Cowboys @ Niners: NFC Divisional Round

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

The media is extremely tough on Jones and the franchise. The local media. I’m not sure what you’re watching. 

wfaa tonight

joe trahan

pansy ass babycakes bullshit

it's just like a belmont presser

dale hansen was the only one who would state the obvious

NO ONE in the past 25 years has asked the skeletor:

"will you die without admitting you suck?"

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

wfaa tonight

joe trahan

pansy ass babycakes bullshit

it's just like a belmont presser

dale hansen was the only one who would state the obvious

NO ONE in the past 25 years has asked the skeletor:

"will you die without admitting you suck?"

Read print. Read blogs. Listen to the Ticket. Listen to their flagship station. Listen to the print guys on the Ticket. They all hammer this organization throughout the year. Not just after a terrible offensive performance in yet another early January exit. 

The media has been as soft as @Drewon Dak but that is quickly changing as what has been apparent starts to become obvious. 

This year isn’t on McCarthy. Certainly not on Quinn. The major culpable player is Dak. Secondarily, I wouldn’t even include Kellen, though I’m ready for a change. It’s on the front office for letting Cooper walk and not getting any WR help outside of a high draft pick that couldn’t even learn the plays at a level sufficient to beat out Noah Brown. 

I actually think the coaching staff did a fine job outside of its decision not to cut Maher and that last fucking play. All other WTF moments outside of a few failed Jap plays were provided by your $40mm per annum QB who did not play like a top half QB this year and that is where he is - bottom half. He isn’t “good, but not great”. He is squarely average and trending to below average. 

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

A buddy of mine pointed out that Dak has NEVER posted back-to-back turnover-free games in his career. (Buddy is an Eagles fan and I haven't fact-checked him yet but if that stat is true, it's pretty amazing.)

EDIT: OK, this is bullshit. He's got multiple points in his career where he's gone at least two games in a row with zero turnovers. His best streak is four in the first four starts of his career in 2016 and then the last three of 2016 and the opener of 2017. In fact, there are eight separate streaks of at least two games without a turnover.)

In his last 49 games, he has not gone back-to-back with turnover-free games. He isn’t good. And any stats that might prove otherwise are padded against inferior competition where he can look like Peyton in his prime. He is deplorable in big games against good D, and that is only trending downward fast. 

1 hour ago, Vermin said:

It's called a hip drop tackle and it's a huge problem in rugby as well.

You could define it as engaging a player around the hips from behind or the side. When you do that, you're forbidden from dropping your full body weight onto his feet.

Players could be taught to slide down to the legs to make them fall down or only use their chest weight and above to nip at the heels.

I looked at an NRL video on hip drop tackles, and rugby seems to be dealing with a severe manifestation. All of the examples shown involved a ball carrier who was already engaged in the upper body by one or two tacklers when another defender engaged low with what seemed clear intent to place his body weight on the leg. That seems like a circumstance that can clearly be recognized and disallowed. Interestingly, the one example they showed of something not ruled as a hip drop tackle involved a lone defender tackling from behind with his body drop just the natural movement downward that physically happens in a tackle.   

Edited by Tired Horn
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

With all the info coming out about the Jones' Cowboys inability to get back to the Superbowl or NFC title game - compared to other teams in the league, and realizing that the Shithead has made only a few giant calls in his career that were right (one being hiring Jimmy Johnson), maybe it's time Jones got a moniker to hang around his neck....

Shittiest Football Owner of All Time - SFOAT, for short. I wanna keep the term Football in that title, because Jerry loves it so dearly. But open to suggestions...

By the way, saw a headline that said dAK was being roasted on the Cowboys Twitter thread. Havent checked it out yet (didn't know it existed, either).

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

What is the common denominator of the last 27 years? Dak, Romo, Zeke, Murray, Ware, Parsons, Lamb, and Dez??? The names change the problem stays the same. JJ is the constant. So those of you who think they could win it all next if if only they sign x or draft y, just look into the owners box. As long as JJ still draws breath, the Cowboys have no chance of winning.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think it's rigged like that guy says and fucking Diggs needs to make a hit to knock the ball loose but at least this answers for me why the fuck 96 is the guy running desperately after Kittles. 

Diggs sticks that play and Dallas might have won the game. Instead we have 7 whiffing again and Kittle with a highlight catch for his career compilation.

I think Diggs is a problem. A star on hard knocks then making all those picks last year getting hype while media ignored his pathetic numbers allowing big plays. Hopefully the new DC gets in his face and Jerry let’s him know he’s on a fast train out if he keeps making business decisions and opting out of contact. Film don’t lie. He’s going to get butchered next season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The defense played well enough to win. Offense doesn't have enough weapons. Too much money tied up at RB and didn't want to pay receivers when majority of the teams remaining have top tier receivers. 

