Cowboys @ Niners: NFC Divisional Round

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

I agree with everyone; Dak sucks.

Okay.

But why are we so convinced the story is over? Can't people get better? Can't Dak put in more work to study the offense and the reads and defenses? Can't he work out and get in better shape for his athleticism? Can't he do drills and work tirelessly on his accuracy? 

Geno Smith is not walking through that door...

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Always needed to win the turnover battle to win.

not directed at you, because that statement has been a boring, unoriginal staple used in sports for at least 40 years now..

holy shit i cringe when i see or hear it. it's just a lazy ass cliche

the only time i like reading or hearing cliches is when i'm watching bull durham

1812192634_bulldurham.thumb.jpg.b1fb422f01f9740fc49e31a54d4503f3.jpg

Edited by redswingline

2 minutes ago, redswingline said:

not directed at you, because that statement has been a boring, unoriginal staple used in sports for at least 40 years now..

but holy shit i cringe when i see or hear it. it's just a lazy ass, meaningless fucking thing to say.

if we scored more points, we would have won

if we played better, we would have won

this is a game of inches

water is wet

fuck

It might be boring and unoriginal but it's 100% applicable to yesterday's game. Dak's first pick gave SF a short field and FG. The second came with the game tied 6-6 and the Cowboys driving for a potential FG (yeah, Maher -- I know). At a minimum, the Cowboys almost certainly run out the clock. Instead, the Niners stole a FG for a 9-6 halftime lead. That's a nine-point swing in a game decided by seven points.

• Hook 'Em 9

our stupid ass GM decided to give a RB a ridculous contract and a good QB a "great" QB contract and therefore doesn't have(or want to spend) the money to put the pieces around "Kirk Cousins/Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson" to get to the Super Bowl.  It is no more complicated than that.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, dr99 said:

That tweet isn't exactly right either. Dak was TO-less in the final two games of 2018 regular season, then was intercepted in Dallas' 24-22 win over the Seahawks in the playoffs. He was clean the following week losing to the Rams and then was TO-less in the season opener vs NYG in 2019. Streak of not putting together back-to-back TO-less games started in Week 2 of that season. I think Kolb's game count might be off by one, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Dallas just ran into a better Niners team. There is no shame in losing 19-12 in the second round to an opponent with superior talent at most positions. They neutralized the Niner run game and largely held Bosa in check.

For Dallas, losing Pollard was a huge blow. Zeke sucks and those guys like Gallup and Schultz are tier 2 assets. Need to draft a Jordan Addison or something. 

devils advocate question: were you okay losing to saban by 1 point?

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

iirc Dallas was driving and in the RZ when Pollard was injured. Dak threw INT the very next play.  Game was 6-6 at the time IIRC>

Dallas scored one time with Pollard. Are you suggesting Prescott threw that idiotic pass because Pollard wasn’t in the game?

4 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I'll ask again, because I think it actually would matter:

If the Cowboys were to sign a healthy OBJ (instead of TY Hilton on the cheap) for this playoff run, do we beat the Niners?

I think you could make the case yes. He is a vertical threat (the one weakness of the Niners D was their secondary and giving up big secondary plays, yet we couldn't test them) and he's a playmaker who thrives on the big stage.

Was it a strategic misfire to not hire the mercenary for the exact moments like last night?

I assume he is healthy because the talk track was always "will not play in the regular season but will be 100% ready for playoffs"

but dak could have tested them deep

2nd possession 2nd half i was begging at the tv "please take shots downfield please take shots downfield" and we do and lo and behold 55 yards and then we didn't throw another deep strike

