Amazon ending the "Amazon Smile" charity effective Feb 20

AUS-97HORN

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

At least that will save us from that occasional frustration when we discover after the fact that we used the regular site on accident. 

So many times. Shouldn't they just have let us opt in? I'd always forget to switch over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a feeling the vast majority of organizations were probably one or two people who thought it’d act like an affiliate program for them.   Or the organizations got in and then didn’t do enough to promote it to their followers.  

It sucks. They’ve still got wishlists and a few other ways organizations can benefit.  

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

I cancelled Amazon last fall.  Price kept going up and I realized all their shows were dad TV trash.  Felt real good.  And it turns out, of you order enough and are patient for slower shipping, they ship it free anyway.

I think the algorithm assumed you wanted dad trash tv based on your shopping and web browsing profile and pushed it forward for you.  Plenty of great content on there that doesn't fit that profile.  I still don't think cancelling was a bad idea, though.

• Like 1

I used to be involved with a non-profit and this will kinda suck for them.  We had some cash flow from the Randalls card, but it was declining along with Randalls.  The Smile proceeds were a hockey stick during COVID and they had already replaced our Randalls revenue and were becoming significant.

It was easy revenue compared with other fundraisers.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

At my previous gig we would collect money & buy Christmas gifts for a couple dozen Helping Hand Home kids every year.  That's an awesome place.

Many many years ago, my daughters went to Lee Elementary. They became friends with some of the foster girls from Helping Hands. It was sad because eventually the kids would stop attending Lee. Never heard reasons why.

After getting to know the kids, you just want to help that place. The kids so want to be part of a normal family. It's heartbreaking to see how wonderful they are. It's sad to see that didn't have much of a chance or say in their situation. I get sad thinking about some of my daughter's friends, wondering where they are now.

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children has been my designated charity since I found out about Smile. This sucks. How about you quit with the penis rocket shit and give that money away instead?

Same. Just logged in to check. This is not a ton of money for an organization like TSRH, but it's not completely insignificant either.

Your current charity
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
has received

$36,207.22
as of November 2022

Edited by HamsterHookah