2023 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

Elena’s second serve may be fine against most pros, but it was too much of a meatball against Sabalenka.

She needed to go bigger on her second serves even if it meant more double faults, because that would have been better than starting a rally with Sabalenka playing defense immediately. 

She also dumped some neutral forehands into the net, but not too regularly and on most other nights, that probably wouldn’t have been noticeable, but Sabalenka was on last night, so Rybakina had to play her very best. 

That second serve was her Achilles Heel.

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Straight set victory for Novak and he’s now tied at 22 with Nadal.

Just amazing what those three guys did to the records.

Three best to ever pick up the racket. And we all got to watch them go at it in their prime. What a treat. 

Nice to see Novak persevere through all of the adversity he faced and come out on top. Never been a big Novak fan but gained a lot of respect for him bouncing back. I think it is inevitable that he will win the slam race at this point. 

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Three best to ever pick up the racket. And we all got to watch them go at it in their prime. What a treat. 

Nice to see Novak persevere through all of the adversity he faced and come out on top. Never been a big Novak fan but gained a lot of respect for him bouncing back. I think it is inevitable that he will win the slam race at this point. 

I never really rooted for one over the others. I enjoy the four majors and just watch to see the best, and they sure have been the best. Just think if one of them never played and what the numbers for the other two would be. I know, Federer came on the scene earlier but his numbers would no doubt be better as well.

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I never really rooted for one over the others. I enjoy the four majors and just watch to see the best, and they sure have been the best. Just think if one of them never played and what the numbers for the other two would be. I know, Federer came on the scene earlier but his numbers would no doubt be better as well.

Without Nadal, Federer's numbers would be insane. He wouldve won multiple calendar year grand slams. You can probably say the same for Djokovic. But the competition against each other pushed their levels to the highest levels we will probably ever see. Those 3 have won virtually every slam since 2004. Which is fucking bananas.