passpro was fine we deliberately did not take deep shots

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

We would absolutely out up more points with more elite weapons. But having an OBJ wouldn’t have (imo) kept Dak from two INTs and a few other wtf incompletions and almost picks. Not sure OBJ is all that healthy and not even sure he’d have played in the post season. He wants some long term contract and to start next season I think if I read the many articles about him correctly. The good news is that we will still be in the mix in our division and at least good enough in the NFC for a wildcard. The bad news is Jerruh is in charge. Dak with 7 years in the league still does dumb shit. Zeke is toast. Lamb needs a great WR to be paired with and so on…if Micah Parsons doesn’t take the work ethic thing seriously he could flame out after a spectacular season or two. We can get Dak weapons…I’d prefer being known for defense and a run game and NOT asking Dak to throw more than 20 times a game. If we had a great RB tandem we could do this and if we had another great WR to pair with Lamb it might work. But Dak has to stop doing dumb shit and I’m not sure that he can. We need an identity and if we are stuck with Dak let’s load up on defense in the next two drafts and add a great WR and RB or two and maybe slot receiver and a TE. Need to draft a backup QB. If we are stuck with Dak let’s try at least be known for defense which we have a core to be able to do. And then when it’s cost effective to part ways with Dak PLEASE draft a QB in the first round. Also draft a CB. Ok thanks…

dak is not a winner and he is going to do dumb shit

crash '23: take cap hits on dak and zeke and trade any skill players of value, and tell any of the guys with their 2nd deals that if they want out we won't get nasty about it

THEN HIRE A GODDAMN GENERAL MANAGER

FUCK YOU JERRY JONES FOR WASTING ANOTHER FIVE YEARS OF THE LIVES OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE YOU GODDAMN PRETNATURAL REPTILE FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

fuck this is just sickening

and dak with the "what, me worry?" face

FUCK U DUDE!!!!!  you are not a winner

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

is this going to piss us off even more?

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i will post this ad nauseum until it is never ever argued ever again

only 1 quarterback in cows history lost 3 conference championship games in a row

Fair enough, but you can’t win one if you don’t play in one. 

Perhaps the worst part is that no one would give a rat’s ass about “The Catch” without the failure afterwards. 

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I agree with everyone; Dak sucks.

Okay.

But why are we so convinced the story is over? Can't people get better? Can't Dak put in more work to study the offense and the reads and defenses? Can't he work out and get in better shape for his athleticism? Can't he do drills and work tirelessly on his accuracy? 

can't he give up half his money and admit he doesn't deserve it in exchange for skeletor agreeing to hire an independent firm to run the cowboys, something like deloitte hires the coaching staff that reports to deloitte and jerry and his piggy boys are by contract prevented from the frisco facility.... all of that in exchange for half of dak's money.

abracadabra

do it dak, end our long national nightmare

is this going to piss us off even more?

I think Sage is right. Sf wouldn’t run that shit if it was a low probability of working. More often than not Lamb is wide open, but they baited Dak. The only way you know how much SF does that is to chart every play. Orlovsky never said how often the LB hauls ass at the snap from weakside to strongside all the way down the field. That’s a bigger deal than SF showing 6.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

That wouldn't have anything to do with Romo probably being a much better QB than Dak -- or would it?

The last time Romo made it to the Divisional round he had DeMarco Murray on a career year, prime Dez, prime Witten, Terrence Williams, and the universally agreed best OL in the league. While I do think Romo was a slightly more consistent quarterback than Dak that offensive roster was way better than what they have today. Romo also had the propensity to make the stupid decision and stupid throw to lose you games in the 4th. 

I think overall Romo and Dak are pretty comparable as far as quality quarterbacks. Both are good but not good enough to elevate mediocre personnel around them. The problem is how do you maintain what you have on defense while adding more weapons with the salary cap and how much you're paying the quarterback?

• Like 1

Legit question. Not aimed any one in particular. 

How/why do you continue to care about Jerrah's Carnival? Really, why bother? I am really curious. Same with the Texans, I guess. Why care?

I grew up in Austin/DFW, was a Cowboys fan in 70s-80s. Could not believe that O&G hillbilly bought the Cowboys while Texans with real money were screwing around and not paying attention--during a oil/real estate bust. So obvious Jerrah lucked into Jimmy Johnson and 3 Super Bowls. No Jimmy, Jerrah has no titles. Gradually checked out of the Cowboys somewhere between the reigns of Switzer-Gailey. Have barely watched a complete Cowboy game since.

