80 for Brady

GoPokes83

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Who could ever tire of all the cuteness of older women having sexual urges and struggling to understand their changing world?

I will say that their surgeons are first-rate. Jane's face looks like a pretty mask.

Holy Shit! I didn’t realize that was Jane Fonda.

I was trying to figure out who they were, without clicking, I figured Sally Field and Lilly Tomlin. 

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Who could ever tire of all the cuteness of older women having sexual urges and struggling to understand their changing world?

I will say that their surgeons are first-rate. Jane's face looks like a pretty mask.

Jane’s face should be fired from the apparatus she sat on at the prison she joked and laughed while her fellow Americans were being tortured. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Jane’s face should be fired from the apparatus she sat on at the prison she joked and laughed while her fellow Americans were being tortured. 

In Hanoi, Fonda also met with seven American POWs and later said they asked her to tell their friends and family to support presidential candidate George McGovern; they feared they’d never be freed during a Richard Nixon administration. Rumors spread and still persist that she betrayed them by accepting secret notes and then turning them over to the North Vietnamese. The POWs who were there have denied that this ever occurred.

But the action that still enrages veterans most was that photograph of her with North Vietnamese troops on an antiaircraft gun that would have been used to shoot down American planes. This, probably more than anything, earned her the nickname “Hanoi Jane.”

You seem to have conflated two things on her tour.

She did, however, say the following back in the day:

“These men were bombing and strafing and napalming the country,” she said, according to an Associated Press report in April 1973, which quoted an interview she gave to KNBC-TV in Los Angeles. “If a prisoner tried to escape, it is quite understandable that he would probably be beaten and tortured.”

I think she's accurate in describing the rage of the North Vietnamese, but she is totally wrong to take up the role of apologist for cruelty to prisoners of war. 

I saw the movie she made with Tom Hayden in a campus auditorium in the 70s. She mainly struck me as naive to the point of embarrassment. One of the more interesting scenes is where she speaks with an NV journalist. He blames the US for a bloody, brutal war policy against his country (he's right) but not the people of the US. Fonda says it is the fault of the American people who voted for that government. The journalist sticks with his argument about how the American people would not support what is actually going on. He came off well.

Fonda was not supple enough of mind to realize the journalist actually shared her position about the war being accounted falsely in the US. She could have seized a moment to join with the guy and reaching out to Americans to understand that decent people like this man are under attack from the US.

The dumbest part of a movie full of dumbness, was Jane interviewing an NV peasant who had an M-16. She supposedly shot down an American jet with it. Dumb. Fonda harps on the irony of this little old woman shooting down an American plane with American bullets.

She's apologized although she was late with it. I think it's because she didn't want to even appear to step back from her anti-war stand and activities. Her big picture ideas were correct IMHO. Her small picture actions were ill-thought and deserving of scorn. But it's been a long time. Let it go.

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You seem to have conflated two things on her tour.

She did, however, say the following back in the day:

I think she's accurate in describing the rage of the North Vietnamese, but she is totally wrong to take up the role of apologist for cruelty to prisoners of war. 

I saw the movie she made with Tom Hayden in a campus auditorium in the 70s. She mainly struck me as naive to the point of embarrassment. One of the more interesting scenes is where she speaks with an NV journalist. He blames the US for a bloody, brutal war policy against his country (he's right) but not the people of the US. Fonda says it is the fault of the American people who voted for that government. The journalist sticks with his argument about how the American people would not support what is actually going on. He came off well.

Fonda was not supple enough of mind to realize the journalist actually shared her position about the war being accounted falsely in the US. She could have seized a moment to join with the guy and reaching out to Americans to understand that decent people like this man are under attack from the US.

The dumbest part of a movie full of dumbness, was Jane interviewing an NV peasant who had an M-16. She supposedly shot down an American jet with it. Dumb. Fonda harps on the irony of this little old woman shooting down an American plane with American bullets.

