Am I the asshole?

CooterBrown

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Choosing between a Surly poster and an out-of-town real estate developer is like choosing between herpes and syphilis.

Thankfully, we can now choose drug-resistant gonorrhea!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/01/gonorrhea-is-becoming-unstoppable-highly-resistant-cases-found-in-us/

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Spillling over from random thoughts thread…

am I seriously this irredeemable piece of shit for taking 17 items to the 10 items or less self-checkout line, even if it takes me roughly the same amount of time to check out as it does most of those slow people to check out 10? Wasn’t expecting such hate in the other thread. Also I didn’t truly laugh at the lady that asked me if I had 10 items, it was more of a chuckle.

Yes.

Edited by Sam Lin
drugs are bad mmmkay

10 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm not even using a cart. I've got a small soft cooler and one grocery bag.

I'm in and out of HEB in 15 minutes every time I go so I know I'm not holding anyone up. This is usually between 10 and 11 am. Only a fucktarded idiot would shop between 5 and 6.

Two separate posts to justify your actions to the assholes of Surly: you're an asshole. Quit trying to rationalize and just own it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back to the OP: Is the developer going to live in the house and become your neighbor? If so, then I would say be nice in the negotiations to keep up friendly relations with the neighbors. If he's going to flip it or rent it out, fuck him.

It’s a spec house that’ll be listed for sale. I doubt the developer himself has even been to Austin. I’ve only spoken to the GM running the project.

Last one: am I an asshole for being from Texas and liking the Yankees? The part of the state I’m from is hours away from the closest pro team but the Yankees were on tv a lot. Baseball board is filled with sensitive pussy astro fans so that skews perception over there. I feel like it’s not even remotely a big deal and that no one should care.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Last one: am I an asshole for being from Texas and liking the Yankees? The part of the state I’m from is hours away from the closest pro team but the Yankees were on tv a lot. Baseball board is filled with sensitive pussy astro fans so that skews perception over there. I feel like it’s not even remotely a big deal and that no one should care.

No.  If anyone is bent because of that then they are probably the same ones who wear jerseys to nfl games are get their videos posted in the nfl goons thread. 

But also fuck the Yankees.  Go Braves 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No, but only because you said "sensitive pussy astro fans" which gets bonus points from the judges.

I'm a self-loathing Rangers fan with about a 0.3% hope of winning a title since the event(s) that shall not be named...so...yeah.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s a spec house that’ll be listed for sale. I doubt the developer himself has even been to Austin. I’ve only spoken to the GM running the project.

And ten years from now, when it's sold a couple of more times and the fence needs repairs, that owner likely will stop by to see if you want to go in on half of it.  Of course, you will tell them that it's not your fence.  But if your C/L was replaced by it, it is your fence.  Might as well get paid for it, or make them put up a fence and keep your C/L fence so you don't look like you're getting something for nothing when repair time rolls around.  For all the upsides of privacy fences, they aren't forever and they aren't cheap.

Here's one for you guys.  I came home one night and there were some dudes waiting for me.  They shook me down for money they claimed my wife owed them.  I'm not married.  I tried to explain this to them.  They eventually figured it out (I've got the same name as this other guy in town).  But before they left, one of them pissed on my rug.  It really tied the room together.  So I go to the other guy to try to get him to reimburse me (his wife owes money all over town).  But the old bastard just started yelling at me that he didn't urinate on my rug (no shit, that was Wu), insulted my generation, and questioned whether I was employed.  As I left, I lied to his assistant about what we'd agreed upon and took one of his rugs home with me.  Since then I've been avoiding his calls.

Who's the asshole here, apart from the carpet pisser?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not at all. Bonus points for anything you do which annoys Astros fans.

My top 3 groups to troll online:

1. aggy

2. Magatards

3. Astros fans.

They are pretty much all the same mental demographic.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

So, have we fully separated out the “rules for thee, but not for me” Surly posters?

I wonder what the breakdown/relationship is in these threads/posters between 15 items or less, not returning shopping carts, parking in special designated spots, dragging ass in the left hand lanes, and other rules are?

100% asshole, breaks all rules all the time,
0% asshole, obey all rules all the time?

• Hook 'Em 1

To the fence OP, yes you are an asshole, but it took me a bit to determine why. 

People everywhere today, especially neighbors, have become giant jackasses to each other. Any daily perusal of NextDoor or FaceBook is proof. The world didn’t use to be this way, and shouldn’t be. 

You are just being a jackass with the developer, but not because you are asking for money. It’s the way you are behaving.

You could have asked for the same thing or something similar by explaining to him professionally that the maintenance costs over time for a privacy fence are much higher, and will need replacement much earlier.

Instead, if he balks at your offer, instead of sitting down like adults and trying to hammer out an agreement, you want to act like a petulant little child and raise the price. You are being a huge prick just because your attitude. Grow up dickweed. 

Love you neighbor. ❤️

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/23/2023 at 3:42 PM, MissingInAction said:

I'm not even using a cart. I've got a small soft cooler and one grocery bag.

I'm in and out of HEB in 15 minutes every time I go so I know I'm not holding anyone up. This is usually between 10 and 11 am. Only a fucktarded idiot would shop between 5 and 6.

That's great. You're rationalizing your rule breaking. Everybody can justify why a rule should not apply to them in any given situation. Doesn't make them right.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

He could always do this around the trees and leave your chain link alone. Or he might say fine I’ll just cut down all of the trees which could be bad for your shade situation. I’m always shocked how little developers care about mature trees.

image.jpeg.5fc3511d0f3f2e973f25034fa4aff479.jpeg

Cooter, I wouldn't tempt fate. There's no low some people won't stoop to. 

It's probably cheaper for him to knock down these four trees and build the fence wherever he wants and give you $0.

