The barely too Early 2023 SXSW band, venue, RSVP suggestion thread!

horn4life

Come one come all and give your personal suggestions and sleeper finds among what I think is going to be an explosion of more "unofficial" shows around this time. Covid scrubbed off a lot and I think this year is going to include a lot more music sound town this year.  For years SoCo has been our go to, but slowly but surely a lot of the old music venues have gotten displaced, and moved or downsized in covid.  My current pattern is mainly a drift back and forth between Continental Club and SXSJ (South by San Jose) with an occasional walk down to C-Boys or Lucy's fried Chicken for a particular band. Yard Dog in the Alley is gone now but I they have reincarnated their shows at ABGB (Austin beer Garden and brewing) so they still have a presence just not walking distance.  

I did not realize for some reason that KLBJ has day shows at Cooper's on Congress until last year. Still missed Zach Person, but it's on my day list this year.  We also went to a great day show called Floodfest in 2019 at Cedar Street what was good solid via RSVP.  Last year I went to some Day outdoor shows at Hotel Vegas on Saturday and then made the mistake of trying to cross the highway to get south for a band and it would have been easier to go east to Pleasant Valley to cross the river from the Ease 6th street area. So feel to put in any SXSW travel logistics. Done some Dogwood shows as well. For me it's trying to find a couple of solid bands grouped together.

The other thing I see more and more is RSVP shows.  Mainly I want to see good music in smaller venues!  Up and comer bands is what SXSW is all about.  I'm still pissed at the wife for missing Courtney Barnett at Buffalo Billiards a couple years ago.  And at my sister for making me eat a $25 chicken fried steak instead of watching the black Pumas for more than the last couple songs.  There are real gems to be found each and every SXSW and most of them are at the non-official gigs, because haven't made a name yet for themselves and they are playing 3 shows as well as a single small venue official show.  

I know that most of the Unofficial shows don't firm up until February.  But tell me what you favorite venues have been over the years during SXSW, and help me expand my range a bit.  When the good shows firm up let us know when and where!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've always liked Randy Franklin's shows at Yard Dog.  He's not doing them any more?

I think 2019 was the last year in the alley.  Saw a great set of Uncle Lucious there as the last I saw I think.  Yard Dog takes over ABGB now, or did last year.  Seems like Bloodshot records was a sponsor at least one of the days.  With that moving I started looking a little more to Lucy's as they had full days of music I think Wednesday through Sunday. In fact Lucy's usually has a pretty solid Sunday lineup with everyone else has called SXSW over at that point.  

Yeah, Randy is close to Jon Langford / Mekons and a bunch of Bloodshot artists.  They were a big part of the Yard Dog SXSW shows.

As an aside, if you've never seen Jon's art when he has a showing at Yard Dog, it's worth the trip.  Pretty cool "primitive" rock portraits, etc.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:28 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I've always liked Randy Franklin's shows at Yard Dog.  He's not doing them any more?

He had Jason Victor and Steve Wynn last year for a quick evening show at the gallery. I think he had one or two similarly brief events but nothing like the alley shows when they were downtown.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:36 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Lucy's is out this year.  They say maybe next year . . .

The guy who booked those shows is now partnering with Steve Wertheimer and doing five days of shows inside and in the parking lot at C-Boys. The acts will be named this week, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, trubbaman said:

The guy who booked those shows is now partnering with Steve Wertheimer and doing five days of shows inside and in the parking lot at C-Boys. The acts will be named this week, I think.

C-Boys is a great but small venue.  

On 1/31/2023 at 5:36 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Lucy's is out this year.  They say maybe next year . . .

I think their shows actually cost them money in all honesty.  The place was a complete zoo even on Sundays the last couple years.  

If memory serves me, I think somebody usually reports the venues that have applied for special event noise permits issued for the dates in question.  I think that last year was a decent increase in permits from pre-covid but not close to what were being issued in 2019. In fact about 50% less.

