The barely too Early 2023 SXSW band, venue, RSVP suggestion thread!

horn4life

Is there still music today (Sunday, 19 March) at South x San Jose?  Their website lists today as an event but there's no artist listings.  And they listed everybody from earlier in the week.  It's been a few years since we went and I think it was always on Saturday.  Wanted to take the kids there after church and want to make a plan over breakfast, but nobody will be answering the phone for a couple hours.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Is there still music today (Sunday, 19 March) at South x San Jose?  Their website lists today as an event but there's no artist listings.  And they listed everybody from earlier in the week.  It's been a few years since we went and I think it was always on Saturday.  Wanted to take the kids there after church and want to make a plan over breakfast, but nobody will be answering the phone for a couple hours.  Thanks.

There is some sort of Brunch?  Which could be full band(s) but not like the last few days.  You might be able to get the kids into C-boys outside if you go early enough to an angle where they can see.  Inside is 21+, but outside is all ages.  You can drive by and see the outdoor stage from Congress. Sir Woman may pack the place, but I was hoping to see them and West Texas Exiles, but working on trying to convince my sidekick to join me.  I am tempted to go way south to the Far Out Lounge to see Iguana Death Cult and Die Spitz, but think that's gonna be a bridge too far too late for me after this party week. 

Edited by horn4life

Well goodbye south by... My "Spring Break for Old People" has passed once again.  I love being able to hear so much fantastic music in for the most part smaller venues.

Go out and keep supporting your local musicians and equally as important the venues that allow for their growth and survival.  See ya next year!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

yeah, i'm exhausted. best new finds were bat lips, dropper, death valley girls, rugburn, rodeo boys. Favorite set was Alex Maas at High Noon. Kevin McKinney's set was also great...the rhythm section was way tighter than the soulhat reunion a few weeks ago. Not sure who was on bass but he was damn good, and the drummer was Robb Kydd. Osees on Thursday night was great but they didn't start until after 1am due to the storm and I just didn't have the energy to enjoy it properly. JNL bbq on Cesar Chavez was a pretty good place to hangout, they had cheap beer and mostly really good bands and there were never more than 20 people there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, stc said:

Osees on Thursday night was great but they didn't start until after 1am due to the storm and I just didn't have the energy to enjoy it properly.

My daughter's band played with them on Tuesday -- she said they were phenomenal.  Wish I had caught that show.

• Hook 'Em 3

yeah - I like to get out early if I can simply as especially early in the week you can see some of the later night (normal time) bands in earlier slots.   Hell I just like the sense of community everyone has for the most part this time of year.  Now granted I am hitting more daylight early evening sets, so that generally means a bit more mature crowd, but just the overall vibe of folks enjoying genres wildly different from what they normally would.  Just the general appreciation of music by so many people I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

My favorite set (selfishly, of course) was playing with Infinite Hiss at High Noon then walking outside to watch Alex kill it. You probably caught this, but Robb played drums with Alex then took a 10 minute break and walked inside to play with McKinney. Killed it for both sets. White Denim was, well, White Denim.

I was only in town about 36 hours but reminded me I have to get back there every year even if I’m not playing. Great vibe this year even with the weird weather and smaller crowds (which might have been why the vibe was so good).

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

but Robb played drums with Alex then took a 10 minute break and walked inside to play with McKinney. Killed it for both sets. White Denim was, well, White Denim.

i talked to him after the kevin mckinney set and told him what an incredible job he did for both sets, seemed like a really nice guy. that was my first white denim experience and I don't get the appeal. that dude who looks like david koresh was super annoying. 

• Haha 1

I think the big appeal with White Denim is just that they are all super pro and very good musicians. Their former drummer was one of the best in town (Josh Block) and James is very proficient on guitar. But I agree. He’s admitted that he knows they are a hard band to book - who do they follow? Who follows them? They were also critical darlings their first few albums.