I can't cheer for anything Jerrah does. Jerrah is a glorified huckster-carnival showman, the PT Barnum of the NFL. The Dallas and national media lap it up and so do most fans, it seems. The Cowboys will be in Arkansas hands for the rest of the century. How in the hell did Texas let that happen? Amazing. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1

People love sports and don't wan't to just "check out". As keysphonewallet said in his self-titled thread, many are "born into it." That thread also would point out that for UT football to swim in the abyss so long is at least as frustrating. The Horns aren't at the mercy of one narcissist owner.

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Rush isn’t losing that game in the manner Dak lost it.  And I’m dead serious. SF did not play well last night. Dak literally gave the game to them. It was absolutely the worst performance I’ve ever seen by a Cowboys QB. 

Rush on the field likely isn’t scoring any points against that team, playing well or not.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

mckinney

i'm talking about the powderpuff cottoncandy that will be rolled out 2 weeks after the superbowl and run for the next 8 months until the coverage reverts to news for actual adult cows fans

The media is extremely tough on Jones and the franchise. The local media. I’m not sure what you’re watching. 

36 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Rush on the field likely isn’t scoring any points against that team, playing well or not.  

Highly, highly unlikely that he wouldn’t have scored more than 12. I can almost assure you he wouldn’t have through those picks, giving them 10 points. I strongly suspect we would’ve won. 

27 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Highly, highly unlikely that he wouldn’t have scored more than 12. I can almost assure you he wouldn’t have through those picks, giving them 10 points. I strongly suspect we would’ve won. 

I can’t help you with your mental deficiency here.  Cooper fucking Rush wouldn’t start in Houston, let alone beat SF in yesterday’s game.   This is not a defense of Dak, this is telling you how fucking braindead you are in this take.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

romo and dak are the same thing

flashes of greatness against mediocre opposition

finds any way possible to lose in the playoffs

never a whiff of a nfc title game

not even in the same category of danny white or craig morton who at least won a nfc title and made a superbowl

Craig Morton actually won two NFL conference championships and started two Super Bowls with two different teams. That's actually a pretty great achievement. 

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I can’t help you with your mental deficiency here.  Cooper fucking Rush wouldn’t start in Houston, let alone beat SF in yesterday’s game.   This is not a defense of Dak, this is telling you how fucking braindead you are in this take.   

He might not have beaten them. He certainly would’ve given us a better shot than Dak, and I’m not a fan of Rush as our backup.  Concluding he wouldn’t have led Boys to any points is beyond fucking braindead when you have a five game sample size averaging 21.4 points. 

Edited by Porterhouse

13 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Imagine the narrative if Dak gets sacked in the end zone on whatever insanity he was doing when Armstrong had the safety but somehow didn't tackle him.

And he still screwed it up.

That was one weird ass play. Armstead basically decided not to take the safety.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

but dak could have tested them deep

2nd possession 2nd half i was begging at the tv "please take shots downfield please take shots downfield" and we do and lo and behold 55 yards and then we didn't throw another deep strike

passpro was fine we deliberately did not take deep shots

I remember one deep shot. Receiver was open for what would have been a long TD and dAK threw it way over the wrong shoulder. He choked. Has a wiring problem. He wasn't helped any by that fucking OC, Wonder Boy. All we needed was what SF had - a QB who wouldn't fuck it up.

Jones is a sack of shit if he lets another good coach escape while he sucks hind tit on mediocre.

I read an article today claiming that the tackle used on Pollard when he was hurt should be made illegal. Like the horse collar tackle. What do people here think?