(Note: some municipalities have prohibitions against back-to-back fences.  And they require the "smooth" side toward you and the "rough" side ^^^^ see above^^^ toward his lot.

I had a dispute with a neighbor 15 years ago over him building a boat dock that partially blocked my view.  It went to the BoCC and he won.  Things always change and you can't fight City Hall.

Title sums it up. Figured we needed a surly version of this popular subreddit.
I'll start.
I like my old school chain link fence. Fits my central Austin 'hood and requires zero maintenance. I like the openess of it. It's been there for 60 years and it'll be there until the day my lot is eventually scrapped for a new build.
An out of town developer from Plano is building a spec house behind me. It'll list for around $1.5-2M when complete.  The builder approached me about replacing the fence with a privacy fence at his cost. I said he could buy the rights to replace the fence from me for $10,000.  Normally, you'd solve this dilemma by just building the fence a foot inside of the chain link fence. His problem is that he'd have to put his new fence at least 5 feet from the existing fence because there are four trees in his backyard along the existing fence.  I'm holding my ground. If he comes back to negotiate, the price is going up.  
Am I the asshole?
I'd give it a shot.

I've done a few projects in Crestview and South Austin where somebody insisted on keeping the chain link and forced the privacy fence to go well inside the new fence owner's lot line. Later they removed the chain link and had a significantly larger backyard And a nice free privacy fence. A couple feet the length of your property on some lots is significant.

I don't think you're an asshole to want to keep your chain link fence.  Little to no maintenance compared to a wood privacy fence.  If I was you, I'd consider requiring them to build the fence with a more durable (and expensive) composite material or something that would last longer than wood, plus ask for the $10k or whatever.  In 10 years whoever lives in that house is gonna be asking you to go halves to replace a wooden fence.  If they're building just to make a buck and not to live there, fuck 'em.  You don't owe them even a little bit of courtesy beyond what you want to give on the subject.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

If anything this thread has inspired me to be a bigger asshole. I've spent my entire life getting out of the way for others, letting kids eat first, using only one parking spot, and refilling the coffee pot.

Fuck all that.  It's ME TIME, BITCHES!!

Who lets kids eat first?  Little fuckers are usually outside playing. They’ll come in when they get hungry. Until then…peace and quiet and a good meal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no opinion on the fence. 

Grocery guy is kind of an asshole, within reason. I could let you slide with 13 in a max 10, or if you had duplicate items. Made me think, though. Am I an asshole for using the (no limit) self checkout at Kroger for big shopping trips if there are people behind me? They usually have a 12 and under self checkout as well so I don't feel so bad. Maybe I should. But probably not. Plus I'm fast af. 

9 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I have no opinion on the fence. 

Grocery guy is kind of an asshole, within reason. I could let you slide with 13 in a max 10, or if you had duplicate items. Made me think, though. Am I an asshole for using the (no limit) self checkout at Kroger for big shopping trips if there are people behind me? They usually have a 12 and under self checkout as well so I don't feel so bad. Maybe I should. But probably not. Plus I'm fast af. 

If there is no limit, who gives a shit how many items you have?  Definitely not the asshole.

• Hook 'Em 3

You are not an asshole for asking for what you asked for.  He's the one asking for change and or infringing upon you.  You made a proposal let him accept or counter.  Being "neighborly" has little to do with this transaction.  A developer's intent when they go in is primarily to make a profit.  So, his motive, most likely, has little to do with being a good neighbor and more about selling the house.  If i were him i wouldn't want to look at your ugly fence and might want some privacy.  You know that so you are leveraging it.  I don't have a problem with that. 

If the request had come from an actual neighbor who had been there some time, then I may feel differently about your approach being asshole-ish.  I know it would bother me, every time i looked at my backyard, to see a new wooden fence on one side and old ass chain link on the other sides.    

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Who the fuck still has a chain link fence? Get with the times. I personally do not like them because I don't want random mother fuckers looking in my backyard at things I have and seeing what I'm up to. 

We all know what you are doing as a fence doesn't hide that skunk smell emanating from your backyard, hoss.

Yes you entitled prick you are an asshole for going through the 10 item line with 17 items. Go to a normal line and hope you don't encounter another asshole who will then let you go in front of them line a normal fucking human being would do to be considerate.

You aren't an asshole for being a Yankees fan from Texas, that is offensive to assholes, you are a bandwagon bitchboy. Big difference.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Assuming cl fence is on the exact property line-what are the rules about ownership?

Assume that an earlier owner of his property paid and installed fence-would it matter?

Seems like he has as much right to the line as you do.

Developers I know would wait until you are gone and replace it anyway. What are you gonna do about it really?

I like to piss in the backyard way too much to have a chain link fence...

45 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Go to a normal line and hope you don't encounter another asshole who will then let you go in front of them line a normal fucking human being would do to be considerate.

Wait, what? Are you saying I'm an asshole if I have a normal amount of groceries and don't let someone with only 17 items cut in front of me? Where does that end? If they have one less item than me? Less than half? Where does this madness end in your mind?

On 1/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, Helobious said:

Liking a pro sports team based solely on geography is weird to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Surly Bevo said:

If somebody is deemed as worth more to society than somebody else (let's say a brain surgeon with a heart of gold vs a methhead tweeker) both show up to the 10 items or less lane at the same time....... yea the math would say the first guy's time is worth more than the second guy's time.

Helobius ain't that guy though....and therein lies the problem.  People overvalue themselves.  

Verdict:  Asshole

How do you know if I’m a brain surgeon or not?

maybe don’t answer actually

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Anyone who gets in the 10 items or less line with more than 10 items should have their balls chopped off and shoved down their throat while simultaneously being raped by a rusty sword.  Yes a bunch of the same item still counts separately.  The only exception is something that gets weighed or typed in like bananas.