Is there a better action movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark?

dcbc

• 3 weeks later...

Since the weather turned stormy here, I decided to start an Indiana Jones marathon on Disney Plus ahead of the release of Dial of Destiny this week.   

As I start “Raiders”, I get the content warning that this movie is rated PG for “tobacco depictions.”   Not bodies impaled on boobytrap spears.  Not guys getting chopped up by airplane propellers.  Not faces melting and heads exploding.   Tobacco depictions.

• Haha 6

41 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Since the weather turned stormy here, I decided to start an Indiana Jones marathon on Disney Plus ahead of the release of Dial of Destiny this week.   

As I start “Raiders”, I get the content warning that this movie is rated PG for “tobacco depictions.”   Not bodies impaled on boobytrap spears.  Not guys getting chopped up by airplane propellers.  Not faces melting and heads exploding.   Tobacco depictions.

Welcome to Disney + dude. 

8 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I don't know man, PBS used to put out  notices that "some content might be offensive" warnings right before some shows....like Barney.

22 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I don't know man, PBS used to put out  notices that "some content might be offensive" warnings right before some shows....like Barney.

Barney didn't offend you?

F sakes.  I had to take my, then, 4 year-old daughter to see Barney live at the zoo.  I'm still scarred.

I agree that Indiana jones is more adventure than action. Also alien is sci-fi horror more than action. Both great franchises. Die hard is iconic. T2 might be the pinnacle of action movies because it hit with so much hype and surpassed it. As mentioned earlier it has so many scenes that are memorable and groundbreaking its way up there. Fury road is one of the few movies that got my heart racing with that opening chase, it’s perfect. Matrix training scene might be the best introduction of next generation CGI ever but so many movies including the sequels took it too far. Crouching tiger holds up better with the cable acrobatics versus cgi.

What I can’t get on board with is the predator slander. That movie is awesome. It starts out like other Vietnam/ Korean War film but has an elite group of badasses instead of draftees. They go into the jungle and quickly find out this isn’t normal and all the badasses get taken out as the movie goes on. Then Arnold goes Arnold. Fuck outa here it’s generic in anyway. 

TRUE LIES is the best Arnold movie imo though.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 8:38 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

No, Chuck Lorre was wrong.

Indy was chosen to relocate the Ark to another burial location. Ironically, having it lost in a wharehouse is probably a better way to keep it safe than in a desert. 

It was a nazi base on an island, not some desert. Nazi reinforcement troops would have found the Ark and shipped it to Berlin. 

On 6/16/2018 at 11:00 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

You dont buy into the theory that Indiana Jones had zero impact on the events and outcome of Raiders?

It's a stupid theory that was on the internet years before that shitty big bang show. It was also debunked, which the writers of that shitty show ignored.

• The nazis were digging in the wrong place with zero success and Hitler was demanding results. There was no guarantee their dig was going to be funded indefinitely until they found the Ark.
  • My favorite stupid part is "but the nazis would have taken the medallion from Marion and found the correct location", conveniently forgetting that the Nazis were tailing Indy...WHO LED THEM DIRECTLY TO MARION....who the nazis were never, ever gonna find in a Himalayan dive bar.
  • All the meddling Indy did caused Beloq to open the Ark early on the island, causing the Ark to end up in a US warehouse. If the nazis had found the Ark and Indy wasn't around to steal it, it was headed straight for Berlin, where Hitler and the nazi high command were gonna open it, melt half of Berlin and no more WW2. So thanks a lot Indy, you meddling dipshit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

It was a nazi base on an island, not some desert. Nazi reinforcement troops would have found the Ark and shipped it to Berlin. 

Wrong. It was in Tanis, in the desert. Indy was chosen to relocate the Ark since the city had been discovered. Post-war, Tanis would still be a site that either the Axis or Allies would research and ultimately discover the Ark. It had to be relocated. Having it lost in the bureaucracy of a FDR/New Deal big government warehouse was deemed a better option than burying it the sand again. Not to go full Cloak Room. 

The Mediterranean Nazi island sub base is inconsequential. That's just a stop on the way to the new final resting place. It was never staying there because Indy was still with it. That's why Indy is integral to the movie. 