In 2020, before the pandemic forced closures of bars and clubs, the city received 183 special events applications for what they call "Spring Festival Season," which corresponds with the dates of SXSW. So far this year, the city has received 97 applications for events that will take place during SXSW (including SXSW Edu). The original application deadline of Feb. 7 was extended to Feb. 11. 

link

When the list for "special events" comes out that will give you a good idea of what degree of expansion this year might offer.  I always wait anxiously for Jo's SXSJ lineup, but that's usually like 10 days before the event.  I did look back at some of the posters and it brought back some good memories. The last thing I did last time I was in continental was buy a last drink from the waitress, get her name while giving a fat tip, and telling her to look for me in March! Being nice early and often is a recipe for getting a drink a LOT more easily when it's packed at Continental. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:49 AM, JNip said:

How can we watch New Order?

At Club Foot in the early 80's! 😉

Here is a map of the 2023 downtown street closure permitting from the city events dept link to DT closures

I think my main search now is gonna be for the few events taking place on Tuesday.  SXSJ used to have an early Tuesday fundraiser that was more country flavored. Mainly it was on Tuesday which meant a LOT fewer folks had the flexibility to attend.  But starting to get a little excited.

Don't know if you have heard of the Heavy Heavy but they are playing a 2 night gig at C-boys on March 10/11. And since a lot of you guys have a case of the olds, there is daytime show at Antone's on February 25th at 1 pm. Johnny Walker Live!  With a reunion of Soul Hat (Black Cat regular) and Patrice Pike's Band which I imagine may have a Sister 7 configuration at some point in the show.  But might get some good walk ups.

Copied from Tubaman on the concerts you're attending thread-

Randy Franklin just let fly with the lineup for the annual Yard Dog Party at ABGB, Friday March 17.

26th Annual Yard Dog Party
at ABGB
Friday March 17
3 - Midnight
FREE ADMISSION. No tickets, no rsvp, no nothin'. FREE ADMISSION.

Music by
11 pm: Waco Brothers
10 pm: Jon Langford & The Far Forlorn
9 pm: The Silos performing the Cuba album
8 pm: Churchwood
7 pm: Wild Seeds
6 pm: Casey Neill
5 pm: Bob Schneider
4 pm: Jon Dee & William Graham
3:20 pm: Alice Spencer and Brian Beattie
3 pm: Ethan Azarian

It's a Yard Dog party but it's not at Yard Dog.
ABGB is at - 1305 W. Oltorf, Austin, TX 78704

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff is starting to shape up.  C-Boys on SoCo is putting on it's first annual SoCo Stomp march 15-19th.  Guess it's gonna be a regular thing since they set up a separate website 40 bands and all day shows from 1-7 pm.https://www.socostomp.com/

spacer.png

Friday March 17th Yard Dog party at ABGB's    Yard Dog party w/ Waco Brothers (11:00), Jon Langford & the Far Forlorn (10:00), the Silos (9:00), Churchwood (8:00), Wild Seeds (7:00), Casey Neill (6:00), Bob Schneider (5:00), Jon Dee Graham & William Harries Graham (4:00), Alice Spencer & Brian Beattie (3:20), Ethan Azarian (3:00)

Jam in the Van looks pretty good, and Armadillo Den is another "way down south" venue I haven't been too.  Zach Person is one I wanted to see and missed last year, so good to see at least one chance.

SXSJ 2023 LINEUP

The Heavy Heavy | be your own PET | The Nude Party | Sir Woman | Thee Sacred Souls | The Lemon Twigs | The War And Treaty | Why Bonnie | Bailen| Model/Actriz| Blondshell | CIVIC | Son Rompe Pera | Monophonics | JOON | Robocobra Quartet | Oracle Sisters | the GOLDEN DREGS | Balming Tiger | Ratboys | Thus Love | Brigitte Calls Me Baby | Gypsy Mitchell | Olivia Jean Free Range | Peter One | Izzy Heltai |Shadow Show | Texas String Assembly | Charlotte Rose Benjamin | The Push & Shove | abracadabra

Not too shabby, Looks like "The Heavy Heavy" is gonna be everywhere in Austin.  They are getting some airplay at least on Sun Radio, and I think from the little I have heard they may be a "break out" band that gains wider appeal. Playing a small show at C-boys on the 10th I am gonna hit as a warmup to SXSW.

