tells you all you need to know about the ceiling of this team if they can get Hunter playing like the Big 12 FR of the year again. 

Didn’t some $9.95er say that he was taking the whole Beard thing the hardest?

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Didn’t some $9.95er say that he was taking the whole Beard thing the hardest?

Not sure but I think he's likely fighting through injuries based on the postgame press conference after TCU.

Right now he's having a tough time even dribbling. It's really odd. It's one thing to miss shots but even the little things he's struggling with. The only logical explanation is some type of injury. 

Carr is frustrating because he wants to be “that” guy so he guns up too many shots and only makes like 30% of his 3’s so the majority of his deep balls look selfish and frequently come with poor timing or court awareness.

Carr is awesome because in all of Shakablah’s tenure, nobody wanted to be “the guy”, take the last shot, or take over a game. When he’s feeling it, Carr can do that.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

29 minutes for Rice tonight...

Screenshot_2023-01-14-22-42-36_kindlephoto-19855361.thumb.png.1336fed3f8cbb5079721ccd890f7a864.png

Screenshot_2023-01-14-22-45-46_kindlephoto-20054495.thumb.png.9e288c2086fed7086bf20c083e574d5d.png

5 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

Carr is frustrating because he wants to be “that” guy so he guns up too many shots and only makes like 30% of his 3’s so the majority of his deep balls look selfish and frequently come with poor timing or court awareness.

Carr had a tough night tonight from behind the arc but coming in he was shooting 42.4% from 3 on the season. Even tonight he was 4/13 which is 30.7% and .92 ppp. That isn't great but it's not terrible.

He has honestly played pretty unselfishly this season. There are times where he doesn't shoot that I would like him to. As far as I'm concerned he has the greenest of green lights right now when he has a good look from 3.

Overall he's crushing it and we need him to take the shots that he's taking. I understand if that's frustrating for some of y'all but it's 2023 and the game at every level is predicated on 3 point shooting. As long as he's hitting over 35% I'd chill out and enjoy the show. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Eddie Oran said after the game that Terry has to help Texas offensively by getting Hunter and Mitchell going.  He would like to see a play or two added that helps get Mitchell in a position to score around the basket...  

Texas needs Hunter scoring more points come NCAA tournament time to get to the 2nd weekend. 

52 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I was pretty impressed by Tech. We clearly have the more talented roster, but they uglied the game up and almost beat us.  They have also been very close in a lot of their other losses, including Kansas. I’m not sure Terry is better than Adams.

He's not. Terry is in a rough position and he's doing his best but the team just looks a lot more discombobulated and scattered than they did early in the season. They haven't come close to the defensive performance of that Gonzaga game and Hunter and Mitchell are completely MIA. 

Not to say Adams is all that good either. Tech has taken a major step back since he took over and they don't look to be getting any better talent. Both of them are solid small school HCs or good power conference assistants. Very few coaches can bring in the talent and build a consistent winner at this level.