Lafayette LA area food

Ag with kids

That old thread hasn’t been updated in nearly 4 years.

Spoonbill in downtown Lafayette is fun and really good.

Old Tyme Grocery near the university is your poboy spot

Down the road in Breaux Bridge is Cafe Sydney Mae….used to be Cafe Mes Amie. Been there once right after everything opened up after Covid and it was awesome. Good food and great atmosphere with live music

• Hook 'Em 1

No Pre Jeans anyone?

Been about 10 years but back then that was on everyone’s Cajun list. Last time there, sitting in a booth and guys behind me talking I couldn’t understand a word they were saying. Figured I was in the right place. 

Also 1st time I had seen the gumbo and tater salad combo.

Edited by Shaddie
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:21 PM, elfenix said:

i assume meche's donut king is still the best king cake you'll find. 

Keller’s bakery is better, IMO.

Obviously Olde Tyme is great, and easily my favorite po’boy regardless of location. Pop’s Po’boy downtown is also good, and they put a more modern twist on their many combinations.

Don’s Seafood is pretty good for fried Cajun stuff, Dwight’s for crawfish. Judice Inn is an institution for burgers.. the burgers are small and they don’t serve fries but grab a couple of them and you’ll be a happy camper. For Mediterranean, Zeus on Johnston doesn’t look like much but we will get it for lunch just about every time we visit the in-laws. As far as nicer places, Charlie G’s and Social are both very good, and Cafe Vermillionville may be the nicest restaurant in town. We had our wedding reception there so I’m especially fond of it. I’ve got more but this should cover most of your bases.

Edited by Etexhorn13

On 1/23/2023 at 5:29 PM, Shaddie said:

Also 1st time I had seen the gumbo and tater salad combo.

Cajun friend introduced me to the scoop of tater salad in the bowl of gumbo. Now I won't hardly eat it any other way. When I make gumbo now, I always make a potato salad. Everyone who has ever eaten it at my house first looks at the combo with a sideways glance--then wonders why it was hidden from them for so long. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, squib said:

Cajun friend introduced me to the scoop of tater salad in the bowl of gumbo. Now I won't hardly eat it any other way. When I make gumbo now, I always make a potato salad. Everyone who has ever eaten it at my house first looks at the combo with a sideways glance--then wonders why it was hidden from them for so long. 

I’m not a fan.  
The contrast in flavors (depending on tater salad style) just too much. To me gumbo is “rich” and rice gives a little relief. I love mustard tater salad but when I want gumbo I want nothing to get in the way of it. As usual though it is always personal preference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, marriedup said:

when I was growing up, whenever we went to visit my grandad in Breaux Bridge, he took us to either Pat's or Don's in downtown Lafayette. Looks like they are still open 40 years later so they must be doing something right.

I had one scorched gumbo at the Don's in Beaumont way back when.  The server and manager agreed.  They comped it and gave me a martini and some oysters.  Don's is good people in my book.