It's time we talked about pickup trucks

When I see a man that drives a sedan I think of him as a person that doesn't or can't do things for himself. When I see a man driving a truck I think of him as a person who is at least capable of some self reliance. I know its wrong to be stereotypical but that's just my perception. Like my brother in law. Dude doesn't even mow his own lawn and I seriously doubt is able to change his own oil. 
But I'm not from a big city and don't have navigate the same areas or deal with the same issues as some of you.

Haha. My FIL is from rural Arkansas, lives in a small NE Texas town, and couldn’t change the oil on his car/truck. I drove a sedan (Buick Grand National, Buick Skylark) back then.

Guess which one of us taught his son to work on cars? It was the guy with the shiny car that only came in black, not the driver of a clay encrusted Ford.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, otisdog said:

If you are serious about tracking your car, and good enough to go fast, you've got to put a rollbar and harness in to protect you from serious crash. This definitely compromises the usability of said vehicle. Putting or not putting crap into the bed of your truck has no effect on your comfort in the cab.

True. But a 911 is a track car. It’s what it excels at more than anything else. Can it do other things, of course.  Very similar to…a truck. It can do lots of things, but excels at hauling things in the bed and towing heavy loads. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

At this point it is largely anecdotal, but my experience has been the opposite. Between two Tacomas and one 4runner I have about 400,000 miles without a single engine issue. Not even a replaced spark plug.

Extremely anecdotal. I’ve got just under a million miles (889k to be near exact) since 2000 in GMs without a single engine issue (did do the plugs though, and front hubs). Still own all four of them, and drive 3 regularly.  Modern trucks are hard to fuck. It’s not Toyota magic, believe it or not. 

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

It's incredibly un-nerving.  You are turning and the car just....doesn't turn. It plows forward even though the front wheels are literally pointing to the right or left. The solution is to loosen/lighten your grip on the wheel, let it spin back towards center and straighten the tires, re-establish grip, then re engage your turn. 

familiar to anybody that drove an early Mustang

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

I had more issues with my 2nd gen Taco than I have had with my 16 F150 that has more miles

I loved that truck, but the bulletproofness is oversold by Toyota geeks.(and the Toyota tax is 10 times worse than the Apple tax in tech). I've never had an issue with a Ford product.

Same.  Or Dodge. Or Chevy.   I've had an early Ranger, a Bronco, and Astrovan, and a Dakota.  All solid. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

True. But a 911 is a track car. It’s what it excels at more than anything else. 

What it excels at is being a high speed Grand Tourer. It only makes sense owning one if you live in Germany.

If it was a track car it would have a roll bar.

9 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

It's extremely weird to see anyone arguing that trucks aren't a status symbol. Just go to fucking College Station man and take a look around.

If something near the majority drives them, by default it can’t be a status symbol. Plus, there is nothing status like about most trucks. This whole train of thought is completely illogical for a sub $XXXXX vehicle or we have different ideas of status. It’s an SUV with a bed that gets used occasionally if anything. Hell spending $60k on a new F150 makes more sense than a large segment of vehicles on the road for someone looking to buy new.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

If something near the majority drives them, by default it can’t be a status symbol. Plus, there is nothing status like about most trucks. This whole train of thought is completely illogical for a sub $XXXXX vehicle or we have different ideas of status. It’s an SUV with a bed that gets used occasionally if anything. Hell spending $60k on a new F150 makes more sense than a large segment of vehicles on the road for someone looking to buy new.

Read some report a few days ago that “luxury goods” are almost always purchased by “young” people nowadays. 
So yes it is a status symbol for youngens. Most just haven’t figured out interest rates on CC.

Will yell at clouds tomorrow as it almost 8pm and I have to go to sleep.

Edited by Shaddie

Extremely anecdotal. I’ve got just under a million miles (889k to be near exact) since 2000 in GMs without a single engine issue (did do the plugs though, and front hubs). Still own all four of them, and drive 3 regularly.  Modern trucks are hard to fuck. It’s not Toyota magic, believe it or not. 

I would drop the “extremely”. Do a google search for most reliable trucks. I looked at a handful of lists and the Tacoma consistently was at the top of these lists. However, I do think much of the legend is anecdotal.

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

True. But a 911 is a track car. It’s what it excels at more than anything else. Can it do other things, of course.  Very similar to…a truck. It can do lots of things, but excels at hauling things in the bed and towing heavy loads. 

