It's time we talked about pickup trucks

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Absolutely.  There are idiots that drive trucks. Some of those trucks are never off the pavement, tow anything or generally used like trucks.

Has EVER been an owner of an Audi, BMW, hot rod Camaro, exhaust-tuned Mustang, dipshit Mini Cooper or Dodge Challenger drive aggressively or drive like an A-hole?

Sorry you folks hate trucks.  I guess it is time they should be taken away from us and we all drive Ladas.

Sorry you're offended. I drive a truck. If you can't see that on par truck drivers are more aggressive than other drivers, you might want to take a look in the mirror.

My wife has lived in the US for almost 15 years hates pickup truck drivers and I understand her reasoning. Those little dicked fuckers with the really jacked up trucks, often with wheel spacers too love to get up on people’s asses on the highway. There is definitely a wannabe macho/small dick energy about them. Not to mention the diesel assholes that do the rolling coal bullshit.

It’s funny working in O&G. Most office buildings have parking garages, but many of these trucks won’t fit. So they end up in uncovered parking lots adjacent to the parking garage. Half these guys (and I am average height) need a fucking rope ladder to get into their pavement princesses.

I had two Tacomas, absolutely loved them. I wouldn’t own another brand of truck. Currently have a 4runner. Tacomas are more than enough truck for 75% of the pick up driving population. Plus they aren’t pieces of shit so you won’t be at the mechanic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I completely get the idea of a full-size being great for long road trips with lots of stuff. I just can’t imagine wanting to drive one daily if you didn’t have to because of work. I guess a lot has to do with where you live. Most places in Texas have parking for miles and street parking is something you just don’t do often.  

I was in DC a few years back for about two months and would rent cars on weekends for errands and stuff.  I had a deal where they basically gave whatever was on their lot for the price of a compact in exchange for renting every weekend. 

One weekend it was a crew cab F-150 and I loved it till the moment I had to street park it. Forget difficult to park, most spades I had to just drive past— if anyone’s ass or nose wasn’t lined up just right, it simply wouldn’t fit. 

East Coast parallel parking is an Olympic level sport. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Absolutely.  There are idiots that drive trucks. Some of those trucks are never off the pavement, tow anything or generally used like trucks.

Has EVER been an owner of an Audi, BMW, hot rod Camaro, exhaust-tuned Mustang, dipshit Mini Cooper or Dodge Challenger drive aggressively or drive like an A-hole?

Sorry you folks hate trucks.  I guess it is time they should be taken away from us and we all drive Ladas.

BMW 3-series is the worst, I think a lot of it is psychological. A tailgating truck isn’t just on your ass, they’re looming over you and at night they are lighting your world up.

I’d be happy if we just went away from the “angry insectoid” faces they all have back to a friendly truck, “I’m here to work” truck.

image.png.245daf00398613c2cb75db0b624ab5ad.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, locodos said:

Pickup trucks have gone from utilitarian cool to status symbol cool.   I just want to know who these giants are that can easily put something in the bed of their truck without opening the tailgate.  I have a Tundra Crewmax and its stupid what a pain in the ass it is to load and unload.  I always think about the OLD Tacoma I had that was quick nimble and easy to use.  

The older smaller trucks are become boutique / collector items now

How exactly does driving something that half the rest of the people drive equate to status symbol cool? If I was worried about status, there are way more vehicles out there that would get second looks at the red light over a truck. Also, simple solution for your second problem, trade your Tundra for any number of the smaller trucks that are now on the market. Problem solved.

It’s such a strange discussion worrying about what other people drive and their reasons for driving it. I agree the 2500’s have gotten too big which is why I’m getting out of it. However, I never sat in my F150’s thinking to myself boy I wish this thing was smaller. 2 kids, 2 dogs, a truck has basically been our open bed SUV for the last 17 years of having kids. Now, they do their own things so I may go a different direction and keep an old truck for truck duties.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll note that at my office in an ag business, outside of the old guy, I am the only person that doesn't drive a full sized truck with my Bronco sport. With the ability to lay seats down and a rubberized cargo area, I have as good of a cargo area as them, and I can work it up and down some of the narrow trails at the various parks on the River Bluffs, and leave usable space in my garage. For practicality I don't see what I would gain by paying significantly more for a truck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Much like America is really an insurance company with a military, most domestic auto manufacturers are really lending companies that specialize in SUVs/Trucks. And in the case of Dodge, it’s a predatory lending company. 

