Am I the asshole?

CooterBrown

Surly, your beratement and ridicule of me has truly helped society.

Hit up HEB for chicken soup supplies which came out to 17 items.

All the self checkouts were open, but I heard "Don't do it you fucking asshole" come from deep within.

Thank you all for helping me along in my journey to asshole enlightenment. 

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

23 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I love it!

One thing to think about before you taunt and rub your enemies nose in it is make sure it's not gonna bite you in the butt. I don't know how the legality or ethics of it works, but could he be in trouble for choosing a lower offer based on subjective things (race, color, creed, who is best friends) within real estate transactions? Or is that just with banks and realtors and not sellers?

WWABD

What would Archie Bunker do?

34 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

All the self checkouts were open, but I heard "Don't do it you fucking asshole" come from deep within.

Is there a maximum amount of items you're supposed to stay under at HEB self checkout? I've never noticed that. I'm rarely ever buying more than 10 items though. 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:49 PM, Helobious said:

You should’ve seen the lines at the regular checkout. I know no one on here believes it but I really am pretty fast at the self-checkout and was of the opinion I could do all my 17 items in the same time most people do 10. Fwiw the HEB employee overseeing the area didn’t notice/care at all. I guess some people have made decent points though, I think going forward I won’t go above 12 or 13 items. 

First, let me state that you are most certainly an asshole. But the degree of assholery is somewhat mitigated by this being self-checkout. I give way fewer shits about going over in self-checkout because, at my store, there are like 12 stations and one will open up sooner than later. Plus, if you're a fast checker-outer, and you don't have a bunch of produce you have to search for, you can get through relatively quickly. But still, definite asshole.

But if you go into the 15 items or less line with 22 items where a checker is scanning your shit, I get pretty rage-y. And if you don't bag your shit and make the checker do it after they scan all your shit, I'm gonna give you a "really asshole?" look the entire fucking time. 

In short - 7 items over in self-checkout? You're an asshole, but I'll allow it. 7 items over in the 15 or less line? Fuck you, you dipshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m making a game of memorizing the PLU codes for all my produce so I can just punch them in at the register. Garlic bulbs are 4608; that’s the most recent addition to my knowledge base.

Between this and the spreadsheet of discontinued items, you might be taking the grocery store a little more serious than the average citizen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Mittens said:

image.thumb.png.f83ddad23c42d0f7bb6f123e6f51d034.png

So it is.

This is an interesting one as I thought Helo has been talking about a designated 10 items or fewer* self check and it hadn't occurred to me that they're all 10 items or fewer. 

The only thing I care about and that honestly matters is how quickly you're checking out. I'd never even blink twice if some dude was ringing up more than 10 items. But if you're ringing out 2 items and it takes you 5 minutes I might roll my eyes a bit. 

I think it's a good guideline as on average more items = more time checking out - especially because the potential of an item not scanning correctly and having to get an employee is raised. They also probably want to avoid having to walk some intellectually challenged person or old through scanning 23 items and fucking up the whole process.

If you're wheeling a shopping cart with 2 weeks groceries through self check you're obviously a huge asshole - but I might contend that as long as you can fit your items in a hand basket (and can competently scan and pay for your groceries) then self-check is fair game. I would say if you're going to an actual 10 items or fewer register with an employee scanning and you have 15+ items then that's definitely asshole behavior. 

Let's not pretend like HEB is enforcing the 10 item limit at self-check or not encouraging everyone that can to go through self-check. 

I'm definitely going to start monitoring this whenever I'm at HEB because I suspect a ton of people are breaking the item limit. I've probably done it without it occurring to me a couple times. 

Self checkout:

A) If there’s a line, then you have to keep at/under the limit. No exception. Doesn’t matter how fast you are. You are not faster than zero seconds, which is how fast the person behind you would be at the checkout if you were following the rules.

B) If there is no line, and several stalls open, and you are fast, you can go over… within reason. If you can comfortably carry it in a hand cart, then it’s probably fine. The overall rule here has to be that there is zero chance of a line forming before you finish. 

C) Regardless of whether there is a line or not, if you aren’t capable of completing your transaction in 2-3 minutes, self checkout is not for you. I don’t care if you only have two items. Get in, get out, quit fuckin about. 

Edited by SquishMitten
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

HEB is the exception.  At least mine is.  Those people are FAST - my cart is usually ready to roll before the slow ass card machine is done processing my payment.
Are you one of those assholes that waits until every item is scanned before inserting your card?

You can make payment at Heb as soon as the first item is scanned.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Are you one of those assholes that waits until every item is scanned before inserting your card?

How does that work with scanning the coupons from my phone? Can the system scan and acknowledge all my coupons before the items in question have been scanned? Serious question. Bc otherwise yes, I wait until they’re done so they can scan my app and have the coupons register. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Self checkout:

A) If there’s a line, then you have to keep at/under the limit. No exception. Doesn’t matter how fast you are. You are not faster than zero seconds, which is how fast the person behind you would be at the checkout if you were following the rules.

