Utah father murders entire family and himself

Pancho

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Every single time we hear about one of these, the cops ignored multiple obvious warning signs.

....because they are functionally required to ignore them, by law.

If he hasn't committed a major crime yet, society has dictated that we should wait until he does.  Only then can we do something.  And yes, the idiocy of a "wait until it's too late" plan is apparently exactly how we want it.

Heaven forbid there by any mechanism, with appropriate legal checks and due process in place, to be able to reduce his ability to do harm.  What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!" don't you understand?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

....because they are functionally required to ignore them, by law.

If he hasn't committed a major crime yet, society has dictated that we should wait until he does.  Only then can we do something.  And yes, the idiocy of a "wait until it's too late" plan is apparently exactly how we want it.

Heaven forbid there by any mechanism, with appropriate legal checks and due process in place, to be able to reduce his ability to do harm.  What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!" don't you understand?

His daughter reported that he choked her. They didn't need Minority Report-style precogs to protect this asshole's family. They could've put his ass away for years for that alone. They didn't, because cops tend to think it's good for men to beat their wives and children.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Blotto said:

my favorite part about the jesus folk is when they say "Its not our place to judge him. That is god's providence, and he loves (insert evil shitstain here) very much." Fuck that. I'm completely comfortable judging him for the piece of shit that he is (was). 

But if someone had some dried plant material, judge them and judge them harshly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Tragic story all around.  Could it have been prevented?  Perhaps.  Is it happening more now than ever before?  I'm not sure.  In the 70's a very close family friend's brother shot and killed his three kids, his wife and then himself in Sharpstown.  In that case there was no recorded history of abuse or unusual behavior.  Sometimes, shit does happen.  

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Tragic story all around.  Could it have been prevented?  Perhaps.  Is it happening more now than ever before?  I'm not sure.  In the 70's a very close family friend's brother shot and killed his three kids, his wife and then himself in Sharpstown.  In that case there was no recorded history of abuse or unusual behavior.  Sometimes, shit does happen.  

What the fuck?

27 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

His daughter reported that he choked her. They didn't need Minority Report-style precogs to protect this asshole's family. They could've put his ass away for years for that alone. They didn't, because cops tend to think it's good for men to beat their wives and children.

PROUD BOYS, PROTECTORS OF CHILDREN, ASSEMBLE PROTEST FORMATION!

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Yeah but in this case there WAS a recorded history of abuse or unusual activity. This isn't a hurricane suddenly wiping out a family, this was the calculated action of a criminal whose violent and abusive tendencies were already known by authorities.

If you let a known bank robber into a vault it isn't "shit happening" when they make off with the cash inside.

• Hook 'Em 3

WRT the obit- I’m sure it was his side of the family that wrote it. If they were Mormons, her side probably wouldn’t counter, because I think they believe that the man creates an afterlife world, and “calls” his wife to it. If he doesn’t call,….

(I read that in an old Dallas Observer, so please chime in if I got it wrong). 

Thankfully we know exactly what no intervention whatsoever leads to.  JFC. 

A little of something is better than nothing. 

10 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

A tragedy that we all wish could go away. Ahh if it were just a perfect world. The amount of intervention in your life to reduce things such as this to zero, well, be careful what you wish for.

12 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

A tragedy that we all wish could go away. Ahh if it were just a perfect world. The amount of intervention in your life to reduce things such as this to zero, well, be careful what you wish for.

This. Shit just happens sometimes. Same way that you can never reduce car accident deaths to zero, so it’s stupid to have air bags or seatbelts or speed limits. And it’s pretty shitty that a man who lived a life of service to God and his family is getting dragged through the mud for making one  six mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Or sometimes there a fucking signs and attempts at raising the issue to authorities from the abused family and it goes nowhere until one day they are all shot by a righteous service minded wonderful guy.

Yep.  That's why I said perhaps it could have been prevented.  But in the case I mentioned, despite what the "experts" in this thread think, there was no warning.  

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but in this case there WAS a recorded history of abuse or unusual activity. This isn't a hurricane suddenly wiping out a family, this was the calculated action of a criminal whose violent and abusive tendencies were already known by authorities.

If you let a known bank robber into a vault it isn't "shit happening" when they make off with the cash inside.

Agreed.  But in the case I mentioned there was no history.