Bengals

Chase/Higgins, one could make the argument that Tyler Boyd would be a #2 on Dallas. Hayden Hurst is a pretty damn good TE.  Mixon, as much as we hate him for being a woman beating piece of shit sooner is a better version of Pollard IMO.

San Francisco

Christian McCaffrey is arguably a top 5 back for modern NFL offenses and Elijah Mitchell is a good compliment to him. Deebo and Aiyuk are a better 1-2 than what Dallas and throw in Kittle, so much offensive talent. 

Kansas City

Probably has the deepest receiver room of the remaining teams but not as talented at the top but you throw in Kelce and their talent overall at the receiver/tight end position is better than Cowboys. RB room may be the worst of the remaining teams, including Cowboys, but they don't have a ton of money tied there. 

Philly

Brown/Smith is the second best 1-2 combo after Chase/Higgins remaining. Miles Sanders is really talented and Goedert is a good tight end.  Once again not a lot of money tied up by RB room.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

48 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

It's like you've never heard of Bud Adams or the McNair family

They got Houston close a few times, but those owners didn't inherit the honor of "America's Team". And those owners didn't shit away a star caliber coach (JJ) who had just won two SBs and plunge their team into a dark eternity. How long as the SFOAT been dumping on Cowboy fans now? How many star caliber coaches has he passed up to hire and keep the likes of Garrett and Gailey and Campo (Dave's winning percentage: .313)(the rest of the NFL couldn't wait to get their hands on these three stars)? Looking forward to the tailgate parties they'll have when he finally kicks the can. Could become a state holiday for the next 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

They got Houston close a few times, but those owners didn't inherit the honor of "America's Team". And those owners didn't shit away a star caliber coach (JJ) who had just won two SBs and plunge their team into a dark eternity. How long as the SFOAT been dumping on Cowboy fans now? How many star caliber coaches has he passed up to hire and keep the likes of Garrett and Gailey and Campo (Dave's winning percentage: .313)(the rest of the NFL couldn't wait to get their hands on these three stars)? Looking forward to the tailgate parties they'll have when he finally kicks the can. Could become a state holiday for the next 20 years.

1. JJ cannot attract star coaches. Parcells was his one shot and he fucked that up. McCarthy is as close as he’ll get and Payton would be no better. 

2. The other JJ would’ve worn out his welcome with the players, or otherwise left about when he did anyway. That’s his MO. I do fault Jerry for their demise, though. 

3. Nothing will change when he croaks. If Stephen and siblings hire a GM, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Frankly pretty shocked. 

Jerry is miles better than the Spanos family, the Haslams, the McNairs, Ross, Snyder, Irsay, the Fords, the guy in Jax.

You should read Jimmy’s book. He reiterates that while he hated the way he and Jerry parted, he was still leaving because the crazy relentlessness to win was destroying him. He has said for years he wasn’t planning a return for a third. Jerry did not want him to leave and used all his selling skills to try to convince him to stay and he apologized for his stupid drunken rants at the owners meeting with Rick Gosselin. I hate that because I’ve been a Jimmy Johnson fan since he started up the coaching path as an assistant. But it’s fact.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

3. Nothing will change when he croaks. If Stephen and siblings hire a GM, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Frankly pretty shocked. 

This.  Those expecting change when Jerry dies are in for an unpleasant experience.  Stephen was born on third base, is a lot dumber than Jerry, but has all of the same stupid pride/bravado problems.

No, the only thing that will change this team is if the fans were to so completely turn their back on them that it became a financial albatross around the Jones Clan neck and they were forced to sell.  Seeing as how it is the most valuable franchise in the world despite all the failures on the field....don't hold your breath.

• Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jerry is miles better than the Spanos family, the Haslams, the McNairs, Ross, Snyder, Irsay, the Fords, the guy in Jax.

You should read Jimmy’s book. He reiterates that while he hated the way he and Jerry parted, he was still leaving because the crazy relentlessness to win was destroying him. He has said for years he wasn’t planning a return for a third. Jerry did not want him to leave and used all his selling skills to try to convince him to stay and he apologized for his stupid drunken rants at the owners meeting with Rick Gosselin. I hate that because I’ve been a Jimmy Johnson fan since he started up the coaching path as an assistant. But it’s fact.

I think the Lions and Jaguars both win a Super Bowl before Dallas gets another one. 

17 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but here are two stills from the Kittle play.

In this one he is covered up by #44

image.thumb.jpeg.da5557038c3697bcad66509af065022b.jpeg

In this one he is blocking #96 which is why Gallimore was trying to cover him down field.

image.thumb.jpeg.01b74d34a879fabd6963cf946cf41731.jpeg

This just makes it more sweet

Turning the thing around or his new book?