39 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Wrong. It was in Tanis, in the desert. Indy was chosen to relocate the Ark since the city had been discovered. Post-war, Tanis would still be a site that either the Axis or Allies would research and ultimately discover the Ark. It had to be relocated. Having it lost in the bureaucracy of a FDR/New Deal big government warehouse was deemed a better option than burying it the sand again. 

We are clearly talking about two different locations. but whatever.

In any case, the idea that God chose Indy to help move the Ark to a safer location in a big man-made warehouse is fucktarded. One warehouse fire later and the Ark is gonna be sitting all shiny among the wreckage for anyone to find.

The Ark sat in Tanis for 2,000+ years without anyone getting close to finding it. The nazi dig wasn't the first or 100th effort to locate it.

26 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

We are clearly talking about two different locations. but whatever.

In any case, the idea that God chose Indy to help move the Ark to a safer location in a big man-made warehouse is fucktarded. One warehouse fire later and the Ark is gonna be sitting all shiny among the wreckage for anyone to find.

The Ark sat in Tanis for 2,000+ years without anyone getting close to finding it. The nazi dig wasn't the first or 100th effort to locate it.

Yeah, it sat for 2,000+ years without being found, but the Nazis did find the city. 

And no shit we're talking about two different locations. The fucking island is inconsequential. It's the fact that a desert city purposely destroyed in an act of God, and eventually discovered by Man, that's at issue. The Ark had to be relocated. 

The irony of the last camera shot of the film is that an instrument of God, thought to be forever hidden by an act of God, is now forever hidden by man's folly. 

The only fucktard thing here is the hypothetical about a warehouse fire. Clearly, the ending was lost upon you. 

Edited by DeepEastTexas

4 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

The only fucktard thing here is the hypothetical about a warehouse fire. Clearly, the ending was lost upon you. 

Look dipshit, you're the one here arguing that the Ark was safer in a warehouse full of flammable boxes than buried in the middle of the desert....where God can keep re-burying it via sandstorm anytime he feels like it.

Your "Divine Safe Warehouse Relocation" narrative is ridiculous, but whatever gets you through the night...

6 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Look dipshit, you're the one here arguing that the Ark was safer in a warehouse full of flammable boxes than buried in the middle of the desert....where God can keep re-burying it via sandstorm anytime he feels like it.

Your "Divine Safe Warehouse Relocation" narrative is ridiculous, but whatever gets you through the night...

Look you stupid waterhead fuck, you're the one who can't understand the fucking movie. 

Why didn't God just have a sandstorm come and wipe out the Nazis and re-bury the Ark? I guess he didn't "feel like it". Given your narrative that's what should have happened. Fucking moron. 

Your stupid fucking hypotheticals are just as stupid as the dumbshit question that started in this thread. The warehouse is flammable! Oh, I'm glad the Ark didn't travel by boat, it might have sunk in the Med only to be discovered by fucking Cousteau. 
Get the fuck outta here. Focus on what did happen in the movie. That's what this is about. 

You have to remember the time in which the movie was written and filmed. The late '70s into the start of the '80s. Released in '81. 
The U.S. had just experienced Watergate, the end of an unpopular war in Vietnam, the fall of Saigon, the energy crisis with gas lines, the Iran Hostage situation, Carter's  "crisis of confidence" speech, and stagflation. People's belief and faith in the government was at an all time low. That's why the ending shot of a U.S. warehouse was such a twist. You go from God burying the Ark in a wrathful sandstorm that lasted an entire year, to burying it in a government warehouse.  The audience can chuckle at the accepted ineptitude of bureaucracy and of our own government. 

Also, none of your three bulleted points in your earlier post make any goddamn sense. None of them debunk the question at hand. In fact, your post only reinforces the internet theory that Indy wasn't needed. 

Why don't you go watch a selection from the Fast and Furious franchise. It seems more like your speed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Raiders of Lost Ark was pretty good. Temple of Doom was subpar IMO, watching Last Crusade now which I’m liking the best of the OT.
I didn’t watch these movies when they originally came out.

Raiders is a better film, a landmark in motion picture history, lapping existing action flicks, winning four Oscars. More menacing and thrilling.

Last Crusade the more enjoyable movie. Great prequel sequence with River Phoenix, dropped Sean Connery in there, really snappy and funny dialogue.

But lets stop all this best of the OT talk. There’s an amazing movie, then a bunch of sequels, one of which was very good.
  • Hook 'Em 2