35 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Probably another case of the cops saying "nothing to see here....Just a little misunderstanding. Ooooh look! A black guy walking down the street after sundown. He MUST be up to something. C'mere boahy I need to have a word with you.... "

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Sure there's a line, but I'm pretty sure intervening when a father chokes his teenage daughter isn't crossing it.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is a strange message from the victim's family (the wife and her mother's family). So are they saying the wife, her mom, and her kids were killed because she didn't have access to guns? Also I love when batshit crazy religious people list "freedom" as a tenet of their religion, as if God himself ordained that you should have the right/freedom to bear arms. Fucking crazy people deserve each other.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/01/read-earl-family-issues-statement-following-shooting-deaths-of-grandmother-daughter-and-5-children/

The following is a statement from the Boyd and Gail Earl family. Gail Earl and her daughter Tausha Haight, along with Haight’s five children, were shot and killed in their Enoch, Utah home this week. You can read more about the incident here.

As we try to make sense of this unthinkable tragedy we wish to express our gratitude for the outpouring of prayers, love, kindness and support. It is during times like these that our thoughts are drawn towards a loving and all knowing God who created a beautiful plan of salvation that extends far beyond the mortal loss of those most precious to us. The hurt and humility felt through these experiences only serves to draw us closer to Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and to express our overwhelming gratitude for his infinite, beautiful and powerful atonement. We invite all to seek the peace that can only be found through Him.

We wish to express our sincere appreciation for law enforcement, first responders, medical examiners, ecclesiastical leaders and all who have participated in this process. We hope the honor of your service is reciprocated. Thank you, we love you for the difficult service you render to communities.

We recognize heartbreak extends beyond our family and friends and is shared by neighbors, classmates and community. We express our love and appreciation to the people of Enoch for their warmth and love towards this beautiful family. We know that some may struggle with this insensible loss. It is our hope that any who need support, find the strength to reach out for appropriate help.

We would caution media outlets and the public at large about using our family’s story for any advocacy of political agendas. Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible. It is our desire that the media turn their attention to the weightier matters surrounding this event. In place of political advocacy, we would encourage reporting about the value of all human life, the great works of God that can render a forgiving heart, how religion can heal and enlarge our capacity for love, and a return to foundational principles of peace within our nation. The reality is this tragedy serves as a call to the memory of God, religion, freedom, peace, and family and the efforts that are required to maintain those freedoms.

Details of funeral plans will be released as they are finalized. We ask for patience, understanding and respect of privacy. A GoFundMe account has been started for those who wish to assist with funeral arrangements and restoration efforts.

Warmly,

Boyd and Gail Earl Family

Our attorneys tell us we need to put this disclaimer in stories involving fundraisers: EastIdahoNews.com does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries.

Edited by crash_davis

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

So are they saying the wife, her mom, and her kids were killed because she didn't have access to guns?

Yes. The wife probably knew the husband was dangerous and got rid of some of the guns in the house (thus the “protective arms” description and not “all guns”- maybe just the rifles/shotguns?) It seems desperate and strange. Like so determined to advance the lies that more guns in the home would reduce gun accidents or homicides- even though your family just died. Maybe just shut up for a fucking minute and grieve before putting your ignorant BS out there

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

how else is a man to assert his alpha status?

2 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

I mean this man was devout father, husband, had faith etc.

He just did a minor transgression, I am sure all is forgiven in the afterlife cause he BELIEVED. He wasn’t canceled by anyone 

16.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is a strange message from the victim's family (the wife and her mother's family). So are they saying the wife, her mom, and her kids were killed because she didn't have access to guns? Also I love when batshit crazy religious people list "freedom" as a tenet of their religion, as if God himself ordained that you should have the right/freedom to bear arms. Fucking crazy people deserve each other.

It was one of the original 15 commandments.

mel-brooks-moses.gif

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

my favorite part about the jesus folk is when they say "Its not our place to judge him. That is god's providence, and he loves (insert evil shitstain here) very much." Fuck that. I'm completely comfortable judging him for the piece of shit that he is (was). 

Don’t judge the family killing man because we aren’t God and then 7 seconds later they go off on how queers are going straight to hell. What a world. 

Edited by Clintonaldo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

This is the one story that I felt “now is not the time” that right wingers always do when people discuss guns after a mass shooting.  I had the same reaction to that nutty write up from family hating on media and loving guns that y’all did.  But I’m going to spare some kind thoughts for them anyway and not judge them for being way out of bounds right after a mass murder happened to relatives.