Atlanta Protests (some violence)

Incredulity

47 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

FWIW the only person that posts on Surly I would straight up assert is a right wing extremist is Iconoclast, whatever username he's using now, I forget. Maybe Poe as well.

Having right wing brain rot from watching too much Ben Shapiro or whoever the fuck and just nodding along without a single critical thought and/or jacking off to Elon Musk tweets is a different thing. You're never really going to reach either person, but they're not the same animal.

This.  The over-simplification of every far right-winger being the same degree of stupid/insane/lost just isn't productive, nor fair.  

AfterIrth and Pilot's Error are really the only two I can think of that are beyond far gone.  WorkswithSeed was getting there, but he's still young and we're supposed to be assholes at that age.  What far-right posters forget here is that unlike a lot of echo chambers, both sides have lots and lots of highly educated, successful people on here.  The shit you get away with on facebook or 4chan doesn't fly here and they're smart enough to know that.  Hence all the wisecracks.  

Back to this facility as a recruiting tool.  From reading objective sources, it's starting to sound like that was part of the impetus to clear-cut...they just didn't expect such a huge public backlash.  After all, there's dozens of clearings like that taking place every single day in this country.  But yeah, some off-the-grid rally track where they could play army and shoot guns and fuck around and have nobody know about it or audit it...that seems attractive. 

It is SEC country, so facilities matter.  Meanwhile, I have 2-stars humbly asking my bond oversight group for basic bathroom upgrades, another helicopter, and to move their horses away from the homeless lunatics on red River that keep trying to fuck 'em.  You know, basic cop shit.  

19 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

FWIW the only person that posts on Surly I would straight up assert is a right wing extremist is Iconoclast, whatever username he's using now, I forget. Maybe Poe as well.

Having right wing brain rot from watching too much Ben Shapiro or whoever the fuck and just nodding along without a single critical thought and/or jacking off to Elon Musk tweets is a different thing. You're never really going to reach either person, but they're not the same animal.

I find your screed against my ilk very offensive. 

• Haha 1

I assume that by this point Atlanta is completely burned down and the rioters are headed for the suburbs.  Does anyone know which direction the rioters are heading, because my brother lives about an hour's drive north, and I'd like to send him thoughts and prayers if necessary?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I assume that by this point Atlanta is completely burned down and the rioters are headed for the suburbs.  Does anyone know which direction the rioters are heading, because my brother lives about an hour's drive north, and I'd like to send him thoughts and prayers if necessary?

it's too late. they've probably cannibalized the suburbs now and are moving on to other cities

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Buzzrock?  

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

if they manage to find themselves a prison with a big fence and a big yard and a cache of weapons, make sure they lock themselves into the cells each night just in case they become antifa overnight - you don't want that sort of thing getting out of the cell and spreading to the rest of them

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

if they manage to find themselves a prison with a big fence and a big yard and a cache of weapons, make sure they lock themselves into the cells each night just in case they become antifa overnight - you don't want that sort of thing getting out of the cell and spreading to the rest of them

this is fucking antifa apocalypse 101 shit and it's just sloppy writing to suggest that they wouldn't simply close the doors to the prison cells they are sleeping in as they fucking live through the antifa apocalypse what the shit goddamn. 

• Rage+1 1

@hayden_horn can you change the thread title to something less disinformation-y? It's outrageous to let a thread title like this exist when it's sooooooo far from the actual facts of what happened.

As more details come out about this protester's killing, the cops story isn't adding up and its becoming apparent that the cops have been over-charging protesters just to get them out of the forest so it could be bulldozed (per AP's reporting).

So we've lost Atlanta and Memphis in the last two weeks?  You'd think we would read/hear about 7.5mm Americans between the two MSA's being driven out by violence, arson, murder, rape, larceny, and rioting?  I guess we already lost Portland and Austin too?  And of course, we all know what's been happening in Chicago lo these many years...

I guess the only place that's safe are rural hellscapes.

December 2022: Domestic terrorism charges for multiple activists

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said five people face domestic terrorism charges, accused of throwing rocks and bottles at police cars and EMTs along Bouldercrest Road

“nothing to see here, not that bad”-Surly Leftists 

Did you think about what a massive self own this is for even one second before posting?
  • Drool 1

So we've lost Atlanta and Memphis in the last two weeks?  You'd think we would read/hear about 7.5mm Americans between the two MSA's being driven out by violence, arson, murder, rape, larceny, and rioting?  I guess we already lost Portland and Austin too?  And of course, we all know what's been happening in Chicago lo these many years...
I guess the only place that's safe are rural hellscapes.