The real key is to find out what times what bands are playing where.  I actually use Do512 a lot for that as they seem to get the time frames down a lot more accurately than other sites.  Anyone else have a site they use to determine the band start times?

Finally!  What I love about the Austin Chronicle is that they do FINALLY put up a list of the shows that they personally do not sponsor about a week before the event.  So they have the Unofficial Parties and Free shows link on their website. https://www.austinchronicle.com/sxsw/unofficial/. Of course not all the parties and free shows, but a decent list for sure.    More importantly there are start times to a good deal of the listings.

I tend to move more towards Rock and Blues as my preferred music, but one of the things I love about this time of year is the super wide variety of the lineups.  The other thing I will absolutely do this year is spend some cash on some records if they are available from the bands I like.  Finally got my turntable put together and time to rebuild the record collection that turned into a brick due to my rent house A/C leaking several decades ago. 😞

• 2 weeks later...

City is a lot different than 3 years ago.  Hell the skyline alone is different.  To be honest this weekend to me is always like the "soft opening" for SXSW, next week it's on!

I did really enjoy seeing The Heavy Heavy at C-boys.  For the first time in a very, very long time we were at the front of the line.  Helps when you are kicked out to clear the room for the next show and you simply decide to wait.  I think this band is actually going somewhere.  A little more mellow than my usual rock/blues based preferences, but good music and the Georgie has a gorgeous voice, with some serious range.  I guess the main thing that makes me think these kids may be on the edge of greatness?  IS that the kids fucking shut up and listened to the set.  Usually they are too busy talking about bullshit to list to at least half the show.

They are playing multiple shows around town including SXSJ on Wednesday. in fact they remind me a lot of the "drifty" music that has been a staple as SXSJ over the years for their day shows. I will also say that I was both surprised and impressed by the midnight act Wayne Baker Brooks.  Good old school Chicago Blues.  Even better Brooks' set began as sort of a "chicago blues history lesson" with his song selection.   Apparently they only came in for this show specifically, but they are now on my list to watch out for in case they ever come back though. 

I need to get my plan of attack together for next week...

Yeah Hotel Vegas/ Volstead is one area that has really gone wild as SXSW.  Usually I just drive to wherever I am going but, Hotel Vegas is also right next to the Train.  But I never have ridden the train.  Might be the best way in and out should I decide to head down on the weekend.  They have shit going today as well.  A Giant Dog is good and i've hear good things about Pleasure Venom.  One day I have to see Pelvis Wrestley just for the creative band name. and Iguana Death Cult has good name and good sound.  But alas probably too busy today... but gonna do that train research

spacer.png

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

New Order tonight if C3 hookup comes through.  GSD&M and SonicGuild daytime on Wednesday.  Steve 'n Seagulls as well.  Then wind down and do some daytime shows with kids on Friday or Saturday (looks chilly, but better than heat exhaustion).  quite an interesting mix of folks this week so far.  I know we have a "stay outta our country/Austin" mentality that's so healthy and loving...but one of the coolest parts of the festival is walking down the street with my kids and listening to the accents and foreign languages being spoken.  

I love the banter on this website but it's completely voluntary---you can always shut off your device and walk to the kitchen.  But pro tip---if you get the urge to start talking to people who are clearly at an event to listen to music, get a snack/drink, and-or are working...pretend it's an airplane and resist the urge.  I guess it was a few years of pent-up Covid/hybrid festivals, but IRL---people cannot shut the fuck up and leave you alone this year.  But it's not like a message board, you're in a tiny, overcrowded venue.  Not really anywhere to escape.  Ah well, eye candy this year has been fantastic and makes up for it a good bit.

