Utah father murders entire family and himself

Pancho

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

This is the one story that I felt “now is not the time” that right wingers always do when people discuss guns after a mass shooting.  I had the same reaction to that nutty write up from family hating on media and loving guns that y’all did.  But I’m going to spare some kind thoughts for them anyway and not judge them for being way out of bounds right after a mass murder happened to relatives. 

So thoughts and prayers it is.

I keed

2 hours ago, statsman said:

WRT the obit- I’m sure it was his side of the family that wrote it. If they were Mormons, her side probably wouldn’t counter, because I think they believe that the man creates an afterlife world, and “calls” his wife to it. If he doesn’t call,….

(I read that in an old Dallas Observer, so please chime in if I got it wrong). 

I'm going to give a little bit of latitude on the obituary.  I'm sure it was his family who placed the obit, and I'm sure it was at the suggestion of the funeral home.

In my (happily limited) experience, the funeral home arranges the obituary.  It's part of their standard checklist.  And I suspect a small-town Utah funeral home doesn't have a "Playbook for Guy Who Killed His Family."  So they just ran the standard playbook, which includes placing an obituary with somewhat standard language.

And if you're the family of the murderer and you're still in shock over the fact that not only is your son/brother dead, but also his entire family and he is the murderer, then you're probably not thinking very clearly about what should or shouldn't go into an obit, or if one should even be placed.

So, bottom line, I think this is waaaaay down the list of things people ought to be talking about in this situation.  And to the extent anybody wants to talk about it, maybe the first person we ought to be talking about is the clueless fucking undertaker.  And don't spare the newspaper, either, who didn't think to suggest to the family, "uhhh--maybe let's sit on this obit for a few days."

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

This is a strange message from the victim's family (the wife and her mother's family). So are they saying the wife, her mom, and her kids were killed because she didn't have access to guns? Also I love when batshit crazy religious people list "freedom" as a tenet of their religion, as if God himself ordained that you should have the right/freedom to bear arms. Fucking crazy people deserve each other.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/01/read-earl-family-issues-statement-following-shooting-deaths-of-grandmother-daughter-and-5-children/

The following is a statement from the Boyd and Gail Earl family. Gail Earl and her daughter Tausha Haight, along with Haight’s five children, were shot and killed in their Enoch, Utah home this week. You can read more about the incident here.

As we try to make sense of this unthinkable tragedy we wish to express our gratitude for the outpouring of prayers, love, kindness and support. It is during times like these that our thoughts are drawn towards a loving and all knowing God who created a beautiful plan of salvation that extends far beyond the mortal loss of those most precious to us. The hurt and humility felt through these experiences only serves to draw us closer to Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and to express our overwhelming gratitude for his infinite, beautiful and powerful atonement. We invite all to seek the peace that can only be found through Him.

We wish to express our sincere appreciation for law enforcement, first responders, medical examiners, ecclesiastical leaders and all who have participated in this process. We hope the honor of your service is reciprocated. Thank you, we love you for the difficult service you render to communities.

We recognize heartbreak extends beyond our family and friends and is shared by neighbors, classmates and community. We express our love and appreciation to the people of Enoch for their warmth and love towards this beautiful family. We know that some may struggle with this insensible loss. It is our hope that any who need support, find the strength to reach out for appropriate help.

We would caution media outlets and the public at large about using our family’s story for any advocacy of political agendas. Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible. It is our desire that the media turn their attention to the weightier matters surrounding this event. In place of political advocacy, we would encourage reporting about the value of all human life, the great works of God that can render a forgiving heart, how religion can heal and enlarge our capacity for love, and a return to foundational principles of peace within our nation. The reality is this tragedy serves as a call to the memory of God, religion, freedom, peace, and family and the efforts that are required to maintain those freedoms.

Details of funeral plans will be released as they are finalized. We ask for patience, understanding and respect of privacy. A GoFundMe account has been started for those who wish to assist with funeral arrangements and restoration efforts.

Warmly,

Boyd and Gail Earl Family

Our attorneys tell us we need to put this disclaimer in stories involving fundraisers: EastIdahoNews.com does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries.

I get the sentiment.

If I were to die of Covid, I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of lunatics running around using my death to say "see--vaccines DON'T WORK!"  So I don't think it's wrong or misplaced to say "please don't use our loved ones' deaths to forward your political agenda."

*****BUT*****

I think it's completely absurd and mildly reprehensible to say "please don't use our family's story for any advocacy of political agendas" and then in the very next fucking sentence advance a fucking pro-gun political agenda.

When you do that, you're a hypocrite and I figure that you can just fuck all the way off.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Her having access to a handgun is now the sticking point?  If the guy had the twisted will and mindset to murder his own family, I'm gonna go out on a wild limb and assume he probably could also have had the occasion to hide/dispose of/disarm any opposing handguns in the household.  

If you're about to go on a murder spree of people you love, and the only thing standing between your sick rampage and your God-ordained liberty, is simply relocating a pistol to a hiding spot in the garage.....I'm guessing you can make that happen in the name of your Freedoms!  

We are the stupidest fucking country some days.

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Well it is Utah which is full of Mormons whose religion isn't all that kind to women. 

Based on what, misinformed stereotypes?

8 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

I mean this man was devout father, husband, had faith etc.

He just did a minor transgression, I am sure all is forgiven in the afterlife cause he BELIEVED. He wasn’t canceled by anyone 

Nothing minor about what he did was minor and I think you'd find that pretty much all LDS would agree that what this man did was anything BUT minor.  

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

how else is a man to assert his alpha status?

By respecting and honoring the divine nature of women rather then objectifying, degrading or abusing them ( or in this case, murdering them)?

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Or sometimes there a fucking signs and attempts at raising the issue to authorities from the abused family and it goes nowhere until one day they are all shot by a righteous service minded wonderful guy.

Nothing righteous or in line with the LDS faith about what this man did.  And most LDS would agree with me that this man murdered his family and should have never had a gun in his possession.  

7 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yeah the odds of no prior violence or other signs of danger before murdering multiple family members then suicide are fucking zero. 

We need a national red flag law, and law enforcement to take this shit seriously. I mean we probably need more than that but it’d be a start

Agreed.  How many times do we have to let these types of situations happen before we wake up and realize that red flag laws will save lives?

7 hours ago, statsman said:

WRT the obit- I’m sure it was his side of the family that wrote it. If they were Mormons, her side probably wouldn’t counter, because I think they believe that the man creates an afterlife world, and “calls” his wife to it. If he doesn’t call,….

(I read that in an old Dallas Observer, so please chime in if I got it wrong). 

That's ludicruous, Mormons (aka LDS) don't believe in that.  They teach that man has no more (less) control over a woman's salvation then she has on her own.  

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

This is the one story that I felt “now is not the time” that right wingers always do when people discuss guns after a mass shooting.  I had the same reaction to that nutty write up from family hating on media and loving guns that y’all did.  But I’m going to spare some kind thoughts for them anyway and not judge them for being way out of bounds right after a mass murder happened to relatives. 

No one loved guns more than Joseph Smith.  Except maybe Jesus!

• Haha 1