Alabama Basketball Player, Darius Miles charged with murder.

naija

I've read the same things everyone else had about Miller's car blocking the victim's car. But then I read the cousin of the victim, who returned fire from inside the jeep with his own gun, was able to drive away. It's not like the two statements are completely incongruent...but they're a little incongruent. 

23 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I've read the same things everyone else had about Miller's car blocking the victim's car. But then I read the cousin of the victim, who returned fire from inside the jeep with his own gun, was able to drive away. It's not like the two statements are completely incongruent...but they're a little incongruent. 

I'm guessing he got moving after a couple of bullets went into his windshield. 

3 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I'm guessing he got moving after a couple of bullets went into his windshield. 

That would be a motivational factor for me. 

What a surprise that must have been. 

"Holy shit! Gunfire! After I gave a gun to my teammate in a nightclub parking lot at 1am! Who could have anticipated such a result? Whelp. Gotta go. I have practice early in the morning."

12 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

At least the narrative in that message sent from Jim Standbridge makes sense. 

I don't know what should occur, but I've seen people speculating about Oate's job security, and I just don't see it. The administration isn't acting like he lied to them. They're acting like they're fully on board with how the situation is being handled. In the end Miller still brought the murder weapon to the scene, and while his attorney is claiming he never touched the gun, it's certainly clear he knew it was there and brought it so his teammate would have possession of it. Not sure what that makes him guilty of in the eyes of the law, but in the eyes of public perception it sure doesn't look good. 

I'll also say if you're a star basketball player who happens to have some thuggy friends, Alabama looks like a pretty good place to go and not be judged too harshly. This could end up being a recruiting boon. And while I think talking to Ray Lewis to ask for advice looks incriminating and scummy as fuck, that's not how everyone will see it.  

Moments later, Culpepper testified, Davis began firing through the driver’s side window of the Jeep. He fired at least eight shots, some of them while running in an arc from the driver’s side around the back of the vehicle. It was then, the detective said, that Miller’s Charger was struck by two bullets.

"self defense"

Air-quotes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

31 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Attorney wants us to ignore the fact that he requested the gun by text, and Miller showed up with said gun. 

Yes. I would agree that's a key point he would most definitely like us to "nothing to see here, folks."

I would also like to say that I've been summarily rejected by countless women - for good reason - and not once did I then think I should probably go ahead and shoot her. 

The lawyer statement is pretty strong. And the part about how he blocked the victim's car from being able to escape is bullshit. And he fled as soon as the shots started being fired. There is video evidence, including dash cam video from Miller's car, to corroborate this. And for me, that's the part that made me think he was guilty. So i'm actually thinking there really isn't anything to charge him with, as they lack evidence to convict him on anything.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Three thoughts:

1.  Assuming that Miller speaks the same slang as Miles, there's no way he didn't know - from the text-  he had the gun, and that Miles intended to use the gun, at least to intimidate.

2.  Regarding Miles, he had plenty of time to cool down.  This was straight up, premeditated, murder.  From a D1 athlete on scholarship.  Over a girl he just met.  Talk about a waste.

3.  Holy shit that a top 5 NBA pick was sitting in his car as two bullets flew through the front windshield!

spacer.png

Lawyer statement acknowledges that the firearm was legally owned by Miles, and that Miles texted Miller asking him to bring him the firearm. It also says that Miller did this with no knowledge of the altercation that had taken place between Miles and the other parties. It is feasible to argue in a courtroom that Miller was simply returning the firearm to it's rightful owner with no idea that it was to be used in a murder. There isn't enough evidence to prove it, even with the wording of that text message. It doesn't explicitly state any intended use for the firearm.

I don't know that i buy it, but legally speaking i just think he's in the clear.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lawyer statement acknowledges that the firearm was legally owned by Miles, and that Miles texted Miller asking him to bring him the firearm. It also says that Miller did this with no knowledge of the altercation that had taken place between Miles and the other parties. It is feasible to argue in a courtroom that Miller was simply returning the firearm to it's rightful owner with no idea that it was to be used in a murder. There isn't enough evidence to prove it, even with the wording of that text message. It doesn't explicitly state any intended use for the firearm.

I don't know that i buy it, but legally speaking i just think he's in the clear.

So if I texted you and said "I need my gun, a guy just used words in an aggressive manner with no intention or ability to back them up*", what do you think I'm going to do with the gun?  I'm clearly in a dispute and at a minimum I'm going to brandish the weapon.

*https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fakin

• Drool 1

18 hours ago, MoJames said:

Not trying to discount the gravity of the situation, but as someone who doesn't watch Alabama basketball, is this the scenario?