Y'all stay safe, way too many scooter dipshits.

• Hook 'Em 1

To the stay safe sentiment, be extra watchful for pedestrians. Got into Austin early Sunday morning and came across an auto-ped accident right after it happened at 5th and Congress. If you're on foot, wait till you get to where you're going or find some stopping point out of any kind of traffic before you bury your nose in your phone. 

Wife got done a hair early, and we got the wild hair and went down to Hotel Vegas, to see Iguana Death Cult after checking out some of their music.  They were great.  Sort of funny for me to see today's mosh pit closing out Rickshaw Willies Burger Patrol.  I grew up seeing folks fall out and taking a boot to the face in Houston, so it was sort of interesting to see this help the other guy up mosh pit.  A lot better to have it all be in good fun, that's for sure.It was funny because I don't think my wife had ever seen a mosh pit, and was worried Iguana Death Cult was gonna be a rehash of the pit.  

Iguana Death Cult was some band from the Netherlands I think and I really enjoyed them.  Reminded me a fair amount of The Clash so many years ago when they first came though town.  Good lead singer/ guitar player with killer energy.  Glad we got the wild hair and went on down.  Now likely SoCo Tomorrow, or maybe boomerang back to Hotel Vegas.  Good to take advantage of the nice weather.

14 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Any of y'all drive to stuff like SXSJ on Congress? Is parking/traffic a total shit show? Think I'll probably end up in that area and at ABGB several times in the Wednesday - Friday time frame.

The secret is you have to go back 3 blocks off congress for street parking.   You might get lucky with some Congress avenue parking, but i just usually go for the third block back.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, horn4life said:

Wife got done a hair early, and we got the wild hair and went down to Hotel Vegas, to see Iguana Death Cult after checking out some of their music.  They were great.  Sort of funny for me to see today's mosh pit closing out Rickshaw Willies Burger Patrol.  I grew up seeing folks fall out and taking a boot to the face in Houston, so it was sort of interesting to see this help the other guy up mosh pit.  A lot better to have it all be in good fun, that's for sure.It was funny because I don't think my wife had ever seen a mosh pit, and was worried Iguana Death Cult was gonna be a rehash of the pit.  

Iguana Death Cult was some band from the Netherlands I think and I really enjoyed them.  Reminded me a fair amount of The Clash so many years ago when they first came though town.  Good lead singer/ guitar player with killer energy.  Glad we got the wild hair and went on down.  Now likely SoCo Tomorrow, or maybe boomerang back to Hotel Vegas.  Good to take advantage of the nice weather.

millenial moshpit is how i've been referring to it. definitely a kinder gentler experience. 

• Like 1

Well today is multiple plans - but I will give a tip of a hat to what I know will be a great show.  An early 3:30 show at Continental Club with Carolyn Wonderland and Shelley King, cover's $10 but worth it, they put on a very, very good show.  If you don't have to work, that's one I might circle.  We had planned to do to C-Boy for Louisiana Lafayette's party with crawfish, but there are a shit ton of RSVP's so we may do something different, as I doubt we can get loose before 4 or 5 today.  

I also have become a big fan of the Hotel Vegas. The indoor/outdoor stages were great, and they even had a decent hamburger though $14.  I think it's one of the best SXSW venues offering up as much or more music that anybody.  Best thing about today is if you get in before 5 pm you get in for Free.  You have to wade through some of the not so good (or genre you don't prefer) to get to the bands you want.  In fact probably if I was a late nighter I would be camped out here today.  To see the Osees, and Austin's breakout "boy band with tits" Die Spitz (jimmy jazz's daughters group). But probably too late for me this early in the week. Shooks in the day, might be a winner too.

Anyhow get out there and have some fun... "kids!"

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

I also have become a big fan of the Hotel Vegas.

