Most congested cities in the US

closetohumping

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

The top 4 and #8 have great public transportation.

DC is great if you live close to a metro. But are they talking the entire metro area? 

Sucks ass if you have to drive. I always lived in Arlington so yeah, agree with you. Friends who lived further out hated their lives. 

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

DC is great if you live close to a metro. But are they talking the entire metro area? 

Sucks ass if you have to drive. I always lived in Arlington so yeah, agree with you. Friends who lived further out hated their lives. 

Never forget this classic (and we’re taking a cab!): 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

What kind of fucking top 10 has 15 cities listed?  Get the fuck out.

And yeah those are b horrific amounts of wasted time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Worst traffic I’ve ever seen was in St Petersburg, Russia. It made Jakarta look like Houston when compared to Philly. 

I always just laugh at it family and friends complaining about traffic in DFW or Houston. 

Caracas, Venezuela in 1995 I sat in traffic for 4 hours from airport to hotel.  Never seen that many “classic “ cars before.  Gas was something like 8 or 9 cents per gallon. 

Second worst was São Paulo, Highway to Rio (via Dutra).  

South America has epic traffic jams.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Yeah. But does your driver know kung fu?

Better he get some training before your RR gets jacked again. 

LOL, Jared carries. No need for kung fu.  He was inside with me when the RR was stolen - and those perps drowned while running away lol.  But yes, I'm good.  He's a proud south sider and is happy to blow someone away should the need arise.  Can say hi to him sitting in front of the Waldorf most mornings.  I think you're close, drop by.  

• Like 1

I was today years old when I learned there was an Arlington, IL and has only 170 people in a town sized a half mile square.  

And it was the site of a horrible mining fire in 1909 that killed 259 miners which led to modern day worker's comp.  A leveling tornado in the 1950's drove the rest of the population away.  The tiny town's only retail are two dive bars and it contains 3 cemeteries on that little tract of land.  

Caracas, Venezuela in 1995 I sat in traffic for 4 hours from airport to hotel.  Never seen that many “classic “ cars before.  Gas was something like 8 or 9 cents per gallon. 

Second worst was São Paulo, Highway to Rio (via Dutra).  

South America has epic traffic jams.

Not so fast my Carioca homie. Dutra fucking sucks, but I raise you the Marginal Tietê and Marginal Pinheiros. Absolutely horrible. Miles and miles of parking lot traffic with the added bonus of getting robbed by motoboys as they zip through traffic.
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not so fast my Carioca homie. Dutra fucking sucks, but I raise you the Marginal Tietê and Marginal Pinheiros. Absolutely horrible. Miles and miles of parking lot traffic with the added bonus of getting robbed by motoboys as they zip through traffic.

Were they in a sunga?  Bonus points for being robbed by a guy in a banana hammock and helmet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I was today years old when I learned there was an Arlington, IL and has only 170 people in a town sized a half mile square.  

And it was the site of a horrible mining fire in 1909 that killed 259 miners which led to modern day worker's comp.  A leveling tornado in the 1950's drove the rest of the population away.  The tiny town's only retail are two dive bars and it contains 3 cemeteries on that little tract of land.  

LOL, indeed, but the video much more fitting for Arlington Heights. 

I’m guessing outside of Manhattan right?  I could see that.   California is horrible.  LA to San Diego is a 90 mile traffic jam.  That’s the difference.  30 miles outside of Houston isn’t horrible

It was a breeze up north before Exxon built their Woodlands campus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dc is some kind of awful.  And that’s with great public transportation.  Like how?

DC’s traffic issues are 3 fold:

1. DC it self has very few freeways running through the city. That’s both a good and bad thing: the cities has very distinct urban neighborhoods, and that’s cool. But literally everything is side streets to get anywhere. The traffic circles designed my L’Enfant make it even worse. 

2. VA is really where the growth is and there aren’t nearly enough bridges across the Potomac.  5 total. PDX is half the size and has like a dozen. 

4. MD has a strong anti growth movement and its side of the DMV is in desperate need of more road and transit construction.  

Toss in the fact that 95 between DC and Fredericksburg is probably the worst stretch on that highway on the Eastern Seaboard. 

Just a hot mess all around.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm having a really difficult time believing traffic is worse in Dallas and Houston than it is in Austin.  Driving regularly in all three for decades I'm calling bullshit.  I'm in LA all the time, and lived in Chicago for a number of years.  Those two I can buy.    Haven't driven enough in the NE to have a worthwhile opinion, but my limited experiences driving in NYC and Boston still leave me thinking Austin is worse.  I suppose if it's based entirely on commuter data maybe it makes sense, but that doesn't really speak to the totality of shitty traffic.  Commuting sucks and anyone who does for any reason other than not having a choice is insane. When it takes for fucking ever just to go grab a bit to eat or run an errand in your general area, then you know you have truly shitty traffic.  Flawed list is flawed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm having a really difficult time believing traffic is worse in Dallas and Houston than it is in Austin.  Driving regularly in all three for decades I'm calling bullshit.  I'm in LA all the time, and lived in Chicago for a number of years.  Those two I can buy.    Haven't driven enough in the NE to have a worthwhile opinion, but my limited experiences driving in NYC and Boston still leave me thinking Austin is worse.  I suppose if it's based entirely on commuter data maybe it makes sense, but that doesn't really speak to the totality of shitty traffic.  Commuting sucks and anyone who does for any reason other than not having a choice is insane. When it takes for fucking ever just to go grab a bit to eat or run an errand in your general area, then you know you have truly shitty traffic.  Flawed list is flawed.

Not sure how exactly they qualify what is Dallas or what is Austin (like is Dallas just Dallas or all of DFW) but DFW is significantly more populated than Austin area (7.6M vs 2.5M) with a much larger geographical footprint 8700 square miles in the DFW MSA vs 4300 square miles in the Austin MSA.

If the calculation is congestion based on hours it makes sense that even though pockets of traffic may be worse in Austin (they are) people have further to go in DFW and so the shorter distance/shittier congestion is balanced out by longer distances/moderate congestion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

When I lived in Austin there were definitely moments where The standstill traffic was so bad I could’ve gotten out of the car, taken a piss and gotten back into the car without moving forward.  Bottleneck issues for sure  Even in LA, I haven’t experienced that  Austin traffic imo is the worst in Texas 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm having a really difficult time believing traffic is worse in Dallas and Houston than it is in Austin.  Driving regularly in all three for decades I'm calling bullshit.

I'm sorry but Austin is not even close to Houston... Houston the traffic isn't just on the main roads... it eeeevvvvverrrywheeerree because there's always some dumbass construction going on in the wrong place.  I swear, if you can avoid I-35 in Austin, you've made your situation drastically better.  Every time I go back to Houston, I get overwhelmed by the traffic.  It is absurd.