She's apologized although she was late with it. I think it's because she didn't want to even appear to step back from her anti-war stand and activities. Her big picture ideas were correct IMHO. Her small picture actions were ill-thought and deserving of scorn. But it's been a long time. Let it go.

Yeah…no.  My dad who served over there was spat on and what have you in an airport when he got home.  All for serving his country.  Like his dad did.   His dad who bombed his home country in a war.  That shit didn’t sit well with him, doesn’t sit well with him still, and won’t ever wit well with me.  She’s a piece shit that gets to hide behind the rubric of naïveté when she’s really just a piece of shit that jokes about how much she doesn’t care.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah…no.  My dad who served over there was spat on and what have you in an airport when he got home.  All for serving his country.  Like his dad did.   His dad who bombed his home country in a war.  That shit didn’t sit well with him, doesn’t sit well with him still, and won’t ever wit well with me.  She’s a piece shit that gets to hide behind the rubric of naïveté when she’s really just a piece of shit that jokes about how much she doesn’t care.   

I think you're embracing myths. She's not hiding behind naivete, that was my opinion.

The spitting on returning soldiers stories are unfounded.

Vietnam Veterans Against the War

About the author of the above and his book about same. A wiki excerpt:

The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory and the Legacy of Vietnam is a 1998 book by Vietnam veteran and sociology professor Jerry Lembcke. The book is an analysis of the widely believed narrative that American soldiers were spat upon and insulted by anti-war protesters upon returning home from the Vietnam War.[1] The book examines the origin of the earliest stories; the popularization of the "spat-upon image" through Hollywood films and other media, and the role of print news media in perpetuating the now iconic image through which the history of the war and anti-war movement has come to be represented.

Lembcke contrasts the absence of credible evidence of spitting by anti-war activists with the large body of evidence showing a mutually supportive, empathetic relationship between veterans and anti-war forces. The book also documents efforts of the Nixon Administration to drive a wedge between military servicemembers and the anti-war movement by portraying democratic dissent as a betrayal of the troops. Lembcke equates this disparagement of the anti-war movement and veterans with the similar stab-in-the-back myth propagated by Germany and France after their war defeats, as an alibi for why they lost the war.[2] Lembcke details the resurrection of the myth of the spat-upon veteran during subsequent Gulf War efforts as a way to silence public dissent.

I won't presume to speak for you or tell you why you think what you do. We have a toxic mythology that we are always the good guys fighting the bad guys. We'll plop a devastating war machine into a foreign country and actually claim we're doing it for their own good. It's childish.

This is not CR. Please have the last word. This is mine.

10 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Judging by the guys at my local VFW, unless she can somehow manage to outlive every Vietnam veteran it’s not going to be let go. Honestly I’m surprised none of them haven’t taken her out at some point.

You can throw my dad in that group.  

Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary commented on this.  Ms. Fonda was THE sex symbol a the time, and many/most of our guys had pinups of her in their tents.  Then she went over there and allowed herself to be Communist propaganda.  You can imagine their anger, and why they won't "Let it go."

ETA

I support my dad on this one.  

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Damn, Rita Moreno’s 91 years old! Hollywood is a weird place. She was pretty much forgotten until Spielberg remakes a shitty version of West Side Story. She catches all the press comparing her to the new Maria and folks remember her and get nostalgic. Revitalized her career and now she’s in a fairly big budget movie.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:36 AM, Longhornstampede said:

Can you please just shut the fuck up so we can get back to discussing the merits of still wanting to nail Sally Field?

That is what we were talking about, right?

You know how you've given Sally Field an orgasm?

Her hips crack. 

Judging by the guys at my local VFW, unless she can somehow manage to outlive every Vietnam veteran it’s not going to be let go. Honestly I’m surprised none of them haven’t taken her out at some point.

Fuck her. My father was a pretty even tempered officer. - two tours in Vietnam. His rage and hate for her was pretty palpable.