Haven’t read his new one, but TTTA is a great book.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jerry is miles better than Snyder and Irsay as a human. I don’t know how the others run their franchises but the Colts were able to attract Dungy, win a title, and be very competitive for 12 years with Peyton. Snyder is the only guy that routinely fucks his team worse than Jerry. 

I do agree with your comments on Jimmy. Jimmy was gone regardless because that’s what Jimmy does. He’s a rambler that burns out on obsessive behavior. He burns himself out, and eventually will burn his players out. See Miami. 

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but here are two stills from the Kittle play.

In this one he is covered up by #44

image.thumb.jpeg.da5557038c3697bcad66509af065022b.jpeg

In this one he is blocking #96 which is why Gallimore was trying to cover him down field.

image.thumb.jpeg.01b74d34a879fabd6963cf946cf41731.jpeg

If that’s true is that a play the coaches could have challenged? Surely whether a receiver is eligible is something that is reviewable. Also it means the broadcast crew and the coaching staff never noticed. Weren’t there a million replays? I don’t know 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

If that’s true is that a play the coaches could have challenged? Surely whether a receiver is eligible is something that is reviewable. Also it means the broadcast crew and the coaching staff never noticed. Weren’t there a million replays? I don’t know 

You can't challenge alignments....refs just missed it.  Now should you be able to?  I think so.  I think as long as it is left to a challenge system a coach should be able to challenge whatever they want, but that's me.  

The other question is would the Cowboys coaches have even seen it.  I believe that side of the formation is facing the 49ers sideline.  

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

It's like you've never heard of Bud Adams or the McNair family

@Texzilla58hits it pretty good below. I'd throw in Bill Bidwill too.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yeah, I think that era of the Cowboys was going to win three titles. If Jimmy decided to come back maybe it would've been three in a row. But he bailed and the extremely talented 49ers got the 1994 title in Switzer's first year. The Cowboys regrouped and won in 1995 with Switzer. Personally, I'd rather Jimmy have all three titles but I wasn't really a huge fan of his at the time because I hated the Miami Hurricanes. Never liked Barry.

Spanos/Snyder are probably the two worst owners
Irsay is somewhere in between those two and Jerry.
Jerry is in the next tier below them as worst IMO.

Jerry is a great owner whose challenge to the TV status quo enriched the league beyond belief. It’s why he’s in the HoF.

I don’t think the issue with the team is Jerry as GM. Will McClay has made some great drafts. As I’ve said, the issue with this organization is its culture going back to Murchison and Schram. What made this team the fucking Dallas Cowboys contributed to its failures between Staubach retiring and Jimmy arriving. That period was just an interruption.

If you read The Catch, that team had similar issues. Talent but soft, entitled, pampered. Same after Jimmy left. Look at The Star. Valet parking, masseuses, custom smoothies. Ac. Jimmy worked his teams mercilessly. In the heat. Perfect practice makes perfect. No veteran down days. “Get your ass over to the asthma field!”

Jerry is good at making money which I give so fucks about. I do not fucking care if the franchise is the most valuable in the world or not. I don’t get a check for being a fan. I only care if they win and with Jerry doing anything other than counting his money, the team is 0-27 for Super Bowls. Fuck him and let him rot in hell for ruining this once proud franchise’s history.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

You can't challenge alignments....refs just missed it.  Now should you be able to?  I think so.  I think as long as it is left to a challenge system a coach should be able to challenge whatever they want, but that's me.  

The other question is would the Cowboys coaches have even seen it.  I believe that side of the formation is facing the 49ers sideline.  

I'm no expert, but is it possible 44 is set back enough to make Kittle eligible? (not covering him up). And that block as shown is only one yard downfield so I think that's legal too.

Jerry is good at making money which I give so fucks about. I do not fucking care if the franchise is the most valuable in the world or not. I don’t get a check for being a fan. I only care if they win and with Jerry doing anything other than counting his money, the team is 0-27 for Super Bowls. Fuck him and let him rot in hell for ruining this once proud franchise’s history.

Doesn’t matter who is the GM. Or owner. The franchise today is pretty much the same now as it was in North Dallas Forty days. I grew up with a team that failed thru the Don Meredith years to win meaningful games. Had some success with Staubach but some of those years we were losing for the same reasons as now. The only truly dominant years were the JJ/Switzer SB years. Just about most of the rest is a fucking myth.

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Doesn’t matter who is the GM. Or owner. The franchise today is pretty much the same now as it was in North Dallas Forty days. I grew up with a team that failed thru the Don Meredith years to win meaningful games. Had some success with Staubach but some of those years we were losing for the same reasons as now. The only truly dominant years were the JJ/Switzer SB years. Just about most of the rest is a fucking myth.

Dallas was in something like 10 of the first 13 NFC championship games. “Some success”?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

What on God's green earth are you talking about. Dallas went to 5 super bowls between '70-'78. That's some fucking myth. 