Was in Chicago for work today. Can confirm, am dead.
  • Haha 5

Unhinged MAGA Reporting:  "Memphis and Atlanta have fallen to BLM/Antifa.  Thundersleet caused by Jewish space lasers causing havoc across the Gulf States. Here's what that means for gas prices in the Rockies and the Midwest as CRT comes for your children"  

Reality:  "Memphis and Atlanta had a few highway ramps blocked off for a couple of hours by non-violent protests.  Dallas and Waco had a few highway ramps blocked off for a couple of hours by January ice.  Gas prices are set by the global geo-political commodity known as crude oil.  And earlier this month, my daughter received an assignment to write a paragraph about the work of MLK.  And she earnestly asked why he was assassinated.  And I told her the same reason they killed Gandhi, Bobby, John Lennon, and Jesus.  Part of our society doesn't like it when people start talking about being nice to one another.  So she went to the pages in her textbook about Dr. King's life and got a weird thing called facts.  My unhinged opinion on this very forum four years ago was that we were just a few years away from book banning and book burning.  And I was called an Unhinged TDS Sufferer.  And now that I serve on my ISD's committee regarding book removals, and have seen a burning in Tennessee...there is no CRT indoctrination/woke agenda.  Only those of on the righteous side of history and those we will gladly leave back behind in the darkness...where they belong."

Memphis, Atlanta, and other cities---they don't protest because of what they just found out what historically happened to their communities in books.  They protest because they read that stuff in books and can't fucking believe that shit is still going on today.  They made their peace with yesterday, they're rightfully pissed about today, and all some of you want to do is pretend tomorrow never comes.   

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Unhinged MAGA Reporting:  "Memphis and Atlanta have fallen to BLM/Antifa.  Thundersleet caused by Jewish space lasers causing havoc across the Gulf States. Here's what that means for gas prices in the Rockies and the Midwest as CRT comes for your children"  

Reality:  "Memphis and Atlanta had a few highway ramps blocked off for a couple of hours by non-violent protests.  Dallas and Waco had a few highway ramps blocked off for a couple of hours by January ice.  Gas prices are set by the global geo-political commodity known as crude oil.  And earlier this month, my daughter received an assignment to write a paragraph about the work of MLK.  And she earnestly asked why he was assassinated.  And I told her the same reason they killed Gandhi, Bobby, John Lennon, and Jesus.  Part of our society doesn't like it when people start talking about being nice to one another.  So she went to the pages in her textbook about Dr. King's life and got a weird thing called facts.  My unhinged opinion on this very forum four years ago was that we were just a few years away from book banning and book burning.  And I was called an Unhinged TDS Sufferer.  And now that I serve on my ISD's committee regarding book removals, and have seen a burning in Tennessee...there is no CRT indoctrination/woke agenda.  Only those of on the righteous side of history and those we will gladly leave back behind in the darkness...where they belong."

Memphis, Atlanta, and other cities---they don't protest because of what they just found out what historically happened to their communities in books.  They protest because they read that stuff in books and can't fucking believe that shit is still going on today.  They made their peace with yesterday, they're rightfully pissed about today, and all some of you want to do is pretend tomorrow never comes.   

although a bit wordy, solid post.

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is that a jawa?

Nonsense, they never walk alone.  Or they always do.  Something about hiding their numbers.  I dunno, I wasn't paying attention to the old man.  

this would be an excellent time for somebody to post that barefoot MTG standing on the beach though.  I think she might be half Jawa, or at least half sand-people.

Plus, I don't like it when people change fonts/cases on protest signs.  Colors of marker maybe, but make a commitment to block printing in a standard font.  

I'll give him credit, he did ventilate the sign after that windy pro-choice rally in Chicago years ago.  But yeah, he seems like a douchebag who would tell you he doesn't use one-off posterboard that ends up in landfills.  He uses that organic hemp sheet there over and over again washing the reusable conflict-free sharpie off of it.

Edited by YGIFS

In a statement on its website, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said it is "not releasing any videos currently because agents are continuing to conduct key interviews and want to maintain the integrity of the investigation.  We ask for your patience while we go through the processes needed to complete the investigation.  At that time, our case file will be given to a special prosecutor."

In other words, "please give us time to see if we can figure out a bullshit cover story!"