/noCR/ Light duty trucks are subject to easier emissions standards than cars.  Due to their size and that exemption, They are easier and cheaper to engineer, update, and produce, relative to cars, across a manufacturing line over time. With marketing, they sell for far more money and with much greater profit margins. It’s an easy decision for the companies to push trucks as the ultimate product.  Until the US closes the light truck exemption, and/or gas prices get and stay high, this trend will continue /noCR/

I know we’re focused on pickups, but as you note the SUV is also classified as a light truck. And that includes things like unibody cross overs and small SUVs like a C-RV. Absurd that the CAFE and emission standards for these things are different than a sedan or wagon because of maybe two inches of ride height. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

I'll note that at my office in an ag business, outside of the old guy, I am the only person that doesn't drive a full sized truck with my Bronco sport. With the ability to lay seats down and a rubberized cargo area, I have as good of a cargo area as them, and I can work it up and down some of the narrow trails at the various parks on the River Bluffs, and leave usable space in my garage. For practicality I don't see what I would gain by paying significantly more for a truck.

I hope you got the one with 4 cylinders. My wife has the 3 cylinder and it’s a dog. But even then, as you just described, it’s more than adequate and not the size of a carnaval cruise ship.

The venn diagram of... whatever the 2023 version of Ed Hardy t-shirts is and jacked up trucks overlap is probably entirely contained within the larger circle of asshole drivers.

I haven't always had a truck - I had a pontiac, I had my dad's old Saab 9000, I had my mom's old YukonXL, I spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of large trailer towing passenger and sprinter vans, and I had a TDI Sportwagen before I bought my F150 XLT for $31k in 2016. It and my Saab are my two favorite all time cars. My base requirement is that I have to be able to move at least 3 speaker cabinets. Pontiac obviously didn't meet that, but you'd be surprised about the Saab. I enjoy driving cars that are quick/low/responsive, but outside of that I do enjoy the comfort and space of a truck along with its utility. I wouldn't own it if I lived in a city center or was always driving around and parking downtown (outside maybe if i lived in the burbs and parked in a garage) because it would be a pain in the ass.

it is fucking bananas to me - that '96 Saab 9000 Aero was a quick sedan. It did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, which at that time was pretty fucking quick for a shoebox. I don't know what the 60 second time is on my F150 (the smaller turbo 6) but it's like.... 7.something seconds. It is fucking bananas what you can make occur if you push the pedal down all the way, which is something I don't think I've done even once. But, we moved from Austin to Raleigh and I pulled a U-Haul with a bunch of our stuff while the rest went to temporary storage - that was a great drive, and I didn't stress about getting up to highway speeds once.

17 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry you're offended. I drive a truck. If you can't see that on par truck drivers are more aggressive than other drivers, you might want to take a look in the mirror.

Not offended I just think singling out truck drivers as more aggressive than other drivers is dumb and not necessarily a proven fact.  I could be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I may be coming back stateside for a bit and if I need to get a second car— I have honestly been looking at last gen low-mileage Grand Marquis.  (That’s most of them since only grandparents bought them). 

They’re cheap as hell. They basically do not break (as evidenced by every PD in America flogging their Panther platforms to shit). I like the old-school feel and THAT is a true road trip cruiser. 

In 2003 my great aunt passed away and left me her '87 Grand Marquis. Garage kept, showroom floor condition and only 20,000 miles. My buddies named it the Pimp Mobile. I quickly sold the Nissan Frontier I had at the time and it became my daily driver for a few years. It was like a rolling living room furniture set. I had some really, really good times in that rig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a 2012 F150 up until a month or so ago when I handed it over to my son that just went to college up in Iowa.  He had a little fender bender in his vehicle just before heading off to college in late December and the body shops here were taking appointments for March.  So, I've been driving a piece of shit 2003 Highlander with 230K miles on it and a ding in the front passenger side fender for the last month.  It was time for me to look into getting a "newer" vehicle, so I wasn't too upset by the turn of events.  Hey, I was going to get a new truck!  Then I started looking.  Holy shit!  The price of new trucks, similar to my previous one, has put me in the market for something else.  I'm cheap and just can't justify spending 50K and up on a truck.  I work from home and the only driving I do is in and around town dropping kids off at school and other functions.  I could actually use a truck, but I won't pay that much money for a new one and I'm also not going to pay 30K for used one with 100K+ miles on it.  I'm getting an SUV and on the occasion that I need to haul something, I'll pull a trailer.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I hope you got the one with 4 cylinders. My wife has the 3 cylinder and it’s a dog. But even then, as you just described, it’s more than adequate and not the size of a carnaval cruise ship.