I’m the opposite. I average 25k-30k miles a year, trade every two years, and the last 3 F150’s all had issues. Most were front end related as the 4wd system (which i actually use regularly) was problematic due to the plastic parts used now. The GMC’s prior to that had trans issues. Up until the last 9 months, I towed a lot, drove a lot, and probably wasn’t the easiest on vehicles.

The other benefit to trucks is resale value. I’m out of mine every 2 years or so and have always come out great on buy/trade pricing. Hell, this F250 is going back in for $8k more than the purchase price if i trade it. 

• Like 1

If you are serious about tracking your car, and good enough to go fast, you've got to put a rollbar and harness in to protect you from serious crash. This definitely compromises the usability of said vehicle. Putting or not putting crap into the bed of your truck has no effect on your comfort in the cab.

Lol breaking a 12 sec qtr mile isn’t shit. That’s point tracks require a roll cage.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would drop the “extremely”. Do a google search for most reliable trucks. I looked at a handful of lists and the Tacoma consistently was at the top of these lists. However, I do think much of the legend is anecdotal.

I meant your and my experiences. I know people who have never had an issue, and guys that have beat up their yotas till they broke. But it’s not uncommon for a sane driver to not ever even use the warranty these days. I got a single door speaker replaced with mine. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, BabaYaga said:

Toyota needs to get the god dammit Hilux produced here in the USA.  There is not a more robust, bulletproof vehicle made.  

The best. Land Cruiser is great too. 

image.thumb.jpeg.79e666452097019189431459c5a7e034.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ed9fdb508442e5fafd03b75aa89b7829.jpeg

this was the coolest ride though. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6365a7ddf17123a40f0fb78fd04179d6.jpeg

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Read some report a few days ago that “luxury goods” are almost always purchased by “young” people nowadays. 
So yes it is a status symbol for youngens. Most just haven’t figured out interest rates on CC.

Will yell at clouds tomorrow as it almost 8pm and I have to go to sleep.

Wait, so now trucks are luxury goods? We have very different opinions of that term. I also don’t know that i would agree the average new truck buyer is “young” people unless we have a very different opinion on the term young. My back parking lot at the office has an eclectic mix of vehicles, there is only one newer model truck. Most staff people are in large/small SUV’s, older trucks for the male interns, and a couple of cars.

Just now, fattyflattie said:

That’s a common issue no?  Hubs randomly engaging or some such shit?  Buddy with 150 chased that for years.    

Yes, blew hubs on two, front axle on one, sheared the plastic gearing on one of them with the hub issue, etc. They had vacuum leak issues for several years that would randomly engage a hub and something was breaking when that happened at speed.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

All vehicles are so much better nowadays. 
Us olds member when if you kept a vehicle over 70000 miles you were playing with fire. This was 80’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Yes, blew hubs on two, front axle on one, sheared the plastic gearing on one of them with the hub issue, etc. They had vacuum leak issues for several years that would randomly engage a hub and something was breaking when that happened at speed.

that’s the one. I put some part in for him with the vacuum.  Never asked if it fixed it.  Between that and his “catch can” I used to give him a lot of shit. Mines old af but doesn’t throw itself in 4x randomly. 

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Wait, so now trucks are luxury goods? We have very different opinions of that term. I also don’t know that i would agree the average new truck buyer is “young” people unless we have a very different opinion on the term young. My back parking lot at the office has an eclectic mix of vehicles, there is only one newer model truck. Most staff people are in large/small SUV’s, older trucks for the male interns, and a couple of cars.

Just pointing out that youngsters are willing to put up big bucks for stuff. Honestly how many of those trucks are purchased vs leased. I’m not a surly 2% but I’m not willing to finance or lease a vehicle for 6-8 years. Look up average vehicle loans nowadays. It is stupidity to us olds.  

• Like 1

Haha. My FIL is from rural Arkansas, lives in a small NE Texas town, and couldn’t change the oil on his car/truck. I drove a sedan (Buick Grand National, Buick Skylark) back then.

Guess which one of us taught his son to work on cars? It was the guy with the shiny car that only came in black, not the driver of a clay encrusted Ford.

What town? I might want to avoid there.

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Qft. Wait until you see bay boats.  Not at all unheard of to go over 200k.  

Or wakeboard boats.  Or some of the new versions of pontoon boats.

Lenders writing 12-15 year notes on boats, has allowed the price to skyrocket.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Qft. Wait until you see bay boats.  Not at all unheard of to go over 200k.  

