Impending Router Failure

I have never had a router outright fail.  I have gotten to the state where reboots were necessary to insure good connections to devices.  It seems like inability to serve up a good signal to devices is more indicative of failure than a bad connection to the ISP gateway.  But wtf do I know.

I have had a number of wonky internet instances the last couple of days.  To me, it looks like ISP cloggage, but I could be wrong.  Devices connect to the router (mesh system, so satellites) 5x5, easily and strong, but the intergoogles will grind to a halt.

On a couple of occasions, reconnecting to the router (either turning off device wifi or disconnecting/reconnecting) restores it.  Other times I get "connected no internet."  It usually returns after a while (five minutes) and a ping seems to help unstick it some.

Router software indicates everything good, with 5G backhaul (wireless).

Spectrum, which actually is usually pretty good around here, reports no problems and says the connection to my modem is good.

The router is a Netgear Orbi 10 series (RBR10, RSR10) that I have been reasonably happy with.  It's maybe a year and a half old, but an older device on purchase.

Doesn't help you but I got rid of my Orbi's (RBK50s) for similar issues that were all tied to firmware issues. Would work great with updates or resets for awhile and they start again. I finally got tired of it.  Quick google search finds a lot of people with similar Orbi issues.  With Orbi people tend to fall into either - its been rock solid, never had to touch it ever camp or the it goes out every 6 months or so without fail camp.

I since used Google's mesh and Eero mesh and both have fallen into the "haven't had to touch it since I installed it" camp.

• Hook 'Em 1

Once you get it working again establish a baseline. From the command-line do "ping -t 1.1.1.1" so you can get a measure of latency and any packet loss. There should not be any. You can also have your ISP run an intrusive stress test on your line. 

Do some speedtests https://www.speedtest.net/tr to determine throughput. You want to see consistency here.

I know this is redundant but update the firmware if you can.

Google fiber mesh has been golden for me. Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, Thursday's incident was the last after a string of intermittent weirdness over several days last week.  In the meantime, I did power-off reboot not only the router but the satellites.  So maybe it's ok and it was the ISP.  It has been solid for nearly two years.