B) If there is no line, and several stalls open, and you are fast, you can go over… within reason. If you can comfortably carry it in a hand cart, then it’s probably fine. The overall rule here has to be that there is zero chance of a line forming before you finish. 

C) Regardless of whether there is a line or not, if you aren’t capable of completing your transaction in 2-3 minutes, self checkout is not for you. I don’t care if you only have two items. Get in, get out, quit fuckin about. 

This should be stapled to all self checkouts, as well as to the faces of all violators. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:36 PM, MissingInAction said:

This post would have been better if you had said "All the self checkouts were open, but I heard 'Don't you do it you fucking asshole' come from deep within while I was using one of them."

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 2:38 PM, Born to Run said:

I'm sure he at least starts writing the check while the checker is scanning his items.

• Like 3

How does that work with scanning the coupons from my phone? Can the system scan and acknowledge all my coupons before the items in question have been scanned? Serious question. Bc otherwise yes, I wait until they’re done so they can scan my app and have the coupons register. 
I have no idea, folk singers don't fool with no Sky Mall. (or grocery store apps.)

On 1/27/2023 at 3:38 PM, Born to Run said:

So you’re going to stop scanning while you insert your card before you’ve finished scanning, and then start scanning again? How is that a time saver?

So you’re going to stop scanning while you insert your card before you’ve finished scanning, and then start scanning again? How is that a time saver?
FFS, after your first item is scanned at many terminals, but not all, you cam run your card and your payment will process after the last item is scanned This leaves you free to bag your shit up and gtfo

I was at Fiesta today which doesn't have any self checkouts - but has regular lines and 15 or less (fewer?) lines.

As I meandered towards the best 15 or less line I noticed a lady with a full shopping cart lined up at a 15 item register. I was disgusted. Probably much more so than I would have been before taking part in some of these discussions on Surly. 

So thanks to you assholes I'm pretty sure that for the rest of my life I'm going to scan people's baskets and observe their check out practices. 

11 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

FFS, after your first item is scanned at many terminals, but not all, you cam run your card and your payment will process after the last item is scanned This leaves you free to bag your shit up and gtfo

Personally I'm a fan of finding out what the total is and making sure that it lines up with what I'm purchasing before paying for anything. 

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:
16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does it take less time to run your card after the first item is scanned than it does to run it after the last item is scanned? Whatever time is spent running your card is either spent not scanning items or not bagging them, right? If you run it after the first item then you’re taking a break from scanning while you run your card. If you keep scanning items and wait to run your card until after, then you’re putting off bagging for presumably the same amount of time. Do you see what I’m saying? I’m still not seeing why one way is faster than the other  

Are the terminals marked so you know ahead of time which ones will let you run your card before all your items are scanned? If not then trying to run your card early at a terminal where it’s disallowed is a definite time waster. Seems to me that in that case the safest practice would be to just always wait to run your card until after you’ve scanned all your items.

Suppose you’re buying white onions. Do you go to the item look-up screen, select the “O” tab, then find and select the entry for “Onions, white?” Or do you just punch in “4663” and save those extra steps? I don’t know how much time you’re saving by running your card early, if any, but if you’re looking up each item of produce then at some number of different items I could pay cash, exact change even, and make it through self checkout faster than you. That’s a real time saver. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does it take less time to run your card after the first item is scanned than it does to run it after the last item is scanned? Whatever time is spent running your card is either spent not scanning items or not bagging them, right? If you run it after the first item then you’re taking a break from scanning while you run your card. If you keep scanning items and wait to run your card until after, then you’re putting off bagging for presumably the same amount of time. Do you see what I’m saying? I’m still not seeing why one way is faster than the other  

Are the terminals marked so you know ahead of time which ones will let you run your card before all your items are scanned? If not then trying to run your card early at a terminal where it’s disallowed is a definite time waster. Seems to me that in that case the safest practice would be to just always wait to run your card until after you’ve scanned all your items.

Suppose you’re buying white onions. Do you go to the item look-up screen, select the “O” tab, then find and select the entry for “Onions, white?” Or do you just punch in “4663” and save those extra steps? I don’t know how much time you’re saving by running your card early, if any, but if you’re looking up each item of produce then at some number of different items I could pay cash, exact change even, and make it through self checkout faster than you. That’s a real time saver. 

I'm not crazy; you're crazy. And here's why:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

So you add up all the line items and compute the the sales tax and deduct coupons before paying at the grocery store?

Ok...

Not to the exact cent amount - but yes? Within a few dollars at least if it's just a few times. If it's a grocery cart full then I still have a pretty good idea - probably within $5-$10 in each direction. 

Do you not look at the receipt at a bar or restaraunt before paying your bill? 

You can also get shit for free by scanning stuff and bagging it before you answer the “did you place a bag in the bagging area?” question.