And yeah all of the guys playing with Alex are super super nice. And fucking good musicians. I was talking that night with Jake Garcia (bass) about playing recently in Athens and I asked him where they played and he said, totally humbly, “well, no, we were in Athens, Greece” and I was like, ah, yes…. These guys do this for real.

10 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I think the big appeal with White Denim is just that they are all super pro and very good musicians. Their former drummer was one of the best in town (Josh Block) and James is very proficient on guitar. But I agree. He’s admitted that he knows they are a hard band to book - who do they follow? Who follows them? They were also critical darlings their first few albums.

And yeah all of the guys playing with Alex are super super nice. And fucking good musicians. I was talking that night with Jake Garcia (bass) about playing recently in Athens and I asked him where they played and he said, totally humbly, “well, no, we were in Athens, Greece” and I was like, ah, yes…. These guys do this for real.

I've been impressed with what I've heard, but I get the square peg syndrome.  Fortunately, there is money to be made touring, even to Greece.

When I was playing regularly a $100 payday was a windfall, especially with a case of beer thrown in.  The headliner in a bigger Austin club can now pull down $2K.  It's nuts.  I mean, nuts in a good way, but still.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

My favorite set (selfishly, of course) was playing with Infinite Hiss at High Noon then walking outside to watch Alex kill it. You probably caught this, but Robb played drums with Alex then took a 10 minute break and walked inside to play with McKinney. Killed it for both sets. White Denim was, well, White Denim.

I was only in town about 36 hours but reminded me I have to get back there every year even if I’m not playing. Great vibe this year even with the weird weather and smaller crowds (which might have been why the vibe was so good).

What band are you in (if you don't mind me asking)?

I was digging the smaller Goldilocks "just right sized" crowds for the day shows at HV. Not sure why they were smaller cuz I was anticipating and mentally buffering myself for the Surfbort congestion from the year before (and Surfbort IS awesome) but everything was chill, easy and breezy.

My favorite time of year.

just read a brooklyn vegan article about the best bands they saw at sxsw. cheekface was one of their highlights. i had the misfortune of seeing them twice last week and they are quite literally one of the worst bands i've ever seen. indie talk-singing nerd rock bullshit. fuck you brooklyn vegan. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, stc said:

just read a brooklyn vegan article about the best bands they saw at sxsw. cheekface was one of their highlights. i had the misfortune of seeing them twice last week and they are quite literally one of the worst bands i've ever seen. indie talk-singing nerd rock bullshit. fuck you brooklyn vegan. 

Well Brooklyn Vegan alone shows a bit of confusion.

We saw White Denim, Haelos, and maybe Broken Social Scene perhaps one more at "Floodfest" at Cedar Street in 2019.  I think that may bhave been the first RSVP shows that we attended.  White Denim was more jam band than I expected, and we enjoyed the variation in the song genres.  Sort of Psyche-rock-jam band. 

I have always thought that some smart promoter should get like 6 bands and do a tour of "Austin Invasion" tour.  Where you tried to curate the flavors of Austin music, in all day festival feel events. It would be a logistical nightmare I am sure, but I also think it's a concept would sell.  Especially in Europe.  But you would want to test drive it in the States for sure.  I don't know about much about booking events, but I could see the ability to put together an eclectic mix of music to give other folks a glimpse of what we are so lucky to have here.  I guess the main thing would be that the bands in general didn't dislike each other, and deep enough pockets to cover the bumps in the road. 

A buddy of mine Mike(who has passed) took Rosie Flores around Europe, 20+ years ago.  And I always think of how cool it would be to export the vibe of the mostly locals scene we enjoy as SXSW.  Probably too tough logistically, but that "Austin Invasion" type thing has been floating in my head a while now.

--------

Again I must say that for a Rock and Roll show you must go out of your way to see "Low Cut Connie."  They actually lived up pretty well to Steve's introduction of "The world's greatest rock and roll band. Sort of a Springsteen, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Seeger working class good time rock and roll!