Post-Beard Game 5: Texas @ WV, 5pm, ESPN

Js1

When officiated fairly this team scores so efficiently. When opposing guards are allowed to hand check without remorse on the perimeter and bigs are allowed to push are guys that is when the offense starts to stagnant. 

2 FTA in the 1st half, 17 in the 1st 2nd half. Still, Allen was a no show, and fouls kept Rice on the bench in the 1st half.

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The FR aren't ready for this level of play. Terry won this game by keeping both of them on the bench for almost the entire 2nd half. 

They are low IQ basketball players with little offensive game. If either declares for the draft you just have to laugh at their stupidity. At this point, we might as well get the other 2 freshmen some playing time. Hell, I'd give some of Cunningham's minutes to Anamekwe. Brock's offensive skill is so awful. That play midway through the 2nd half when Texas was on the break and he just ran down the middle of the court and then right into Carr who was driving tells me he hasn't learned jackshit in regards to how to run a break and offensive spacing. We have two guys that can play consistently above the rim, why not try another kid that can.

Edited by HtownHorn

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They are low IQ basketball players with little offensive game. If either declares for the draft you just have to laugh at their stupidity. At this point, we might as well get the other 2 freshmen some playing time. Hell, I'd give some of Cunningham's minutes to Anamekwe. Brock's offensive skill is so awful. That play midway through the 2nd half when Texas was on the break and he just ran down the middle of the court and then right into Carr who was driving tells me he hasn't learned jackshit in regards to how to run a break and offensive spacing. We have two guys that can play consistently above the rim, why not try another kid that can.

I don't mind Cunningham. He has his obvious limitations but he's a much better player than Mitchell is right now. Obviously, Mitchell has the higher ceiling. 

I thought Mitchell was for sure gone early in the season but I don't see it now. He has no offensive game other than hitting the offensive boards. His defense has also regressed a good bit. They had Mitchell on Tre Mitchell in the 1st half and it didn't go well. The more experienced players shut down Tre Mitchell in the 2nd half. 

MItchell is having a tough time handling the physicality of the Big 12 (not surprising). This isn't the league for FR to learn how to play. 

Terry has to figure out a way to get Hunter going again. Hydrate him up, play him 35 minutes and tell the other players to get him 30+ points. Don’t care if he has to put up 40 shots to get there and we lose the game.  

This team can possibly get to the Sweet 16 without him, but no way we go farther than that. He needs to play like the best player on the team - and he is capable of it.

23 hours ago, HookEm said:

Hydrate him up, play him 35 minutes and tell the other players to get him 30+ points. Don’t care if he has to put up 40 shots to get there and we lose the game.  

I have a better solution: he can sit on the fucking bench until he feels like stepping his game up. 

He’s not wrong. The offense has regressed back to relying on Marcus to make the offense go. It’s not Marcus, his improvement and efficiency are up..as are his minutes. It’s the rest of the team. 

No one else besides Rice looks comfortable/confident on offense (especially Hunter). The team needs some time to gain some confidence with Marcus off the floor for us to get some guys back on track. 

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He’s not wrong. The offense has regressed back to relying on Marcus to make the offense go. It’s not Marcus, his improvement and efficiency are up..as are his minutes. It’s the rest of the team. 

No one else besides Rice looks comfortable/confident on offense (especially Hunter). The team needs some time to gain some confidence with Marcus off the floor for us to get some guys back on track. 

We are 5-2 in the B12. We aren't going to punt games to let a dude slashing 40/30 take full control of the offense. That's moronic. Carr is one of the best players in the B12 right now - there is nothing wrong with the offense running through him. It's up to Tyrese to figure out how to contribute on his own and lighten Carr's load. 

We don't need Tyrese to be the best player on the team - we already have a guy playing fantastic basketball in that role. We need Tyrese to be more engaged on both ends of the floor and start hitting wide open 3s. 

• Like 1

To me, the more important conversation is Mitchell. 

Hunter hasn't been good but he can at least do some positive things even when he's struggling. Mitchell was -4 against WV and he was the only starter in the negative. Mitchell is a net negative for the team right now. 

Anything over 10 minutes a game for Mitchell right now isn't ideal. He probably wouldn't have played as many minutes against WV if not for foul trouble in the 1st half. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

To me, the more important conversation is Mitchell. 

Hunter hasn't been good but he can at least do some positive things even when he's struggling. Mitchell was -4 against WV and he was the only starter in the negative. Mitchell is a net negative for the team right now. 

Anything over 10 minutes a game for Mitchell right now isn't ideal. He probably wouldn't have played as many minutes against WV if not for foul trouble in the 1st half. 

I feel bad for him and Arterio more so than the other guys. Hunter a little bit as well as he's in his 2nd season. I think Beard getting canned after 10 games has fucked up their development to a degree - and I wouldn't be surprised if they're distracted with thinking ahead to next year - whether that's transferring or declaring for the draft. 

It's a lot to ask of any 19 year old with zero college experience to keep trucking through a situation like this. They didn't sign up to play for Terry and haven't had multiple coaches at multiple stops like the rest of these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What Beard did a good job of with Mitchell is there was a lot more action with him running to the rim. 

Right now Mitchell is doing too much on the perimeter and in the mid range. He can't do anything there. Need more backdoor cuts to the rim where you can throw him lobs and let him use his athleticism. 

When I see Mitchell catch the ball in the mid range I almost immediately cringe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

Even though Hunter is in a slump, he is still much more efficient on the season than he was last year. He has higher FG%, 3P%, FT% and significantly lower turnovers.  

image.png.b3e0a755fc3c8797057e4cf4a6943913.png

"Much more" is a stretch. But yes, he's shown some improvement %s wise from 3 and the line. 

His turnovers are lower but so are his assists and his steals are less than half. 

He isn't like - the worst college player of all time - it's just disappointing because I think he could be a good bit better. Carr is blowing him out of the water in every metric save boards. You'd like a bit more of a 1-2 punch from them.