2023 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

Coverage begins tonight at 6 on ESPN. 

Men’s draw pdf

Rafa in the top, Novak bottom, Alcaraz out. 

Women’s draw pdf

Iga & the band of merry characters. Vika & Sofia the only two past winners playing, so of course they meet in R1. 

I will once again pick Aryna, simply because it has to hit eventually. 

On 1/15/2023 at 10:35 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Well, someone changed course on McEnroe, he’s calling this Rafa match on ESPN2. 

Patrick McEnroe & James Blake are probably calling Andy Murray’s match from the U.S. because Darren Cahill is courtside and he just explained that the forecast is for rain “here in Melbourne”.

He said it like it would be news to people who aren’t in Melbourne and he was telling Patrick & James. 

Maybe they are going to fly over for week 2 or who knows? I see John McEnroe saying:

”I’ll fly to Paris & London, but I’m not fucking going to Australia this year. I will call matches that I don’t have to stay up for in the first week, but I am deciding my schedule, not ESPN.”

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Patrick McEnroe & James Blake are probably calling Andy Murray’s match from the U.S. because Darren Cahill is courtside and he just explained that the forecast is for rain “here in Melbourne”.

He said it like it would be news to people who aren’t in Melbourne and he was telling Patrick & James. 

Maybe they are going to fly over for week 2 or who knows? I see John McEnroe saying:

”I’ll fly to Paris & London, but I’m not fucking going to Australia this year. I will call matches that I don’t have to stay up for in the first week, but I am deciding my schedule, not ESPN.”

I'm wondering if Chris Fowler's tennis commentary days are over

19 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I'm wondering if Chris Fowler's tennis commentary days are over

ESPN is going cheap on the Aussie Open. 

John McEnroe (and many others) used to skip the tournament completely back in the day (1970s & ‘80s).

It’s far and it’s expensive and the time zones really suck for the US market.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 11:42 PM, Napoleon said:

Also…

1) Nadal looks beatable. 

2) Tiafoe looks like a clown and he just lost when serving for the match.

94D58FB3-26F3-4150-B59F-1FEBEB594E72.thumb.jpeg.b36ba9a709786d0d3acf302e3c59e1bc.jpeg

Nadal won the Aussie Open with smoke & mirrors last year. His whole 2022 was unbelievable.

His 2023 is much more believable.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Bianca bounced. 

I just love when she loses. 

I started really getting back into tennis after the October 2019 Dallas tornado when I ended up in a house with The Tennis Channel, so I missed her stellar 2019 run. 

To me, Bianca is an F-able Romanian Canadian just a few pastries away from sliding down an carb & fat covered slope who complains and uses gamesmanship at every tournament.

Supposedly her top level is on par with Iga’s, according to The Tennis Podcast, but she is a deplorable on the court (and on the bench when receiving treatment right before her opponent serves) and off it (when she is abusing bathroom break policies).

Funny the guy stanning for fat Ons is on Bianca’s case.

She is a top talent but her injuries have really hurt her play style and I don’t see her being a threat any more.

Calling it now, not that it’s surprising.  Nadal retires after the French.  Djoker keeps winning for another two or three years barring a freak injury.  There’s no one close to his level outside of Medvedev and Alcaraz, and neither of them are complete enough yet to beat him even 1/3 off the time.

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Funny the guy stanning for fat Ons is on Bianca’s case.

She is a top talent but her injuries have really hurt her play style and I don’t see her being a threat any more.

Calling it now, not that it’s surprising.  Nadal retires after the French.  Djoker keeps winning for another two or three years barring a freak injury.  There’s no one close to his level outside of Medvedev and Alcaraz, and neither of them are complete enough yet to beat him even 1/3 off the time.

By all accounts, Ons Jabeur is an outstanding human being. She once went behind a high chair along the baseline, puked 🤮, and then went back to the baseline to keep playing.

Bianca would have had an ambulance out on the court to see whether she was going to live. 

Plus, Ons has worked her belly off and is now fairly fit for a big-boned woman coming from a country where women’s health and fitness has likely not been the #1 priority of the government, schools, society in general.

Re: Rafa & Novak

At first I was bummed that Andy Murray & Matteo Berrettini played each other in the first round, because I felt that they could both give Novak problems. 

But then when I realized that Berrettini could lose to Murray simply because Andy was consistently targeting Matteo’s backhand, I immediately realized that there was no way that Berrettini could have ever posed a legitimate threat to Novak.

Novak will end with the most Grand Slams of anyone, Male or Female, and it will annoy me. Only Medvedev’s 12 foot span of return radius poses a threat to Novak on all surfaces except Grass. 

Only an in form, healthy, and mentally focused Nick Kyrgios poses a threat to Novak on grass.