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Bump

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/atlanta-cop-city-activist-killed-shot-13-times-by-police-autopsy/

I'm not inclined to believe the cops who all somehow had bodycam malfunctions at the exact same time

oh, i'm sure they'll be forthcoming with their findings.

Police are reviewing body camera videos, witness statements and forensic evidence.

Interesting wording:

image.png.17d9027b715682264d08538069423519.png

I don't know if that's vague writing by CBS or oddly obscure language from the Georgia FBI. 

This could literally merely mean that the gun was fired presumably at the trooper.

It doesn't state that the cop was hit by a bullet from this gun. It also doesn't say if the bullet that struck the officer was recovered. Maybe another account answers these questions, but this one does not.

The victim surely doesn't look like a guy who'd shoot at the police. Like I hear about most gun owners, he only owns it for self protection which isn't odd for someone who spends time in a tent.

My wild speculation?

The cops surround the tent and demand he come out. He says no. He's a protester and he'll have to be dragged out which is not uncommon.

Cops pull their pistols since they can't see the victim's hands. Not unreasonable, but that sure is a lot of guns in people's hands.

A cop accidentally discharges his weapon. Every cop opens fire. The idiots surrounded the tent, so bullets are zinging towards other officers. One gets hit. 

They gather round the body to gloat then they realize what happened. They rejoice to find this guy's gun in his tent and fire it. Then they get their story straight.

I don't think the victim started anything having to do with shooting. 

But I don't know shit beyond police history.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Atlanta Protests (some violence)
  • 1 month later...

Autopsy reveals anti-'Cop City' activist's hands were raised when shot and killed:

A second autopsy of an environmental activist who was shot and killed by the Georgia State Patrol on Jan. 18 shows their hands were raised when they were killed, lawyers for their family say. The full autopsy report will be released at a press conference Monday.

The 26-year-old protester, Manuel Esteban Paez Terán, was killed in an Atlanta-area forest while police cleared an encampment of activists who oppose the construction of Atlanta's "Cop City" — or Public Training Safety Facility. Terán went by Tortuguita.

"Both Manuel's left and right hands show exit wounds in both palms. The autopsy further reveals that Manuel was most probably in a seated position, cross-legged when killed," lawyers said in a press release.

Last month, Tortuguita's family said they were shot at least a dozen times.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says officers killed Tortuguita in self-defense after they shot a state trooper, but the City of Atlanta released videos in which an officer suggests the trooper may have been injured by friendly fire.

The Atlanta Police Department said that the "officers had no immediate knowledge of the events at the shooting site" before making their comments, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said that officer's speculation is not evidence.

Tortuguita's family has sued for the release of more information under the Georgia Open Records Act, the press release says.

"Imagine the police killed your child. And now then imagine they won't tell you anything. That is what we are going through," Belkis Terán, Tortuguita's mother, said in a statement.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation hasn't released the government's autopsy report or met with Tortuguita's family, and it blocked the City of Atlanta from releasing more video evidence. It has said there's no body camera or dashcam footage of the shooting, and that ballistics evidence shows the bullet that injured the trooper came from a gun belonging to Tortuguita.

The actions of the GBI to prevent inappropriate release of evidence are solely intended to preserve the integrity of the investigation and to ensure the facts of the incident are not tainted," the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

The family's lawyers dispute this rationale. Attorney Brian Spears said in a statement that the agency "has had more than enough time to interview all witnesses. Once those interviews are complete, there is no reason to withhold this evidence."

Those who knew Tortuguita say the details offered by authorities don't match the person they knew. In interviews, while they were still alive, Tortuguita expressed a commitment to nonviolence.

The training facility is set to cost $90 million and take up 85 acres of land in the South River Forest, which is an important area of green space that the City of Atlanta has described as one of its four "lungs." Tortuguita was one of the forest defenders camping out on the site to prevent its development.

At a press conference at a Stop Cop City children's march and rally on Saturday, Tortuguita's mother shared memories of Tortuguita cleaning beaches in Panama, where their family is from, and of them feeding and sheltering people everywhere they lived.

"I'm suffering," Belkis Terán said. "But this suffering is giving to me power — power to fight, power to stand."

Great work from incredulity, as always. 

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

It’s so completely perfect that the leftists cried enough the mods changed the thread name.

Clapping Applause GIF

You do know that you don't get to just call a police murder a "riot" because it's convenient right? The cops shot a man whose hands were raised and was sitting cross legged, and then tried to play victim when they shot one of their own. 

Fascists don't get to rewrite facts, so sorry!

• Hook 'Em 2