What's your stance on curbside parking?

ztejas

Happened a few times between this Jimmy John's (open at 11am, but manager and staff are there at like 9:30a) and this battery+ place which I think opens at 9 or 10a.  I'm there at 8 usually for coffee meetings about 3-5x/month.  And a few times they come out and tell me to move because that little lot is actually really crowded between the coffee place and the kolache place.  I'm never there past 10am so I it shouldn't be an issue.  To be fair to those places, they are completely overrun by midday, but if you haven't opened yet---piss off, I'm parking here.  Unlike handicapped spots, it's not actually as legally enforceable as might think.  

Anyway, this is one anecdotal strip center.  But there's one in every neighborhood, where if they're not open early or you're picking up dinner late from a nearby restaurant at 8 and they closed at 7, I think the reserved spots should have hours on them.  Works for every block of downtown and campus, why can't we deploy this radical "time-telling" detail into our retail parking situation?  I'll chip in for the extra paint.

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

The store is delivering the product to the lazy fuck who can't be bothered to walk into the store, but is too poor to have it delivered to their home.

All this energy to be wrong on so many things, maybe you should park in the back and get some rage out walking to the store.

• Haha 1

I park towards the back and walk in because I can walk and it’s a simple pleasure. And it means I can usually park in the same spot every time. With the kid, I park in the back near the cart corral so it’s a one two thing, so that’s my spot all the time.

if we’re talking something like Brodie HEB on a Saturday then… honestly even then nah. Order curbside if you want to park in the curbside park.

If there’s a thing downtown (in my… roughly Buda sized town) that we’re going to at night and is crowded, I’ll park at the dentist or bank or whatever that is well past closed and technically says no parking. I don’t care and everyone else is doing it anyways.

I park an old beat up Landcruiser in the compact car spots. Not to save time or anything, just a personal passive aggressive protest against the lack of decent sized parking spots in some lots.  It’s a little snug but it fits and doors can still be opened enough for all but the fattest drivers.  

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I park an old beat up Landcruiser in the compact car spots. Not to save time or anything, just a personal passive aggressive protest against the lack of decent sized parking spots in some lots.  It’s a little snug but it fits and doors can still be opened enough for all but the fattest drivers.  

Your mom's an old beat up Landcruiser, HEY-OOOOO

Edited by honolulu horn
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I already explained which spaces I will and won't use. You're welcome to read the thread. I

I would never park in a HC spot because it's both inconsiderate and illegal - and I would never take a curbside spot if like 3 or 4 of the 6 are accounted for (or if they only have 2-3 spots designated) - but if no one is using them do I really need to waste my time finding a spot further away? 

No where do you state you wouldn’t park in the expecting mothers spots. You’re welcome to read your own fucking thread. Asshole. 

Edited by UT_OB1

Surly never disappoints. I was just thinking about the OP's predicament last night when I went to the pet store to get dog food, and was wondering if there would be a thread about it. This site is like the real-time Seinfeld writer's den.  

It was about half hour before closing, parking lot deserted. I debated about parking in one of the 6 curbside delivery spots until I realized it was idiotic not to park in one of those spaces. I was gone within 4 minutes, and no cars showed up. I think those spaces have outlived their utility as I've never seen them fully utilized at any time of day. Grocery stores and some restaurants are exceptions; curbside delivery spots make sense there. 

Edited by honolulu horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't park there, but don't care if someone else does. 

To me, the best parking spot isn't the closest. It's the one with shade, or if it's not hot, it's the one that's easy to pull into. I prefer parking where there is a space open on at least one side of me just to give a little more room.

The thing that sucks, looking at you Lowes, is when there's a gazillion curbside/online spaces and there are 6 to 8 handicapped spaces that are all full. As a result I get to painfully walk from the middle of the lot.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

So should I instead order the item curbside, pull up, text them, and in the process waste multiple people's time?

I have also had the experience multiple times using curbside where I've either had to text them again or call or go inside anyway because the employees wind up ignoring it or forgetting that someone is there. 

I don't really care if I'm the asshole or not - more pointing out that it's dumb and wastes a lot of the closest parking spots 98% of the day. 

Thank you.

So you really didn’t want posters to opine on whether or not you were an asshole.  You just wanted them to validate your opinion that your time is more valuable than other people’s.  Did you also go through the express check out lane with 20 items because you needed to hurry because you were parked in the wrong place?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't park there, but don't care if someone else does. 

To me, the best parking spot isn't the closest. It's the one with shade, or if it's not hot, it's the one that's easy to pull into. I prefer parking where there is a space open on at least one side of me just to give a little more room.

This man gets it.

1. Shade

2. Easy in and out. 

48 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So you really didn’t want posters to opine on whether or not you were an asshole.  You just wanted them to validate your opinion that your time is more valuable than other people’s.  Did you also go through the express check out lane with 20 items because you needed to hurry because you were parked in the wrong place?

I don't get this take. There's no one else parked in the curbside spaces. There are plenty of spaces to choose from if someone ordered curbside. In a busy location it's a dick move,  but when there's no real demand I don't see why they can't be used. So the argument that the OP's time is more valuable than another customer's is negated -- there is no other customer. 

Also, the reality is that full curbside parking doesn't inconvenience customers whatsoever. If you order curbside, and all of the curbside spaces are taken when you get there, you just park in a normal space and tell them to come to your space instead. It might inconvenience the worker (who is getting paid to walk your shit to and from the store), but not the customer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Happened a few times between this Jimmy John's (open at 11am, but manager and staff are there at like 9:30a) and this battery+ place which I think opens at 9 or 10a.  I'm there at 8 usually for coffee meetings about 3-5x/month.  And a few times they come out and tell me to move because that little lot is actually really crowded between the coffee place and the kolache place.  I'm never there past 10am so I it shouldn't be an issue.  To be fair to those places, they are completely overrun by midday, but if you haven't opened yet---piss off, I'm parking here.  Unlike handicapped spots, it's not actually as legally enforceable as might think.  

Anyway, this is one anecdotal strip center.  But there's one in every neighborhood, where if they're not open early or you're picking up dinner late from a nearby restaurant at 8 and they closed at 7, I think the reserved spots should have hours on them.  Works for every block of downtown and campus, why can't we deploy this radical "time-telling" detail into our retail parking situation?  I'll chip in for the extra paint.

kolache place closed.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well if everyone did it then there wouldn’t be any curbside spots at all and people who were trying to get their curbside delivery would just be shit out of luck.  So OP is saying that he should be able to do it, but not everyone else.  wait in their cars and get the delivery made to a different parking space. 

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well if everyone did it then there wouldn’t be any curbside spots at all and people who were trying to get their curbside delivery would just be shit out of luck.  So OP is saying that he should be able to do it, but not everyone else.

No - because I pretty clearly explained that I wouldn't park there if it's obviously busy or some of the spots have already been taken. If a bunch of people not getting curbside are already taking up the curbside spots then I'll park somewhere else. 

The discussion is about businesses that are either not using those spots, have way too many, or it's at an hour where the place is dead. 

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well if everyone did it then there wouldn’t be any curbside spots at all and people who were trying to get their curbside delivery would just be shit out of luck.  So OP is saying that he should be able to do it, but not everyone else.

If you hadn't married the stripper how would we know not to?

• Haha 1