Alabama Basketball Player, Darius Miles charged with murder.

naija

Apparently, Miller was already on his way to pick up Miles and was almost there when he texted him to bring his gun. The gun was already in his car. I don't want to say that this is a nothing burger because what the fuck are you doing driving around with your buddy's gun in the backseat of your car, but his culpability in all this seems pretty low. It doesn't seem like he drove there purposefully to deliver the murder weapon. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35713382/alabama-says-brandon-miller-play-south-carolina

"Darius had been asking Brandon to come pick him up for close to an hour," Byrne added. "Brandon was already on his way to pick Darius up when he received the text message for him that was reported yesterday."

Jim Standridge, one of the attorneys representing Miller, released a statement Wednesday reiterating some of those points in an attempt to "provide additional facts on Brandon's behalf in response to misstatements in reporting yesterday regarding Brandon."

According to Standridge, Miller was already on his way to pick up Miles when Miles texted him to bring him his gun on the night of the shooting. Standridge wrote that Miller never saw Miles' handgun and that it was "concealed under some clothing in the back seat" of Miller's car. He added that Miller never touched the gun or was involved in its exchange to Davis, the alleged shooter.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Apparently, Miller was already on his way to pick up Miles and was almost there when he texted him to bring his gun. The gun was already in his car. I don't want to say that this is a nothing burger because what the fuck are you doing driving around with your buddy's gun in the backseat of your car, but his culpability in all this seems pretty low. It doesn't seem like he drove there purposefully to deliver the murder weapon. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35713382/alabama-says-brandon-miller-play-south-carolina

Byrne said some of the "new information" that emerged affected the school's decision to allow Miller to play.

He said Alabama didn't know of Miles' text message asking Miller to bring the gun to the scene until police testified to it in the court hearing Tuesday. Alabama officials also learned that Miller had already been on his way to pick up Miles when the text arrived. Byrne added that Miles had wanted to be picked up for "close to an hour" before Miller made his way over and was "already almost there" when the text arrived.

---------------------------

My question would be this. Do they have call records and text messages to support that claim? Perhaps I have missed them saying that they do have them.

The text that Miles allegedly sent to Miller, according to the testimony, included a slang term for wanting his gun: "I need my joint."

"Darius had been asking Brandon to come pick him up for close to an hour," Byrne added. "Brandon was already on his way to pick Darius up when he received the text message for him that was reported yesterday."

Jim Standridge, one of the attorneys representing Miller, released a statement Wednesday reiterating some of those points in an attempt to "provide additional facts on Brandon's behalf in response to misstatements in reporting yesterday regarding Brandon."

Taking the lawyers' word at face value, this is a perfect example of why you have to let some assholes go. Your supposed friend left his gun in your car and didn't tell you. So now a future NBA lottery pick is riding around with a loaded gun. Cops pull him over, and anything could happen.

I've hung some shitty people in my life, but even they wouldn't leave something in my vehicle without my knowledge.
And then getting a text about a gun you didn't know you had should spur some type of follow up.

Miller should make the most of his 2nd chance because he most likely got away with some serious shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Taking the lawyers' word at face value, this is a perfect example of why you have to let some assholes go. Your supposed friend left his gun in your car and didn't tell you. So now a future NBA lottery pick is riding around with a loaded gun. Cops pull him over, and anything could happen.

I've hung some shitty people in my life, but even they wouldn't leave something in my vehicle without my knowledge.
And then getting a text about a gun you didn't know you had should spur some type of follow up.

Miller should make the most of his 2nd chance because he most likely got away with some serious shit.

Phil Hartman Yes GIF

Edited by PittsburghTiger

38 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Brothahorn at work:

spacer.png

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

It really is his Ray Lewis moment.

I don't know enough about the Ray Lewis case to speak as intelligently about it as others.  But if he didn't actually physically murder somebody, he was part of a group that did, and he did some pretty shitty things in that situation.  However, by all accounts he seems to have led a decent life since, kept himself out of trouble, been a positive leader among teammates and in the community, and of course had one hell of an NFL career.  Does that absolve him of whatever he did 2000?  No.  But he made the most of a second chance, and I'm sure it was after a lot of "God, please get me through this" type conversations.

Who knows if Miller has a sports career that is anywhere in the realm of Ray Lewis's.  But if the evidence uncovered is not enough to charge or convict him of a crime, then wherever life takes him he'd be wise to earn his second chance like Ray Lewis did.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Overly entitled youths that get away with some serious shit without any repercussions usually require more chances down the road. We'll see how this one plays out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I've read the same things everyone else had about Miller's car blocking the victim's car. But then I read the cousin of the victim, who returned fire from inside the jeep with his own gun, was able to drive away. It's not like the two statements are completely incongruent...but they're a little incongruent. 

