Atlanta Protests (some violence)

Incredulity

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

A policeman is hit. I'd like proof of where the bullet came from and what kind of weapon it was. They say Teran was in a tent refusing to comply and then comes out blasting. They had no choice! I'm skeptical.

Article that popped up on my phone said bullet matched caliber found on the deceased.  Same article his mother referred to him as “fighting environmental racism” (why he was in woods).  He was also binary, per article.  Doubt they have ability to do actual ballistics this fast. But sounds like at a minimum the caliber is a match.  Don’t know source, whatever the few mainstream outlets that Apple suggests.  

38 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Article that popped up on my phone said bullet matched caliber found on the deceased.  Same article his mother referred to him as “fighting environmental racism” (why he was in woods).  He was also binary, per article.  Doubt they have ability to do actual ballistics this fast. But sounds like at a minimum the caliber is a match.  Don’t know source, whatever the few mainstream outlets that Apple suggests.  

The origin of the gun in question and all the details about how the shooting occured remain obscured. We only know right now that the narrative favors police action against a black man.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The origin of the gun in question and all the details about how the shooting occured remain obscured. We only know right now that the narrative favors police action against a black man.

He wasn’t black. Or he’s very mixed on his mother’s side  

Manuel Esteban Paez Teran.  

Convenient assumption though. 

Edited by fattyflattie

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

He wasn’t black. Or he’s very mixed on his mother’s side  

Manuel Esteban Paez Teran.  

Convenient assumption though. 

Incorrect assumption. I don't know how it's "convenient." It doesn't change anything I've written. 

Edited by RomaVicta

I have no idea what race this guy was and don't really care or see how it's relevant...but just because somebody's name is Manuel, doesn't mean they can't be black.  Half the Dominican Republic and Cuba men are named Manuel and they are blacker than black.  My mother is from Mexico, I look Hispanic, I speak Spanish.  And my name couldn't sound any more Deutsche if it was Klaus von Mueller.  

Now then, back to the destruction of Atlanta.  Their own newspaper has moved the updates on this story to page 3, so that's telling.  I guess this ends up being a handful of people arrested for some misdemeanors/low level felonies, a police investigation into the shooting death which exononerates them (no surprise to either side of this very adult debate), and mainly we're all left wondering for months on end just what the fuck exactly is 'environmental racism' >???

• Haha 2

Seems like the use of a tree for hangin would be environmental racism.

It would be a practice most of us would oppose. Something tells me that's not it though...

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I have no idea what race this guy was and don't really care or see how it's relevant...but just because somebody's name is Manuel, doesn't mean they can't be black.  Half the Dominican Republic and Cuba men are named Manuel and they are blacker than black.  My mother is from Mexico, I look Hispanic, I speak Spanish.  And my name couldn't sound any more Deutsche if it was Klaus von Mueller.  

Now then, back to the destruction of Atlanta.  Their own newspaper has moved the updates on this story to page 3, so that's telling.  I guess this ends up being a handful of people arrested for some misdemeanors/low level felonies, a police investigation into the shooting death which exononerates them (no surprise to either side of this very adult debate), and mainly we're all left wondering for months on end just what the fuck exactly is 'environmental racism' >???

44 minutes ago, slorch said:

Seems like the use of a tree for hangin would be environmental racism.

It would be a practice most of us would oppose. Something tells me that's not it though...

Typically, the term refers to zoning or land use policies that pushes nasty, polluting shit into minority neighborhoods.

In this case, I suppose they're probably referring to the plans to put the "cop city" onto the 85 acres of forest that might result in the loss of a significant number of trees, especially if it's used by minorities as a recreational area who live nearby and are underserved by sufficient park space. 

But I don't know. That's purely speculative conjecture as I have no idea of the specifics in this case.

• Hook 'Em 1

I for one think spending millions to destroy a forest to build police a facility where they can train to stand around doing nothing while a gunman shoots up an elementary school is not a great use of taxpayer dollars. But I’m not a Georgia taxpayer so my only real interest is reminding people that that’s what these cops will do regardless of how many fancy training facilities they get.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Because you assume that we will blindly line up behind violent protest we know nothing about in the same way that "rightists" line up to support police violence or decry protest against same without knowing a thing about it?

A brief perusal of Reuters suggests this was a breakout of idiot world.