I have the 4 cylinder turbo, which is quick enough for the suicide merge I have on my commute. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not to worry.  I supercharged your old lady last night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I know we’re focused on pickups, but as you note the SUV is also classified as a light truck. And that includes things like unibody cross overs and small SUVs like a C-RV. Absurd that the CAFE and emission standards for these things are different than a sedan or wagon because of maybe two inches of ride height. 

Ironically (again No CR), the Obama administration's (and to a lesser degree CARB) attempting to improve auto safety and efficiency at the same time ended up pushing both manufacturers and buyers into less efficient vehicles.  It wasn't by design, but it's easier to make the safety requirements in a larger vehicle than it is in a VW Golf.  The companies make more money on the crossovers/SUVs/trucks, and the beancounter, marketing, and sales people took it from there.  I'm as guilty as the next:  I bought a VW Alltrack because I wanted the extra bit of lift and all wheel drive (despite the fact it's cheaper to just switch back and forth from winter to summer tires and you will get much better traction).  The extra weight of the Haldex knocks about 5 miles  off the MPG. 

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The venn diagram of... whatever the 2023 version of Ed Hardy t-shirts is and jacked up trucks overlap is probably entirely contained within the larger circle of asshole drivers.

I haven't always had a truck - I had a pontiac, I had my dad's old Saab 9000, I had my mom's old YukonXL, I spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of large trailer towing passenger and sprinter vans, and I had a TDI Sportwagen before I bought my F150 XLT for $31k in 2016. It and my Saab are my two favorite all time cars. My base requirement is that I have to be able to move at least 3 speaker cabinets. Pontiac obviously didn't meet that, but you'd be surprised about the Saab. I enjoy driving cars that are quick/low/responsive, but outside of that I do enjoy the comfort and space of a truck along with its utility. I wouldn't own it if I lived in a city center or was always driving around and parking downtown (outside maybe if i lived in the burbs and parked in a garage) because it would be a pain in the ass.

it is fucking bananas to me - that '96 Saab 9000 Aero was a quick sedan. It did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, which at that time was pretty fucking quick for a shoebox. I don't know what the 60 second time is on my F150 (the smaller turbo 6) but it's like.... 7.something seconds. It is fucking bananas what you can make occur if you push the pedal down all the way, which is something I don't think I've done even once. But, we moved from Austin to Raleigh and I pulled a U-Haul with a bunch of our stuff while the rest went to temporary storage - that was a great drive, and I didn't stress about getting up to highway speeds once.

The performance of modern cars is truly mindblowing.  My 2012 GTI performs better than a mid 90s Carrera from a timing perspective. Jay Leno had a great line when talking about his 80s Countach, which was his daily driver for awhile (and I'm paraphrasing): There is more technology difference between that 87-88 Countach and a modern sedan, then the Countach and the Model T. 

• Like 1

Not offended I just think singling out truck drivers as more aggressive than other drivers is dumb and not necessarily a proven fact.  I could be wrong.

It’s an easy logical line to draw without even going beyond the fact that trucks are disproportionately driven by men.

18 minutes ago, Brew said:

How exactly does driving something that half the rest of the people drive equate to status symbol cool? If I was worried about status, there are way more vehicles out there that would get second looks at the red light over a truck. Also, simple solution for your second problem, trade your Tundra for any number of the smaller trucks that are now on the market. Problem solved.

It’s such a strange discussion worrying about what other people drive and their reasons for driving it. I agree the 2500’s have gotten too big which is why I’m getting out of it. However, I never sat in my F150’s thinking to myself boy I wish this thing was smaller. 2 kids, 2 dogs, a truck has basically been our open bed SUV for the last 17 years of having kids. Now, they do their own things so I may go a different direction and keep an old truck for truck duties.

Jeans (dungarees) were invented for hard work... then on the basis of aesthetics alone they became popular and everyone started wearing them, not because they were coal miners or lumberjacks but because it became cool.  

Redwing boots...  built for miners, now a fixture on hipsters....   you get it, right?

Trucks used for work, cheap, and purpose built, time passes, and now you have GMC Denali for $80k, Tundras for $70k which are more tailored for public consumption than work.  Sure you can use them to haul and tow but that's not why they are being purchased.

