What's your stance on curbside parking?

ztejas

Let me know if I'm the asshole here. I probably am.

Say I'm running into a store for one or two things and plan to be in and out in less than 10 minutes (if that). There are 5-6 designated curbside parking spots that are open and located conveniently. 

Why should I not just take one of those spots? First - how many people even use curbside? I'm not talking about busy restaraunts or grocery stores where it's more common. I think two good examples are target - that has a TON of convenient parking designated as "curbside" - or big box stores like Academy where I don't see anyone using the service.

Are we - as a society - supposed to just not use those spaces? And leave 6-12 or whatever it is spots open the entire time for 5 people per day?

I would never park in a HC spot because it's both inconsiderate and illegal - and I would never take a curbside spot if like 3 or 4 of the 6 are accounted for (or if they only have 2-3 spots designated) - but if no one is using them do I really need to waste my time finding a spot further away? 

It seems like a silly artifact of peak covid that has outlived its usefulness. 

Use them all the time.  Last week I made a couple of runs to Lowe's for 1-2 items each time.  There are 8 open spaces at 730 at night...why would I not park there?  It isn't inconveniencing anyone.

When I pull in to the strip mall at lunchtime to grab my sandwich and GTFO, I don't avoid the neighboring business spaces with signs saying they are reserved for their customers either.  Your CBD/T-Mobile/Battery+ customers can walk an extra 20yds, just like if you already had a customer parking there in the 5-10min I'm occupying that space.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

YTA

So should I instead order the item curbside, pull up, text them, and in the process waste multiple people's time?

I have also had the experience multiple times using curbside where I've either had to text them again or call or go inside anyway because the employees wind up ignoring it or forgetting that someone is there. 

I don't really care if I'm the asshole or not - more pointing out that it's dumb and wastes a lot of the closest parking spots 98% of the day. 

Just now, Mittens said:

Use them all the time.  Last week I made a couple of runs to Lowe's for 1-2 items each time.  There are 8 open spaces at 730 at night...why would I not park there?  It isn't inconveniencing anyone.

When I pull in to the strip mall at lunchtime to grab my sandwich and GTFO, I don't avoid the neighboring business spaces with signs saying they are reserved for their customers either.  Your CBD/T-Mobile/Battery+ customers can walk an extra 20yds, just like if you already had a customer parking there in the 5-10min I'm occupying that space.

Thank you.

I don't park there, but don't care if someone else does. 

To me, the best parking spot isn't the closest. It's the one with shade, or if it's not hot, it's the one that's easy to pull into. I prefer parking where there is a space open on at least one side of me just to give a little more room.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

They need to go away for most stores.  Whatever convenience they offer the customer isn't enough to offset resources required to make the run smoothly.  As far as parking in reserved store spots at strip malls and such, hell yeah you're an asshole, but you already knew that.

I think that by now, if it wasn’t good business for a store they’d have mothballed it.  My HEB has way too many spots for most days- but they’ve started charging for time slots and it’s a good way for them to get rid of near expiry perishables as I can tell their pickers are told to pick closest to sell by dates, from experience. 

for the OP- I use curbside pick up all the time. Never had an issue with having to wait for a space. Sometimes I see empty cars in spots but if there’s excess spots then what’s the harm, right?

but at the same time if there’s plenty of regular parking but a little further away, what’s the harm in walking a little further?  

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

As far as parking in reserved store spots at strip malls and such, hell yeah you're an asshole, but you already knew that.

I try not to do that unless it really is the only reasonable option. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think that by now, if it wasn’t good business for a store they’d have mothballed it.  My HEB has way too many spots for most days- but they’ve started charging for time slots and it’s a good way for them to get rid of near expiry perishables as I can tell their pickers are told to pick closest to sell by dates, from experience. 

I think it makes much more sense for grocery stores because it saves a lot of time for shoppers. For some of these places it doesn't make any sense to have as many spots as they do. Who the fuck is ordering curbside at Academy? Definitely not 6 people at a time. 

In terms of being "lazy" isn't getting curbside kind of lazy? 

Parked in the Twin Liquors curbside delivery spot today for all of 7 minutes.  Hope I didn't inconvenience any of you degenerates who are too lazy to walk into the store for your pint of vodka.

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Why even bother parking in a space? It sounds like OP's time is so valuable he should just pull up in front of the door and leave his hazard lights on while he runs in. Fuck everyone else.

One of the spots I grab lunch from, this is really the only option.  It's the same cars there every time I go, so I just park behind the 2 closest and run in.  Don't even bother w/ the hazards anymore - it's literally under a minute to pick up a to go order.  In the 3 years I've been going there, I've never once come back out to anyone waiting for me to move my car.

55 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We live in a society with rules.  Follow them.  It works best for all.

Rules made by corporations for the convenience of a fraction of their clients.  Breaking a rule that don't affect anyone 99% of the time doesn't upset the balance of society.

