Mayfair Witches -- Amazon Prime Series

Augustus

Nuke this thread if there's already one but I sure couldn't find it.

I've watched the the first episode and half the second.  Enjoying it so far more than I did Interview/Vampire.  Daddario is always a treat, and Huston's an interesting choice for Lasher.

15 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Appears to be an AMC series, not Prime.  Amazon is just teasing the 1st episode free.  Does look good though.

Ah, you're right.  I've got the AMC+ thing through Amazon.

Finished the 2nd episode last night, still enjoying it.

Like Interview, it's such a departure from the books I don't know exactly where they're going or how they're gonna get there, so that's cool.

The books were great.

Daddario is amazing looking 36.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:55 AM, Augustus said:

Like Interview, it's such a departure from the books I don't know exactly where they're going or how they're gonna get there, so that's cool.

The books were great.

I also read the books several years ago when I called New Orleans home.  Really liked how the city was as much of a character  as any of the Mayfairs. I keep wondering why they totally rewrote the entirety of The Witching Hour for this series… at least so far. Totally unrecognizable through the first three episodes except for the a few names and the Uptown New Orleans setting. But I will keep watching.

It is a departure, but so far, I like it.  I am actually starting to reread the books. I went to college in NOLA, and read the books back when I was in high school.  I actually do not remember the books.  I do know they have combined characters (i.e. looks like Michael Curry and David Lightener have been combined and Rowan's relationship with Michael has been omitted), but we shall see.  I always thought the history of the Mayfair Clan was really compelling.

• Hook 'Em 1

I found episode 3 pretty boring.

As far as the departure from Rice's work, they basically took the names and location and created a new story.  This Rowan is nothing like the Rowan we read about.  But whatever, I don't care as long as they do a good job.

Hoping it gets better and introduces more characters from the novels.  Mona was my favorite.  And Oncle Julien but I guess Hamlin's character is filling in for him.

Plus, you have the black branch of the Mayfair clan that were just as interesting.

So when she was flying to New Orleans she was…getting off to her mom getting off? I know Rice is kinky but that was weird.

Hamlin’s accent is cringey.

I really want to like this but so far it has major CW vibes to me. I read four or five of the vampire books but none of the witch books so I don’t know what I’m missing. But I know what Rice is capable of.

Plus, a college buddy plays the bald guy on the phone in episode two (the psychic guy’s boss) so I want it to do well. He gave up a successful career to pursue acting and has had some small parts in Curb and other popular shows.

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It seems like the Dave Matthews clone they picked for Lasher is an odd choice. He’s apparently described as “a slim, pale, elegant figure with dark eyes and dark hair”

He's another species in the book, called Taltos.

If you enjoyed the vampire novels you'd really enjoy the Mayfair Witches books.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not a rip on the show per sey but is it just me or are the ads out of control.  Seems the ratio of show to ads is way off - substantially more than on other shows.

For an hour show I swear I am only getting 30 min of actual programming.

Edited by Duckman

On 1/29/2023 at 10:52 PM, notre dame joe said:

in for David Schweikart from Better Call Saul.  

I think you mean Richard?

8 hours ago, Duckman said:

Not a rip on the show per sey but is it just me or are the ads out of control.  Seems the ratio of show to ads is way off - substantially more than on other shows.

For an hour show I swear I am only getting 30 min of actual programming.

Are you seeing ads in this show?

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally got a chance to watch the most recent episode.

Holy Christ, this show is awful.  How can you take source material that's so very, very good and create....this?

Acting talent like Jack Huston going to waste, and I suppose Harry Hamlin, as well.  I thought he was really good on Mad Men, and when I was a kid I thought he was great on LA Law.

4 episodes in and they've really explained nothing at this point beyond Rowan's ability to psychically visualize your innards and kill you, and that she's the designee of the Mayfair legacy, but we don't really know anything about them or their history yet.  We've gotten no real explanation of Lasher and his history/purpose.  We've been introduced to the Talamasca with no background there either, really.

4+ hours and we've seen Rowan kill some people, Lasher just appearing here/there and being "mysterious," aunt Carlotta keeping Deirdre prisoner and then trying murder/suicide Rowan, and some flashbacks to a coven in Scotland.

What the fuck is the story here?

• Hook 'Em 1

I am genuinely impressed with how awful this is.

There is still no coherent plot.  It's a convoluted mess.

At this point I'm watching out of curiosity to see how bad it can actually get.

When the post-credits recap started with whatever-her-name-is, I thought, "I can't believe you're discussing this episode with a straight face."  It was incredible to me that somebody could speak about what we saw unfold on screen as if it could be seriously discussed.

"Dany kind of forgot about Euron and the Black Fleet" is much more enlightened commentary than anything that can be said about this...this....thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, Augustus said:

I guess I owe Derka an apology, because when he was blasting every episode of House of the Dragon, I asked him why on earth do you continue to watch something you clearly don't enjoy?

But here I am, unable to look away.

lead female is cute, that's about it. 

I don't need the subtitles for the olde scottish scenes, I need them for today's cajuns.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:35 AM, Augustus said:

I am genuinely impressed with how awful this is.

There is still no coherent plot.  It's a convoluted mess.

At this point I'm watching out of curiosity to see how bad it can actually get.

When the post-credits recap started with whatever-her-name-is, I thought, "I can't believe you're discussing this episode with a straight face."  It was incredible to me that somebody could speak about what we saw unfold on screen as if it could be seriously discussed.

"Dany kind of forgot about Euron and the Black Fleet" is much more enlightened commentary than anything that can be said about this...this....thing.

I feel the same.  I've read several Anne Rice books, including a couple in the Mayfair Witches series.  This series really does an injustice to her works.  None of her stories should take 4-5 episodes to get interesting - that equates to halfway through a book.  I think the Lasher/Mayfield women relationship is just too complex to slowly role out without a primer in the second episode.  

While the Interview with a Vampire series strays from the books in serious ways, the overall story is the same and it only took one or two episodes to get rolling.

• Hook 'Em 1

Aside from some of the names, the bears no resemblance to the books. AMC should be embarrassed. Christopher Rice should have protested.  How is everything so terrible? They even filmed some of it in New Orleans. Someone should have stopped this heresy at some point.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Dammit.  I love the book series and Daddario.  I haven’t watched any of the show, and this thread gives me a sad.  Is the “Interview” series any better?

It's a ton better than this disaster.

It stays closer to the general story in the novels, though it's set in what I took to be the 1920's.  And the nature of Lestat's relationship with Louis is reimagined as a romantic couple.  The vamps were pretty androgynous in the Interview novel, but she made some changes to that later on, even having Marius and (now I can't remember) have sex after both were vampires.  

Claudia is a bit older, as well.

I wasn't impressed with it.  But compared to this, it's the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I just started a re-watch of True Detective season one, so I'm looking forward to Daddario's world-class breasts on full display.  Didn't get anyof that in Mayfair, though they did amazing work in a couple of her dresses.

One of the only scenes in season 1 of White Lotus that gave me an out-loud chuckle was when the brat daughter and her friend were being snooty to Daddario at the poolside, and then Daddario pulls off her long t-shirt or whatever loose garment she was wearing to reveal her bikini-clad body, and the spoiled kid's jaw dropped a little bit and she just said, "......oh fuck"  or something like that.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2