Found that out on accident at Central Market when I put my bag down, scanned a pack of ribeyes, put them in the bag and then answered yes to the prompt. Scanned the rest , paid, and walked out. Got to my car before realizing I didn’t get charged for the steaks. Didn’t go back. No regrats.
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:26 PM, Pdawg88 said:

Not to interrupt, but we talked about this with our realtor. One thing different in the offers was the asshole wanted a refrigerator. We have an old 1940’s international harvester fridge I’ve had on our back porch. Every trip we go on we buy stickers from skateboard shops, cool restaurants and stuff like that. He wanted it. So that was our out of it became a problem. 

You're the guy I want in my armored car when we blaze across the Mad Max desert.

What's the fascination with speed? Is someone ordering you about? 

I avoid the self-checkout and saunter over to the most distracted-looking cashier. They'd rather look at their phone again, but here I am. I am nice, so nice that I force them to engage vestigial conversational skills. I don't have to do that, but I can. I don't even have to be nice. I have complete power. But I care for those forced to serve me, that is, unless I sense defiance. Sometimes they like to talk. So many of them have boyfriends in prison. They're lonely. Even if I pay with card I try to withdraw a little cash. Not because I need it, I don't. It's just that cash is dirty and I'm forcing them to handle it dirty dirty cash. Then I walk away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You can also get shit for free by scanning stuff and bagging it before you answer the “did you place a bag in the bagging area?” question.

Found that out on accident at Central Market when I put my bag down, scanned a pack of ribeyes, put them in the bag and then answered yes to the prompt. Scanned the rest , paid, and walked out. Got to my car before realizing I didn’t get charged for the steaks. Didn’t go back. No regrats.

Interesting. I might have to test that. I get a screen that says, “Are you using any reusable bags today?” That was added shortly before they eliminated the plastic grocery bags. There are two different fields you can select, one of them is a counter. I can’t remember exactly what’s on there, it’s been so long since I’ve done anything but just hit the “Continue” button to accept whatever the defaults are and move on. If I “test” it, I’ll be sure to use a pack of ribeyes and not a bag of beans. ;) 

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Interesting. I might have to test that. I get a screen that says, “Are you using any reusable bags today?” That was added shortly before they eliminated the plastic grocery bags. There are two different fields you can select, one of them is a counter. I can’t remember exactly what’s on there, it’s been so long since I’ve done anything but just hit the “Continue” button to accept whatever the defaults are and move on. If I “test” it, I’ll be sure to use a pack of ribeyes and not a bag of beans. ;) 

Well, I tested it. It didn’t work. I had a perfect setup, too. I decided to try it with butter so I saved that for last. They overcharged me on the next-to-last item so I summoned someone to correct it. (Want to know how often they accidentally undercharge you for an item? Exactly never.) That gave me the perfect excuse to forget to scan my butter before advancing to the reusable bags screen on my way to checkout. I would’ve kept the free butter and not felt bad about it if it had worked, too. I know I’ve been overcharged in the past and didn’t notice it in time to do anything about it. I figure it’s all in the game. To their credit, though, they’ll accept “Because I didn’t like it” as a reason to give you a refund on a returned item that’s already been opened. I’ve done that with both tea and honey. 

I read the op, but no the 4 pages of responses.  Here's what I'd say.

If the fence truly means something to you, tell the guy or homeowner and work it out.

If the fence is a side-thought, then take the $ and call it a day.  

This is not directed at the OP, but I feel that a lot of issues these days are due to folks overreacting or creating causes out of nothing.  I'd just accept the fence + $ or let it go.

• Like 1

(Want to know how often they accidentally undercharge you for an item? Exactly never.)

PSA

Academy is notorious for not keeping their shelf labels updated; on more than a few occasions I’ve scanned items that come up significantly less than anticipated.

One day I found a rack with a dozen or so $189 Loomis fishing rods with my preferred specifications and several scanned for $80 - even though they were all otherwise identical. That model rod hasn’t changed in years, and even though it’s not my favorite I keep them on hand for guests who fish with me.

I pointed it out to the manager, who just shrugged and said that maybe they were rotating stock and that the scanned price was correct. So I bought 3 of them.

The same thing happened with a $230 Concept C bait casting reel - it scanned at $180.

And now I play the Academy scanner game.
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:17 PM, BearSchlong said:

PSA

Academy is notorious for not keeping their shelf labels updated; on more than a few occasions I’ve scanned items that come up significantly less than anticipated.

One day I found a rack with a dozen or so $189 Loomis fishing rods with my preferred specifications and several scanned for $80 - even though they were all otherwise identical. That model rod hasn’t changed in years, and even though it’s not my favorite I keep them on hand for guests who fish with me.

I pointed it out to the manager, who just shrugged and said that maybe they were rotating stock and that the scanned price was correct. So I bought 3 of them.

The same thing happened with a $230 Concept C bait casting reel - it scanned at $180.

And now I play the Academy scanner game.

Wonder if that's store-specific or if prices are updated across all locations. Have you tried returning them without a receipt at a different location? Could be a sweet side hustle to rack up tons of store credit.