---
In fact probably if I was a late nighter I would be camped out here today.  To see the Osees, and Austin's breakout "boy band with tits" Die Spitz (jimmy jazz's daughters group). But probably too late for me this early in the week.

11 PM

Shooks in the day, might be a winner too.

Shooks is good.  The apple rarely falls far from the Sexton tree.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Heading to Empire Control Room for some Latin-tinged music this afternoon (psychedlic "Divino Nino" at 2:30 then I'll check out whoever is after), then try to walk over and catch The Osees at Volstead/Vegas at 6. A bit worried about lines for both shows though. We'll see. Staying after for the Cumbia showcase at Hotel Vegas. I'm usually in the latin acts or general rock acts shows. 

I will say The Stacks sound pretty good. Might have to drive down to Sagebrush tomorrow and catch their last show.

Went down to SoCo to enjoy the weather, meet up with some friends, and see some tunes.  The new SoCo Stomp at C-Boys is the real deal.  Great stages setup outside and the usual more intimate indoor stage.  Somebody I had not seen before was Django Walker.  I enjoyed him even before I realized he was Jerry Jeff's son, a younger band from Ireland was Milk and they were fun.  You can sort of tell instantly who the hot bands are at Continental as the surge to turn the dance floor into standing room only is pretty rapid.  

Not sure about the weather today, but Shiny Ribs at C-boys at 1 pm may be on the menu. Supposedly we are gonna rain, sun and then late storms today, so I am gonna play it by ear. 

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Anyone been down to Armadillo Den during the day this week?

Trying to figure out what the setup is for the “Van Sessions” during the day  

wanting to catch the Heavy Heavy sometime this week and see their doing that at 12 tomorrow 

The Heavy Heavy is my "breakout" band for SXSW, I am pretty sure they closed our SXSJ last night.  I THINK THEY PLAY AT (;#) pm at Armadillo Den. and if you take a rideshare they will knock off 10% off you tab due to little parking.  The reason I think the Heavy Heavy may be a breakout?  The kids shut the fuck up when they played last Friday at C-Boys.  Sort of a throwback sound, but I spoke with Georgie the female lead and she was as sweet as can be.  I am rooting for them to break out, AND stay true to themselves, and not go off the success cliff. But worth seeking out.

I ended up going down to C-Boys to catch Shiny Ribs at 1 pm, but decided after a few songs that rather than ordering a Jack N Diet for breakfast I should want down to Hopdoddy for a 2pm Burger and Rita "Lunch/brunch."  Decided to wear my summertime Aquamarine polo to try and bring on the sun rays and it worked.  Turned out to be a lovely day!  I can't overemphasize how much I appreciate Continental Club for keep so many bands over the years in some pocket change for survival.  I ended up pretty much camping out there and seeing a lineup catered by Tomar, of Tomar and the FC's.  I tend to go more towards blues and rock but talent transcends all genres and it was great to hear stuff I might normally not have sought out. A guy came out and freestyled who was awesome.  Wish I had caught his name, but he was awesome on his one song.  Ter'ell Shahid had a really nice set! There was a young gal who stepped up for two songs who was from NY who absolutely killed it.  I recorded a lot of her last song and I think I got her name on tape, she was a cousin I believe of Tomar.  Anyhow I hope that Tomar continues to curate a show for CC during SXSW in the future, I really enjoyed it.

If the weather doesn't suck think I will again start at C-boys and see The Shooks at 1 pm.  Then who knows.  It was packed yesterday for Shiny Ribs and I am sort of hoping The Shooks don't bring out quite as large an early crowd.  I am going to bet that the English Teeth Pretender's show with the guest singers will likely kick ass.  I figure we will be heading out after a couple hours... but you never know.   Barfield is always fun, and Tameca Jones has some real pipes.  Basically something for everyone, with lots of Genre changes.  Which is what I love most about SXSW.  Sometimes you have to wade though some shit you don't prefer, but the surprise finds are always worth it for me!

Go have some fun kids!