Police roust protesters who have been encamped for months in a park. They bark commands. Teran doesn't want to comply and, if the GBI account is correct, fires at the cops who shoot him to death.

Idiotic to shoot at police. That said, I hope there are witnesses who will testify to the version because we all know the police lie.

I have no doubt the Atlanta police were likely dickheads rousting the campers. The protesters with Teran at Weelaunee People's Park don't want a police complex built on the park.

So, of course, people get killed and police vehicles get burned in this well-oiled republic we have going here.  

The protester shouldn't smash windows and set fire to cars. Police shouldn't kill so many black people. Wonder what the cause and effect is there.

If this is the actual facts of what happened, a mod really should rename the thread. The current title severely misframes the matter and is borderline disinformation. 

Almost like an incredulous poster started the thread...

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

“We demand police be better trained!!1!”

“But not over there.  There trees there!!1!  Racism!!!”

When we say better trained police, we don't mean giving and teaching them how to use new and exciting toys to abuse and prey on their community. 

We mean teaching them de-escalation and that they don't need to approach every situation with their hand on the gun. 

Fuck man, you must be one abusive and cruel sonofabitch to think this is really what people mean.

Like, did you cheer for the empire while you were watching Andor? What the fuck man 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair to every side involved in this...there's got to be a happy compromise here that wouldn't have to involve shooting people, rioting, or environmental racism (again, whatever that means), while also saving the Police Dept. (and thus taxpayers, millions of dollars).  

Atlanta is a growing city still, but not at an outrageous clip.  There's not one massive shopping mall or huge strip center with a 15-screen multi-plex that's been closed down in the last decade or is about to go outta business?  Or a strip of old car dealerships?  Some suburban blight of paved ass-shittery that's no longer in use that you couldn't groundlease from a desperate owner or buy on the cheap?  Demo the existing buildings, re-pave it, and go to town on 50-80 acres.  

If you are a conservative, you are for conservation.  Of Nature, primarily.  Politics aside, nobody should want to clear cut 80 acres of natural forest in exchange for a fucking open range car course.  Likewise, every city of Atlanta's size, no matter the growth needs, has thousands of acres of paved eyesores in aggregate around town and adjacent suburbs.  Make somebody a fucking deal.  Sure it won't be as attractive as holding out for 10 years in the hopes of a fucking IKEA but muni governments do pay on time and in full.  That's a reliable income stream.  Set it up in 10 year groundlease chunks.  with options on the backend.  If miraculously Circuit City makes a comeback and wants to anchor tennant a 60-unit strip center...great.  If not, you got a reliable cash flow from APD. 

But nope, this is America dammit.  We got to cut some shit, shoot some folks, and burn some shit.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

When we say better trained police, we don't mean giving and teaching them how to use new and exciting toys to abuse and prey on their community. 

We mean teaching them de-escalation and that they don't need to approach every situation with their hand on the gun. 

Fuck man, you must be one abusive and cruel sonofabitch to think this is really what people mean.

Like, did you cheer for the empire while you were watching Andor? What the fuck man 

I would also say that the just-need-better-training crowd is usually the moderate dems and the few moderate republicans who will acknowledge there is a problem but will stop short of any measure that would seem hostile to police.  Cops don't want to be held accountable.  Their unions fight hard for them not to be accountable.  But this shit will never diminish until they are.  Any real solution will be hostile to cops.  Training is an easy out for moderates to pretend they are doing something without actually standing up to cops.  

But, yeah, you are absolutely right they don't need to knock down 90 acres of forest in the city for deescalation and anti-racism training.  You can do that shit at a conference room in the Holiday Inn.  The city is clear that this is about recruiting.  They need to build a paramilitary amusement park to recruit and you can only guess what type of recruit that attracts. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captainant said:

0 shot he doesn't beat his wife

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Strange, I see quotes around those but no indication of whom you're quoting or the context. It can't be me, because I've never said police need better training. They've got plenty of training and more than enough equipment. What they lack is even a single fuck to give about the rest of us.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

This infantile framing of the incidents is a habit you must have developed to justify your simple-minded world view. You must keep falsely simplifying things so you can believe things are simple and conclusions are easily drawn using the template provided by the hate engine.

