It's time we talked about pickup trucks

Just now, Gatorubet said:

I was parked next to a giant yellow fucking Ford Tonka truck and ran into the owner when I came out of the store. $110,000 according to him. 

Maybe you have to show a DSM-5 narcissist diagnosis to qualify to buy it.  That is one big yellow bitch.

Spending that kind of money on a depreciating asset doesn’t float or fuck is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Thread is tl;dr. You can't "roll coal" without a big ass pickup truck that never hauls shit. That's the assumption I have when I see these things.

I bet you can roll coal in one of those Chevy Colorado diesels. As a matter of fact, I’d love to see that. Good laugh to be had. Even better if they had the exhaust replumbed up through the bed behind the cab. 

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I kinda hated that Silverado because the turning radius was shit, it was a pain in the ass to park, it had terrible acceleration, and it didn’t fit in the garage of either of the 2 houses I lived in at that time.

You had a Silverado with worse acceleration that a 4-runner?  

54 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Out in the burbs I assume it's much more manageable, and that's ultimately what this discussion comes down to, which is the same thing most hot debates come down to. Life in the suburbs/rural areas is completely different than life in the city, but most people, no matter what area they live in, are so god damned certain that their opinon is the only way things should work when in reality it's just what is best for where they're at.  We don't need the same rules in the city as the suburbs.  But we're all in our little bubbles and think everyone else is crazy. 

QFT.  I have zero issues with spots pretty much until I get downtown. Airport is fine, even.  I park way out in the back at lots because inconsiderate pricks and kids can’t manage the handle on their door while opening them, and vehicles are expensive. Between HS and college I drove one of those international 4900’s with a 26’ flatbed all around Houston for a few years, so I have a different perspective than most.   I still can’t park my wife’s XL for shit though, at least with the camera. But can fit my considerably larger truck in exact place I want it, go figure.  Rental place fucked me this week and I’m driving a tiny little Ford SUV, smallest thing I’ve even driven. It feels like a death trap, but is super convenient in Miami.  A truck here would be…difficult. 

On 1/24/2023 at 8:44 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I know we’re focused on pickups, but as you note the SUV is also classified as a light truck. And that includes things like unibody cross overs and small SUVs like a C-RV. Absurd that the CAFE and emission standards for these things are different than a sedan or wagon because of maybe two inches of ride height. 

Agreed.

Plus, I’m not sure that the current generation of full size SUVs are higher - the cabin might be but the ground clearance certainly is not when factoring the rear suspension.

It has gotten stupid.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:19 PM, PTINS said:

Went looking for a 911 in '86. Bought a 944S off the truck instead. Sales guy said the 911 is quicker and faster, but it will beat you up.

The 944S is a touring car. You can drive it 500 miles/day back to back and enjoy the experience. Not the same in a 911. 

You might find this hard to believe, but the 911's ride has improved in the last 37 years...

• Haha 1

I have a 4 door F150 that has stuff in the back a few days a week for work, and tows a trailer once a month or so.

Got it when we had our first kid, prior to this job.  I’d had a S-10 from high school through college with a Lexus for a bit prior to kids. 

I almost got rid of the truck prior to this job. As a family vehicle there are definitely better options, but I’m not keeping two vehicles and couldn’t go switch out prior to snagging the kids most days anyways. 

Why there aren’t more hybrid powertrains does confuse me. More low end torque and better fuel efficiency seems like a no brainer. 

I paid 32k for my truck. No idea what I’ll do when this one wears out. Prices are nuts. 

17 minutes ago, drt said:

Why there aren’t more hybrid powertrains does confuse me. More low end torque and better fuel efficiency seems like a no brainer. 

Demand, mostly, probably driven by consumer uncertainty about the long-term viability of those platforms from a cost and reliability standpoint, and the increased up front cost of purchasing a hybrid version of an existing gas/diesel vehicle. Hybrid powertrains are more expensive to build and are much more susceptible to supply chain issues and unexpected catastrophic repair costs than traditional gas engines are for the most part. Even on the lower-to-mid range hybrid I was driving before my current car, battery replacement cost was pretty high. The flip side of that coin is they are overall pretty cheap to drive and are very dependable. EVs aren't necessarily more reliable, but they utilize significantly less complex systems and therefore have substantially fewer potential points of failure.

There's also the issue with the overall layout of the US. Hybrid cars are great, nearly as good as electric in fact, at being very efficient to drive in the city. However, they are not as efficient on the highway, and a lot of Americans do a significant amount of highway driving. If you're going to live anywhere that isn't a city and you have a decently-sized commute, a hybrid vehicle isn't that much better than a well put together gas or diesel powertrain.

That may be more of a design issue, though they are designed this way for a reason (cost). Most hybrid vehicles have underpowered gasoline engines. Since your battery in a hybrid is relatively small (most probably get 20ish miles on electric only power), your gas engine is going to be doing a lot more of the heavy lifting when you're on the highway, and since it's an underpowered engine relative to the size of your vehicle, your highway efficiency is not going to be great overall. The flip side of that, is putting more powerful engines and bigger batteries in hybrid cars greatly increases their cost and thus makes them impractical for most people.

I commute about 100ish miles a couple days a week for work. My previous car (hybrid) would average about 38 MPG on the highway. My current car (twin turbo V6) averages around 34 MPG on the highway, give or take. If you're living in a larger city and mostly commuting within that city, you might as well just go full EV instead of getting a hybrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drt said:

mWhy there aren’t more hybrid powertrains does confuse me. More low end torque and better fuel efficiency seems like a no brainer. 

