It's time we talked about pickup trucks

FirstTimeCaller

A truck is realistically the only option where I live, but the prices are fucking crazy.  I'm a simple man.  I don't want all the electronic gizmos that everyone seems to be enthralled with these days.

I have 6 requirements for a truck...gasoline engine (because diesels are a pain in the ass to get started in the deep cold), 3/4 ton minimum, 4WD, full size bed, front hooks, and at least an extended cab for gear transport.

The last truck I looked at up here was a fleet model F250, which is fine with me, and they wanted almost $75K for the thing.  Fuck that.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 1:26 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m certainly not seeing 43k worth of aftermarket shit on that list. 

Might be a breakeven if you factor in the cost of a penis enlargement. 

Speaking of, I saw this bad boy yesterday 

IMG_20230202_164851.thumb.jpg.ae8a886523beab3f59385ef950596420.jpg

His fancy shrine for his spare tire occupied about 75% of the bed. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I admire your back-country spirit.  And sometimes I do wish I never got rid of my F-150.  but two questions:
1.  Do all 6 of you sleep in that small tent?  
2.  Was the F-150 able to traverse the aggressive topographical undulation I see there in the background?  

I assumed it was a sex tent
  • Haha 3

my first vehicle (2006) was a 1984 Chevy C10, not unlike the below but not nearly as nice image.png.06520c17864753ac5bb2630fa9c56a62.png

I loved that thing, feels about as wide as it is long.  We sold it for around $500 when it started having rust in the fuel tank, which my dad and I both regret to this day.  These things are selling for 30k plus now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurt said:

my first vehicle (2006) was a 1984 Chevy C10, not unlike the below but not nearly as nice image.png.06520c17864753ac5bb2630fa9c56a62.png

I loved that thing, feels about as wide as it is long.  We sold it for around $500 when it started having rust in the fuel tank, which my dad and I both regret to this day.  These things are selling for 30k plus now.

Love those trucks.  Would kill to have one as my daily or weekend driver and get back my '12 Turbo Diesel Jetta as my other vehicle.  

22 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I admire your back-country spirit.  And sometimes I do wish I never got rid of my F-150.  but two questions:

1.  Do all 6 of you sleep in that small tent?  

2.  Was the F-150 able to traverse the aggressive topographical undulation I see there in the background?  

1. No - we had the camp trailer for that that we sold. Kids are all older now and that was a trip with BILs. We were shooting and my nephew's dog got scared and clawed holes in my tent to try to get away. I now have a new tent lol.

2. We really going cross country. Out of the picture is a dirt trail. 

A couple more pics from the same trip.

IMG_0375.JPEG

IMG_0327.JPEG

IMG_0334.JPEG

IMG_0367.JPEG

IMG_0368.JPEG

• Hook 'Em 5

On 1/31/2023 at 10:24 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Just bought a new F150.  Ordered it in September and picked it up two days before Christmas. Man, I love it.  I buy a new truck every ten years, and the new tech is pretty awesome.  Mine is a hybrid with the 7500 watt generator.  I get about 18 miles to the gallon so far. I love this truck.  So many new features and electronics have come online in the last 10 years since I bought one.

I drive a truck because I like them and need something to pull my boat and my 16 foot trailer I use when I go hunting.  It is the best of all worlds to me.  With the Retrax bed cover it is very nice for family trips.  We drove to Santa Fe to ski during holidays and had plenty of room.

They have gotten expensive.  I think I paid $54k for my last truck.  This one was significantly more.  Ridiculous costs, but I keep mine for at least ten years so I don't care.  

I don't know the exact name but Ford has a PU with a "power pro" package with a generator you can run your entire house off of. Pretty damned expensive if my memory serves me right. In the past I would have thought it a waste, but with our screwed up power  companies and continual power outrages it might be worth it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I don't know the exact name but Ford has a PU with a "power pro" package with a generator you can run your entire house off of. Pretty damned expensive if my memory serves me right. In the past I would have thought it a waste, but with our screwed up power  companies and continual power outrages it might be worth it. 

Only seen that claim from them on the lightning electric f150. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

My dad used to have an 83 single cab lwb C10 when I was a kid. I hope to find another one someday to play around with.

733C85F4-6DE5-4CD0-8FFF-D93E263CB8BD.webp.c11f307c949ab4b000c97e2ac6120613.webp

I learned to drive with something very similar to this. A Chevy Luv. I can’t remember if it was a four-speed or a five-speed. It was easy for us kids to reach the clutch, so that’s what Dad used to teach us to drive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

733C85F4-6DE5-4CD0-8FFF-D93E263CB8BD.webp.c11f307c949ab4b000c97e2ac6120613.webp

I learned to drive with something very similar to this. A Chevy Luv. I can’t remember if it was a four-speed or a five-speed. It was easy for us kids to reach the clutch, so that’s what Dad used to teach us to drive. 

You just never see LUV trucks on the road. 

47 minutes ago, Anwar Namtut said:

In high school, I looked at a Luv that had a Chevy V8 in it. I didn't buy it, but it would have been awesome. 

Had a buddy that had a 289 in a '71 Datsun compact truck, could not keep rear tires on that thing.

CHIEF

I bought a Maverick with the Ecoboost last April. It’s great. Perfect size and does everything I need it to do. I went a little crazy with options and still got out the door for So glad small pickups are coming back. 
Is there a big difference from the Ranger? I've only seen 3 or 4 in the wild. Didn't see it at the auto show either.

29 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
59 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
I bought a Maverick with the Ecoboost last April. It’s great. Perfect size and does everything I need it to do. I went a little crazy with options and still got out the door for So glad small pickups are coming back. 

Is there a big difference from the Ranger? I've only seen 3 or 4 in the wild. Didn't see it at the auto show either.

Cheaper, Better MPG and ride, roomier cab (especially shoulder space) despite the smaller footprint, unibody. 
it’s basically the same platform as the Bronco sport, but in truck form. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Knew a guy that had one slammed and tubbed for a drag truck. It was bad ass. Ugly as fuck though.

There was one like that running around town when I grew up. If the big slicks in back didn’t give it away, the dual holly’s on a tunnel ram sticking out of the hole in the hood sure did. I think the frame had a permanent torque twist.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:56 PM, tokamak said:

Trucks are crazy expensive - yet I still see a million of them on the road. Seems like a paradox. How are there so many people out there that can afford $60k vehicles?

They finance them for 8 years or something stupid like that

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lol a 460 with a plow, and pushing snow. You must burn gallons a minute when you are running it. 

It gets a smooth 9 mpg on the highway. No clue what it gets when pushing snow. 

It snowed about 14 inches over the last week. Never snowed hard, just didn’t stop until Friday. Plowed 3 miles of road in less than 3 hours. It will push just about anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 8:11 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

and now $100k Grand Wagoneers and drive them like they own the road?   

Local Jeep dealer is killing it. We’ve got no less than 10 of them running around the neighborhood over last 6 months.  Buddy’s wife got one. You can miss me on 100k for that. 

On 2/5/2023 at 9:24 AM, mooseoutfront said:

I was out plowing the road yesterday and thought of this thread

Here is my plow rig, a 1985 F250 with a 460 big block and 4 speed manual transmission. Love this truck. 

53702945-6310-4105-9027-16A4F5BC6AE7.jpeg

I don't know if you can get any more opposite of what I had in mind when I started this thread! What a beauty.