2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas creeps up to 10th in RPI

10th in D1 softball (up 4 spots)

10th in Softball America (up 4 spots)
14 in Extra Innings Softball (no change)
9th in NFCA Coaches Poll (up 1 spot)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, HollidayHorn said:

Answered my own question. ESPN Plus tomorrow and Espn2 on Saturday and Sunday 

Screenshot_20230330-142844_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3b1a133d2623bf7a2ee7a3674c9aabb5.jpg

Also that 6pm (in OKC) and 11am (in Norman) turnaround is a bitch.  Like, thanks ESPN. 

3 minutes ago, hornag said:

Oklahoma City and Norman are basically the same city.  Basically the same as going from Austin to Pflugerville.

I know. But even Cat on the broadcast over the weekend said it’s a weird schedule to do such a quick turnaround. 

Just didn’t seem necessary to do an early Saturday game, which is usually rare. Usually Sundays are the only early game due to travel 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

So pitching, hitting, and fielding.  Got it. 

In all seriousness there’s really no potential for catching up to ou until Gasso retires. They are just that loaded. 

This. They just reload with freshman and transfers. Players want to win rings so they’ll go where they have the best shot.  It sucks but it’s no different than a Kentucky/Kansas, UConn/South Carolina, Bama/Georgia, etc. Catch up or shut up 

• Like 1

Speaking of reloading, I guess there was some controversy this week with White's comments (see ~47 sec mark):

In the post game presser, he backed off these comments. 

I'm guessing he's talking about paying players/NIL?  That's part of the game now, and OU has a made a commitment to it in its best sports, which makes sense.    

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Speaking of reloading, I guess there was some controversy this week with White's comments (see ~47 sec mark):

In the post game presser, he backed off these comments. 

I'm guessing he's talking about paying players/NIL?  That's part of the game now, and OU has a made a commitment to it in its best sports, which makes sense.    

Not something I’d ever expect to hear from a Texas coach. 

The issue is OU, to my understanding, has focused almost all of its NIL efforts on football, softball, and gymnastics.  So these 3 sports are very well funded.  We have been all in on football (obviously), but many other sports as well, so have way more dilution.  

17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The issue is OU, to my understanding, has focused almost all of its NIL efforts on football, softball, and gymnastics.  So these 3 sports are very well funded.  We have been all in on football (obviously), but many other sports as well, so have way more dilution.  

Correct. Nothing wrong with what he said. OU has picked 3 things it does well and focused on that. Texas has spread the money around to all sports.  Therefore, we are going to be at a money disadvantage for offering NIL to softball kids. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I’m not feeling real confident about this series.

Another astute observation, my dude 

No one is beating OU in a 3 game series as long as Gasso is still saddling up in Norman 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Correct. Nothing wrong with what he said. OU has picked 3 things it does well and focused on that. Texas has spread the money around to all sports.  Therefore, we are going to be at a money disadvantage for offering NIL to softball kids. 

While all of this is correct, the future state will be different. The simple reality is that Texas will build better infrastructure and has far more affluence. It is simply going to take time to do it across all of the sports while trying to get playoff relevant in football. Some sports are already at the top of the heap and can sustain that arms race. Any sport where a school has singled it out as a priority versus their other programs, the hill gets higher to climb. In football, it’s a mountain, largely because so many schools have unsurprisingly made it a priority. 

5 years from now, I’m betting Texas softball has an annual, endowed war chest. OU is already allegedly there. They’ve built with a few, we’re building with many. That’s not true for Texas in basketball or golf, and, I believe, tennis, women’s hoops and volleyball as well. I know basketball and golf have major benefactors. I think I’m right about the others. Absurdly, football doesn’t have a deep concentration for NIL at the top yet. It’s been a fucking beating. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Their best function probably is to hand the catcher a new ball. 

The kids that currently hand the umpires fresh ones could take over that function with minimal additional training. 

or just have a coach or player toss one directly to the pitcher when needed, like is done at so many levels already. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The kids that currently hand the umpires fresh ones could take over that function with minimal additional training. 

or just have a coach or player toss one directly to the pitcher when needed, like is done at so many levels already. 

I'm just trying to give them some little something to do so the ump union doesn't revolt and we end up with the home team's dads officiating.