I didn't know the term environmental racism had been developed to describe what is clearly a practice used by government and industry. Fatty Flatty, can you honestly say you haven't noticed that all the shitty or invasive projects are foisted on the poorer part of town? 

I honestly believe you can do better than this. Question the dogma.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I didn't know the term environmental racism had been developed to describe what is clearly a practice used by government and industry. Fatty Flatty, can you honestly say you haven't noticed that all the shitty or invasive projects are foisted on the poorer part of town? 

Hell, John Mellencamp noticed it 40 years ago:

There's a black man with a black cat
Livin' in a black neighborhood
He's got an interstate runnin' through his front yard
You know he thinks he's got it so good

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Tuco said:

paramilitary amusement park

There it is. 

also I’m making the logical leap that they want it away from the prying eyes of the public, who might object to the goings on. Hence the location choice, and not doing what lobo says and using existing empty space. 

I’ll let other posters correct this if it’s off base. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Incredulity said:

What an utterly racist pile of clap-trap.  

Race wasn’t a topic in the thread until your screed.  

21 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Lol clap-trap and screed. Cool words.

it's only missing "ilk" for the right wing trifecta.

there's something behind the disingenuous language that extremist right wing posters use, and i mean the exact words. i'm not sure what that something is, but it's there. it's like there's a primer out there. or maybe it's fox news sourced language? you never hear clap-trap, screed, or ilk unless some extremist is going off about something.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Sigh. Is the latent misogyny necessary?

normally i'm right there with you as i'm trying to be a better person with my words.

but i think this one is alright and kind of sexually neutral. would you think twice if he said "jerking themselves off?" because i wouldn't.

i dunno.

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's only missing "ilk" for the right wing trifecta.

there's something behind the disingenuous language that extremist right wing posters use, and i mean the exact words. i'm not sure what that something is, but it's there. it's like there's a primer out there. or maybe it's fox news sourced language? you never hear clap-trap, screed, or ilk unless some extremist is going off about something.

God lord.  Only here could my posts be labeled, “right wing extremist”.  Unreal.

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

normally i'm right there with you as i'm trying to be a better person with my words.

but i think this one is alright and kind of sexually neutral. would you think twice if he said "jerking themselves off?" because i wouldn't.

i dunno.

Yeah, I would disagree.  I wouldn't think anything of him saying jerking themselves off, because he is a dude.  Saying that dummies have clits is where it goes off the rails.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

God lord.  Only here could my posts be labeled, “right wing extremist”.  Unreal.

only here?

as compared to where, exactly?

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I would disagree.  I wouldn't think anything of him saying jerking themselves off, because he is a dude.  Saying that dummies have clits is where it goes off the rails.  

a-ha. i understand the distinction. thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah sorry, joke about meant to be about sexually inadequate men, I’ll think more about words next time.

Thanks.  Yeah, I know it is a fine line, and usually, I am pretty unoffended at a lot of things, but given there is a group here that thinks taking away women's rights is totally cool (and I know you are absolutely against that), I think we should all do better.  

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Yeah, I am going to call bullshit on that.

Just now, Incredulity said:

Anywhere that isn’t a leftist circle jerk 

this place is not a leftist circle jerk.

might be you could, i dunno, benefit from some introspection and ask yourself why you think this place is a leftist circle jerk.

and again, as compared to what?

you want a leftist circle jerk, i can direct you towards:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/

as compared to that place, surly is texags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this place is not a leftist circle jerk.

might be you could, i dunno, benefit from some introspection and ask yourself why you think this place is a leftist circle jerk.

and again, as compared to what?

you want a leftist circle jerk, i can direct you towards:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/

as compared to that place, surly is texags.

I’m referencing the realm of sanity 

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Kindly quote any post I have made that promotes, “right wing extremist” views.

well, first we would have to agree on what right wing extremist means. i think it means you, because you post some crazy ass right wing extremist shit here. 

for instance, say, this fucking thread. you probably do not want people combing through your posts for examples of right wing extremist views. that might not end like you think it would.

but, in case you missed it and of course you did, i was talking specifically about coded language that right wing extremists (like yourself, i want to be clear here, i absolutely think you are a right wing extremist) use in online forums as strange self-identifiers. i'm sure left wing extemists do the same thing, but i don't see it as clearly.

but then, i'm compelled to ask you a question: do you consider yourself extremely right wing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Atlanta Protests (some violence)