As for you advice to sell the Tundra and buy a smaller truck...  well the current Tacoma is the same size as my 1st Gen Tundra (Which is still too big since I'm not towing big boats anymore).  Who makes a "small" pickup truck?  

I bought a new 2022 Canyon Denali last summer and I love it. I’ve always driven larger SUVs (sold my wife’s hatchback and gave her the Pathfinder for trips and room for kids, etc), but even though this vehicle is smaller than what I’m used to, I don’t know that I’d even want an F150 or sierra 1500 right now. I work downtown in Houston so dealing with traffic is super easy, it fits in my garage, gas mileage isn’t bad, and I have more utility with the bed than I did with the SUVs. I wouldn’t mind a little more comfort in the back seats, but I only plan to haul my kids back there anyway. Anytime we need room for adults we’re taking the pathfinder.

3 minutes ago, locodos said:

Jeans (dungarees) were invented for hard work... then on the basis of aesthetics alone they became popular and everyone started wearing them, not because they were coal miners or lumberjacks but because it became cool.  

Redwing boots...  built for miners, now a fixture on hipsters....   you get it, right?

Trucks used for work, cheap, and purpose built, time passes, and now you have GMC Denali for $80k, Tundras for $70k which are more tailored for public consumption than work.  Sure you can use them to haul and tow but that's not why they are being purchased.

As for you advice to sell the Tundra and buy a smaller truck...  well the current Tacoma is the same size as my 1st Gen Tundra (Which is still too big since I'm not towing big boats anymore).  Who makes a "small" pickup truck?  

Seeing people talk about finances and espouse a "working class" lifestyle with a Chevy Tahoe and an F250 in their driveway: My brother in Christ, you are leasing two luxury vehicles.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Or it could be with the higher sight line in a truck they can see over your vehicle and know there's not a fucking thing in front of you. Move the fuck over, asswipe. You are not the religator of speed.

i can see through the windows just fine and see what's ahead of me when I'm going 80 in the fast lane. I don't need an psycho bully in a 3 ton vehicle behind me at 95 telling me anything.  These guys need to go to jail. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s an easy logical line to draw without even going beyond the fact that trucks are disproportionately driven by men.

That's like saying all women drivers are bad drivers.  The logical line may be easy to draw but may be a fallacy.

I drive a lot.  500+ miles round trip pretty much 40 weekends per year.  West on I-10 to Uvalde and then back east to Houston.  The highway is filled with idiots in all manner of vehicles.  Singling out pickup truck drivers as the boogey man is just dumb. 

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah, in Texas at least, it’s the most worthless feature.   Hail damage, frying your brain, unnecessary leakage, just worthless.   What is the point if you don’t smoke in your ride?  

Most of them you can angle up slightly from front to back rather than open.  It's amazing how much leaving the car vented in that manner keeps it cooler inside during the summer.  Yes, you can crack your windows as well, but give a thief a bit of room and.... 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i can see through the windows just fine and see what's ahead of me when I'm going 80 in the fast lane. I don't need an psycho bully in a 3 ton vehicle behind me at 95 telling me anything.  These guys need to go to jail. 

Then you should quit your job, go through training and become a cop so you can arrest them. Until that happens, follow the law and move right.

I don't get the fascination with the left lane. I drive around 10 over, sometimes more. But when I pass someone, I move right until I have to pass another car. My rule is pass me all you want. Just don't slow down and block things up.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Then you should quit your job, go through training and become a cop so you can arrest them. Until that happens, follow the law and move right.

hey, I suppose you are against all crime, why don't you become a cop too?  BTW, tailgating is illegal, but of course that doesn't apply to super macho pickup psychos lolz.  People seem to forget there's a speed limit, again that doesn't apply to pickups.  Keep in mind that pickups BY FAR do the most tailgating, it's a psychotic process, which can be easily explained.  I'm bigger, do as i say, or i'll kill you. 

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Most of them you can angle up slightly from front to back rather than open.  It's amazing how much leaving the car vented in that manner keeps it cooler inside during the summer.  Yes, you can crack your windows as well, but give a thief a bit of room and.... 

Those old triangle windows in the older trucks were great.  Made them easy to break into, but man they'd cool down the cab in a hurry.  Of if you had a freaky girlfriend that wore sundresses and liked to hike her legs upon the dash, quite the aromatics....

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

hey, I suppose you are against all crime, why don't you become a cop too?  BTW, tailgating is illegal, but of course that doesn't apply to super macho pickup psychos lolz.  People seem to forget there's a speed limit, again that doesn't apply to pickups.  Keep in mind that pickups BY FAR do the most tailgating, it's a psychotic process, which can be easily explained.  I'm bigger, do as i say, or i'll kill you. 

