Am I the asshole?

CooterBrown

Title sums it up. Figured we needed a surly version of this popular subreddit.

I'll start.

I like my old school chain link fence. Fits my central Austin 'hood and requires zero maintenance. I like the openess of it. It's been there for 60 years and it'll be there until the day my lot is eventually scrapped for a new build.

An out of town developer from Plano is building a spec house behind me. It'll list for around $1.5-2M when complete.  The builder approached me about replacing the fence with a privacy fence at his cost. I said he could buy the rights to replace the fence from me for $10,000.  Normally, you'd solve this dilemma by just building the fence a foot inside of the chain link fence. His problem is that he'd have to put his new fence at least 5 feet from the existing fence because there are four trees in his backyard along the existing fence.  I'm holding my ground. If he comes back to negotiate, the price is going up.  

Am I the asshole?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Title sums it up. Figured we needed a surly version of this ...

I would think the answer to a Surly version of this will always be: Yes

~~~

You might end up wishing you had a privacy fence when your new 600lb neighbors are having a pool party in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tough one. You want this new monstrosity of a house looking out into your yard? I don't get "liking" chainlink but wouldn't the new fence be zero maintenance if the other guy is handling it?

I definitely don't think the builder is being an asshole except for the fact he's from Plano building $2M in Austin. I guess that makes you the asshole?

I don't think there's an asshole here yet. It's your property, replacing a fence with a different kind of fence is a non trivial change even if it is free. If you like your fence, it seems reasonable to say no unless you're given some kind of incentive. Of course, other side of the line is his property and he may have some other options apart from cash to incentivize you. I could see why he might feel like he's being shaken down.

From a practical perspective, do you still want the chain fence when this new house is done being built behind you? Are you properly understanding that your choice is not between change/no change?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

From a practical perspective, do you still want the chain fence when this new house is done being built behind you? Are you properly understanding that your choice is not between change/no change?

There was a one story house before and there'll be a new one story house after.  No difference at all from my perspective. 

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There was a one story house before and there'll be a new one story house after.  No difference at all from my perspective. 

Fair nuff - I've been following a hyde park saga on facebook where a long time resident is documenting the view out her office window being replaced with a wall. Which.... sucks but them's the breaks.

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Maybe negotiate them pressure washing it every few years, staining if necessary, and replacing any board as needed?

Actually, not a bad idea to use this as a basis for them paying you. Calculate the cost of eventually having to re-stain it and/or replace it. Those are actual costs you will eventually incur that would've been avoided by keeping the chain link. Set that as your floor, then get as much extra as you can for the inconvenience and it not being what you'd prefer to see daily. 

Spillling over from random thoughts thread…

am I seriously this irredeemable piece of shit for taking 17 items to the 10 items or less self-checkout line, even if it takes me roughly the same amount of time to check out as it does most of those slow people to check out 10? Wasn’t expecting such hate in the other thread. Also I didn’t truly laugh at the lady that asked me if I had 10 items, it was more of a chuckle.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

am I seriously this irredeemable piece of shit for taking 17 items to the 10 items or less self-checkout line, even if it takes me roughly the same amount of time to check out as it does most of those slow people to check out 10? Wasn’t expecting such hate in the other thread. Also I didn’t truly laugh at the lady that asked me if I had 10 items, it was more of a chuckle.

*fewer.  And yes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It's one of the reasons. 

• Haha 1

Do what you want on your own land, but actually preferring a shitty chain link fence when a new one won’t cost a dime? You might not be an asshole but you’re a bit WT and maybe harming your own property value 

No shit. We have a privacy fence. They’re nice…but cost 11 grand.

Get rid of your eye sore, free of charge. Just because you like your chain link fence doesn’t mean 95% of potential buyers will.

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Maybe negotiate them pressure washing it every few years, staining if necessary, and replacing any board as needed?

This. Who’s responsible for the care and maintenance of the new fence? If it’s you then ask to be compensated for that. Are you sure $10K is enough?

47 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think there’s a potential for it to be ok if you had several repeats of the same item. Like 4 apples aren’t going to be counted separately in my opinion- that’s just one item. If it was a 15 item limit and you had 17, also who cares. All that said, 17 items in a 10 or less line seems like you’re taking advantage 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Yes it is fucked up and you should have been shot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I do this all the time and check myself out faster than most of the regards with only 5 items. 

Once someone said something but I just ignored them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

If there is a line for the self-checkout lanes and you pull this, I vote death penalty.

Otherwise, 18 months is jail is fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

He could always do this around the trees and leave your chain link alone. Or he might say fine I’ll just cut down all of the trees which could be bad for your shade situation. I’m always shocked how little developers care about mature trees.

image.jpeg.5fc3511d0f3f2e973f25034fa4aff479.jpeg

Edited by 'stache