C-Boy SOCO Stomp

OUTDOOR STAGE
1:00 – SHOOKS
2:15 – TAMECA JONES
3:30 – ENGLISH TEETH PRESENTS “DAMN THE PRETENDERS” WITH 10 GUEST SINGERS
5:00 – LOW CUT CONNIE
6:30 – BIG FREEDIA
INDOOR STAGE (21+ ENTRY)
1:45 – RESTOS (FORMERLY WESTERN YOUTH)
3:00 – WACO BROTHERS
4:30 – KAM FRANKLIN (OF THE SUFFERS)
5:45 – BARFIELD

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

PS South by San Jose has a good lineup as well and they do have a tent for the audience if the weather sucks.  With the Nude Party the headliner last band and Shadow Show kicking things off. Thee Sacred Souls and Nude Party should both be great but I will likely be gone by then.

The Nude Party | Thee Sacred Souls | Gypsy Mitchell | Blondshell | the GOLDEN DREGS | Oracle Sisters | Izzy Heltai | Shadow Show

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

If the weather doesn't suck think I will again start at C-boys and see The Shooks at 1 pm.  Then who knows.  It was packed yesterday for Shiny Ribs and I am sort of hoping The Shooks don't bring out quite as large an early crowd.

fify

Not a bad day... started off at C-boys with Shooks at 1 pm. But it was cold and early on St Patty's, hard for the band to get energy from the smaller crowd. But I totally reminded me of Charlie oh so long ago, and would love to see them with I imagine a night time throng of heart throb girls..  Moved down to Continental for Garrett T. Capps who was a fun funky band with cosmic cowboy look. Then Nik Parr and the Selfless Lovers.   I had forgotten the wife and I had met the Guitar player before a year to more ago at T 22, and that guy was damn fine player and paired with the keyboard / sax player band leader.  Then walked up to try to catch the last few songs by English Teeth and guest singers.  Cam in for the last song and a half.  Everyone was having a grand time from what I could tell from fans to the large ensemble of musicians onstage to close out the set.  Wasn't sure what to do and they guys next to us said we should hang around for Low Cut Connie.

When Steve the owner of C-boys introduced them as the worlds greatest rock and roll band I was definitely curious.  They fucking kicked ass.  They put fun rocking show, that was really, really fun to have witnessed.  I can only imagine what a non-time restricted show might have been like.  Sort of a working class rock and roll show if you EVER get a chance make the time to see them.

Then walked back down to SXSJ and saw Thee Sacred Souls.   Nice tight band with a song my wife realized was one she liked from Sun Radio.  Nice groove and a super high register range for the lead singer.  Was very close to staying a few more minutes to see Nude Party because I really like that "ride on" song they are getting some airplay on.  But I gave the wife mercy and we headed home.

I really do love this time of year to go see all the different styles of music.

My top 3- #1 The Heavy Heavy at C-boys #2 Low Cut Connie at C- Boys #3 Iguana Death Cult at Hotel Vegas. sounds like a fitting mix of Austin music band names doesn't it!

I was at the English Teeth and Low Cut Connie show at C-boys and it was great. I’m friends with English Teeth and play with them occasionally but they really brought it.

And two of the three English Teeth guys are with us in Infinite Hiss at High Noon this evening; Garrett T Capps also playing and then White Denim. We go on at 6 for anyone interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

I was at the English Teeth and Low Cut Connie show at C-boys and it was great. I’m friends with English Teeth and play with them occasionally but they really brought it.

And two of the three English Teeth guys are with us in Infinite Hiss at High Noon this evening; Garrett T Capps also playing and then White Denim. We go on at 6 for anyone interested.

Yeah really wish I had started the walk up to C-boys sooner.  The billing of 10 guest singers doing "the Pretenders" sounded interesting, and like I said clearly everyone was having a great time on and off the stage!  Trying to get some stuff done around the house and rally... but might be a struggle after the last week of fun.

• Like 1