I watched the play again and that tackle doesn't seem to be an identifiably dangerous technique like the horse collar. It just looks like one big man lunging to bring down another, which is what tackling is. You can't make it a nonviolent act. Sure, on slow motion you can see how the injury occurred, but in real speed there doesn't seem any intent to do harm. It's just two guys going down in a tumble where the positioning of each body is essentially random. You can't make simply grabbing someone from behind, or grabbing someone by the waist, a penalty can you? 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He might not have beaten them. He certainly would’ve given us a better shot than Dak, and I’m not a fan of Rush as our backup.  Concluding he wouldn’t have led Boys to any points is beyond fucking braindead when you have a five game sample size averaging 21.4 points. 

Jerry Jones specialty has been relatively worthless cheap fucking backup QBs. Never is there one who shows flashes of brilliance aka Nick Foles. When was the last time we had a backup who challenged for the starting job? You want some production out of someone like Dak, give him some competition

SF got two FG’s on Dak’s picks, not 10 points.

Cooper Rush would’ve been beyond anemic yesterday. He might have thrown zero picks but that’s probably how many points he’d have led the Cowboys to.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't think it's rigged like that guy says and fucking Diggs needs to make a hit to knock the ball loose but at least this answers for me why the fuck 96 is the guy running desperately after Kittles. 

Damn, the expert ref in the TV booth should have spotted that...if it weren't rigged.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

I read an article today claiming that the tackle used on Pollard when he was hurt should be made illegal. Like the horse collar tackle. What do people here think?

I watched the play again and that tackle doesn't seem to be an identifiably dangerous technique like the horse collar. It just looks like one big man lunging to bring down another, which is what tackling is. You can't make it a nonviolent act. Sure, on slow motion you can see how the injury occurred, but in real speed there doesn't seem any intent to do harm. It's just two guys going down in a tumble where the positioning of each body is essentially random. You can't make simply grabbing someone from behind, or grabbing someone by the waist, a penalty can you? 

If they could identify certain unique mechanics that lead to that injury, they should try to ban it. There's too much of it now and it will become an intentional take down tactic in the near future. Other team has a star? Break his ankle. There are plenty of players who'd do it at the drop of a hat

As a Cowboy hater, I can’t decide which ending of the two playoff losses to SF I prefer. Each is sublimely beautiful in different ways.

Last year’s game has the hilarious, frenetic race to the line, as well as Cowboys actually impeding the ref from resetting the ball. Also, an added bonus is the fact that it was a home loss, where all their hopelessly dorkish fans in their stupid jerseys and oversized hats could complain about it as they headed for the exits. I wish I could have been there to see it in person, but then I would have had to, well, be there. 

We shouldn’t undervalue this year’s loss. The last play was quieter, but equally hilarious. Watching the Cowboys lined up for what seems like eternity, you get the sense that they didn’t have much hope for the play. Also, not making any changes after the 49’ers called TO is interesting, but the odds were probably so low for success that it might not have mattered. It was curious to see Zeke at center. I get it that they needed a ball-handler in the middle of the field, but he’s so slow now, why not use another WR or defensive back? Funniest line goes to Brandon Perna of That’s Good Sports who said, “Zeke can no longer be considered a premier NFL Center.” 

You can never watch the play enough times. I like the WR at the top of the screen who races downfield, then stops in resigned defeat when he sees the ball carrier getting lit up. Also, watch how Dak takes off after throwing the ball to help with the laterals. Or the two lineman at the bottom of screen. Why bother with slow, lineman at all? How about two fleet linebackers? Can you imagine the player’s faces when they first saw the play on a big screen? I love how both plays highlight the stupidity of the coaching staff. I wonder if McCartney had to have a private meeting w Jerry Jones to explain in why it didn’t work, lol.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblings. Thanks, Cowboys, for providing so much endless merriment in an otherwise uneventful season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

It's called a hip drop tackle and it's a huge problem in rugby as well.

You could define it as engaging a player around the hips from behind or the side. When you do that, you're forbidden from dropping your full body weight onto his feet.

Players could be taught to slide down to the legs to make them fall down or only use their chest weight and above to nip at the heels.