Atlanta Protests (some violence)

Incredulity

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ok so I don't keep up with local Atlanta news because why the fuck would I. Here's what it seems like - 

The Atlanta Police Department is spending $90MM (of my tax dollars) to clear 85 acres of forest to build a facility that will enable them to work on vehicle skills and tactics. People have been protesting for various reasons (environmental, ACAB, etc) and some have started squatting in the forest. On Wednesday, troopers rolled in to clear out the forest and they killed a protester. Authorities say he opened fire first, protesters disagree and say he was murdered. These were the events leading up to the downtown protests where there was rioting/burning of cop cars.

Did you or did you not leave out the Negroes part?  Because that is a really big part.  

If those people can break a window - then they can buy the house right next-door to you and some large man with oversized sexual organs will come over for the Kentucky Derby pool party and dance with your wife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Did you or did you not leave out the Negroes part?  Because that is a really big part.  

If those people can break a window - then they can buy the house right next-door to you and some large man with oversized sexual organs will come over for the Kentucky Derby pool party and dance with your wife.

Yeah I don't know - it's Atlanta so I assumed there were some black folk, of course there are cops so understood that tactics means breaking down apartment doors and quickly shooting people of color trying to figure out why they have suddenly become awake. But the guy who was killed by the police on Wednesday has a hispanic name, I don't know anything about the story broadly because again why would I.

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

image.gif.bbe0c1584296a48db39968ec2fcd69d0.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah I don't know - it's Atlanta so I assumed there were some black folk, of course there are cops so understood that tactics means breaking down apartment doors and quickly shooting people of color trying to figure out why they have suddenly become awake. But the guy who was killed by the police on Wednesday has a hispanic name, I don't know anything about the story broadly because again why would I.

My post was in no way directed to you C Man.  I was just riffing on the right’s absolute terror of the black menace.  I mean, you had four morons with black berets calling themselves the New Black Panthers, and those four morons terrified tens of millions of Fox viewers because….you know….Negroes with guns maybe. 

Not the totally OK fat rednecks in camo with AR 15s near the polling place protecting our states rights of a fair election.   No.   I’m talking about black men in an organization that uses the word “black”.   You can see the difference.   Scary.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

My post was in no way directed to you C Man.  I was just riffing on the right’s absolute terror of the black menace.  I mean, you had four morons with black berets calling themselves the New Black Panthers, and those four morons terrified tens of millions of Fox viewers because….you know….Negroes with guns maybe. 

Not the totally OK fat rednecks in camo with AR 15s near the polling place protecting our states rights of a fair election.   No.   I’m talking about black men in an organization that uses the word “black”.   You can see the difference.   Scary.  

ah yeah, I didn't take it any way like that. Are you familiar with the story/is there a specific racial context to the story that is happening beyond the obvious ones, as far as you are aware? Trying to figure out what's going on it seems like maybe the land used to be a prison camp in the early 20th century, which would probably add a bit more to it.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Insurance. Drink!

Nobody here condones violence or the destruction of property, whether public or private. But most of us can see that there’s a context behind any event. The problem is one side completely ignores the historic and current ongoing massive abuse of black Americans’ rights by law-enforcement on a routine basis, while condoning the traitorous attack on the capital with that team’s members calling it a political witch-hunt. 

We get that you are desperately trying to both sides yourself to justify that. Actually, if Black people were as thin-skinned and snowflaky as the outraged and victimized white people who have to have their kids read about racism in American history, there would be a Nat Turner revolt going on in every state.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Nobody here condones violence or the destruction of property, whether public or private. But most of us can see that there’s a context behind any event. The problem is one side completely ignores the historic and current ongoing massive abuse of black Americans’ rights by law-enforcement on a routine basis, while condoning the traitorous attack on the capital with that team’s members calling it a political witch-hunt. 

We get that you are desperately trying to both sides yourself to justify that. Actually, if Black people were as thin-skinned and snowflaky as the outraged and victimized white people who have to have their kids read about racism in American history, there would be a Nat Turner revolt going on in every state.  

What an utterly racist pile of clap-trap.  

Race wasn’t a topic in the thread until your screed.  

Edited by Incredulity
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

No I didn’t 

Well, you forgot to mention it would be great if that also didn’t happen.  I mean, you had a list of things that would be great if they didn’t happen, then acknowledge what did.  

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Where was the state trooper shot?

Why does that matter? 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Just wondering if he lived, god bless the thin blue line. What was his name?

The trooper survived.  

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Are you retarded?

sometimes.  Right how I’m distraught because we lost another fighter of environmental racism.  

• Fuck You 1

Fwiw, I did some more digging - a trooper was shot in the abdomen and is still alive. The police story is that they killed the guy who shot the trooper, the protesters say it was rapid shooting not an exchange of gunfire.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna66475

plenty of nutball people in the world where the police story could be true, but of course if they went and lit someone up in the woods  and shot one of their buddies while committing the murder, it wouldn’t be the first time that happened either. I know nothing at all other than what I’ve posted here.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Shooting state troopers.

That's not good.  

So from what I can piece together from this thread, he was homeless and living in an encampment?  And there was an attempt to clear the encampment and he fired at police?  And he hit one of them, and then so of his fellow encampment people burned a police car and broke some windows?

Do I have this right or is there more?