Take all the weight, complexities, and downsides of a combustion powertrain…now add an electric powertrain on top of that. 

Subtraction by addition….

A while back I was in a mood and I came out of the grocery store and saw a pick-up (f250) parked next to me, partially in my parking spot, and about 6 inches from my driver's side.  I let slip "look at this asshole" or something like that.  The guy was walking behind me and says "really?" as he was offended by my comment.  To his credit, he recognized his mistake when I pointed out how I couldn't get in my car and he shrugged his shoulders as if to say "that's fair" and he left.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

A while back I was in a mood and I came out of the grocery store and saw a pick-up (f250) parked next to me, partially in my parking spot, and about 6 inches from my driver's side.  I let slip "look at this asshole" or something like that.  The guy was walking behind me and says "really?" as he was offended by my comment.  To his credit, he recognized his mistake when I pointed out how I couldn't get in my car and he shrugged his shoulders as if to say "that's fair" and he left.  

that's a guy i can respect, own up to his mistake, certainly not deliberate intention. 

What do you guys think about Tundra?  Youtube reviews are surprisingly negative , especially about the interior build quaility with below grade plastics. 

What about the Rivian EV truck , one model comes with a built in kitchen!  Looks interesting, and damn fast. 

My fav is the Dodge Ram Longhorn Laramie with the gorgeous interior + 12 " screen. Is that a reliable trouble free thing?  

Rivian was featured in the Ewen McGregor show "Long Way UP" as the backbone support vehicle.    It's a strange buddy motorcycle riding show as they rode from Argentina to L.A. on motorcycles.  Apparently they have done this before.   They also rode two prototype prototype electric motorcycles. 

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Parking wouldn't be a problem if every parking lot had angled parking spots and not that stupid fucking straight parking spot shit. 

local publix has angle parking and when some dipshit comes up the wrong way I enjoy putting my truck exactly in the middle of the lane and staring like

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’m on I 10 west with a Subaru tailgating me. 

Im traumatized and intimidated 

HALP!!!

Get out of the fast lane and quit texting and driving.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

On 1/25/2023 at 4:48 PM, Bateshorn said:

Spending that kind of money on a depreciating asset doesn’t float or fuck is beyond me. 

You got that right.  The boat market, especially Center Consoles right now (well actually the last 3 years), has been pretty good for re-sale.  I could make money on my Sea Hunt that I bought used right when Covid hit March '20.

19 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

What about the Rivian EV truck , one model comes with a built in kitchen!  Looks interesting, and damn fast.

i think it looks awesome as a non-truck guy and the functional design looks thoughtful.  software of the car is reported to be laggy and bad (vs tesla). 

19 hours ago, Nivek said:

Rivian was featured in the Ewen McGregor show "Long Way UP" as the backbone support vehicle.    It's a strange buddy motorcycle riding show as they rode from Argentina to L.A. on motorcycles.  Apparently they have done this before.   They also rode two prototype prototype electric motorcycles. 

its their 3rd show.  1st one goes longitudinally (across mongolia) and inspired me a bit.  worth watching.  2nd one goes latitudinally (through africa) and got a bit boring and repetitive.

pickups
Olivia Heller

How America’s pickups are changing

The Ford F-150 has been America’s bestselling car for 41 years.

Last year, an F-Series Truck was sold every 49 seconds, and pickups accounted for the top three bestselling cars nationwide.

Interestingly — despite stunts like this one, where an F-150 tows a double-decker freight train filled with 42 other F-150s — data shows a third of pickup owners rarely or never use their truck for hauling, while two-thirds rarely or never use it for towing, per Axios.

• Instead, 87% of pickup owners frequently use their truck for shopping, and 70% say they do so for pleasure driving.

To accommodate for this, today’s F-150s are 63% cab and 37% bed, a near-total opposite from early generations’ 36% cab, 64% bed design.

So what?

Since 1990, the average mass of US vehicles has increased 25%. Pickups are already a safety concern, with twice the pedestrian strike fatality rate as smaller vehicles.

They’re getting heavier, too, as the industry electrifies them with enormous batteries. Ford’s F-150 Lightning, for instance, at ~6.5k pounds, weighs 35% more than its gasoline twin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw one of these in a parking lot a couple of days ago. It looks ridiculous, but if I'm honest, it would be perfect for what I actually need/use. An open bed for the occasional times I have to haul stuff, yet the size/maneuverability of a car.

2003 Subaru Baja | T41 | Las Vegas 2017

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Saw one of these in a parking lot a couple of days ago. It looks ridiculous, but if I'm honest, it would be perfect for what I actually need/use. An open bed for the occasional times I have to haul stuff, yet the size/maneuverability of a car.

As I mentioned upthread, I like the Santa Cruz for that reason. 

Were I a wealthier man, I’d have a commute vehicle and the truck for truck stuff. But I don’t like the idea of a beater for either role. 

This is 100% fake. There is no way Kevin, killer of bears, cougars and baboons would ever walk away from this situation without beating down said truck owner.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As I mentioned upthread, I like the Santa Cruz for that reason. 

Were I a wealthier man, I’d have a commute vehicle and the truck for truck stuff. But I don’t like the idea of a beater for either role. 

The Santa Cruz has a built-in, locking tonneau cover, too.

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Suburu is your friend who drinks beer and can talk about chicks and softball.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If they'd get rid of that gray shit and make it one color, I'd become a lesbian and drive it. 

12 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Looks like a Pontiac Aztec fucked a 92 izuzu  truck. 

• Haha 2

3-1505771103908@2x.jpg?1510774653000

Perfect for surfing and camping. If I were a teenager that would be my what I wished for.