Gun is owned by Miles (already removed from the team).

Miller is the badass future NBA star who had Miles gun the night of the Murder.

Miles calls Miller and says I need my gun something is going down.

Miller brings him the gun.

Miles Friend, Michael Lynn Davis who isn't on the Alabama team, shoots girl.

Accurate?

Was Miller on scene when the girl was shot?

His car was on the scene, it got hit by 2 bullets, and his friend/teammate who was in his car got shot

Just in the wrong place at the wrong time!

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It also says that Miller did this with no knowledge of the altercation that had taken place between Miles and the other parties. It is feasible to argue in a courtroom that Miller was simply returning the firearm to it's rightful owner with no idea that it was to be used in a murder. There isn't enough evidence to prove it, even with the wording of that text message. It doesn't explicitly state any intended use for the firearm.

To hood translate it Miles said “I need my gun this asshole is being disrespectful”. So Miller delivers the gun instead of simply picking up his friend & teammate and driving him away. At the very least that idiot should be kicked off the team. Should be liable in civil court too, hopefully the girl’s family sued him. You know he’s got a lot of money already.

Also major lulz at the guy that just looked that up on urban dictionary and linked it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

So if I texted you and said "I need my gun, a guy just used words in an aggressive manner with no intention or ability to back them up*", what do you think I'm going to do with the gun?  I'm clearly in a dispute and at a minimum I'm going to brandish the weapon.

*https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fakin

Good luck proving that in a court of law. Do they allow urban dictionary entries to be used as evidence?

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

To hood translate it Miles said “I need my gun this asshole is being disrespectful”. So Miller delivers the gun instead of simply picking up his friend & teammate and driving him away. At the very least that idiot should be kicked off the team. Should be liable in civil court too, hopefully the girl’s family sued him. You know he’s got a lot of money already.

Also major lulz at the guy that just looked that up on urban dictionary and linked it.

There's video of what happened. I'm sure the video will come out.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Oh yeah Miller’s lawyer said so, therefore it’s 100% true. 

Also street lingo is regularly used as evidence in court. 

Miller's lawyer and, you know, the video evidence from Miller's dash cam.

No lets ignore that and listen to conjecture from random internet posters. I thought this was a site full of lawyers?

Edited by Pam Cummings

Alabama is my chalk pick to win the whole thing after reading all of this. Never mind how terrific they are on the court, that’s well and good. More importantly, it’s clear that Nate Oats and Brandon Miller are shitheads, and of course Miles is obviously terrible. There is no justice and the bad guys often get away with it. Bama seems to have the shittiest moral fiber in the field this year, you gotta like their odds. 

Also, is there anyone who needs a bigger break as fans these days than Bama fans? I’m so happy for those guys that Miller, delivering a fucking gun during a dispute between thugs at 1am in the morning in which someone wound up getting killed, has no culpability whatsoever in regard to any crime associated to the murder. Makes a ton of sense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Oh yeah Miller’s lawyer said so, therefore it’s 100% true. 

Also street lingo is regularly used as evidence in court. 

Fucking rap songs are used as evidence. 

Unfortunately Tuscaloosa's DA probably won't charge him because he's a ball player and those boys are having a nice season. 

I can't remember the last lottery pick with this big of a character red flag. 

My first thought on this was that if someone I knew was riding with me and left their gun in my vehicle and texted me to run it back by to them I probably would. The texts kind of blow that thought process up though, because that clearly is not a “hey, I left my gun in your backseat…” text. It’s a shit’s about to go down text. That makes him an accomplice in my opinion, since he hand delivered it back to him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

My first thought on this was that if someone I knew was riding with me and left their gun in my vehicle and texted me to run it back by to them I probably would. The texts kind of blow that thought process up though, because that clearly is not a “hey, I left my gun in your backseat…” text. It’s a shit’s about to go down text. That makes him an accomplice in my opinion, since he hand delivered it back to him.

Yep. People don’t frantically need their gun back at 1:30am bc they’re worried about it. They want to use it to do something bad. 

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I can't tell you how many times I've had to text a friend at 1:30 a.m. asking them to bring my gun back to me.

Yall act like the context was that he was at home sleeping and the dude randomly texted him asking to bring him a gun.

The context is that they were out together and went their separate ways with the intent to meet back up later. I agree, the text doesn't look good, but you're not gonna just convict a guy based on that. You need more. It would be a lot different if the firearm wasn't legal and registered. Why would a person assume that their friend is going to commit a murder with a legal firearm that is easily traced back to them?