I don’t think homeless - I think eco protestors (and.. I don’t really know what is meant by environmental racism but that seems like part of it) living in the forest that was to be cleared to let the cops play hot wheels. Cops go to clear them out, shooting happens and result is one dead protestor and one injured trooper. As best as I can tell.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Sorry, not sorry.

zero point zero percent chance one of the leftists starts this thread.

Because you assume that we will blindly line up behind violent protest we know nothing about in the same way that "rightists" line up to support police violence or decry protest against same without knowing a thing about it?

A brief perusal of Reuters suggests this was a breakout of idiot world.

The demonstrators were protesting an incident that occurred on Wednesday, when Manuel Teran, 26, was inside a tent and did not comply with officers' "verbal commands" as law enforcement cleared Weelaunee People's Park. Some activists had been camping there since last year to protest the facility.

According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), Teran shot a state trooper and was shot and killed by officers returning fire.

On Friday, GBI released a photo of a handgun police say was in Teran's possession at the time of the shooting.

Police roust protesters who have been encamped for months in a park. They bark commands. Teran doesn't want to comply and, if the GBI account is correct, fires at the cops who shoot him to death.

Idiotic to shoot at police. That said, I hope there are witnesses who will testify to the version because we all know the police lie.

I have no doubt the Atlanta police were likely dickheads rousting the campers. The protesters with Teran at Weelaunee People's Park don't want a police complex built on the park.

So, of course, people get killed and police vehicles get burned in this well-oiled republic we have going here.  

The protester shouldn't smash windows and set fire to cars. Police shouldn't kill so many black people. Wonder what the cause and effect is there.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Yup, probably be better for your worldview if they weren’t discussed.

This is an example of why I used to call Rush Limbaugh a liberal spokesperson. A big part of the job of being a hatefilled rightest is to frame your illusory enemy anyway you like to fuel your outrage.

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

December 2022: Domestic terrorism charges for multiple activists

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said five people face domestic terrorism charges, accused of throwing rocks and bottles at police cars and EMTs along Bouldercrest Road

“nothing to see here, not that bad”-Surly Leftists 

Negged for improper use of quotation marks. You're not quoting anyone that doesn't live in your own head. It's dishonest. Easy for the perpetrator, but fundamentally dishonest and idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

It’s been a whole 2 years since one party staged a violent coup to remain in power, and many in the party are incapable of even admitting that basic reality.

You have lost any credibility or moral higher ground you ever had. Shove your clutched pearls.

spacer.png

Probably just a coinkydink that our brave boys in blue didn't have their cams on while they were clearing the protestors out, leaving us with only their word that a person with no prior history of violence decided that outmanned and outgunned would be the perfect time for a shootout. Funny how often that seems to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Probably just a coinkydink that our brave boys in blue didn't have their cams on while they were clearing the protestors out, leaving us with only their word that a person with no prior history of violence decided that outmanned and outgunned would be the perfect time for a shootout. Funny how often that seems to happen. 

Yep. People like to imagine order where there often is none. 

A gun is fired somewhere amid an army of armed cops anxious to shoot their weapons. Some may think they have valid targets while others don't care that much because these are all anti-cop palace scumbags. 

A policeman is hit. I'd like proof of where the bullet came from and what kind of weapon it was. They say Teran was in a tent refusing to comply and then comes out blasting. They had no choice! I'm skeptical.

As chaos subsides, the cops have a wounded cop and a dead protester. They need to make a report. We know they do these things all the time where they figure out a narrative where everybody in blue comes out good. The current story fits that pattern.

I don't know what happened, but the record of police honesty in such cases is a national shame.

I also don't know how trustworthy or professional the GBI is.

I think I'll assume Teran is innocent until proven guilty. I wish I could be so comfortable extending that same benefit to the police.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yep. People like to imagine order where there often is none. 

A gun is fired somewhere amid an army of armed cops anxious to shoot their weapons. Some may think they have valid targets while others don't care that much because these are all anti-cop palace scumbags. 

A policeman is hit. I'd like proof of where the bullet came from and what kind of weapon it was. They say Teran was in a tent refusing to comply and then comes out blasting. They had no choice! I'm skeptical.

As chaos subsides, the cops have a wounded cop and a dead protester. They need to make a report. We know they do these things all the time where they figure out a narrative where everybody in blue comes out good. The current story fits that pattern.

I don't know what happened, but the record of police honesty in such cases is a national shame.

I also don't know how trustworthy or professional the GBI is.

I think I'll assume Teran is innocent until proven guilty. I wish I could be so comfortable extending that same benefit to the police.

Apparently the Georgia State Patrol makes a point of not having body cameras.  Not because of the cost for the cameras, but because it can be difficult to know what to do with the data.  In other words, they have a standing policy to avoid documentation of how their police interact with the public for whatever bullshit excuse that seems plausible.  

This was from an interview Teran gave, shortly before the GSP says he decided to start shooting at cops:

The right kind of resistance is peaceful, because that’s where we win,” Teran is quoted as saying. “We’re not going to beat them at violence. They’re very, very good at violence. We’re not. We win through nonviolence. That’s really the only way we can win.

“We don’t want more people to die. We don’t want Atlanta to turn into a war zone.”

Originally from the AJC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 6

• immamac changed the title to Atlanta Protests (some violence)