Texas vs. Arkansas - College World Series

Both Tacos

53 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, 7 of these 8 teams are going home with a loss, ending their season.  Only one winner, and all of the losing teams will not feel good about it.  

Yeah, but as a few have said, we're not really on the same level as 4-5 of these teams anyway.  Not ruling out the upset, but we have decent hitting, but not NEARLY the pitching to get us through against these good teams.  Today showed that more than anything. 

I think we have a better chance against Tech than Florida, but neither is a great chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Baseball: 

Texas 74-36 

Football: 

Texas 56-22

They've certainly had our number in recent years, but they've far from dominated Texas. 

Never take anything seriously that's posted by that idiot.

16 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, but as a few have said, we're not really on the same level as 4-5 of these teams anyway.  Not ruling out the upset, but we have decent hitting, but not NEARLY the pitching to get us through against these good teams.  Today showed that more than anything. 

I think we have a better chance against Tech than Florida, but neither is a great chance.

We definitely want Tech. We can probably score some runs against Tech's pitching staff. 

19 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

We really have neither the pitching nor the hitting, but the pitching has been extraordinarily good until today.  I was wrong, earlier, Tech actually has the worst team ERA at 4.40.  We went back up to 4.21 today.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I walked by the Texas team bus as they were unloading at the hotel.  I gave them the Hook Em and told them to keep their heads up.  Then I got handed a free ticket to tonight's game, so I may grab a shower and head back to the ballpark.

Is the team at the Hilton behind cf? Flying up tomorrow and have a happy hour at that hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We really have neither the pitching nor the hitting, but the pitching has been extraordinarily good until today.

We aren't an elite hitting team by any means but 49th in the country in slugging percentage. I think some worry too much about batting average in today's game. it's all about slugging percentage. Pierce has even said as much in several press conferences/interviews. 

Compare that with 178th, `138th, 137th, 173rd, 212th the previous 5 years. We are much better hitting team this year than we've been the past 5 years. 

Still not good enough but I think we are actually a decent hitting team. The bats have been a little cold in the postseason. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

https://texas.rivals.com/news/the-main-takeaways-from-david-pierce-s-introduction

"During Pierce’s two seasons at Tulane, the Green Wave elevated its slugging percentage from .347 to .423."

"will try to put an extra emphasis on guys that can rack up the extra-base-hits."

This is what to watch for in terms of hitting. This is what Pierce wants more than guys who can hit for average. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

We really have neither the pitching nor the hitting, but the pitching has been extraordinarily good until today.  I was wrong, earlier, Tech actually has the worst team ERA at 4.40.  We went back up to 4.21 today.

What Tech does have is WS experience from last year.  It's showing now.  Florida is a great team, but Tech is just playing with more confidence.  Florida looks tight.
We only have 2 guys (I think) who've been before this year.   Big factor.

That said, I think Florida is going to come out insane on Tues.  Don't like our chances, but nothing to lose.

9 hours ago, petscii said:

I want Florida sooner rather than later.  We know we can beat tech.  If we can knock out Florida and Tech can send piggy to the losers bracket we got this.

Sounds defeatist to suggest we're totally playing with house money in Omaha this year, but we are. Anything positive we do (including playing a better team quite competitively) is a plus going forward. I realize "we're Texas" and all, but we've massively overachieved this season. I really want at least one win before we get knocked out, obviously...but we should be able to build off what we've already done. 

Florida is somewhat lucky to have staved off Auburn in the supers. I don't think they'll win the title, though they clearly have some elite talent.

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Poor recruiting for it and lack of emphasis in coaching.  I have also heard that we were way behind the curve in things like video swing analysis and high tech-type stuff.

Understood during Tech game they aren't into a lot of technical stuff. They damn sure knock the shit out of the ball. They can hit.

I'm behind . Point may have already been made.

9 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Sounds defeatist to suggest we're totally playing with house money in Omaha this year, but we are. Anything positive we do (including playing a better team quite competitively) is a plus going forward. I realize "we're Texas" and all, but we've massively overachieved this season. I really want at least one win before we get knocked out, obviously...but we should be able to build off what we've already done. 

Florida is somewhat lucky to have staved off Auburn in the supers. I don't think they'll win the title, though they clearly have some elite talent.

We were projected to finish 3rd in the Big 12 Preseason Coaches' Poll. We were projected to be a 2 seed in the Dallas Baptist regional by D1 baseball before the year started. 

We're definitely playing with house money. Nobody expected this team to win the Big 12, host a regional, or make the CWS. 

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing moving forward for the team. They should be loose and have a nothing to lose mindset. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Does A&M really hold the record for the most 0-2/BBQ trips to Omaha?  

They have only been there six times and gone 0-2 four of those times, right? Surely 4 is not the record.

This got me curious so I started researching it. I’m not finished yet, but I can say for certain that aggy does not hold the record. Colorado State College (now known as Northern Colorado) has appeared in the CWS 10 times and gone 0-2 in seven of those appearances.

10 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This got me curious so I started researching it. I’m not finished yet, but I can say for certain that aggy does not hold the record. Colorado State College (now known as Northern Colorado) has appeared in the CWS 10 times and gone 0-2 in seven of those appearances.

Mark another one for the title wall

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At least they’re consistent. Wonder what they did wrong the other 3 times.