Nepal plane inverts in less than 5 seconds while landing and crashes, 68 confirmed deaths

AUS-97HORN

the video linked in the post shows the plane  level, and less than 5 seconds later, completely inverted and crashing.

the article indicates that whoever filmed thought something was wrong because it was moving erraticly and then nosedived.  yikes

most likely 72 perished. since they dont expect survivors and 72 were on the plane. 

14 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

That looks intentional or like someone fell asleep at the joystick.

The European Union has banned Nepalese airlines from its airspace over concerns about training and maintenance standards.

Theres a video on twitter of someone livestreaming the flight onboard on Facebook. Got shaky towards the end and you couldn’tsee much. 

i flew yeti to lukla airport some years ago. Landing approach was wild cause you could see some crashed planes (?) abandoned on the side of the runway. too difficult to remove probably

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

the video linked in the post shows the plane  level, and less than 5 seconds later, completely inverted and crashing.

the article indicates that whoever filmed thought something was wrong because it was moving erraticly and then nosedived.  yikes

most likely 72 perished. since they dont expect survivors and 72 were on the plane. 

If true, that might have been the worst cinematographer ever. My special needs patients could film better than that.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The video shows the post crash fire pretty clearly.  Hopefully everyone was expired by then.

Vid not that graphic, but still tragic

unfortunately, we know from prior crashes that one from this latitude doesnt kill everyone on impact alone. 

Edited by 52-80
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Looks like a left wing stall. Gotta maintain airspeed. 

Looks like a textbook vmc roll. Left engine loses power, left wing drops, right engine rolls the right wing over and plows the plane into the ground. Avoidable but only if the pilot reacts instantly and correctly. 

2 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Looks like a textbook vmc roll. Left engine loses power, left wing drops, right engine rolls the right wing over and plows the plane into the ground. Avoidable but only if the pilot reacts instantly and correctly. 

This. Lost the left engine and got too slow. Vmc’d it in. All that thrust on the right side has to be offset with rudder. Get too slow and you lose rudder authority, the good engine kills you. 

unfortunately, we know from prior crashes that one from this latitude doesnt kill everyone on impact alone. 

I saw this video last night..does the guy sitting in front suddenly switch hair dos or something? Because it’s 2 different people each time he faces the camera in front of him
fc8e03ad596f6b214837fb2c4547d73b.jpg
ec5ea2500e45c890640fb6f9c611e714.jpg

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I saw this video last night..does the guy sitting in front suddenly switch hair dos or something? Because it’s 2 different people each time he faces the camera in front of him
fc8e03ad596f6b214837fb2c4547d73b.jpg
ec5ea2500e45c890640fb6f9c611e714.jpg

you are comparing a pic of the guy looking straight ahead with a pic of the guy looking to the left out the window.

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Shit.  

so when cell phones were brand new I took the “turn off your mobile devices” very seriously when flying.  Guess my fears were justified. 

On 1/16/2023 at 6:54 AM, 52-80 said:

That's like watching a Texas football game. Everyone all smiles until the second half starts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

If cell phones had any impact on airplanes you’d think they’d leave it up to people to turn them off ? No they would take them and lock them all away .

Yes. That was the joke. Although 5G transmitters apparently cause some altimeter interference. Something airplane mode would not prevent. 

• 5 weeks later...

Don’t know if this works as an attachment from my phone but the prelim is out. Seems like things went a little south during the landing sequence. I don’t have any ATR time but it seems like feathering the props when they called for flaps 30 is a bad thing. 

343.pdf

Edited by HiggyBaby

9 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Don’t know if this works as an attachment from my phone but the prelim is out. Seems like things went a little south during the landing sequence. I don’t have any ATR time but it seems like feathering the props when they called for flaps 30 is a bad thing. 

343.pdf 602.13 kB · 15 downloads

Done by the PM (Pilot Monitoring).   He or she literally pushed the wrong “button”.