Yeah, but important is important. It’s crazy. Last CC I bought 2003 used was a 1999 was 21k. I’m looking for 17 ft crappie boat and almost all are this price. Like I say, I have to go to sleep so I can yell at clouds tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Or wakeboard boats.  Or some of the new versions of pontoon boats.

Lenders writing 12-15 year notes on boats, has allowed the price to skyrocket.

That should be part of this topic too, though. Think I saw somewhere you can finance 8 years now, or 9, on a vehicle?  People aren’t worried about their 250 being 85k, as long as they got that 1k/mo note.  You see it with the for sale ads. 1 year old, 95k miles, 70k+.   Nah bruh. 

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I like the hilux from a mechanical standpoint but don’t like how the front end looks. I think the Tacoma is a better looking truck. I see a ton of Hilux in Brazil but still haven’t driven one. I saw a cherry one here in Houston that someone imported.

I would love an old Land Cruiser.

I have an old '72 FJ... it's simple stupid and basically indestructible

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, otisdog said:

What it excels at is being a high speed Grand Tourer. It only makes sense owning one if you live in Germany.

If it was a track car it would have a roll bar.

Went looking for a 911 in '86. Bought a 944S off the truck instead. Sales guy said the 911 is quicker and faster, but it will beat you up.

The 944S is a touring car. You can drive it 500 miles/day back to back and enjoy the experience. Not the same in a 911. 

It was a great driving car. "Drive it like you stole' it." Marvel of Engineering, and a maintenance nightmare.

If you have property in the country, you need a truck.  

6 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Went looking for a 911 in '86. Bought a 944S off the truck instead. Sales guy said the 911 is quicker and faster, but it will beat you up.

The 944S is a touring car. You can drive it 500 miles/day back to back and enjoy the experience. Not the same in a 911. 

It was a great driving car. "Drive it like you stole' it." Marvel of Engineering, and a maintenance nightmare.

If you have property in the country, you need a truck.  

Off topic. Avoid if you can. 
Worked with a guy who was 1st Lamborghini tech in states. He told me all about how their biggest issue was training owners how to drive them and how to maintain them. He said he told more than 1 they shouldn’t own this vehicle. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Most of them you can angle up slightly from front to back rather than open.  It's amazing how much leaving the car vented in that manner keeps it cooler inside during the summer.  Yes, you can crack your windows as well, but give a thief a bit of room and.... 

i constantly leave my roof vented with the back popped.  when parked it helps air the car out, when it's not hot out it helps vent the car on the road without the noise and cyclone i get cracking windows. 

also someone slipped a bag of microwave popcorn through there once 😁

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I like the hilux from a mechanical standpoint but don’t like how the front end looks. I think the Tacoma is a better looking truck. I see a ton of Hilux in Brazil but still haven’t driven one. I saw a cherry one here in Houston that someone imported.

I would love an old Land Cruiser.

I know an old guy who lives in South Padre and goes to Mexico a lot.  He bought a plain white Hilux, claims he can drive it down there and is a lot less likely to get fucked with than if he was driving an F150.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My first vehicle was a Chevy S-10, then I later had a 2009 Silverado Crew Cab that I bought newish and got rid of a few years later. I’ve driven 4Runners ever since then and pretty happy with that switch.

I kinda hated that Silverado because the turning radius was shit, it was a pain in the ass to park, it had terrible acceleration, and it didn’t fit in the garage of either of the 2 houses I lived in at that time. Whatever small usefulness the bed gave me a handful of times a year was not worth it. Was happy to get rid of it.

My biggest frustration with current truck owners is that many trucks are too damned big for average parking spots in the city, but instead of parking at the far end of the lot, people park their trucks in the closest available spot even when it doesn’t fit, which crams the adjacent spots or makes them practically unusable. If you choose to drive a massive vehicle, then accept the longer walk and don’t be an inconsiderate dick over parking.

Granted, that could also be said about Suburbans, Escalades, Excursions, and other large SUVs. For whatever reason, they seem to do it to a lesser degree, or maybe I have a bias affecting my observations.

The societal arguments against truck ownership would obviously be fuel economy and safety.

Fuel economy is an equally valid criticism of many other cars including my 4Runner (which I drive ~25 miles/week). That will hopefully become less of a concern if people, including truck owners, transition to EVs over the next 10-20 years. I know some people have specific needs for their truck in which an EV is not realistic based on today’s technology and infrastructure, but many truck owners would do equally fine in an electric truck.