The fact that Kellen Moore has gotten 2 head coaching interviews leads me to believe that some (maybe even many) around the league think that he has squeezed all he can out of Dak and this offense. I don’t necessarily disagree. Dak is pretty limited when it comes to reading a defense post snap and arm talent. 

54 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don't get this, either. The Cowboys made it to 50% of the Super Bowls in the 70s and 70% of the NFC championship games.  They followed that up by making three straight NFC title games in 80-82. That's a hell of a run even if you acknowledge the Steelers as the dominant team of the 70s. It was a lot of fun and is in no rational way comparable to a team that has failed to win a divisional round playoff team in 27 years.

To say that was a fucking myth is total bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Retard alert
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I'm sure the history of the NFL is jam packed with crappy owners. But nobody's selling their season tickets and the fans won't quit watching. And JJ's kids aren't gonna change anything. What other options are left? Probably none, but maybe getting enough fans to refer to this old coot as the SFOAT would help him realize that he's not leaving behind the legacy he thinks?

Maybe SFOAT, Jr. would finally have a word with pop. How would he and the kids feel if everytime they saw his name somewhere a fan had scribbled SFOAT next to it. Or occasionally the Joneses y pass a billboard and see where someone painted the letters on it. Maybe Jones would get off his butt and hire a GM, or at least fire McCarthy. 

It won't happen. I'm just venting after watching yet one more season go down in flames thanks largely to poor coaching, a QB who is mediocre, and an owner who sucks.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:37 PM, Porterhouse said:

Read print. Read blogs. Listen to the Ticket. Listen to their flagship station. Listen to the print guys on the Ticket. They all hammer this organization throughout the year. Not just after a terrible offensive performance in yet another early January exit. 

The media has been as soft as @Drewon Dak but that is quickly changing as what has been apparent starts to become obvious. 

This year isn’t on McCarthy. Certainly not on Quinn. The major culpable player is Dak. Secondarily, I wouldn’t even include Kellen, though I’m ready for a change. It’s on the front office for letting Cooper walk and not getting any WR help outside of a high draft pick that couldn’t even learn the plays at a level sufficient to beat out Noah Brown. 

I actually think the coaching staff did a fine job outside of its decision not to cut Maher and that last fucking play. All other WTF moments outside of a few failed Jap plays were provided by your $40mm per annum QB who did not play like a top half QB this year and that is where he is - bottom half. He isn’t “good, but not great”. He is squarely average and trending to below average. 

Hey fuckface, post my real name again shitbag.  Be a fucking man for once in your goddamn pathetic life.  No wonder.............

On 1/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, Bartles said:

I'm no expert, but is it possible 44 is set back enough to make Kittle eligible? (not covering him up). And that block as shown is only one yard downfield so I think that's legal too.

If 44 is considered to be off the line, then it is an illegal formation.  Only 4 players can be in the backfield. Here it's QB, running back, no. 19, and the man in the slot on the far side.  44 had to be on the line and he was covering Kittle up. 

There have been articles written about the fact that Kittle did not have an assigned route in the play and how brilliant he was to improvise on the fly as the play was breaking down. There is a reason he did not have a route: he was not an eligible receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, BevoAbyss said:

Legit question. Not aimed any one in particular. 

How/why do you continue to care about Jerrah's Carnival? Really, why bother? I am really curious. Same with the Texans, I guess. Why care?

I grew up in Austin/DFW, was a Cowboys fan in 70s-80s. Could not believe that O&G hillbilly bought the Cowboys while Texans with real money were screwing around and not paying attention--during a oil/real estate bust. So obvious Jerrah lucked into Jimmy Johnson and 3 Super Bowls. No Jimmy, Jerrah has no titles. Gradually checked out of the Cowboys somewhere between the reigns of Switzer-Gailey. Have barely watched a complete Cowboy game since.

I can't cheer for anything Jerrah does. Jerrah is a glorified huckster-carnival showman, the PT Barnum of the NFL. The Dallas and national media lap it up and so do most fans, it seems. The Cowboys will be in Arkansas hands for the rest of the century. How in the hell did Texas let that happen? Amazing. 

Now, do Steve Sarkisian and the Horns.

3 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Now, do Steve Sarkisian and the Horns.

You are correct. The Horns have devolved into a similar situation, though for only 13 years, not 26 years. I have not lived in Texas for over two decades because of career, so I am far less exposed to the Texas football media coverage in Dallas, Austin, etc. I cheer/hope for Texas to win because I am an alum, but now am only certain to tune in for the big games (OU, Bama) and maybe some of the others.

The eras of Strong, Herman, and Sarkisian have just eroded my fandom. Every year, I seem to care less and less. I guess that makes me a lame fan in some alum's eyes. Sorry.

Edited by BevoAbyss
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1