7 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Parked in the Twin Liquors curbside delivery spot today for all of 7 minutes.  Hope I didn't inconvenience any of you degenerates who are too lazy to walk into the store for your pint of vodka.

One of the spots I grab lunch from, this is really the only option.  It's the same cars there every time I go, so I just park behind the 2 closest and run in.  Don't even bother w/ the hazards anymore - it's literally under a minute to pick up a to go order.  In the 3 years I've been going there, I've never once come back out to anyone waiting for me to move my car.

Rules made by corporations for the convenience of a fraction of their clients.  Breaking a rule that don't affect anyone 99% of the time doesn't upset the balance of society.

Wait, you were too lazy to park and walk and you are patronizing people that would use the spot reserved for the paying customers of a business? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Why even bother parking in a space? It sounds like OP's time is so valuable he should just pull up in front of the door and leave his hazard lights on while he runs in. Fuck everyone else.

That takes too long

FF2FF042-FECD-4253-BF4F-8D98E6507310.webp.faa32ddf0d98eb41790bce0196ab6b22.webp

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hate said:

Wait, you were too lazy to park and walk and you are patronizing people that would use the spot reserved for the paying customers of a business? 

It's simply the designated spot for a curbside delivery.  It should sit empty for 23hrs a day?  If I was patronizing that store, would I be wrong to use one of those spots and walk in?  FWIW, the other spot for pickup was open and I'd guess that half the time I go to that location, there's a big ass delivery truck taking up at least 2 spaces to drop off that round of booze.  They aren't some sacred cow of parking, like a HC spot.

And yes.  It was easier for me to park in that spot and walk the 8 or so spots to the door I went into, than to drive past all of those and flip a u into the next lane to find a parking spot even farther away. 

23 minutes ago, Mittens said:

It's simply the designated spot for a curbside delivery.  It should sit empty for 23hrs a day?  If I was patronizing that store, would I be wrong to use one of those spots and walk in?  FWIW, the other spot for pickup was open and I'd guess that half the time I go to that location, there's a big ass delivery truck taking up at least 2 spaces to drop off that round of booze.  They aren't some sacred cow of parking, like a HC spot.

And yes.  It was easier for me to park in that spot and walk the 8 or so spots to the door I went into, than to drive past all of those and flip a u into the next lane to find a parking spot even farther away. 

Fuck you, walk, says guy refusing to walk. Never change shaggy lol.

Also it’s curbside pickup, you’d know that if you read the signs.

• Hook 'Em 1

I park in the same row at my local HEB every time and have for since it opened nearly 20 years ago - I never walk around like a dumbass honking the horn with the fob and looking for my car in the wrong row.  Six months ago, without written notice, they turned about 8 of the "Customer with Child" parking signs around from the adjacent row to mine.  I have been known to park in these spots.  I have children, so I'm technically not breaking any made up rules.

• Haha 1

I don't understand how doing this is "lazy" or "soft". Sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't see a reason to waste my own time when it's inconsequential to anyone else. This isn't any different to me than picking the shortest checkout line or taking the fastest route to your destination. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't park there, but don't care if someone else does. 

To me, the best parking spot isn't the closest. It's the one with shade, or if it's not hot, it's the one that's easy to pull into. I prefer parking where there is a space open on at least one side of me just to give a little more room.

Agree with your line of thinking here.

I can walk.  I walk a shit-ton with work and in casual, personal activities.  I park as far out as I feel reasonably comfortable nobody has to crowd my vehicle or otherwise fuck with it. I just figure someone else can probably use the closer spots, either with kids or the elderly.

I will add to OP's point that it seems like the number of curbside spots seems excessive sometimes.  I cannot even tell you when their peak times are, and I'm in the business.  However, if a merchant feels that's what is best serving all of their customers, then roll with it baby.

I have noticed that most, not all but most, stores have reduced the pickup spots and/or slide them down away from the front doors.  I think that's a fair compromise.  Older folks who got used to curbside or people with small kids, they can still do it.  Rest of us can either grab a close-in spot or hoof it from o'er yonder like men.  

What's the Surly verdict though on those "This space reserved for customers of XYZ Company" at a retail center?  There's a coffee shop down my street that I frequently meet folks at for early morning meetings.  Most of the businesses in their strip center aren't open yet, but 3/4 of the spots are labeled for their exclusive use despite none of them opening up until 10am or later.  And I've been asked to move on more than one occasion at 7;30am for no fucking reason.  I'm not paying valet to park for a fucking coffee and muffin.  

Anyway, as long as it's not handicapped...who really gives a shit...we figure it out as we go like most things in civilization.  The only other two I adhere to are the clearly reserved spots at high-end office buildings where they got a security guy just itching to fuck with somebody because he gets treated like shit by lawyers and patients all day.  the other is from May-October, if it says, "Reserved for Expectant Mothers"...don't park there.  I've seen my wife pregnant in the heat before, they deserve every courtesy we can afford them.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Let me know if I'm the asshole here. I probably am.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't really care if I'm the asshole or not - more pointing out that it's dumb and wastes a lot of the closest parking spots 98% of the day. 