You sound like you have a small penis and went to Baylor.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0325397dc477ad548175d7725568db4f.jpeg

That is almost the price I paid for a new Tacoma TRD Sport (4x2) in 2010. 

Yeah, if you are looking at the TRD Pro options with four doors, you're generally in the mid 40's to low 50's MSRP

Edited by BabaYaga

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My dad had a Toyota T100 years ago. He loved it, but then they stopped making it and it was either go to the gigantic Tundra or the smaller Tacoma. He is in and out of the toolboxes in the bed all day so Toyota made the decision easy.

T100 was a great size for a truck. Toyota got it right, as usual. But we didn’t buy it because it was smaller than an f150 so they caved to market demand and designed the tundra. 

Yeah, if you are looking at the TRD Pro options with four doors, you're generally in the mid 40's to low 50's MSRP

When I picked up my 4runner, the salesman said he had a guy fly in from California and pay $15k over MSRP on a TRD Pro because he couldn’t find one in California. That is an absurd price.

I sold my 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport (replacement for wrecked 2010) with 237,000 miles and some bumper damage for $13,000. Could have got more but wanted it out of the driveway.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

• Like 1

That's like saying all women drivers are bad drivers.  The logical line may be easy to draw but may be a fallacy.
I drive a lot.  500+ miles round trip pretty much 40 weekends per year.  West on I-10 to Uvalde and then back east to Houston.  The highway is filled with idiots in all manner of vehicles.  Singling out pickup truck drivers as the boogey man is just dumb. 

Cool story. It doesn’t change the fact that men are significantly more likely to be the drivers in severe/fatality accidents, DUI’s, etc. - even after accounting for differences in mikes driven between men and women. Actuarially, any vehicle class driven predominantly by men is going to result in more aggressive driving incidents.

You don’t have to take that as a personal affront as a truck driver, because it’s not, but acting like it’s some unproven trope on the macro level is silly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

hey, I suppose you are against all crime, why don't you become a cop too? 

How do you know I'm not? You want to see my pay stub and Corvette rental agreement?

Edited by RPM
  • Haha 2

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

When I picked up my 4runner, the salesman said he had a guy fly in from California and pay $15k over MSRP on a TRD Pro because he couldn’t find one in California. That is an absurd price.

I sold my 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport (replacement for wrecked 2010) with 237,000 miles and some bumper damage for $13,000. Could have got more but wanted it out of the driveway.

Pop's has one in Olympia.  They go up into the mountains all the time and that shorter wheelbase is money.  It's an '09 with less than 80K miles on it and in great condition.  He gets letters left on it from time to time asking if he'd sell it.  He's big like me, so the only drawback is the smaller cab.  For road trips with the dogs, kids always prefer the Tundra as they can spread out and relax.  It's a massive cab and with the bed cover, all the gear can be stored and be out of sight, so anyone with the bright idea of a smash & grab doesn't know what I'm hauling

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Cool story. It doesn’t change the fact that men are significantly more likely to be the drivers in severe/fatality accidents, DUI’s, etc. - even after accounting for differences in mikes driven between men and women. Actuarially, any vehicle class driven predominantly by men is going to result in more aggressive driving incidents.

You don’t have to take that as a personal affront as a truck driver, because it’s not, but acting like it’s some unproven trope on the macro level is silly.

Men across the board are worse drivers.  Not just in trucks, but most makes and models.  Do we want to bring performance cars into the conversations?  Chargers.  Challengers.  Mustangs.  Fast/furious bullshit cars.  

And if we want to talk suburbans - seems most are women.  Soccer moms shuttling kids back and forth.  

Men across the board are worse drivers.  Not just in trucks, but most makes and models.  Do we want to bring performance cars into the conversations?  Chargers.  Challengers.  Mustangs.  Fast/furious bullshit cars.  
And if we want to talk suburbans - seems most are women.  Soccer moms shuttling kids back and forth.  

Right. Which is why I said “any vehicle class driven predominantly by men” instead of just pickup trucks. That does not exclusively refer to pickups, but it absolutely includes them.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Basically anyone that drives a Dodge anything is pretty much guaranteed to be an idiot, redneck or both. Imagine driving a vehicle made by Stellantis lmao, I thought you guys were Americans???????????

• Hook 'Em 1