I'm guessing that when the driver of the Jeep started to return fire and two shots hit Miller's windshield, he got the fuck out of the way.

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't know enough about the Ray Lewis case to speak as intelligently about it as others.  But if he didn't actually physically murder somebody, he was part of a group that did, and he did some pretty shitty things in that situation.  However, by all accounts he seems to have led a decent life since, kept himself out of trouble, been a positive leader among teammates and in the community, and of course had one hell of an NFL career.  Does that absolve him of whatever he did 2000?  No.  But he made the most of a second chance, and I'm sure it was after a lot of "God, please get me through this" type conversations.

Who knows if Miller has a sports career that is anywhere in the realm of Ray Lewis's.  But if the evidence uncovered is not enough to charge or convict him of a crime, then wherever life takes him he'd be wise to earn his second chance like Ray Lewis did.

Now it makes more sense why they called Ray in for advice.

Edited by Brothahorn

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

One thing about the Ray Lewis case that I don't believe is going to play out here, is that the murder trial ended in an acquittal.  I also didn't follow closely, but wasn't sure if that was a big factor in his redemption.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

One thing about the Ray Lewis case that I don't believe is going to play out here, is that the murder trial ended in an acquittal.  I also didn't follow closely, but wasn't sure if that was a big factor in his redemption.

True.  But still, to borrow from Brothahorn, even though Ray was acquitted, I think he still got away with some serious shit.

• Like 1

It’s amazing sometimes the enormous impact of simple decisions in life. If Miller would have gone back earlier to get him when Miles texted, if Miles would have said fuck it and texted someone else for a ride when Miller wouldn’t come back, if Miller would have put the gun up and said you can get it later, etc, it all plays out so much differently.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Don’t let Ray Lewis fool you, he is and always has been a giant piece of shit and horrific human being. He was very publicly Ray Rice’s closest mentor on the Ravens, and look how his protégé turned out.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Byrne said some of the "new information" that emerged affected the school's decision to allow Miller to play.

He said Alabama didn't know of Miles' text message asking Miller to bring the gun to the scene until police testified to it in the court hearing Tuesday. Alabama officials also learned that Miller had already been on his way to pick up Miles when the text arrived. Byrne added that Miles had wanted to be picked up for "close to an hour" before Miller made his way over and was "already almost there" when the text arrived.

My question would be this. Do they have call records and text messages to support that claim? Perhaps I have missed them saying that they do have them.

The text that Miles allegedly sent to Miller, according to the testimony, included a slang term for wanting his gun: "I need my joint."

So did this earlier reported text not happen?

Miles- "The heat is in the hat," and "There's one in the head," referring to the gun being present and loaded.

11 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

So if I texted you and said "I need my gun, a guy just used words in an aggressive manner with no intention or ability to back them up*", what do you think I'm going to do with the gun?  I'm clearly in a dispute and at a minimum I'm going to brandish the weapon.

*https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fakin

This is perhaps the whitest post ever made on this board

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Miles- "The heat is in the hat," and "There's one in the head," referring to the gun being present and loaded.

That’s a very good question.  That’s also why I take anything a lawyer says with a salt lick, rather than just a grain.

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That was never reported as a text.

Miles texted Miller to bring his gun.

Miller came to scene.  Davis took gun from Miller's car.

Miles told Davis verbally "the heat is in the hat/there's one in the head."

Davis shot the victims car.

Miles and Davis charged with murder.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Two CBB guys on were discussing and comparing on ESPNU a few days ago. Maybe they were talking about impact player, no idea.  

I mean - there are some similarities in that they're both long and athletic but they don't play the same position. Penny was like a slashing combo guard with great handles. Miller is like a 3 and D guy with some offensive upside. 

• Like 1

I am sure that the family and friends of  Jamea Harris thought the pat-down pregame shit was awesome. 

I get how talented he is. He’s also a dumbass. And possibly worse. It’s tough to have sympathy for the player after the pat-down bs.  you’d think he at least understand the gravity of the situation and have some levity. I get it. He’s young and blah blah blah…I kinda hope his professional career goes up in flames but sincerely doubt that it will. 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Really rooting for karma to do its thing on this one. I understand that is his standard introduction “routine”, but it seems deliberate and mocking in nature.   Fuck that guy. 

Oats when asked about the pregame routine was like

mr narrins GIF
Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...