My kid's teacher don't know no math!

ohchaucer

20,21 and 41 is one more than 2x21. It makes zero sense to write it out that way but technically you could argue the facts are correct because it just says one number not one of the variable. It is just not solvable in the way it is written as there would be too many variables. Teacher is dumb.
You really need to show your work.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

20,21 and 41 is one more than 2x21. It makes zero sense to write it out that way but technically you could argue the facts are correct because it just says one number not one of the variable. It is just not solvable in the way it is written as there would be too many variables. Teacher is dumb.

41 is definitely not one more than 2x21. @Brew

Semi-related thought this made me think of. For those of y'all with kids, especially those in earlier grades, doesn't it piss you off when they grade homework? If the kid does it on their own (which is what would determine how well they are progressing) they're probably going to miss a few. But, knowing this, many parents will help their kids out to ensure that they score 100. But that entirely defeats the purpose of grading the homework. They're just grading the parents at that point, not the kid. And the kids that don't have parents willing/able to help them receive lower grades, even though they may actually be smarter than many of their peers. First, that really sucks for those other kids. But more importantly, it means I have to do homework every fucking night, and my kid's teacher doesn't get as good of a feel as to where my kids need extra focus. Ok, rant over. Shit just pisses me off. 

• Like 1

Second question should have been:

2. The sum of two numbers is 41. One number is one LESS than twice the other.  Find the others. 

Parent tip: you will always be able to google the question and get the answer in today's word. Kids are cheaters... internet cheaters...the math answers will always be available

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Semi-related thought this made me think of. For those of y'all with kids, especially those in earlier grades, doesn't it piss you off when they grade homework? If the kid does it on their own (which is what would determine how well they are progressing) they're probably going to miss a few. But, knowing this, many parents will help their kids out to ensure that they score 100. But that entirely defeats the purpose of grading the homework. They're just grading the parents at that point, not the kid. And the kids that don't have parents willing/able to help them receive lower grades, even though they may actually be smarter than many of their peers. First, that really sucks for those other kids. But more importantly, it means I have to do homework every fucking night, and my kid's teacher doesn't get as good of a feel as to where my kids need extra focus. Ok, rant over. Shit just pisses me off. 

post should go in “am I the asshole” thread

1) the amount of time kids get 1-1 instruction in public school alone is not nearly enough. Suck it up 

2) teachers aren’t perfect and you might be able to correct something being taught, or maybe you can convey it in a way your child understand better.  

3) it gives you a chance to identify the teacher’s, the curriculum’s, and your child’s deficiencies so that they can be addressed. 
4) there will be a day you will miss your little boy/girl asking your for help on their homework 

in short, quit bitching and enjoy the moment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

1) the amount of time kids get 1-1 instruction in public school alone is not nearly enough. Suck it up 

2) teachers aren’t perfect and you might be able to correct something being taught, or maybe you can convey it in a way your child understand better.  

3) it gives you a chance to identify the teacher’s, the curriculum’s, and your child’s deficiencies so that they can be addressed. 
4) there will be a day you will miss your little boy/girl asking your for help on their homework 

You're not wrong but you're not right either. A system that favors kids with parents willing and able to assist in the process is not a fair way to evaluate the students individually. 

Edited by SilasCoade

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Other than spending time with the kid, your response has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my post

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Other than spending time with the kid, your response has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my post

Yes it does. You’re just looking to be justified about bitching about what is required to be a responsible parent.  God forbid the teachers do something that makes the parents feel like they have to get involved. If you are doing the homework for the kid you’re doing it wrong. 

5 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

There are other ways to determine ones progress in a subject other than homework.  Kids actually go to class and converse with the teachers about the things they are learning.  They don't need homework to tell them who is getting it.  To your overall point, yes a kid who has parents taking an actual initiative in their child's education is how it's supposed to be.  If you ever have kids, you'll know they are going to learn a lot more from you than any teacher.  A parent doing their kids homework for them serves no point, a parent teaching their kids at home does.

Quick update. Got an email from the teacher yesterday that there was indeed a typo in that question 2 and she appreciated how much people are supporting the kids and classes (apparently across the four third grade classes who all get the same math challenges, several parents pointed out the issue).

I respect the hell out of her and our whole group of teachers (we moved to our town at least half because of the renown of its schools). And I think, overall, teaching is the noblest and least appreciated job in our struggling society.

But I’ll admit I was secretly thrilled to be vindicated.

(I should probably get out more.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Okay new one.

Half an hour ago, it was twice as long after noon as it is now until midnight. What time is it now?

I know the answer that she will consider correct, but again the language is problematic. Specifically, the first use of the word “now” makes the “correct” answer incorrect.

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Okay new one.

Half an hour ago, it was twice as long after noon as it is now until midnight. What time is it now?

I know the answer that she will consider correct, but again the language is problematic. Specifically, the first use of the word “now” makes the “correct” answer incorrect.

(T - 0:30) - 12:00 = (24:00 - T) * 2

T - 12:30 = 48:00 - 2T

3T = 60:30

T = 20:10

Half hour before T = 19:40

Time from then to noon was 7:40

Half of 7:40 is 3:50

Time from 20:10 to midnight is 3:50

QED

If my youngest had this homework this would be his answer (everything is ChatGPT now....):

Let's start by defining some variables to represent the different times mentioned in the problem:

• Let "x" be the number of hours after noon (i.e., between 12:00 pm and the current time).
  • Let "y" be the number of hours until midnight (i.e., between the current time and 12:00 am).

From the problem statement, we know that:

• "Half an hour ago" the time was x - 0.5 (since we're assuming the problem is being asked at the current time).
  • "It was twice as long after noon as it is now until midnight" means that:

x - 0.5 = 2y

Solving for y, we get:

y = (x - 0.5) / 2

We also know that the sum of x and y should be 12 (since we're dealing with the time between noon and midnight). So we can write:

x + y = 12

Substituting the expression for y that we just found, we get:

x + (x - 0.5) / 2 = 12

Multiplying both sides by 2, we get:

2x + x - 0.5 = 24

Combining like terms, we get:

3x = 24.5

Dividing both sides by 3, we get:

x = 8.166666...

Since x represents the number of hours after noon, we can convert this to a time by adding it to 12:00 pm. So the current time is:

12:00 pm + 8.166666... hours = 8:10 pm (rounded to the nearest minute)