Even if you aren’t for your parking, you are for inviting people to tell you if they think you are in the very first sentence of the op and then arguing that you don’t care and/or defending yourself against that charge in multiple posts.

But you are for the parking, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Would you be pissed if someone was in the 10 items or less checkout lane with a full cart?

I would, but that isn't analogous to the op, is it?  A more apt comparison would be someone going through the 10 item lane with 12 items.  No one is suggesting parking in a curbside delivery pickup spot for 2 hours.

33 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Fuck society has slipped the last few years…

These didn't even exist a few years ago. They're left over from Covid and avoiding the plague.

20 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Would you be pissed if someone was in the 10 items or less checkout lane with a full cart?

How is that a good analogy. What I'm talking about is victimless. 

Would you get mad if you found out that someone at a mostly-empty sporting event had moved up a few rows to sit in seats they didn't pay for? 

I mean if we are going to go down this route let's go all in.

At MANY places, there are way too many handicapped parking spots.  

Never-mind the rampant abuse of those placards.  There isn't a reason for some Best Buy or a Total Wine to have 8 Handicap spots.  You ever seen 8 handicapped people in a Best Buy?  Places where people are expected to show up en masse all at once, yea they should have lots of handicap spots.  DKR, Moody, Jerryworld, hell even movie theaters, performance halls, etc...sure.  Most retail, etc are not those kind of places.  

All that said I get the reason for them, respect them and understand this is ultimately a government operation so that's just the way it is going to be.  Doesn't make all those empty spots of concrete all the time any less stupid.  

17 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What's the Surly verdict though on those "This space reserved for customers of XYZ Company" at a retail center? 

I feel like it's also a compromise there, too.  While one tenant might benefit from another bigger tenant, it's also the right of the smaller tenant to protect access for their clients, as well.  They pay rent too, so they should be able to provide parking for their customers.

It's been my experience that most of these smaller merchants are pretty reasonable with the blocking of spaces, usually directly in front of their establishment.

7 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I would, but that isn't analogous to the op, is it?  A more apt comparison would be someone going through the 10 item lane with 12 items.  No one is suggesting parking in a curbside delivery pickup spot for 2 hours.

I’ve had employees direct me to the express lanes when they are open but there are lines at the regular lanes. Not when I have a cart full of shit, but I rarely do so could be my shopping habits driving that. 

12 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Hey OP, I think you should also check out the spots for pregnant women / parents w small children. You might be able to get a little closer and save a few. Just wasting spots right?

I already explained which spaces I will and won't use. You're welcome to read the thread. 

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Never-mind the rampant abuse of those placards.  There isn't a reason for some Best Buy or a Total Wine to have 8 Handicap spots.  You ever seen 8 handicapped people in a Best Buy?  Places where people are expected to show up en masse all at once, yea they should have lots of handicap spots.  DKR, Moody, Jerryworld, hell even movie theaters, performance halls, etc...sure.  Most retail, etc are not those kind of places.  

All that said I get the reason for them, respect them and understand this is ultimately a government operation so that's just the way it is going to be.  Doesn't make all those empty spots of concrete all the time any less stupid.  

I agree there are too many at a lot of places. The thing with that is that if all the HC spots are full and a legitimately HC person needs one it's kind of a bad look. If all the curbside pickup spots are taken (and again - I would never park there if even close to half of them were taken) then all someone has to do is walk inside. 

Here's another good one - how many people using handicapped spots are actually handicapped? I've known plenty of people over the years that have the HC placard that don't need it. Including someone I currently work with. 

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I believe that is mandated by state or federal law, based on store square footage or max occupancy (also sq ft related).  Whether or not that number needs to be reevaluated, I don’t know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I believe that is mandated by state or federal law, based on store square footage or max occupancy (also sq ft related).  Whether or not that number needs to be reevaluated, I don’t know. 

Yea, hence my comment about it being a government operation

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Here's another good one - how many people using handicapped spots are actually handicapped? I've known plenty of people over the years that have the HC placard that don't need it. Including someone I currently work with. 

Those people are also assholes, but that doesn't justify you also being an asshole.

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What's the Surly verdict though on those "This space reserved for customers of XYZ Company" at a retail center?  There's a coffee shop down my street that I frequently meet folks at for early morning meetings.  Most of the businesses in their strip center aren't open yet, but 3/4 of the spots are labeled for their exclusive use despite none of them opening up until 10am or later.  And I've been asked to move on more than one occasion at 7;30am for no fucking reason.  I'm not paying valet to park for a fucking coffee and muffin.  

Who is asking you to move if the store isn't open?  If the store isn't even open I'd say it's probably okay, but If they are open you would be an asshole.  I assume the store is paying for X amount of premium spots through their lease, so of course they only want their paying customers to use them.