Safety seems like an obvious problem for trucks and SUVs getting progressively bigger. They may be more safe for the occupants but less safe for whatever they run into. We should ideally be incentivizing more small cars for climate purposes, but it seems like small cars become relatively less safe the more they share the road with larger trucks.

I disagree that trucks are a status symbol for most people because 95% of people are neither impressed nor offended by a person driving a truck. It’s a fairly benign and commonplace decision. It likely makes a statement for some men who want to project maximum masculinity to their peers, and I think a lot of us know at least a few people for who this is true, even if it isn’t true of the average truck owner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Worked with a guy who was 1st Lamborghini tech in states. He told me all about how their biggest issue was training owners how to drive them and how to maintain them. He said he told more than 1 they shouldn’t own this vehicle. 

Remember when the Dodge Viper first rolled out.  Widow maker

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Shaddie said:

You can buy a Chevy 1500 that will match a Countach 0-60.  You can buy SUVs that will whip it all day, with the munchkins in the back seat. 

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

My biggest frustration with current truck owners is that many trucks are too damned big for average parking spots in the city, but instead of parking at the far end of the lot, people park their trucks in the closest available spot even when it doesn’t fit, which crams the adjacent spots or makes them practically unusable. If you choose to drive a massive vehicle, then accept the longer walk and don’t be an inconsiderate dick over parking.

if your choice of vehicle forces you to park like a douchebag even when you park carefully... well...

(valeted)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221223/33608143c009d28876fb0ed0ae215c75.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Granted, that could also be said about Suburbans, Escalades, Excursions, and other large SUVs. For whatever reason, they seem to do it to a lesser degree, or maybe I have a bias affecting my observations.

I'd buy this line of thinking if the typical small vehicle owner could/would park between the lines . . . but they don't.  Shitty parkers drive all size and shape of vehicle, unfortunately.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

if your choice of vehicle forces you to park like a douchebag even when you park carefully... well...

(valeted)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221223/33608143c009d28876fb0ed0ae215c75.jpg

He was probably only there for a second while he ran in to grab his penis pump. 

Edited by Deej

I'd buy this line of thinking if the typical small vehicle owner could/would park between the lines . . . but they don't.  Shitty parkers drive all size and shape of vehicle, unfortunately.  

I agree with your last sentence, but someone can park a Honda Civic crooked and the adjacent spots are still usable.

For a full-sized truck (or large SUV for that matter), if it’s slightly crooked or off-center, the adjacent spot is often screwed. Wouldn’t be that big of a deal if people would have enough self awareness to park farther away where there are more empty spots, but lots of people refuse to do that.

Also, when it comes to an F-250 or larger, the average parking space isn’t large enough to accommodate them, no matter how good the driver parks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I agree with your last sentence, but someone can park a Honda Civic crooked and the adjacent spots are still usable.

For a full-sized truck (or large SUV for that matter), if it’s slightly crooked or off-center, the adjacent spot is often screwed. Wouldn’t be that big of a deal if people would have enough self awareness to park farther away where there are more empty spots, but lots of people refuse to do that.

Also, when it comes to an F-250 or larger, the average parking space isn’t large enough to accommodate them, no matter how good the driver parks.

I completely agree with your take on the trucks. In inner cities, Austin in particular it seems, the spots (and even most lanes - need room for those striped off areas for bikes that no one is ever, ever, ever, riding a bike in) are way too small for trucks that size.  I rented a Yukon for week and hated every second of it driving around in Austin.  I can't imagine an F-250. 

Out in the burbs I assume it's much more manageable, and that's ultimately what this discussion comes down to, which is the same thing most hot debates come down to. Life in the suburbs/rural areas is completely different than life in the city, but most people, no matter what area they live in, are so god damned certain that their opinon is the only way things should work when in reality it's just what is best for where they're at.  We don't need the same rules in the city as the suburbs.  But we're all in our little bubbles and think everyone else is crazy. 

I don't agree with you regarding small cars, however.  It seems like the absolutely shittiest parking I see comes from people in the tiniest cars possible, and they're often way over the lines and disrupting parking for others.  If you can't park a Prius, you shouldn't be allowed to drive anything.  If you can't park an F-250, you should be forced to drive smaller and smaller vehicles until you find one you can handle.

• Like 1